Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Lol can't spot a DD in smoke from literally 1.5 KM away. Yea can see that getting old fast.

If your ship has torps, This would be a great time to blind fire a wide spread, you know roughly where the DD is, and it won't see the torps till its too late in the smoke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Is it just me or have they removed some maps for the CBT?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Artless Meat posted:

I think the AA stats are bugged or something. During Alpha, my Mogami seemed to shoot down planes just as good as Clevelands, and Fuso's seem to shoot down way more planes than they should.

Yeah I think so too. My Mogami used to make short work of planes anywhere near it, However in CBT it can only get a single plane kill if the squad just hovers around long enough

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

For the lower tier ships, not really, since your not very fast to begin with, But as you start to get into tier 5-6, you may find yourself having to throttle down so you don't go alone and die from your speed, Unless your a destroyer of cause

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So many Battleship players just seem to want to recreate the Yamato battle tonight :negative:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Being mostly a DD player so far, and liking the US DD's over the japs, Battleship secondaries do hurt, alot, when they hit. I have had situations where I have been utterly destroyed in seconds because of some lucky secondary hits. Hell even CV secondaries are no laughing manner.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Prav posted:

DDs really ought to have the current gunnery of US destroyers and the torpedo range and detectability of Japanese destroyers as the baseline. Then give to US boats better guns and Japanese better torpedoes.

I had a... Isokaze I think? chasing my Kongo before. She was 5ish kilometers away and all other enemy ships were in the other direction so I just put my butt to her and ignored her while sailing towards the action. What was she gonna do, peck me to death? Close in at 4 kn/h and torp me some time next week?

This is kinda why I like US DD's, The guns can do something, it murders other DD's, and if you ignore it, those lucky few 1k+ crit damage really mounts up when the guns fire every 3-4 seconds

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

The jump from 'heavy destroyers' to heavy cruisers in the IJN cruiser line is a little daunting at first, Your now the size of some battleships, you have a lot of meaty guns, and torps that will only fire as your facing away from your target

^Tier 3 cruisers are normally ww1 ships, when the thought that planes could threaten a warship was laughable, Your not going to get any proper AA till around Tier 5

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So for those of us not in the beta, what kind of early ships are there at Tier 1 and 2 or so?

Will we get to roll around in the HMS Dreadnought? :britain:

Or pre-dreadnoughts/armoured cruisers?

Tier 1 is training ships, Than you jump back in time for tier 2 and on for turn of the century ships, You will get the dreadnought, since IJN gets their version of the dreadnought

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Hammerstein posted:

Any reason for this ? Out of respect for the dead ?

You won't get famous ship names, but rather the ship hull name, There was talk that famous ships will be premiums, So stuff like Hood,Bismark,Enterprise,so on

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

That doesn't answer my question. The first few days I played Torpedoes were visible from enough distance away that you could at least react. The last 10-20 rounds they've just materialized a hundred yards from my ship.

It could be lag issues between you and them, or if they are torp bombers, the guy is manual torping you

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Murdering other DD's with your OP guns and than plunking away at battleships that are distracted...with your guns, You just kinda end up using us torps as area of denial weapons thanks to their short range and longish reload

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Clevelands are terrifying in general. I would rather stay far away from them and just let the bb's get gunned gun them down for me

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I almost single handily saved a game in my tier six us DD, against a fuso, two DD's and a cleveland, loosing two turrets, a torp tube, and all my team before they killed me :negative:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

santanotreal posted:

The balance system currently overvalues carriers too, which just makes them even worse. I've had games where we got 1 carrier and the other team got 0 carriers, so in return they gave them two extra cruisers and the stronger battleships. Needless to say we lost horribly.

There is also the problem that carriers are the only warship in the game where a single tier difference makes them a liability, If you got two same tiered carriers on one team, and one carrier on the other that is one tier higher, that one carrier will win other the other two, If it has the air superiority mod, than the other carriers may just as well never launch aircraft and drive up to the nearest enemy ship

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

For smoke you should be turning away or into your own smoke trail, as it does not fully conceal you as your DD deploys it, also if the smoke is thick enough, you can sit still in it and go all guns fireing and not be detected even at 1km out of the nearest enemy ship

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Your playing a bot game, so yes, it is nerfed :v:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Jaroslav posted:

Is there any way to "lock" your guns towards a position, or target? Would like to be able to look around without my guns moving out of position.

Ctrl+X will lock your weapons to your aiming point when you press those buttons, though its a bit glitchy if your range exceeds the map border

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Victor Surge posted:

I love the Farragut. I haven't played the IJN destroyers, but I already think I wouldn't have as much fun. I keep it at the stock hull because forget having shorter range torpedoes and lose a turret.

5 turrets with a 3 second reload means you can machine gun people regardless of class, especially enemy DDs and anyone else distracted. I regularly get 2000+ damage salvos on cruisers as long as I hit critical areas.

I ended up taking the upgraded hull just to shred planes that come and try to sink me as I close in on the carriers

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Fart Car '97 posted:

I'm worried the developing pubbie carrier meta is all fighters all the time because TBing is hard and if you go all fighters you can play pretend useful rts

I'm finding it frustrating that for whatever reason torp bombers want to do long, unaborted circles as they drop their torps

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

One of the mods deleted my torpedo warning sound/indicators :negative:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

demonR6 posted:

Huh? They are all visual..

Yeah the triangles above torps are gone, the indicators near the cross air is gone, and even the sound is gone

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Kongo is awesome, Fuso is even better, though I have heard not so great things from the T7 battleship, which just looks like another kongo class

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

demonR6 posted:

Which one did you install so I can check the file contents? It might override something but won't delete anything so all you have to do is go back and delete the file from res_mods/0.3.0 folder. I will dick with them now and install them all individually to see if I can find it on my own.

Reply with "umad bro, Poi?" and then watch things get interesting.

I almost off of them, I have uninstalled them now, but it was the Contour mod, Eye of Saroun and the colour blind mod that I did not download for one reason or another

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I some how lost a fighter due in a fighter speced Independence against another independence who was torp speced, The guy some how almost wiped out two squads of fighters on his to only two losses :psyduck:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

No and no. Its a fully upgraded Independence with the fighter efficiency upgrade and survivability upgrade.. We where fighting over a lone Myogi who his fighters where hovering over

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Then it could be just more wonderful RNG: his fighters got a few lucky rolls early on, got an advantage and it snowballed?

probably, just what we all need more of hey?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

If they linger around their drop of point, no. They are stuck there, and they will also will be dropping them too late and not how you wanted them to drop their torps

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I think the only real difference we will see from WWII era German ships in game was their design to be 'unsinkable by flooding'. which could lead to less torp damage or less flooding damage/chance

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

xthetenth posted:

And they get what they want, and they never want it again (hopefully).

Or WoWS will just turn into navy field 3.0, since everyone only played the open waters map :negative:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I'm one of those spergy idiots who brought the 3 pack cause I like botes :negative:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I got my first match on the ocean map, funny enough its was a DD fest match, we still lost as the team forgot we had a base

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Zhanism posted:

How far up the US destroyer line is it worth to go? The Farragut does not seem like much of an upgrade on paper.

If you had to pick which line to get to tier 10, the US line would be it, at that point the difference in torps is small, and the IJN still keeps their bad gun performance where US DDs fast firing guns just get better

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Well the space mini game broke my game camera, Doing to have to do an entire redownload to fix it

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I don't like the Fuso very much. It's much too sluggish for my tastes. Kongo is the life.

Battleships should be even faster, and have even bigger guns, and even less armour. Jutland was a disaster because those ships weren't fast enough. We can call the new ships battledestroyers, which is an even greater name. Nothing can go wrong with this.

I guess you will just have to wait for dedicated Fast Battleship/Battle Cruiser/Pocket Battleship lines :v:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So is there an official site/topic on the NA versions for all the updates of the aim mod? I am hearing the current version is broke with a patch

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Burt posted:

I actually find it pretty relaxing to play, which is a first for a game for me. You can log on, get in your Fuso and sit at the edge of the map shelling fools whilst getting called a n00b camper by the idiots on your team. Pretty much win-win.

Yeah they are right, even in the bigger battleships you want to get at 13-10km so your shells have a flat arc, more chances for hits and pens that way

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Dalael posted:

On another note, The Saipan is being removed and they are putting the independance in its place instead. I don't remember the Saipan much, but I don't think it was a bad carrier, was it? They added the Bogue to fill the spot of the independance.. I have literally never heard of that carrier before and I am too tired to use my google-fu. Does anyone have any info regarding this ship?

The Bogue is simply a Langly, expect the Bogue was not a converted cargo ship. This is mostly back in the days of navy field where the bogue was the introduction US carrier. Its another super light carrier, I think one got mistaken by a Japanese fleet as one of the fleet carriers, so they punched it with AP shells :v:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

So armor models are pretty terrible then? Plunging fire in big gun ships was almost always (not always) more likely to score penetrations than flat hits against belt armor.

Wow that was so long ago. But I think it is a hidden part of balance to atleast give smaller ships a chance to fight back without getting reliably full broadsided beyond their engagement range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Had the best game in my New York game...that ended in a loss, 6 kills, High Caliber Confederate, and Devastating Strike gave me 300k in credits and almost 3000 in xp :negative:

Also in capture the point rounds, If one team fails so much that they get to zero points, it is an instant win to the other team :smith: