Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Warning to anyone who uses Bones: InstaMorph at any softness absolutely loves to stick to Bones plastic. I had quite a disaster when trying to sculpt a temporary painting base for my Great Old One out of InstaMorph .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Paolomania posted:

Warning to anyone who uses Bones: InstaMorph at any softness absolutely loves to stick to Bones plastic. I had quite a disaster when trying to sculpt a temporary painting base for my Great Old One out of InstaMorph .

Ok on a second try I got it by speculatively molding it most of the way, and then doing some fitting only when the InstaMorph was barely workable.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

How is the color scheme looking on this Old One? I'm freehand painting (this is a sloppy tonal blocking - blending to come later) and going for vibrant / high contrast because I will be varnishing for table top use (which always mutes everything).

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Tenasscity posted:

Does anyone know a good place to get empty dropper bottles? I've been scouring old forums posts and online retailers and I cant seem to find a good deal +shipping unless I get something shipped form China (and the 2+week shipping time that entails) Any local hobby store retailers like Hobby Lobby or Michaels have decent bottles?

I got a bunch of all-LDPE-plastic dropper bottles for about 1USD/each at a brick-and-mortar art supply store like Dick Blick, but their online store seems to only have a fancier version. If you search online for "1/2 oz plastic squeeze bottle" or "15mL plastic squeeze bottle" you will find the same item sold in other contexts, so you could also try checking medical and science supply stores.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Paolomania posted:

How is the color scheme looking on this Old One? I'm freehand painting (this is a sloppy tonal blocking - blending to come later) and going for vibrant / high contrast because I will be varnishing for table top use (which always mutes everything).

Finished the free-hand base coat with some two brush blending.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

That is Mashaaf from the Reaper Bones 2 kickstarter.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Any tips for glaze shading? I was attempting some tonight and it was either too much water and it wouldn't cover, or it was too much medium and it came out streaky.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

It's not fogging up, but I've done 4 applications and it hasn't cut the gloss shine at all. I shook it for a solid 5 minutes to be absolutely sure it was mixed, still no effect. Dullcote is getting harder to find locally, so I was hoping to find an alternative.

I use (brush on) a thin layer of Liquitex Matte Varnish and although it's no dullcote it gets things down to a low satin.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

It seems like March has been Mashaaf Madness. I'm just about finished with mine, and although its not up to pro standards its my personal best so far. I took lots of pictures:

Prep: green stuffing gaps, and temporary base made of instamorph:

Blocking base coat:

Two brush blending and washes on the back:

Poor attempt at highlights:

A pretty messy attempt at glaze shading, more washes on the back and smaller bits:

Stepped up my game and just glaze blended until it looked good, highlights on details, light drybrushing on the rocks:

Liquitex Gloss:

Liquitex Matte:

Testors Dullcote:

Feeling pretty good about this!

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

X-Post from reaper thread. Bones I Cthulu, still WIP:

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

What's the preferred water temperature for reshaping Reaper plastic minis?

My tap water isn't hot enough, and I've got an electric kettle but don't want to straight up melt them.

I've dunked them in simmering water for minutes at a time without melting them. Use a perforated ladle or siv as a dunker so you drain off the water and don't burn yourself.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Doing some planning for Reaper Bones "Goremaw". Any of these thumbnails stand out as particularly good/bad?

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How did you do the red? I may steal that for a Blood Bowl team.
These are just mocks done with multiply layers in GIMP. I've already primed white so to get that red I'd probably base with a hot red of some sort. The purple has the advantage of being the canonical Big Fantasy Worm, but I was worried that would be too cliche.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Paolomania posted:

Doing some planning for Reaper Bones "Goremaw". Any of these thumbnails stand out as particularly good/bad?

Finally had some time to work on this.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

How discreet is the shipping from Bad Dragon?

Looking great so far!

:wink:

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

For brush-on varnishers: anyone have experience with both Vallejo acrylic and poly matte varnish? After some comparison testing with the acrylic matte I'm going to switch over from Liquitex, but I was wondering whether the poly had similar properties with more durability.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Paolomania posted:

Finally had some time to work on this.

Slow progress continues. You can really tell the difference between the super glossy VGC paints on the body and the matte Reaper paints of the spikes.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Its not the cleanest or the most detailed, but its got to be ready for the table next week so I'm calling it done:

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Funzo posted:

Is Vallejo primer good for brushing on? It’s going to be getting too cold to spray outside soon and I need an alternative. Any particular one I should look for?

I am a fan of their white poly primer as a brush-on. It provides a nice painting surface and bonding but don't go for opaque coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Not quite up to thread standards on close inspection, but I'm proud of finishing some bones over the holiday break. First batch I've finished with a toddler in the house.