Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I just started playing this today, haven't really touched Wargaming games in ages; used to be really into WoT.

This game strikes me as a slower, more methodical WoT. And I'm fine with that. Been giving the IJN Destroyers a try. Finally had a game where I topped the board.

Man, when things work out destroyers are fun as poo poo. Anyone got any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PerrineClostermann posted:

So I just started playing this today, haven't really touched Wargaming games in ages; used to be really into WoT.

This game strikes me as a slower, more methodical WoT. And I'm fine with that. Been giving the IJN Destroyers a try. Finally had a game where I topped the board.

Man, when things work out destroyers are fun as poo poo. Anyone got any advice?

Quoting this, since it seems to have gotten missed.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I mean, you seem to be doing pretty well.

It gets harder (impossible) to kamikaze torpedo run enemy ships as you get higher in tiers. If you're not doing that, then the basic principles are the same.

Press P to disable your AA guns so you can be stealthier. Turn them back on if getting spotted doesn't matter. That's all I have.

Well, I mean, my winrate is 43%. I don't often find great situations in which to make use of my DD abilities. Run up, spot the enemy, hang back, fire torpedoes at ranges way too far to have any real luck of hitting, die.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't want to leave NDP...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just unlocked the New York. What am I in for?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

Did you like the Wyoming, but think 'You know, this could be more Wyoming than it already is'?

I think "this isn't too bad now that it's fully upgraded, but I wish I could pen things and also fire at range"

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So the Iowa can totally do this right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd5MqjvhW9c

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Another option would be to reduce fire damage linear with the % of max health left. With a minimum of 20% or so. Thus if your at low health a fire has more problems to kill you.

You mean like dealing a % of remaining health in damage?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Space Flower posted:

Nono, he means to chunk ships down but not finish the last bits.

Dealing a percent of remaining health wouldn't ever kill a ship

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gort posted:

Yeah, but he's only talking about fire damage, not HE damage.

...Right. That's what he was saying, right? Fires doing progressively less damage as you get damaged, something like a percentage of remaining health.

I'm getting confused. Did I miss something or ask my question in a strange way?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Artless Meat posted:

Just had a game where I shot boats a lot, drove like an idiot, then shot a boat so hard the game ended well before we had enough points.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfOAfEFspZU

Huh. So if the enemy score goes negative, you win.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Raged posted:

Really does anyone honestly care about the e-peen multiple screen shots of your scores? Who honestly gives a rats rear end. Break 10k exp sure post it but other wise no one gives a gently caress.

"Who cares about your game experience in this thread of discussion about the game?"

poo poo, I don't know.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

yaay posted:

don't pretend that pages of scoreboard.jpg with mostly no replies is the same thing as discussion

So if I don't reply to you, you shouldn't be allowed to post?

I like this idea.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sextro posted:

I messed around with playing in a window and I'm starting to get a feeling. Bb players what resolutions are you guys playing at? I feel significantly more screwed by the RNG when playing at lower resolutions.

Just under 1080p

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sextro posted:

And also post how much you think the RNG matters.

A lot. I'm playing the Wyoming, new York, and south Carolina though.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've finally fully-upgraded my New York, and I feel like I have a BB that can somewhat reliably citadel cruisers. Is there a set of guides or resources that tell you where to shoot ships? Coming from Tanks, it's really weird not knowing where to shoot/aim.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tank Boy Ken posted:

As in War Thunder (any game): Play what is fun to you. Having T10 ships which you don't enjoy is pointless. F2P games offer progression. That doesn't mean that you have to progress.

This, seriously. I spent like 400 games in my Sherman and Churchill back in the day in tanks, both tier five. I learned how to play, had a ton of fun, and made a lot of silver. Only after a long time did I start going up to tier six and beyond, and even then there was a purpose: clan wars.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DurosKlav posted:

drat lost my first game today, 12-1-1. Got the one team in the game who doesnt know how to easy win Hotspot. Top tier game even, dunno how you not know how to play it by now.

For my, uh, friend's benefit, mind explaining how to win said map?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
People bitch and complain about Arty in WoT too. Not surprising.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Warbadger posted:

Prior to the succession of major nerfs artillery was similarly over-performing. It remains a terrible game mechanic that somehow manages to be unfun for both the person playing it and playing against it.

So yeah, kinda like carriers!

I played before those nerfs, and arty wasn't particularly absurd except when a map featured a chokepoint where both sides had to sit and wait.

Xae posted:

People bitch about high reward, low risk gameplay.

There's a lot of that in this game, and that's the current meta.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Night10194 posted:

Yeah, Cruisers are generally quite balanced and fun.

One of these is correct.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NTRabbit posted:

Are you completely unfamiliar with torp spreads or what? Manual drop, stack the torpedoes on top of each other, and the spread between each torpedo is so wide that vessels with short hulls, ie all of the standard battleships, the Langley, the Bogue are so short that they can sit still and have the 1st and 4th torpedoes miss them by default, and only the 2nd and 3rd torpedo can hit, provided you line it up right. Make the ship move just a little, and it's ridiculously easy for torpedo 2 or 3 to slide right by, because the distance is too huge. It's a lot easier to hit with 4 torps from a US carrier drop, but then you only have the one squadron to do it with, so it evens out.

Mean time, as soon as you hit tier 5 there is enough AA out on the water to render your air wings inert after about 3 strikes. My Hosho tended to lose about 4 bombers per attack against solitary New Yorks, I lose about 6-8 per attack run from my Zuiho that goes anywhere near a Cleveland or a New Mexico. I wonder what game you people are playing if you can't drive a battleship and avoid the majority of incoming damage from air dropped torpedoes, let alone something as agile as a Cruiser or Destroyer, because it's relatively straightforward to do, even with my lovely ping.

Also, likely the only reason my CV damage is highest is because I can contribute in virtually every battle, as planes are fast; many battles, especially in my battleships, you tend to end up rolling the dice wrong and getting stuck on the side of the map with either nothing or only Destroyer, and virtually unhittable light cruisers to shoot at, and no time to get back somewhere better.

Total garbage, Cruisers are fun and ridiculously unbalanced, particularly those with 6 inch guns. They utterly annihilate everything with HE spam - destroyers, battleships, carriers, carrier planes, even heavy cruisers need to get relatively lucky. They are the singular class most in need of a nerf.

Pretty much exactly this. My Bogue is such a huge difference from my Langley it hurts.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Man people are really grumpy about aircraft carriers. But not the cruisers they and everyone else drive.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DurosKlav posted:

Angering people by capping is one of my all time favorite thing to do in these games. HOW DARE YOU PLAY THE GAME!

"I play for EXP!"
>leaves cap
>loses

Wow, look at all the XP you got for losing!

Every god damned pubbie ever

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So this just happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjTbFVT8BGg

:stonk: I didn't know that was possible

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dezztroy posted:

The St. Louis is pretty easy to citadel with BBs. It's heavily armored for a cruiser, yes, but not enough to matter for 14' guns.

My New York has trouble penning St. Louises at close range.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a formula for determining the rough angle your shells will be landing at as a function of distance and maximum range?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

grrarg posted:

The spotter is great for dumb low tier carriers that like to sit in one place. Murmansk with an AFT captain and the spotter plane has 21km range.

I can never loving figure out how to lead properly with the scout view.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Please, someone give me an A and a B. I've been playing for hours with goons and getting nothing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You're a godsend

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Thronde posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q98yrPKxmig

That's one of the 2 hull types I support now, and I can't wait to get underway with one to see the high speed maneuvers in person, poo poo's gonna be insane. They're loving fast for 600ft of ship.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EunDiDKOLk8 :stare: Goddamn, modern ships are loving sturdy.

Aren't the LCSes plagued by a ton of problems at the moment?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ranbo das posted:

a kids cartoon

I got some bad news for you

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

All other things being equal, you should have about a 48% w/r if you just loving afk matches. You won't make any friends, but :shrug:

Isn't that actually what you should get if you have an average skill? If you're AFK, you've created something more akin to a 11 v 12, actively handicapping your team.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
can poi be japanese?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

can poi be poi?
can poi poi poi?
poi poi poi poi?

Poi poi

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Huh. Not bad for a first win in a Myogi

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MREBoy posted:

Bonus code giveaway: 50 flags, 1 day premium. There were ~1650 codes left as of this posting. Good only for NA/EU servers.

https://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/world-of-warships-bonus-code-key-giveaway

Codes are broken and have been for a while. When you sign up they send you:

WOWSALIENWARE

Which is not formatted correctly and do not activate.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It just activated fine for me, but it hasn't credited yet.

Where'd you put it in? What server? I'm NA, used the website.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pacra posted:

Considering the amount of people that post in here vs. amount of people on TS, wish there was more goonboats organization ingame or out-of-game

ThIs, the TS is dead a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dalael posted:

Where the hell do goons hang out nowadays? Every time I log in the game, SEAMN is empty and its the same for the TS server.

I've been wondering this too