Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TheFluff posted:

Is there anyone who still wants keys? I have an opportunity to ask Wargaming for more. Can't promise anything though.

I would certainly like one (EU)! Up until now I've always managed to miss all signups and giveaways by like half an hour. :negative:

Edit: Got it, cheers!

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

Welp, seems TheFluff got some sweet CB codes for us. Really appreciate this man, a thousand thanks :toot:

Got one, too. This just in: TheFluff is awesome and smells nice!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've got a sickness and the only cure is more torpedoes. Nothing better than managing to land six tubes' worth of eels in a tight pattern right dead centre in some cheeky BB :allears:

Though on the flipside, I'm pretty useless with cannons. From what I've gathered the idea (with cruisers and above at least) with AP is to aim for the centre near the waterline for citadel hits, but I've managed to make that work maybe twice total even though the shells seem to land in the right spot. Meanwhile some St. Louis just loads HE and pretty much crits my everything in a single salvo. Do you maybe need bigger cannons (I'm only at Tier 3-4 at the moment) with greater penetrative power for AP to work reliably?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This whole mechanic of "ships are literally invisible when the game decides you shouldn't be able to see them" is terrible and probably the worst thing they could have taken over from WoT. I've had destroyers suddenly phase out of existence like 4 km in front of me in open waters without smoke. They should just disable the HUD-markers when out of direct LOS or inside smoke but still display the actual model.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Insert name here posted:

I got the sniper mission for today (4 torp hits in 1 game) so I took my destroyers out for the first time in about a week. So far my games have consisted of me taking a hit, losing my engine, using my repair teams, only to take a second hit that kills me from about 10k health in like 3 or 4 games in a row now. :whitewater:

The trick to torpedoing with destroyers right now appears to be abusing the gently caress out of the detection range. If you look at them in the port they'll have a number each for surface and air detection range. Basically what this means (according to what I've read, at least) is that as long as no enemy ship/plane is within that respective distance, you're literally invisible to the enemy team. With that in mind, you can basically either take a japanese destroyer and fart dozens of torps at chokepoints full of enemies from safely beyond their detection range, or sneak past the bulk of the enemy team to their carriers and :bustem: from short range.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 28, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zotix posted:

Thanks so much for the key. I wish I saw it before work. Gotta get a few games in after work then.

Anything I should focus on or skip? I saw a post on reddit saying jp cruisers are inferior to us, any truth to that?

I wouldn't say they're outright inferior, but they do have a different focus. Almost all japanese cruisers have a healthy complement of torpedoes, but in return they have less powerful main guns and AA weaponry than their US counterparts. So basically the US cruisers are more rounded, but the japanese ones have some extra bite against battleships and inattentive cruisers.

VVVVV Edit: Oh, that's actually what I meant. Reworded it to actually make sense :downs: VVVVV

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 1, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

Another thing for me is that going up a tier doesn't feel like I've actually improved a ship all that much, outside of the US cruiser line and some of the battleships. The destroyer lines in particular just look dull from tier 5 on. In tier 6 and above games, it feels like the match is decided by who has the most battleships, and the cruisers and destroyers don't feel as useful. Don't get me wrong, they can be useful if things go right, but battleships are just better. Carriers are just really boring to play against and to play.

Yeah, I agree with that. I think it has something to do with the main guns of many ships not feeling particularly powerful or unique. Shells fly a bit further, numbers get a bit bigger, but that's really kind of it. You pump one broadside after another into your opponent, but unless you get a lucky citadel hit, it rarely feels like you have much impact. It's also why I enjoy destroyers so much more than the other ship types, because landing a good salvo of torpedoes has much more impact and feels way more satisfying than pounding away with the guns.
It's probably a bit of a tired comparison by now, but in War Thunder tanks, every single shot is a pretty big deal and has the capability of severely crippling or outright destroying your opponent, so upgrading to something with a bigger gun felt that much more significant even if it's just a few more milimetres of penetration or a slightly bigger explosive filler. Personally I think it'd help if they made the guns more accurate in terms of spread but more difficult to aim (i.e. less/no autoaim for range/elevation), and made criticals more common but with a shorter duration. That would make the player feel more in control of their actions and less at the mercy of the shell dispersion RNG. Landing a full broadside should be something nice and rewarding and not just a few centimetres of the enemy's HP bar.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

General Battuta posted:

I'm told the Alpha NDA has been lifted and that this is what the game looked like.

:shrug:

Welp, kill all alpha testers.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, I haven't really played this since closed beta, and now I'm wondering what trees to go down in either nation. If I remember correctly, japanese destroyers and cruisers generally have more/better torpedoes, whereas the american counterparts tend to have better guns and AA, does that still hold true? Are there any similar broad-strokes trends for the battleships and carriers of each nation?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is it just me or have they lowered the arming distance of airplane torpedoes since closed beta? I've had them dropped at what seemed like less than a kilometer distance next to me and they still went off just fine.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

srb posted:

A Midway dropped a gigantic spread literally one ship width away from me, in the Warspite (aka really good at turning) as I was attempting to turn away from the planes.

Yeah, right now if a reasonably competent carrier wants to gently caress you up, there's pretty much nothing you can do except hope there's an attentive AA-cruiser or fighter squadron right next to you. Even in a more nimble cruiser you need to be constantly maneuvering the moment a torpedo bomber squadron comes near. It's especially annoying in T4 because there's so little effective AA around by that point.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oh man, I had a great but also frustrating match in the Wyoming. I managed to bloop three cruisers and a battleship with a citadel hit each, at which point our team was reduced to just a carrier and me at 1/3rd health, up against 2 BBs on their side. One of them, a Myogi that was still at almost full health, was coming right at me but had to pass between two islands to get into view. So I did the only proper thing, full steam ahead right towards where he'd pop out and rammed the fucker, taking both of us down :black101:

So at that point, it was down to our carrier against their BB, which was at about 10% health. Even better, they were more or less at opposite ends of the map and our carrier already had a fully loaded torpedo bomber squadron right next to the BB. Score, he'd just need to launch a tight spread and hit with only one single torp to win us the match. So I just sat back and watched... as our carrier flew them in circles within the BB's AA-range, seeing them slowly whittled down one by one. Only once they were down to two planes did he actually launch an attack with them, but from so far away with a wide spread that the BB could just drive right through a gap between them. Then the round timed out before he could launch another wing.

That could have been my 1.5x win :negative:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Okay, I have to say I wasn't sold on that wide flat ocean map, but as a destroyer it's a goddamn amazing playground. The whole round I could just drive around completely unmolested while farting torpedoes every which way. I think I've only been detected two times, and was never fired upon. It felt completely unfair, but also hilarious.

3 of those 4 kills were BBs with 50+% hp left :laugh:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Carriers.gifv: http://gfycat.com/GoodnaturedFrailIndusriverdolphin

:suicide:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DurosKlav posted:

So apparently I pissed off a pubbie, not that its that hard.

I thought he was bitching me out for my previous game which I reset the enemy cap on our base when it was at 80% but he was bitching me out for the one before that. I was going up the middle on Two Brothers and all they had left was a carrier and we had them 3 capped with about 900 points. Apparently he wanted me to completely stop and go nowhere near A because then he couldnt get his super sweet xp from spending the rest of the match hunting for their carrier he was never going to find before we ticked to 1000 points. Pubbies never change, they always would rather spend 10 minutes hunting a guy than winning ASAP and getting into another game where they can earn more xp.

Yeah, pubbies get weird about capping. A few matches ago I had the same thing happen to me in the gamemode with only one central cap point. I wasn't even actively trying to cap because there were still plenty of enemies in range, I was just crossing the zone to get from one point to another. Still, not one but two guys on my team got stupidly mad at me, one even telling the rest of our team to shoot me. And of course the game was far from in the bag at that point, I think in the end it came down to two ships on each side being left and us only winning quite narrowly in the end.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Burno posted:

Not gonna lie, the best matches i have had in CBT and OBT were where there was like 6-7 battleships on each team and 5-6 cruisers. No CV no DD.

Yeah, CVs seem to fall into the same trap as snipers do in most shooters. They may be fun to play as, but on the receiving end it's just annoying, and there's little you can actively do against them unless you're one yourself. They also don't fulfill a particularly necessary role in the grand scheme of things that isn't already covered by destroyers. By comparison I don't really mind DDs, they at least need to take a significant risk when they go in for an attack.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

PirateBob posted:

Is the Furutaka getting buffed any time soon? Playing it is a cruel joke.

The gun upgrade that decreases its reload time to 16 seconds makes it a bit more bearable, but yeah it's all around pretty drat rough. The guns have decent penetration, at least, so you can usually roll with AP against other cruisers from longer ranges than usual.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So wait, have Wargaming said what order the other nations are being released?

Because it'll be a crime against boats if we get a goofy German or Russian full line before I can putter around in the HMS Dreadnought :britain:

It's a marketing decision. Russia's a given because most of their playerbase is russian and they love piloting russian stuff, Germany's likely because the next largest/most vocal group is Kriegsmarinaboos.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Devorum posted:

I've unlocked the Chester and Chikuma...is it recommended to focus on one tree or one type of ship? I also unlocked the Sampson, but I'm utterly useless in it.

So far I like the cruisers....i think i like the Chester a bit more than the Chikuma, but I don't have the Chikuma fully upgraded yet. I've heard a lot of people saying the IJN cruisers are superior to the US cruisers.

I'm also a bit leery about Battleships after reading the last few pages of this thread...are they really that bad?

Nah, it's perfectly doable to go with several ship types at once, and it's probably a good idea to make sure things don't get tedious.

As a general rule of thumb, japanese cruisers tend to have better and longer ranged torpedoes, and their main armament tends to be a relatively small number of somewhat bigger guns. American cruisers on the other hand tend to have a shitload of somewhat smaller guns that can pummel targets into oblivion in a hurry. They're both perfectly viable and fun to play as. The St. Louis, Omaha, and Kuma are all very fun and can be unlocked rather quickly.

Battleships can be fun, but take a while to get good. The american tree gets a pretty good one early in the Wyoming and New York. In the japanese tree you have to suffer through the rather bad Kawachi and Myogi first, but the Kongo is pretty drat great once you get there.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 26, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Would removing the fire mechanic help? It seems like HE does enough damage anyway because a 152mm shell can cause spalling damage to a 350mm belt. I think it might be the fire on top of HE's ability to seemingly damage everything that pushes it over the top. Maybe make it incredibly rare or have it be caused only by specific parts of the ship being hit, with precise hitboxes. Make the cruisers earn their fire damage.

The critical system as a whole is in a pretty weird spot right now. They're both incredibly common as well as usually rather long lasting. I've lost count of the times in a destroyer where I'd get my engines destroyed, popped the repair, and have them immediately destroyed again in the very next salvo. I think it'd be better if they either had drastically reduced durations (20-30 seconds) so they're not completely debilitating at the current frequency, or if they instead made them much rarer and made the repair-tool a limited-use consumable (in which case the engine-damage crit should probably still allow for slow movement).

Well, anyways, have some pubbies.txt. This was right after I killed an enemy New York with some short-range citadel hits while he kept bombarding me with HE the whole time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Krogort posted:

He damaged you pretty bad though, I suppose those fire ate most of your HP bar.

That wasn't just his doing. Before that I'd been eating shells from another Wyoming and some cruisers for a while. When we started going at it directly he was at about ~70% while I was at ~50%, with me basically dealing twice as much damage in the same time frame due to AP.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

The idea of introducing submarines into a game where the only ships for them to hunt are warships is just plain dumb. That's not what submarines were for. You may as well wish that they would put armed trawlers in. Yeah you get to gimmick about, but even a destroyer will kill you without noticing because you're poo poo in that environment.

War Thunder usually has a whole bunch of AI-controlled units on the map that people can destroy to get victory points. In that context I could see subs having a similar role to bombers and ground attackers, trying to sneak by the main enemy force to get at a bunch of transports for sweet points.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dalael posted:

Remember that while his planes are circling, he's not getting anything done either. And his planes have to travel back after he does commit.

The problem is that usually there are other ships also shooting at you while you're busy doing donuts, so basically you're taking damage without being able to effectively fight back while the carrier itself is safe and sound, making him effectively the winner in such a stalemate. Not to mention that anybody else close by will also have to start evasive maneuvers or get nuked immediately, so that may well be several ships being rendered ineffective.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

yaay posted:

furutaka :cripes:

I feel your pain. I only just managed to get out of that rustbucket, spending all of my free XP in the process. It still was a painful grind.

I've had half the number of matches with the Omaha and Minekaze, but still almost as many total kills and about as much total damage caused :suicide:

Edit: Oh god, the Aoba is so good :feelsgood:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 28, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Phrosphor posted:

Has anyone got any basic tips for destroyers? I am playing through the Japanese cruiser and destroyer trees, and whist I have fun games in the cruisers, i just got wrecked in the destroyer as soon as I get revealed on the map, I can never close in enough to get a good torpedo run away. Am i supposed to be hiding in the lee of an island till the end of the game or something? I am currently trying to circle the map as far out as possible to sneak around and take out aircraft carriers and battleships while they concentrate on other things, but one or two volleys usually kills me when they see me.

Basically the best route is "don't get spotted". Destroyers have a set distance at which they'll become visible (generally 5.9 km for most japanese destroyers, it's listed in the ship's stats), and with a bit of practice it's fairly doable to stay unseen all the time unless an enemy plane or destroyer surprises you. Japanese destroyers have the advantage that they generally have torpedoes with a longer maximum range than that spotting distance, and it's a perfectly valid tactic to just sit in that buffer zone between the two and keep endlessly farting out torpedoes from relative safety. With a bit of luck, you can go entire rounds without ever once being spotted, though of course there are times when taking a risk to get in close to guarantee hits is a good idea. Smoke is a livesaver for when you get spotted, but it can also be useful to buy some time when you make a break towards an isolated carrier or a battleship to get in a short-range salvo. If you do take fire, save your repair tool until you're either out of range or if your engine/rudder gets destroyed. Nothing is more annoying (and lethal) than using it on a fire only to get your engine wrecked immediately afterwards, leaving you dead in the water for ~100 seconds.

Hitting things at that distance is a bit of a gamble, but people often tend to be distracted enough that you can get at least one hit in. Even if you don't hit anything, you'll make them try to dodge and in the process keep them from accurately shooting back at your teammates. Prioritise slow/heavy ships that move perpendicularly to you, avoid targets that are currently turning. Another great target is ships that are just about to emerge from behind an island, they'll have minimal warning and you don't have to expose yourself to make the shot. When there's no immediate target in sight, don't be afraid to just dump a salvo at a likely choke point. Personally I tend to stick with the tight spread and fire two torps each directly behind, on top, and ahead of the lead indicator. That usually results in at least one hit, and if the target doesn't evade in time they're clustered together closely enough for 4+ hits. Outside of very short ranges, the wide spread usually leaves gaps big enough for even a battleship to comfortable fit between.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 29, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Holy crap, it actually happened. I had a Good Game™ in the Kawachi. For some reason the enemy just obliged and came in nice and close. At the end it was down to me at touching distance against a BB and two cruisers, with me using the broadside turrets on both sides to keep shooting left and right simultaneously. I actually managed to take two of them down with me, with the enemy BB dying at exactly the same moment as I did. :black101:

Edit: Bonus shot from the next match: http://www.gfycat.com/IdolizedEdibleBelugawhale . I must have dodged about a dozen salvos from those two carriers over the course of the game. Of course, the moment I started giving them poo poo about it they finally managed to drop them close enough that I couldn't dodge them and promptly killed me :downs:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 29, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So picture this: I'm in my Myogi, still fairly early in the round. Two enemy Omahas pick me up as their target and start hounding me back to my allies. One got killed fairly soon, but the other actually made it all the way into torpedo range. I manage to avoid the worst of his first salvo, but he turns to line up the other side and is now even closer than before. I throw the ship into a hard turn and head right at him, hoping to maybe mess up or delay his targeting while I put in the last few shells necessary to kill him.

And then... http://gfycat.com/HastyFineGoldfinch

:suicide:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Everybody owes it to themselves to give the japanese destroyers a try. They're seriously Good poo poo™

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fizzil posted:

Alot of dudes in Japanese DD's seem to be firing their torpedoes from maximum range, i really question this style when they have ample opportunity to close in (on carriers for example) and guarantee their hits if they fire from 3km or less.

Getting that close uncovers you, meaning that you'll start drawing fire. It can be a decent trade-off if the target's isolated, but at other times it'll just get you killed before you can actually achieve much of anything. More often than not you can do more total damage by shooting 20 salvos from hiding at long-ish range than shooting 2 salvos that are guaranteed to hit but dying right afterwards. Besides, with how quick they reload, you can often just let off one salvo at long range and have a new one ready by the time you've closed in.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Razzled posted:

I just had the displeasure of playing Ocean in my Atlanta. :wtf:

Why is this map a thing.

The map is a thing of beauty for japanese destroyers. For everything else, it's pretty loving bad.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

nessin posted:

The New York comes with an extra 50mm on the guns, and looks like it will shred anything that gets close enough to hit the secondaries, whereas the Wyoming's secondaries barely match up with a single destroyer while also having better AA from the start. I haven't even looked at the New Mexico yet.

Sometimes those extra 50mm almost feel more like a downside. With the Wyoming, when you're shooting AP at most cruisers you generally score some decent damage through simple penetrating hits even when they're not citadels. But with the New York against cruisers it seems like it's either citadels or just overpenetrations all day every day.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

How to get rid of overly adventurous CVs in one simple step: http://gfycat.com/TheseRightBrahmanbull

:feelsgood:

Edit: Jesus christ it's Tirpitztown :stare::

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 31, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So did I just have a string of bad luck, or are the New Mexico's turrets insanely vulnerable? So far in every match I played with it I've had at least one of them destroyed permanently, and temporary knockouts also seem to be very common.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just have AI-controlled submarines spawn in and launch torps at carriers whenever they're getting more than a few kilometers away from the rest of their team. :getin:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Raged posted:

What's the deal with the Furutaka? It seems like a poor upgrade for the Japanese cruiser line. it fires so slllloooooowwwww.

Also if I buy mods for a tier 5 cruiser will I be able to use the same mods on a higher tier cruiser without having to pay for them again?

The Furutaka is indeed complete and utter suffering. The patch apparently made it better, but it still seems to be sub-par at best. Like the Myogi, it is something to suffer through until you get the excellent ship that comes after it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, the Mutsuki is a right pile of floating poop when you first unlock it. It's like an american destroyer without any of the things that makes american destroyers actually good.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DurosKlav posted:

They're a bit better about it but still not great. Having a fewer amount of actual guns helps I think, at least in the case of US BB, as well as knowing how to aim a bit better by that point.

Another thing that helps is that higher-tier battleships tend to have vastly higher ranges, while overall retaining about the same "dispersion at maximum range" stat. So if you shoot at 10km or less (like you should always strive to do) while having ~20km max range, you'll find your shots clustering much more closely together than if you would try it with a ship that has only ~10 km max range.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So I finally got around to making my way through the russian tree, and I wonder: Is there any point to buying the Bogatyr's gun "upgrade" to 130mm guns? From what I can tell it's the same number of guns, with the same rate of fire, the same range, the same traversal time, but less damage. And still the game insists it's supposedly better.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well, the russian destroyers with their relatively short-ranged torpedoes sure are a change of pace from the japanese ones. But when it does work out, it's basically the raddest poo poo:

https://giant.gfycat.com/UnequaledExaltedGoat.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Torpedo is love, torpedo is life.

Seriously, every now and then I take a BB out for a spin, but they're just so goddamn boring by comparison. DD's for life. :black101: