Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
X-Post

The Sisko posted:

:siren: Cawl in dah houuuuuussse!!! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
God drat that white rob looks bad rear end!

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Yeah, changing up the robe to white is really great. Nicely done.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Yeah, it makes the model a lot more readable, the official photos are a total mess.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

That's a smooth and sexy white.

---------------------------------------

:siren: Diary of madman post :siren:

So as couple of weeks ago I decided I'd paint up a few dudes to practice painting skin. Just 5 models for that game that I riddiculed.

These guys:

They came in the £20 starter box along with some Stormcast dudes (they're a few pages back somewhere) and 3 other Khorne Blood Warriors. The Blood Warriors looked a bit lonely in a group of 3, so I bulked them up with a Champion and a Standard Bearer to make them into a full unit.

The Champion

Standard Bearer

With their snap-fit buddies.

So that's two groups of Battleline (Troops) might as well throw in a Hero:

Walking through the local toyshop with my son looking at Lego, and I spot a small stand with some discounted GW stuff, "Oh hey 10 Blood Letters for £10, they'll bulk out the guys I'll never play with nicely"

So it's mid August and I've done a 500ish point Khorne Warband, 5 Stormcast Eternals, The entire Death Guard part of Dark Imperium, 2 Black Templar Bigmans, 2 Random Chapters for the Goon Chapter Challenge.

I think I've discovered why fidget spinners have become popular. They're for people like me who can't sit still. Now Serpahon/Lizardmen for my wife to never use or a fidget spinner hmm.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
First you need to base that Greyfax, slacker. :colbert:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Ilor posted:

First you need to base that Greyfax, slacker. :colbert:

She needs more paint first.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

I made a little test with regards to ultrasonic cleaning and paint removal. I have small 120W cleaner I bought for airbrush and 3D print cleaning, a Dema CD-4810. For this test it's filled with a specific detergent that came with the cleaner.

The fluid is preheated to about 50 degrees C.

The candidates are these horrors, painted in my youth, probably the mid 80ies:

After 20 minutes in the cleaner, and a light rubbing with at fingernail:

So the basic process works. I'm sure it could be optimized if you pre-soak the minis before the ultrasound or run it for more than 20 minutes.

Dr Hemulen fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 17, 2017

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Finished up my Axer this morning. Ready to paint something a bit more fun in trolls.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

TTerrible posted:

This is the kit I point people towards.

Thanks, I went for that in the end. A little more than what I was planning to spend but I'd rather not buy garbo and regret it.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Alokgen posted:

Finished up my Axer this morning. Ready to paint something a bit more fun in trolls.

Wow, that's gorgeous. Nice work!

e.: The Sisko, I've never understood that model until seeing your take on it. So clean! :allears:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Alokgen posted:

This is both cool and good.

Something is up with the lighting in my photo tent, and/or my camera settings, so here's some dumb pics of a Grissel Bloodsong resculpt I just finished.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009

Fyrbrand posted:

This is both cool and good.

Something is up with the lighting in my photo tent, and/or my camera settings, so here's some dumb pics of a Grissel Bloodsong resculpt I just finished.

How did you do the skin? It looks fantastic

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

gilljoy posted:

How did you do the skin? It looks fantastic

Thanks! For the blue trollblood skin, I start with Trollblood Base over white primer. I usually mix in some other lighter blue to that basecoat. My usual that I also used here is a little Frostbite. I wash with Asurmen Blue, then reapply the basecoat. From there, it's layering up progressively lighter colors. I usually start by adding some more Frostbite (or whatever other blue I've chosen), then later start mixing in MWH in the final layers.

(BTW I really like Trollblood Highlight, but ironically not at all for highlighting trollblood skin. It's an interesting shade, but doesn't work well with my technique and white primer, imo.)

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Quick paint job on a Skorne warbeast, the Archidon.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How thin should my paint be for painting? I hear consistency of milk for airbrushing and is that so for brushing as well?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Phi230 posted:

How thin should my paint be for painting? I hear consistency of milk for airbrushing and is that so for brushing as well?

You’d go that thin if you want to do glazing, or multi stage highlighting.

I know this sounds counter intuitive, but an ‘airbrush paint’ out of the bottle is about the consistency you want to bring your regular paints down to*

* there are so many outliers here tho. Metallics are a totally different beast, some ranges need to be even thinner, etc.

Basically there’s no real rule, start practicing and you’ll find what works.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Phi230 posted:

Start thinning and keep watching how the paint behaves. When it starts behaving like a wash (i.e. flowing into details by itself) you'll know to thin just a bit less than that.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Paolomania posted:

Doing some planning for Reaper Bones "Goremaw". Any of these thumbnails stand out as particularly good/bad?

Finally had some time to work on this.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Paolomania posted:

Finally had some time to work on this.

How discreet is the shipping from Bad Dragon?

Looking great so far!

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

mango sentinel posted:

How discreet is the shipping from Bad Dragon?

Looking great so far!

:wink:

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Phi230 posted:

For normal layering I thin it to the point that it's almost like water but can be dragged around a (plastic) palette without breaking up into individual droplets/beads, if it does then its just slightly too thin. I find it's too thick if it can't be almost completely reabsorbed onto a dry and empty brush by just touching the paint. For thinner highlights I keep it this consistency but add about 50% medium to the mix, to keep the fluidity but up the transparency a bit.

I find metals (at least GW's and VMC) tend to thin the same as regular paint, but will need constant stirring otherwise the flakes tend to separate, they will need more coasts usually too even over an appropriate flat colour.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Pierzak posted:

Start thinning and keep watching how the paint behaves. When it starts behaving like a wash (i.e. flowing into details by itself) you'll know to thin just a bit less than that.

"A little more... more... more... keep going... more... too much."

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Yeast posted:

You’d go that thin if you want to do glazing, or multi stage highlighting.

I know this sounds counter intuitive, but an ‘airbrush paint’ out of the bottle is about the consistency you want to bring your regular paints down to*

* there are so many outliers here tho. Metallics are a totally different beast, some ranges need to be even thinner, etc.

Basically there’s no real rule, start practicing and you’ll find what works.

I just paint with airbrush paints.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just paint with airbrush paints.

Yep, it's a great way to go for most people.

I switched to scale tho, so I'm thinning paints with the viscosity of recently cooled glass.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Colour palette sanity check.

My 2 criteria were dinosaurs and make it pink.

Before I finish painting this little pink bastard (finish detailing and highlights basically), are the feathers too colourful? Likewise is the red of the molten staircase too overpowering?

EDIT: Oops, forgot to ermm feather the yellow part of feathers at the back.

richyp fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 18, 2017

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I would blend the colors a little more, but I don't think they are too colorful.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Felime posted:

I would blend the colors a little more, but I don't think they are too colorful.

Yeah the feathers just have a couple layers on as I was trying different colours out, the back ones weren't blended at all.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Which is the better Liquitex product for thinning paints and getting better consistency with washes? Matte medium? Flow improver? Something else?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Geoff Zahn posted:

Which is the better Liquitex product for thinning paints and getting better consistency with washes? Matte medium? Flow improver? Something else?

I use Les' recipe for thinning paints for airbrush use - I think it would work just fine for brush work as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoKJUrISnTo

Also, Lahmian Medium is supposed to be really, really good.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lahmian Medium is crazy good, it's by far the most matte thing I've ever used, liquitex matte medium looks downright glossy next to it. It's just a drat shame it's so expensive comparative to other mediums.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I don't think normal liquitex mediums really make the paint thinner, just more transparent. Airbrush medium may be what you want.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

For what it's worth, other than for making glazes, flow improver is probably the best thing for thinning on all counts. It's a bit of a retarder, bit of a medium, and bit of a thinner rolled in to one.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ijyt posted:

For what it's worth, other than for making glazes, flow improver is probably the best thing for thinning on all counts. It's a bit of a retarder, bit of a medium, and bit of a thinner rolled in to one.
I just bought some based on the thread advice, if it's not even half as good I'll find you and make you drink the rest.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I started using flow improver instead of thinner based on Yeasts testimony and it has made my airbrushing a hundred times easier.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

TTerrible posted:

I started using flow improver instead of thinner based on Yeasts testimony and it has made my airbrushing a hundred times easier.

This should be the number one tip for anyone airbrushing. Made my life a hell of a lot easier as well

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
Have any of you that use the Nuln and Agrax gloss to recess shade tried using Lahmian Medium over it afterwards to matte it out? Seems like it'd be a good contender for that kind of work.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

richyp posted:

Colour palette sanity check.

My 2 criteria were dinosaurs and make it pink.

Before I finish painting this little pink bastard (finish detailing and highlights basically), are the feathers too colourful? Likewise is the red of the molten staircase too overpowering?

EDIT: Oops, forgot to ermm feather the yellow part of feathers at the back.

This looks great. The front arm and maybe the face would look good with some source-lighting from the lava. I don't think you've done too much with the colors at all.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

TTerrible posted:

How serviceable is Liquitex Flow-Aid for the same purpose - are we mostly talking about Vallejo Flow Improver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

parabolic posted:

How serviceable is Liquitex Flow-Aid for the same purpose - are we mostly talking about Vallejo Flow Improver?

I've only used the Vallejo, sorry :( The look like they should be equivalent tho?