Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I just had a birthday and my fiancee bought me the citadel paint + tools set and a box of reivers, so I got the opportunity to paint my first mini in a decade+

I'm rusty as all heck, but I'd forgotten how incredibly fun painting can be. The smell of the gw plastic glue really brings me back :3

Always wanted to paint crimson fists back in the day, and it seemed to be a good fit with the paints I have available. Dude on the left came together on friday while I was still trying to remember how paints worked, while the guy on the right was finished yesterday, and I think he's a vast improvement- though I see a lot of dumb sloppy mistakes in the picture that I missed during painting- definitely gonna have to go back and fix some stuff up, plus putting in the time to file off those mold lines on every subsequent model

Also dang, the detail on these primaris minis is pretty crazy compared to the old chunky space marine boys I was used to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

AndyElusive posted:

Finished a Hellblaster from the Iron Knights Chapter today for my Deathwatch.

He owns! I love the highlights and especially the plasma effects

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Picked up some warhams in october for the first time in a decade+, and painted three crimson fist reivers, the first I think I already posted. The dual wieldy boy was kind of dropped midway as I got caught up in other things.
I put a couple of finishing touches on it earlier this week, but I struggled a bit to pick up where I left off, so it ended up kind of meh

Just finished the dark angel, and I'm pretty happy with painting a face that didn't look like a total catastrophe, and it was fun to paint a mostly mono-color mini and have to rely on highlighting to make it pop- I saved the catastrophe for my incredibly embarrassing attempt at freehand on the shoulder pad, but I will own it and share my shame. My painting skills just aren't quite there yet, I think!
I was gonna do some freehand on that shoulder shield as well but uh, I think I'll just leave it bare until I get ahold of some dark angel transfers or something.

I'm using an improvised wet pallet, but I think I really need to water down my paints more, or wait longer before layering, because on the close ups I see that I've really caked it on in places. If anyone has any feedback to a novice, I'd appreciate it!

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 5, 2023

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Posigniat posted:

I just watched this video on paint thinning and it was really helpful!

https://youtu.be/sBDVPoNXyVI

Thanks, this video seems great, I'll check it out and try his process before painting my next duder

For my intercessors, I was thinking I'd paint them all in different chapter schemes since I used to only paint what basically amounted to ultramarine successors, and if I'm to have any hope of painting an imperial fist, I certainly won't get a good result without some proper thinning

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Crosspost from the 30k and Oath threads. I finished my Night Lords praetor in terminator armor. Now that I took the photo I noticed I have to go back and fix the light on his right leg.

He's gorgeous!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Continuing my project of working through the first founding chapters, so I can try a few different colours, and I'm about as finished as I'm gonna get with this little raven guard duder for now. I'm not very happy with the result, though the helmet was a lot of fun. Found a beakie lying in my ancient pile of bits and decided it was a good fit for a birdboy.

Painting black was surprisingly difficult, I started off with trying to highlight normally but it just contrasted so much with the black and looked like a total mess, so I ended up mostly carefully drybrushing to highlight the edges instead, maybe that was a mistake. I'll soon have another go when I get to iron hands, I guess. Did NOT try to freehand a bird again

e: next up, imperial fists and yellow :stonklol:

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 9, 2023

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Chromatics posted:

This looks pretty great for edge highlight on black honestly, especially if this is your first try on power armor.

Thanks! I painted maybe two dozen ultramarines and a squad of imperial guard back in like 2005, so every colour other than blue is pretty much my first on power armor

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Springfield Fatts posted:

Just finished part 1 of my Turnip28 project I've got going on, The Beetstie Boys

These little guys are great!

Also I am extremely definitely not painting an imperial fist army or perhaps yellow ever again:

At least these two can hang out together in the bookshelf now

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
My next marine will be a space wolf, followed by a blood angel, but I just can't stop thinking about painting raven guard- so much so that I ordered some greys and matte black paint from ScaleColor, on recommendation from a friend- I have an idea in my head on how I want them to look like, but I guess we'll see what happens when the paint arrives!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Sat down to start painting a space wolf yesterday, but after test painting a bit on an old backpack I decided I didn't have the colours I wanted for it, so instead I picked up a guy I hadn't even bothered removing mold lines on and decided to practice some highlighting and red armor

Was just gonna paint a couple of legs, but suddenly I'd spent most of the evening completely finishing the model. I was really surprised at how well the red turned out, and now I'm super excited to do my blood angel sergeant!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

I love those wings!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Geisladisk posted:

Rat Wizard!

I really like what you did with the crystal on the staff, it looks so clean and obviously crystall-y

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
WIP of my ultramarine duder. I guess he'll be the standard bearer of my mixed chapter squad! I'm super happy with him so far, I think he's probably the best model I've painted. Stayed up a little bit too late on a worknight to finish the dang armor. Upon closer inspection, I maybe ought to tone down the highlights on top of the helmet, and do something to make the shoulder pads pop more besides putting on decals, but I don't really like the 'eavy metal style of highlighting the inside of shoulder pads, so I dunno how I'll go about that. Maybe some super light drybrushing with alaitoc blue before applying decals?

Anyway, super excited to get started on the ancient banner I found in my bits box- I haven't painted cloth before, so it'll be an interesting challenge!

Hidden to his right is a shameful white scars marine that I just want to forget about. Only after I'd basecoated the entire mini in white scar did I realise I'd totally hosed up, partly due to having to use too many layers to get good coverage, but also because... how do you highlight something when your basecoat is your brightest colour :downs:? Thought maybe I could save it by just washing the recesses but there was just zero pop, I made a mess with the wash, and the more I worked on it the less satisfied I became, so I just slathered the mini in weathering and gave up. Painted the helmet in the wrong shade of red too. Total catastrophe! More likely to strip it than try to fix it.

AndyElusive posted:

I'm starting a new Deathwatch Kill-Team comprising of Astartes seconded from homebrew chapters that belong to some folks I'm fond of that I follow on Instagram.

:vince:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think the White Scar looks pretty great tbh, I like the muddy white. What I think it really needs is more depth in the red. I'd very carefully apply green or dark brown wash in the recesses and as lines between the sections on the helmet.

Thanks for the tip, I guess I'll try!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

AndyElusive posted:

Happy to have finished a Deathwatch Intercessor Sgt today:

That's so clean!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Finished an Iron hands guy who seems to very recently have smashed something squishy with his hammer

Tried some stuff with black and had some fun with blood spatter, though maybe it ended up being a bit understated on the armor

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
My wet pallet is a tray, some layers of wet paper towels and parchment paper for baking :kiddo:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Knocked out this Salamander in a sitting. Green is such a nice color to work with- I'll return to it and freehand some chapter and squad emblems once I have above 0% confidence in my freehanding skills

Just a space wolf and a blood angel to go!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Just chiming in to say that this is a very nice green you have developed here. I look forward to seeing some squad markings and/or flames when you get to it; the latter will really add some nice color contrast to what you have so far.

Hey thanks!

I guess I'm gonna get in some practice on paper before I put a brush to an actual model, it's so much harder to paint outside the lines haha

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Knocked out another marine for my loyalist squad project- this time a blood angel sergeant to lead the gang!
It was supposed to be the space wolves' turn, but when I sat down to paint him, I realised I kind of hated how I'd assembled the model and I'm gonna have to either take him apart or build a new one, so blood angel it was!

Didn't try out any new techniques for this one, just tried to take my time. Feel like I kind of rushed the helmet and that decal is in no way properly attached, but whatever, I'm happy with the results! Once I've finished the entire squad I'm gonna go over the lot and touch them up, so I'll fix that fukken half-attached skull eventually

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
It's so clean :cry:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Decorus posted:

My Genesis Chapter Primaris Chaplain is done.

Very nice, he looks great!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Decorus posted:

With these two Tech-Priests finished, my AdMech collection is once again 100% painted.

I really like the models. They're sufficiently weird while still looking like humans, unlike their bosses.

I like them a lot, they remind me that my flesh is weak

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Just absolutely did not feel up to painting a space wolf, so much so that I didn't touch a brush for months, but I finally did it, thanks to a cult of paint video on speedpainting space wolves coming up in my YT feed

I was rusty and pretty sloppy, but considering that I pulled this guy together in a third of the time that the rest of my marines took, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Got a new phone since I last took pictures, so I messed around a bit with both camera settings and lights, and grabbed a group shot and new pinups for everyone

Now that I've painted up all the loyalists, I should probably decide on an actual colour scheme for the rest of my marine models. Very tempted to do ravenguard for the tacticool looks, but painting green and blue is just more fun

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Did a test scheme for a raven guard this evening, and while I think it looks alright, I just don't think I have it in me to paint an entire army of predominantly black models

Also seeing so many sloppy lines on camera that I just don't see in person- probably due to staring at it for hours today

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Took a huge painting break while handling a loved ones cancer finally getting the upper-hand. Posted the begining of this a while ago. I wanted to go further but I'm so burnt out with non-hobby stuff I kind of just wanted to finish him.

That's exceptional. Just the way the tabard is lit up just makes me want to cry out of envy

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I'm a sucker and those AP paints look pretty dang good

If anyone sees any word from non-affilated painters or get any personal experience with the paints, please share

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Finished the celestian sacresant my fiancee was kind enough to let me paint!

First time trying flame and any kind of source lighting, both for the blue orbs and the candles. Turned out alright considering I didn't go on youtube for a guide, just improvised based on pictures from infinitely better painters!

Any critique or tips are welcome as always

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Nazzadan posted:

Relatively sure, I think it's just evaporating very quickly. Tonight I topped it off before starting this Raptor and multiple times I had to use a syringe to grab some water from a clean glass and keep refilling the edges until it was standing water again.

Speaking of, finished this Raptor and really happy with it for the time/quality ratio. Still not getting the lightning as good as I'd like, but we'll get there by the 10th member of the squad I'm sure.

Love these guys!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Z the IVth posted:

Also I finally finished this Warmaster after loving ages. Still needs a nameplate but I have yet to decide what I want to call it.

Holy poo poo

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

What's the best way to wash a black base coat? I've heard blue wash is the simplest.

I don't really think* putting wash on black would produce any noteworthy effects, regardless of wash colour. What effect are you trying to achieve?

*I barely know how to hold a brush

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Virtual Russian posted:

Hey check out this converted Vostroyan Officer I'm working on! He's going to be commanding my bombast artillery gun in my Vostroyan combat patrol. I've got some touch ups to do, photos always reveal them... but he's 95% done. No basing because he's going into the gun team. I'm thinking of painting the liner of his coat a beige or something far lighter to give a bit more contrast, he's very brown.

Really love what you did with the colours on the jacket!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I'm not being hyperbolic when I say those are the worst miniatures I've ever seen. They look like they've been cast with candlewax and then lit

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
They must be incredibly cheap to produce, for the low level of detail to be worth it. The manufacturer seems to mostly deal in cheap card protectors, dice and terrain, and keeps a low profile online, so who knows how these atrocities came to be.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
I found an old, unpainted eldar ranger and decided to spend an evening finally giving him some paint after two decades in a box

Wish I'd gone with a sand colour on the robe instead of green, though

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Just noticed that even the skull is Tau, brilliant work!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Very clean, very nice!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Finally put some paint onto my first proper raven guard, starting with a sergeant, but I'm a little stumped when it comes to the feathers

I want it to be dark raven/crow like feathers, but have no idea how I'm gonna make it look good- maybe I want some green shade instead of the purple I've started with, no idea

I'm excited about painting those kitbashed lightning claws, though!

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Z the IVth posted:

Needs some pennies.

do people generally paint their pennies with metallics, or is NMM the name of the game

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Thank you for looking out for our backs and toxicity levels :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Count Thrashula posted:

I have actual opinions on which paints taste better or worse than others (after rinsing a brush, I'm not a monster).

But I'm also an idiot

Can't just drop that into a post and not share your favorite and least favorite paint

Also I think my raven guard sergeant is finished!
Messed up the plasma effect, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with him!
Learned a lot of stuff I can bring with me for the rest of the squad, and the jetpack captain; like don't bother trying to do OSL inside the engines, no-one is ever gonna look at them from the bottom up

e: oh, after assembly, there's some huge gaps on top of all the jetpacks- do people just fix this with a tiny amount of greenstuff? If I try to do it with plastic cement, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna ruin the entire thing

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 18, 2023