Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Does anyone know of any good weird/alien plants for basing? I'm doing an alien desert theme and have some crystals but kinda want something more organic. Open to building or buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

JBP posted:

Will plastic glue melt through paint? I've been dumb trying to do my intercessors in batches and I feel like I've hosed up

No you should scrape off the paint on the points of contact as that holds better. Also go light with it, it might cause it to frost.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Ropes4u posted:

Debating cork style bases for my death guard, a few rocks and an occasional plant would round out the bases. Thoughts?

Yea but skip the rocks and tufts and do this instead

http://fantasygames.com.pl/how-to-make-nurgle-base

I did this with my plaguebearers but went with a pink-purple to make it look like spilled guts

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Skails posted:

That guy is looking awesome.

Working on the old Vampire Counts black coach. Finished up the vampire, now to lock him away in the back.

How did you do the marble on the coffin? It looks fantastic.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Filthy Hans posted:

dunno, no, no I bought it this summer and had problems from the get go

at first I thought brush-on priming was inherently lovely but now I'm thinking maybe I got a dud bottle, I've had it sitting upside-down for a couple of days and I'm going to shake it like it for 10 mins before I try it again and if it's still lovely I'll give up on it

Odds are its a dud, my white is the same way but my black is perfect right out of the bottle

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Scarab Occult Sorcerer done. Now to paint the rest of the squad. And then the 30 rubrics in my queue.

album:
https://imgur.com/gallery/t12UeOy

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Werix posted:

Looks good. I had a very fruitful xmas and was given the Tsons start collecting box, another box of rubrics, and a box of exalted sorcerers. If I buy a box of the scrab occult, I'll have more than enough for anything kill team.

My FLGS didn't have thousand sons blue, but I did get kantor blue, so I'll either use those or the army painter ultrimarine blue I have.

Go with the Kantor. The blue I used here is Vallejo Dark Prussian Blue (which is equivalent to Kantor Blue) with a wash of Druchii Violet.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Scarab Occult Terminators done.

Now just to come up with a name for the familiar...

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Can anyone recommend any good viking style heads? I'm thinking of converting some untamed beasts to be marauders (how old is that kit anyway?) for my StD army.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
I finished my converted Tzeentch Cultists :toot:

Album: https://imgur.com/gallery/V100gwG

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Electric Hobo posted:

I painted another fire guy for Malifaux. A huge boy this time.

Whats that tuft of grass from? Its perfect from a project I'm working on. Also sick flames.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Kitty.

Now two questions: How do I paint this dang thing? Where can I get 60mm bases in the US that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Anyone have any ideas for basing emperors children (magenta primary)?

I'm feeling like grey with some orange details (rusted metal?)

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Im not sure what to do on the runes on the wings here - I'm thinking either light blue or bright green - suggestions?

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Does anyone have a guide on or any tips for painting black talons? Everything I am finding is for tan bone and I want more like what an eagle has.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Magnus update:

a somewhat better shot of the skin (magnus is so big its hard to take pictures of him)

The big question is how to do the armor. I'm split between solid gold, gold with silver trim, or gold trim with dark blue (ala the rubric in that first pic)

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
I am at a crossroads - how do I do the armor on my magnus?

full?

half?

minimal?

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
How does Vallejo Gold Metal Color hold up to GW Retributor Armor? My pot RA is almost done and I adore the VMCs I just don't want a noticeable difference between my models painted with RA and the VMC.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
I need to redo the photos but Magnus is done.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Thanqol posted:

I really hope the multipart chaos knights are less insane than these fuckers to assemble.

How did you do that grungy bronze? That's the look Ive been trying to nail with my std.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Strelok604 posted:

As someone who's never painted anything I really chose the wrong army to want to play with Thousand Sons

I just can't do these tiny details without it looking messy and awful, at least not yet.

Capillary action is your best friend. Your other best friend is a 00 brush.

You'll want to thin your blue until its almost at the point of being a wash, like when you apply it you'll see a lot of gold still. At this point it will flow naturally into all the hard to get places. While its still wet and thin add a tiny bit of straight from the pot paint, the pigment will spread out. Hitting the blue areas with a wash (I use druchii violet) will also help with the edges.

The same goes with the headdresses. If the blue over spills into the cracks dont worry, you can always go back with a mincron pen or a pin wash to neaten things out.

I also highly suggest sub assemblies

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
20 Tzaangors/Kararic Alcylotes done :toot:

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Test run for my necromundia bases (and first time messing w/oil paints)

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
10x Corpse Grinder Cultists done

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Big Colorful Cat

Album
https://imgur.com/gallery/Nv75EQb

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Finished some grubby (and somewhat out of focus) chaos cultists.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Goff Burna Bommer done.

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a light box?

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

jesus WEP posted:

Would appreciate some criticism or suggestions how to improve the skin on this guy.

I would both go higher with another highlight and think about deepening the shadows - something like a pure black/dark green in the deepest recesses - particularity on the hands and face.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Lifetime77 posted:

Anyone ever done spot stripping of paint on a miniature? To be specific I’m looking to re do just the helmets of my thousand son rubric marines. I grabbed some of this since, per the spikes bits video on it, it can take the paint off in thirty seconds and since the models are assembled and I only want to strip the head. I figure this is the best bet.

The plan is to apply it with an eye dropper, let it pool and go at it with the tooth brush.

https://www.bluerailhobbies.com/pro...xIaAi1aEALw_wcB

If you super glued (not plastic cemented) the heads in you can put them in the freezer for a bit to weaken the bond and they should snap off cleanly. That should be much easier to work with than trying to spot strip/

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Vargskyrs done

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Winklebottom posted:

Looks great, how'd you do the gore/drool from the mouth?

Volupus Pink + Gryph-Hound Orange mixed with gloss varnish on a small piece of string. For the 'globs' you want to do multiple passes to build up thickness

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Glaurio ven Alten III and Jelsen Darrock from cursed city done.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Luminous Cow posted:

Here’s my first ever CSM painted. Be gentle, I’m new at this :D

Take it from a Thousand Sons player - if you going for gold trim paint your gold first then fill in the rest of the colors. Give it an all over drybrush with gold (making sure to get all of the trim), a quick wash with a brown, then a very light highlight with lighter gold or silver. Then just go thin with your red paining in the non gold areas and dont kill yourself with trying to be super exact with getting it up to the trim. A brown wash on your red will not only work great with the red but fit in with the gold and will cover a lot of mistakes.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Mikey Purp posted:

"en grisaille" method

Did you find that this made a big difference? Ive been looking into this but it feels like its going to get the same effects as a zenithal but with more steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
Abby done. Fun kit. Big upgrade from its last iteration.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjGzPofrSoR/