Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Getting caught in the open sea in a low-tier BB against a good minekaze skipper is terrifying. WHERE ARE ALL THESE TORPEDOS COMING FROM :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

KoldPT posted:

Is there going to be a wipe after open beta, or was this one the last?

No more wipes, you keep everything after this point.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

yaay posted:

I think trying to face them down with your prow and keep them inside the range of your secondary guns is the best method of dealing with them. Imo a minekaze has a much much stricter margin of error than you do in your carolina or kawachi. Of course after like a day of playing I don't know how good of a minekaze I've seen yet

Upgraded minekaze has a 4km buffer zone between detection range and maximum torpedo range. Against a lone battleship that doesn't have a scout plane it's basically invisible death.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Stanley Pain posted:

I don't understand how some of you are having hard times with your BBs. Yes they are slow, but the payoff is huge when you one shot broadside someone for >58k damage. Each ship has it's own unique firing pattern, learn how to play into it and you'll do good. Don't auto dump your entire load either. Fire off one gun to see what your lead time should be, and then bukkake them ;)

Yes, you can get a massive broadside if the RNG determines that:

a. more than a handful of your shells even hit the target in the first place
b. the shells that do hit just so happen to hit where you want them to
c. the game decides that yes, that hit directly underneath the smokestacks or turret is actually a penetrating citadel hit

Or you can fire a full broadside at another battleship 5km away, have most of your shells splash into the water in front of and behind your target and get one hit for 1000 damage. Ironically I find that getting citadel hits at extreme range is much more likely simply because your shells often end up dropping straight down onto deck armor. My highest damage games tend to be ones where most of my shooting is done at or near maximum range. I have never had any luck landing citadel hits on another battleship in a close range brawl, it's more like a slow death by degrees as you inflict multiple 1000-4000 damage hits per volley.

I love battleships but whether or not you have a good round in one is far too dependent on RNG right now, especially in the lower tiers. What you call a firing pattern is actually more like randomly distributing shells in a circle of X diameter because that's pretty much how dispersion works at the moment. It's the same poo poo that makes World of Tanks extremely frustrating to play at times. Meanwhile cruisers are able to consistently apply DPS, fires and crippling module damage with high RPM guns shooting HE in the current meta.

It definitely gets better once you get into the New York/Kongo and beyond but the underlying game mechanic is still lovely and makes it a real chore to actually get to those ships in the first place.

ranbo das posted:

It also helps the higher tier you are and the more guns you have. I'm in the New York and loving it, but it's been a struggle up to that point. Also I swear whatever the Tier 4 IJN BB is is actually worse than the T3 when it comes to accuracy.

I can't log in to check at the moment but I'm pretty sure the Myogi has the worst dispersion radius of any T3/T4 battleship while at the same time having the least number of guns.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 7, 2015

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

PirateBob posted:

Lol, got it.

It's easier to grab a chance to land AP hits against soft ships on these quick firing USN cruisers. :)

Is there any point in firing 152mm AP at BBs though, ever?

Also, why am I rewarded a single flag for some achievements instead of 10? Is that what happens when you've already got some flags of that type? :confused:

I think you can only get the 10 flags once every 24 hours.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Ihmemies posted:

I accidentally bound something else to CTRL+X. I reset it but the original hotkey combo doesn't work anymore. Where could I find the config files or somethign to fix this? I don't want to reinstall the whole game for just 1 hotkey which is for not some reason available in the settings menu...

E: if you have ever wondered why it's so hard to pen/citadel a st. louis.. it has got over 100mm of straight armor first, then a like 45deg angled 70mm armor belt behind it protecting the whole ship.

Go into the root directory for the game and delete preferences.xml. The launcher will download a new one which will completely reset all of your settings including keybinds.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Carriers aren't even close to the level of bullshit that is artillery in World of Tanks.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Minenfeld! posted:

I could've sworn reading about poor Japanese accuracy once fire control radar became a thing. One of the more famous instances has to be the Battle off Samar. I could be wrong though and I'd be glad to read more.

Try the battle of Surigao Strait. Radar-guided FCS allowed West Virginia to land first-salvo hits on Yamashiro at ranges of 20,000m in pitch darkness, a feat that would be almost completely impossible with pre-radar FCS methods. The Japanese were widely regarded as masters of night fighting (as they had already demonstrated off Savo Island in 1942) but even the most skilled Japanese gunnery teams couldn't compete with that.

Obviously the hit rate increases substantially as the range closes but when you're talking about battleships taking shots at each other at ranges of 15-25,000 meters, hit rates would be in the low single digits.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 1, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Krogort posted:

Doesn't feel that way. A good arty player can carry a game the way a good carrier player can. If one carrier suck and the other team has a good one he will wreck half a team by himself.

A lot of ships can carry a game but the WoWS equivalent to the "fairness" of WoT artillery would be a carrier with invisible planes.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
T4 and under is a strange, strange place where the AA is almost completely nonexistent, every cruiser has a gazillion single barrel guns and a St. Louis is a better battleship than most battleships.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Torpedoes straight up give you an autoaim based on the target's current heading and speed. Line up the green arc with the white arc.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

xthetenth posted:

You know how to target enemy ships? When you do that and have torpedoes active, you get a ghostly white torpedo indicator. If you put your green torpedo indicator over that white one and the target doesn't turn, the target will sink. Spooooky!

It's not even October yet c'mon.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I almost forgot how frustrating it is to play a battleship in this game, at least at T5 and under. Doesn't matter how good your ranging is, shells just get shotgunned all over the ocean even in something with reasonably accurate guns like the Arkansas Beta.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

I thought the North Carolina was supposed to be a preferred sniper? The shell speed on this thing is so slow a stationary Warspite had time to reverse out of the path of a salvo.

e: Followed it up by pointing 6 barrels at an Atago 3km away and scoring 2k damage, gently caress that, I'm going to play something else

Yeah this is why I stopped playing battleships. RNG on cruisers is nowhere near as punishing and I consistently have better games with them.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Do people really hate on the Furutaka in this game? I'm citadeling cruisers 2 tiers higher than me on a regular basis with this thing.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
The Cleveland is waaay less fun than I remember it being in beta. Shell velocity is horrible, it's fat, it's slow, range is garbage and it's just a citadel magnet for every battleship in range. Is this pretty much the standard for American cruisers going forward? I feel like I'm gonna be better off focusing on German and Russian to get the playstyle I'm looking for.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

I could play this game for a thousand more hours and never see another round like this. Came down to me vs 2 virtually untouched Wyomings and I killed them both.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
The weak armor is the only thing keeping those guns in check.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I have no issue with pubbies wasting their points on bad skills.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Poil posted:

Not even when they are on you team? Cruising in alone thinking they are indestructible with the extra hit points.

They do that anyway, extra hit points or not. Then they bitch about OP destroyers. Fixing a skill isn't going to magically make bad players any less bad.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Ice Fist posted:

To elaborate for the zero people who care. I mostly hated it when it came out because it was only ever T10 tanks. I ended up getting my IS-7 and then promptly getting burned out.

I thought it could have been a lot more fun and accessible if clan wars had a seasonal approach where the first month was like T1-3, the next month up to T6, then next to T8, and so on. Not being plugged in I have no idea what it's like now so for all I know they did this and I've been missing out.

Like, I'm imagining WoWS clan wars launching and the only thing you're allowed to take if you want to be relevant at all is a Yamato, Khabarovsk, Gearing, and whatever the best cruiser is or whatever. It's like 'welp I went down the wrong line so now I can't participate in clan wars.'

Serious question for people more knowledgeable about ships I haven't played: What would be the premier lineup for a 10v10 match?

At least you went for the IS-7. I drove a Maus for SGLE a fair bit. The gold payout was nice though.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

And that's what happens when your entire team completely ignores a Kirov for the whole match. My only regret is that I did not have a 50% EXP flag active.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Cobbsprite posted:

I don't have a Hipper, and my highest German CA is the Konig.

I assume you mean Konigsberg, since the Konig is a battleship.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

ZombieLenin posted:

Why are both the German tier X cruiser and the German tier X battleship H class battleships?

And did wargaming give the Friedrich Der Grosse the 20 inch guns Hitler approved?

The Hindenburg isn't an H-class. Roon and Hindenburg in-game don't have real-world equivalents, they're basically frankenstein ships.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

The little Nurnberg that could.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
The Konigsberg is pretty solid at T5, the Nurnberg not so much at T6. The guns are just completely inadequate against anything T6 or higher. I think most of my damage in the Nurnberg came from fires or torpedoes.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 17, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I'm not really sure how I feel about these RN CLs. Stealth firing is already an incredibly frustrating mechanic in this game and it seems like they're going a little overboard in giving so many advantages to them.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Asproigerosis posted:

I have a lot of free time at my job. Like most places run by people completed disconnected from reality, there is a no personal electronic devices policy. My bosses don't care because it is TYOOL 2016, but I don't have friends so loving around on the phone isn't even useful for me. I decided that spending my free time making models would be amusing so I bought this.

Looking forward to showing off the drenched in godzilla snot glue and whore makeup paint job that results.

How much do these things cost?

Vatek fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 20, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
The 1/350 ones are really expensive from the looks of it, especially the larger hulls. A Mogami is ~220 USD.

Too bad they don't have a Nelson.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 20, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
I run that flag on all my cruisers cause BURN YOU SONS OF BITCHES BURN.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

JuffoWup posted:

even your rn cruisers?!

I don't hate myself nearly enough to play RN cruisers. I can't drive a cruiser without HE anyway.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Yeah the event is pretty much impossible with pubs but at least you still get credits and camo for losing. There's just no way to brute force that last wave.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

Keksen posted:

As someone (sort of) new and (definitely) terrible at the game, why is turning off your AA good? Visibility I presume?

Yeah, if your AA fires at a plane it makes you easier to detect. Destroyer AA is pitiful in general anyway so any intelligent DD player will have it turned off.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Got my first supercontainer, 5m credits. 20 would have been nicer but I can't really complain.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
19% chance of fire across 12 guns gives you a ~92.02% chance that at least one shell will cause a fire.
22% chance of fire across 12 guns gives you a ~94.92% chance that at least one shell will cause a fire.

Keep in mind that this is basically simulating all 12 shells hitting the same fire zone of a ship and is just using the raw fire chance across x number of guns. The actual formula Wargaming uses is a bit more complex and changes based on the tier of ship you're hitting. It's harder to set higher tier ships on fire due to that.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 11, 2016

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

:neckbeard:

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
The Izumo is just a Nelson substitute until we get the real one.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

MikeC posted:

Seems like the sweet spot for German ships so far is T6. I kind of lost interest in the Yorck after about 30 games given how it seemed barely more survivable than he Kberg/Nberg line but had horrible shell arcs. Switch over to the BB line and I am crushing it with the Bayern unless I got uptiered to fight Bismarcks or NCs. Love how you can just bow and wade into it in almost any situation and not get killed.

Approaching the 80k XP for the Gneiseneau. Does the same playstyle carry over? The ship description says it has bad horizontal armor and it does seem like the belt armor is a bit thin. Also the 6 gun thing has me kinda worried. Also I am training up a secondary spec captain for the Bismarck whenever I get there, are the Gneiseneau's secondaries good enough to mount the secondary upgrade module?

The Yorck is a weird boat because it honestly has more in common with Japanese cruisers than pretty much any of the other German ones. I found it to be a very tough ship as long as you don't show broadside but you basically want to use HE 90% of the time unless you close to within <8km of a broadsiding cruiser.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD

RandomPauI posted:

About how many battles do you figure a player will need to get in for a beta testing reward ship? Will they still do that?

The game has been out of beta for years so I'm not sure what you mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

~SMcD
Yeah, I'm never ever going to get one of those unless I somehow pull another half dozen 100k free exp supercontainers out of my rear end.