Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
I am really not good at this game, but my god are some people just awful. What is it with people who slow to a stop to shoot? Watched 3 guys drive into the open and just halt, oddly enough, went poorly for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Soon as it feels like I get a handle on the game, someone quickly reminds me that I don't. Thought I had a guy solid, but I must have been shooting AP shells at him for too long, or was hitting empty spaces, as his shots were hitting a lot harder.

I really don't like the tier 1 japanese cruiser though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I managed to catch a destroyer with a full broadside of HE from a St Louis. That was pretty neat. I finally feel like I'm catching on this game.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
The terrible music is what really makes phontomen videos. I really want to try US destroyers now, that ROF on those guns looks fun.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
The guns on a IJN destroyer turn so slowly I'm not sure why they are even there.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I really wish every game in my St Louis wasn't against almost all tier 5s. All those guns are great and all, but it can't compete.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I don't get why sometimes torpedoes aren't visible until about 100m from the ship. I didn't even have time to turn until I saw an entire spread just show up.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I've got some good shots on a enemy Fuso, and a dipshit destroyer behind me nails me with 3 torpedos. I sink before I can lay a few shots into him. Worst part is, the Fuso was 9 km out, so he was never going to hit him.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Dalael posted:

For the coolest ship in history, you have to look at the US destroyer William D. Porter.

http://www.historynet.com/uss-william-d-porter-the-us-navy-destroyers-service-in-world-war-ii.htm

"Although they performed well, their ship seemed to be haunted by a Jonah and unable to entirely shake its embarrassing past. During a break in exercises in the Aleutians a sailor came back to the ship drunk after leave and decided he wanted to fire one of Willie Dee's big guns. He fired the weapon before anyone could stop him, having no idea where the 5-inch shell would land. Unfortunately, it just happened to land in the front yard of the base commandant's home while he was having a little party for fellow officers and their wives. Fortunately, the only damage was to the destroyer's already unenviable reputation. "

Goddamn.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I really liked the Phoenix after upgrading it all the way. Sure it loses out on the sheer Orkish volume of fire that the St Louis has, but gains 10kts and a ton of maneuvering ability. The torps are neat I guess, I've only fired them once or twice, they are too short ranged to be very useful unless I catch a BB unaware.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I really think the Kawachi is a giant piece of poo poo.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
The Myogi is worse the the Kawachi, what the poo poo.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I think I really like the Omaha. I hung out with some destroyers early one, shot up enemy destroyers for a bit. Beat up a Phoenix until he ran, and chased down both carriers and sunk them both while avoiding all but 2 torpedoes. Carriers are squishy, but they still take a long time to wear down their HP, I would swap between AP and HE to try and keep them set on fire, couldn't line up a good torpedo hit while dodging though.

On a side note, people need to understand that getting between a destroyer and a enemy ship means you will get torpedoes launched at you. Got some lip from someone who was moving into torpedo range as I fired. He later on drove directly at a Kongo and died before launching, so I'm not sure he is a good judge of torpedoing.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

TheFluff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWD34JSYU9k

Cleveland, Cleveland, Pensacola and some torpedo bombers vs Yamato. We win. Action starts at around 04:20 and we get into deep poo poo at around 07:00.

Man, the shells that Cleveland puts downrange is scary.

For me, Cruisers have been the most enjoyable ships in the game. At least the US ones. They feel like they always have something to do, you aren't waiting 30s for a reload like on a BB, you aren't waiting on torps to hit or reload on a destroyer, you just go out and start clicking on things.
If at high tier things go south, then I'll be more then happy to stick at tier 4-6 with fun ships.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I dunked a St Louis in my Myogi with a 17k citadel hit, which makes it the first game in my Myogi where my main guns did more then the secondaries.
Then a Fuso hit me with a full broadside while I was shooting another St Louis and returned the favor.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
First game today and I pick the Tatsuta. The ship is already really bad, and a minute into the game, a ally hits me with a torpedo broadside from about 200m away. It is outgunned by destroyers, who thought that turret placement was a good idea.

I wish I could set the main guns on the Myogi to autofire and then just use the secondaries, because holy poo poo it has terrible guns.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 25, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I take my shiny new Nicholas destoryer out, get hit twice by a crusier and explode. Shell didn't look like they hit anywhere near anything important. Next round, y Kuma eats 2 torps from a Minekaze that suicide charged me, I explode. Yay.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I wish I could get the zen of torpedoes down, it always feel like I dodge or hit with them by blind luck, while I'll watch someone else send them out like they grew up torping poo poo. I'm probably not doing enough to dodge the things before they fire, but usually I get focused on gunning down the destroyer instead of surviving. I have a feeling my recklessness from tanks will not a be a help.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Insert name here posted:

I once pulled up literally right next to an enemy Kongo in mine and we duked it out Age of Sail style and it was boss as hell

I love getting a battleship near another battleship, it looks like battlestar galactica with all the secondary batteries opening up. Especially if there are some planes overhead.

Its too bad the secondary gunners are drunk as poo poo though, sometimes its possible to risk driving a DD into secondary range to get a good shot off.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 31, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Adventure Pigeon posted:

So what ship is best to grind credits in at the moment? A Kongo?

So far the Omaha has been my prime choice for credit printing.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Burt posted:

So, does anyone think this game has the legs to keep running for a while when it's out of Beta?

I find it simply doesn't have enough complexity to keep me amused. I have ground out a Cleveland and a Kongo and I have no interest in getting anything else as it's a boring grind all said and done, which compared to how much I played WoTs Beta is pretty damning. I really can't put my finger on why I think it's bad, it's a combination of a few things but I can't even be arsed to log in any more and when I do I just get my 1.5 games.

I think it tries to be the game that all the serious ship spergs wanted, but it isn't, but if you point this out you just get dog piled.

Serious discussion.

I honestly don't really find the game to be as fun as I expected. The core of the game is really solid, the problem is with everything in the game that isn't shooting at other ships.

Top complaints for me: The maps are terrible and there are too few of them. The only map that I like is the beginner map, the islands make for some fire lanes while providing cover. It also doesn't make sense to restrict maps by tier when you only have 5 maps. Also, the domination style maps end way too quickly, a team that caps 2 points quickly and manages to get a decent point lead early on will win.

Another thing for me is that going up a tier doesn't feel like I've actually improved a ship all that much, outside of the US cruiser line and some of the battleships. The destroyer lines in particular just look dull from tier 5 on. In tier 6 and above games, it feels like the match is decided by who has the most battleships, and the cruisers and destroyers don't feel as useful. Don't get me wrong, they can be useful if things go right, but battleships are just better. Carriers are just really boring to play against and to play.

I feel that ships could really do with being tougher though. I wouldn't mind if the damage control system had stored charges, so you could say use 1, then 30s later use another, but now there is a 2 minute recharge per use. Its not fun being taken out of the game for a couple of minutes because the rudder is broke.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Am I wrong in thinking the Furutaka is a gigantic piece of poo poo? I wish I unlocked the Aoba with the old tier 4 instead of this worthless thing.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

James Garfield posted:

I wonder if they fixed the pyromania retraining thing. I don't even know if it was real but while my Hatsuharu commander was retraining I consistently did loads of fire damage. Whenever I play this game next I guess I'll retrain him again for :science:
Also I don't know what wargaming did but the Hatsuharu is fun now. It's nice to have worthwhile guns and the torpedoes aren't as bad as they used to be. If you fight bad players in US destroyers (most of them) you can win gun duels thanks to the higher shell velocity.

It's really awkward. You can beat Omahas consistently if you only fight one on one and control the range and angle carefully. Otherwise it has a hard time accomplishing much. I don't know why it doesn't even get the final configuration, with 3x2 instead of 6x1 guns. It's not like it needs lovely firing arcs on top of the low volume of fire and glacial gun traverse.
There's nothing about the ship that justifies having less effective damage per minute than a Kongo, except I guess that ~battleships were historically the most useful ships in wwii.~

Yea, if I can control the range I'm fighting at and everyone is kind enough to show up on the correct side of the ship, it can actually lay out damage. Provided shells land somewhat near were they are supposed to, which seems to be a pretty huge issue with this.
If the turrets could actually turn in a slightly more reasonable fashion, I don't think it would be too bad.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

El Disco posted:

Carriers are a loving mess right now. They're not balanced well against other ships and they sure as hell aren't balanced against themselves. Am I crazy for thinking that they were a lot better before the IJN carriers were introduced? Granted this is only from seeing them perform, because I didn't even get out of the Langley before I wanted to kill myself.

At low tier carriers are really brutal, especially if you are in something that isn't a destroyer. I had a game in a South Carolina and teams were all tier 3 except a single tier 4 carrier on each side. I steered for islands, but its a BB so its not like speed is a thing. I see the torpedo bombers coming, I turn into them and actually dodge all but 1 torp. 2nd wave comes in, but this guy splits his bombers and nails me with 3-4 torps. I'm down to less then 5k health, rest of team crumples, I curse BBs for being slow and stupid. This is a edge case since both carrier guys knew enough to send everything at me, but even if my team had stuck near me, nothing at that tier has AA better then some rear end in a top hat standing on the deck with a revolver.

Above tier 5? Planes are sometimes annoying, but things have AA now and the spreads aren't tight, and half the planes in a run are gone before they fire anyway.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Every round in this always feels like a runaway game. Win or lose, it never feels like there is a game that could go either way more then a minute or 2 in.
I think anyone that gives an enemy a First Blood medal more then twice a day should have their speed limited for the first 2 minutes of a game just to keep them from suiciding.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I watched an ally ship round an island and be presented with 2 targets. At 7 km, a Hashidate that was brought into a tier 3 game. At 3km, the remaining enemy Kawachi with 15k health. He was in a Tenryu, and had time for a single torpedo launch before being killed by the Kawachi. He fired both launchers at the Hashidate and then exploded. Not a single torpedo came close. Ally Kawachi dropped a handful of shells on the Hashidate 20s later.

Thankfully our remaining BB just barely sunk the ship before dying from fire.

The tier 2 IJN destroyer is so insanely good I almost don't see a reason to move up the tree with it. 7km torpedoes that fire every 24 seconds and you get to shoot at ships that can't even begin to dodge them.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Mirrors posted:

I'm having a hard time "getting" destroyer play. I've got a Wickes, and I think I die first every game I play in and rarely kill anything. I had a game or two where I did serious work with the Sampson but just can't seem to get this even a little consistent. Is that just the nature of the beast or is there a secret I need to know?

Until tier 5, US destroyers are just kinda terrible. Your torpedo range is lower then your concealment range, so you can't surprise people. You can really do good work with your guns, if you catch IJN destroyers in the open, but other then that anyone else will murder the poo poo out of you.
The Sampson and Wickles are pretty worthless. The Clemson at least gets a lot of barrels to fling shells out of.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

DiomedesGodshill posted:

Very nice. I haven't done that well yet. IJN destroyers are amazing fun. I just finished a game where I kept two groups of enemy ships at 7km from me where I slipped down the middle through them to hunt down their carrier and torp it into oblivion. I haven't played a carrier yet but I imagine you start getting worried when you notice a lone IJN destroyer 15km out and coming your way (his returning planes spotted me). He panicked and beached himself and died horribly. There was a hostile Wyoming near that tried to help out but he was too late. He was also sent to the bottom.

A destroyer anywhere near carriers makes them panic, bad players will recall all their planes in the hope of killing the destroyer. Getting a Cleveland near them is similar, and even better as you an farm all their planes as they try to do something.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I wish I could figure out why sometimes the torpedo warning doesn't show up until 3 seconds before they hit. I got the torpedos in the water warning, the beeping and then barely started to turn before dying. Yet sometimes I can see them from farther out.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Goddammit. 138000 points of damage from torpedos, sunk a Wyoming from 100% to 0, based another to pieces, took a New York down to sub 10k, but there wasn't enough people left on my team. Enemy Phoenix took out my engine twice, then got a magazine detonation on me before I could have fired my last salvo.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Honestly in US destroyers I just tend to stay away from US cruisers. Especially St Louises. Other ones are actually fast enough and have good enough guns to chase you. Japanese cruisers can be a little easier to handle, since destroyer guns can do a pretty respectable amount of damage to them.

However, St Louises being scary ends the second you get 6+km torpedoes in IJN destroyers. At that point they become xp pinatas.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jul 8, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Tagichatn posted:

I saw the pubbiest thing in a game earlier. There was a St. Louis shooting at torpedo bombers. At least he was shooting HE. In other news, the isokaze is amazing. 60+ knot torps are tough to dodge and some games I kill multiple battleships from 100%.

The Isokaze and maybe the Minekaze are kind of the peak of the destroyer tree on the IJN side for me. Being able to launch torpedoes from outside visual range that travel at 68 knots means just about anyone in a battleship that isn't paying full attention to their surroundings is going to eat 2-3 per salvo. If they start turning and getting creative, that means they probably aren't shooting at anyone now as well. Then its easy enough to leave them alone and shoot at someone near them for a bit.

This is kinda the only thing I really expect WGing to look into is seal clubbing stealth destroyers in the tier 3/4 bracket. I know it isn't fun for the person who suddenly gets a torpedo warning and then loses 80% of their health. Its a tough lesson to learn too, since for most people they manage to get a "what the gently caress was that" before exploding.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Last game in the Kawachi and its finally a good one. Terrible start, I had some good shots on destroyers that hit for a whopping 800 a few times, that is fun. Early highlight is a Chester bow on towards me at 5km, I fire a broadside with all 4 guns and didn't score a single hit.

Got real lucky near the end and take down their final South Carolina by getting close enough for my secondaries to weaken the ship enough for the rear turret to get it. 4.5k xp and its Myogi time.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It's a fully-upgraded Omaha with longer ranged torps, better maneuverability (including an extra tenth of an knot in maximum speed), almost half a km better surface concealment, and oh...a stock engagement range of 14.8km over the Omaha's max of 12.7km. Tack on the 20% bonus of Advanced Firing Training and that 14.8km becomes ~17.76km, which can outrange the New York at tier (but not the Kongo).

So yeah, the Murmansk is worth it. Very worth it.

I'm really kicking myself for not buying the Humble Bundle thing, got side tracked from work stuff and forgot about it.
I'm not sure I want to drop money on this game yet, at least until they come clear on when you can use tanks gold in this.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
So on Fault Line enemy ignores Destroyer Thunderdome except a poor Tenryu and a handful of ships head for their cap. Ships get in the cap and just stop. Full stop right in the open, not even near the goddamn island for cover. A Wyoming does the same goddamn thing. WHY.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I wonder if this would work in game, but I wonder if it would be possible to see torpedo wakes at longer ranges, but you don't get the warning alerts until they close within normal spotting range. That way an observant player could dodge, but if someone is tunnel visioning or just not paying attention, they get a free trip back to the port.

That would rely on someone not making a mod that sends alerts for the torpedo wakes.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Good lord the Furutaka is a pile of garbage. I thought it was bad in beta, but stock? The guns are ok, but fire too slow, turn too slow and have BB level accuracy. The problem is it turns like battleship and is armored like a Tenryu. On the other hand, it gave me the first game I've had where I've needed to TK someone. Guy ran into me as I was turning, then never turned. When we finally broke apart, he shot me a few times. I sent a shot back, he sent 2 torpedo spreads at me. I finally got turned and gave him a spread from the other side. Felt good, and I only lost 100xp as punishment.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
378Xp in a Furutaka game, with x1.5 daily and a 50% flag. It was that map where the teams are split, and a Cleveland chased me around. He out ranged me, and had guns that turned fast enough to dodge shots and fire. I'm really tempted to throw money at these assholes to skip this pile of poo poo. I'd rather have my Kuma and ground out the XP there to tier 6.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Panfilo posted:

So are people who play in beta going to get any goodies when the game goes live?

What did the people who were in the World of Tanks beta get?

A pretty useless tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Maybe the arming distance for air dropped torpedoes should maybe be a bit farther out. I managed to get within the arming circle of one, but the other 2 nope.

Also, if they can't manage to get even tier carriers in a match, then they need to make them wait in the matchmaker. Getting a single Langely against a tier 5 IJN carrier isn't fair in the slightest. This guy ended up with a 2500xp base xp game. No one could do anything against 3 torpedo wings.