Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

JacksLibido posted:

What? A Langley with the fighter mod should make mincemeat out of the torp squadrons, and unless the ijn carrier has both fighter mods and upgraded fighters, the Langley should be even fighter wise. When I was grinding out my Langley I used to LOVE getting matched against Japanese carriers, even 2v1 (same tier mind you) i was comfortable taking them on, it just meant I had to bait them into fights over friendly AA.

A Langley gets a single fighter squadron. The Zuiho on the other team gets a 3 torpedo bombers. It doesn't matter how good those fighters are, they aren't stopping those bombers, and no ship at tier 5 has the AA power to do more then slightly annoy the planes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I still love how some people regard being top tier as their chance to be an admiral. Sorry person, I'm not driving a loving Myogi directly at a pair of St Louises, I'll turn around and let them deal with the rear guns while I wait for a DD to get up and torp them. Which never happened because the DD was shooting his guns the entire time and ended up getting double broadsided by those St Lousies. Also the Myogi sucks and I want out of it. If it had just one more goddamn turret I think it would work, but only being able to put 6 shells at something is a real bummer.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Man, being dead in a few minutes because carriers can drop 1km from a ship sure is good game design.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

rossmum posted:

I hate to accidentally post something NTRabbit might agree with, but I can't wait until HE fire chance gets nerfed, even as someone who uses it a lot on DDs/cruisers. It's infuriating to be on the receiving end of HE spam from two or three different Omahas and Clevelands at once because your chucklefuck cruisers are too busy firing AP at a nearby battleship to keep them off you while you deal with something your own size. They're easy to citadel at any range, but when there are several of them, 30 second reloads cost too many HP.

As much as I love playing World of Oh God Everything is on Fire, yea, HE fire chance needs to be dropped pretty hardcore. I think maybe upping the damage by a little to compensate would be fair.

I'm not really crazy with how long system damage and things like fire last anyway. A minute and a half is a long time to be sitting somewhere with a dead engine, going in circles or being on fire. I've swapped over to premium damage control consumables simply because of that time.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

OSad posted:

I understand that having fun is important, especially in a game that gets a little old the more you play it. And I do have fun playing and making money in my Kongou for instance.

But I don't enjoy playing a boat that I'm essentially done with, just to get credits with her. To me, it feels like a terrible waste of time: I'd rather just play another ship of the same tier that I'm not done with, and make credits and meaningful progress down a line with that way. It's a real destructive behavior in this game since that's just not viable past tier 8, but I just can't bring myself to play a ship for the sake of playing a ship and nothing else. It feels like I'm making zero progress.

Ironically I burned out in world of tanks for this exact reason, I have a bunch of tier 9 tanks researched but no credits whatsoever, and I don't want to play tanks I'm done with just to get credits. I'm ready to admit this is some stupid behavior on my part but my pragmatism speaks higher than fun in most cases.

That is pretty much how I feel about the game, when I rent out of stuff to play for, I don't play a whole lot. I think ships is going to have a worse problem with this with how similar some ships are per tier.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I don't think I've had a night where more poo poo could go wrong constantly. Just solid, wall to wall poo poo. I played like poo poo, teams did poo poo, just poo poo everywhere.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Kresher posted:

I caved in and bought Atlanta today.

I got Korean mixed in, since that's the only way I can get in-game Korean chatting patched in.

In right maps with tight engagement corridors at short range, the Atlanta lets me spam fireballs like a madman.

Atlantas are goddamn terrifying in a destroyer. Oh look a wall of orange heading towards me, oh look, another, and another and another.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Night10194 posted:

Please no. Lie to me if you must. :negative:

The Myogi has a good chance of seeing a significant amount of carriers and doesn't get any AA until the 3rd hull.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

counterfeitsaint posted:

Is there a short list of ships that are considered really good that I should be aiming for? I just unlocked my first tier 4, and have more or less enjoyed the ships I've gotten so far, except maybe the T1 stuff.

St Louis, Omaha, Isokaze, Clemson and Kuma are some of my favorite ships so far.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Downside with US DDs and tier 6+ battle ships is the crazy amount of secondaries that show up. Back in CBT I got a Nicholas up near a T7 ship and got mulched. Meanwhile some dude in a Minekaze is just clowning the poo poo out of them.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
If the Furutaka had guns that could turn faster then BB guns, I think it might work. 45s for a turn is simply too slow for a cruiser.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Its frustrating as hell having a carrier park some fighters near my destroyer, so I'm constantly spotted.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Not sure I like the 10km torpedoes on the Minekaze, that speed hit on them doesn't seem to be worth the range boost.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Dalael posted:

Far from me the idea to act like a wehraboo, but my teeth always cringe when people say things like that regarding the Bismark. It had flaws, just like any other ship, but was still a nice piece of engineering. The biggest flaw it suffered from was a High Command that was clueless and a Furher who thought himself as Military Savyy as Donald Trump thinks he is.

Germans weren't quite pants on head retarded with ships compared to some of their ground stuff. Probably a good combination of a long history of naval design and the amount of time it took to build them kept a lot of the insanity down.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I finally had a chance to use the Myogi the proper way, as a couple thousand ton battering ram into the side of a Wyoming. Wish I could have survived it, but I was down to around 10k health and he had over 30k. Took him with me though.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Standard match on Hotspot, I'm trying out the IJN carrier because I hate myself, and for the first time, I'm not facing 2v1 on carriers, its just me. Entire team just bolts in every direction, while 3 of their DDs drive right down the middle and I end up running the entire match. Not a single ship was in the middle.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Go fast, go hard, use the 7km torps. The Minekaze is one of a kind.

The only downside to the Minekaze over the Isokaze is simply it sees higher tier ships that better suited to dealing with it. An Isokaze has a good chance being dropped into a game with a bunch of tier 3 and tier 4 ships, and those ships are probably going to have a bad time unless there is a good player in a Clemson. A Phoenix/Kuma is a close second, but those players tend to die fast if they are aggressive.
Dumping a Isokaze in a match and filling it full of battleships is a wonderful sight.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Important thing with the Tenryu/Kuma is you never want to the only ship in an area. People tunnel vision like mad in this game, show up behind other ships, wait for people to start on them, then engage. The 6 guns on the Kuma can lay out some really good damage if ignored. You can also harass DDs. Even if you have to limit your shots, don't turn broadside to someone.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Turning around an island and seeing an Atlanta is about the worst thing while in a DD, goddamn those suck to play against. Plus they are quick enough to dodge torps.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I learned today that a Cleveland can put shots through the front of an Omaha and hit the citadel. I went from near full health to under 1k life in a single salvo.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
It came to my attention that I am a camping noob, I wish to apologize to everyone. I citadel'd a Phoenix that was broadside to me, and this set him off.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
I get one good shot off in one game, and paid for it with constant poo poo from then on. I'm in a Murmansk, and I nail a Phoenix with 4 citadels in a single shot, and then get another on the second salvo. He's down something like 18k health. He gets behind an island, and around the island are 2 Clevelands. I dodge for all I can, but there is no hiding from 2 of them.

Every game since has been terrible, capping things off was getting torped by a suicidal Minekaze that nailed me mid turn before a Cleveland could kill him. Think I'm done a few days.

I think the Aoba is pretty good, but I think the Cleveland is quite a ways ahead of it. With the way critical strikes and HE damage works right now, a Cleveland spamming HE will wreck the poo poo out of an Aoba. Plus those fuckers have a tiny citadel, I'm not sure I've hit one yet.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Razzled posted:

Is the Kongo much better than the Myogi? I'm debating using my free exp to skip the last 20k stretch of the Myogi, but frankly if the Kongo isn't much better I'd rather just save it. I feel like 1 more turret doesn't really matter if it's gonna be much the same as the Myogi (slow turret traverse, poor accuracy, terrible AA)

The Kongo is a significant improvement over the Myogi, even when stock. You have another turret, the Kongo is capable of hitting things a bit better, and it feels more maneuverable. The downside is it has pretty much 0 AA in the stock hull, and people will actually shoot at you first since you are a threat, unlike the Myogi.

However, it is still a battleship, so you have slow turret traverse, poor accuracy, and the AA isn't impressive even on the 2nd hull. Pretty much all BBs are like this, the Myogi is a unique turd in the line, but nothing ever gets that much better.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Scikar posted:

Overpen just means you either didn't hit enough armour to trip the fuse in your shell, or you did hit enough armour but the shell came out of the other side of the ship before it detonated (e.g. you hit the far side of his deck armour).

One of the forum mods has apparently been doing some testing and came up with some useful info here: http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/7695-dealing-damage-in-wows/

Relevant useful stuff:

Battleship guns have around double the base damage on AP versus HE, so in a situation where you are always going to overpen (e.g. a destroyer), you do about 2/3 damage when firing AP. But you'll do about 3x more damage when your AP shells do penetrate armour, and 6x on a citadel. So if you think you can penetrate armour at all you should always be firing AP, and only use HE when you know you can't penetrate or you're shooting at destroyers.

Cruiser AP is only 1.5x the damage of equivalent HE, so in the overpen situation you're doing half damage. Penetrations are x2, citadels are x4, so if you assume half your shots will penetrate but half will overpen, and you can't get a citadel, you break even. So in cruisers fire AP if you think can get a citadel or knock out main guns, otherwise HE.

Destroyer AP has almost the same damage as HE, so the only time to fire it is when a) the target's main belt is a bigger target than anything else, or b) you know you can get citadels (which is realistically only on light cruisers).

This assumes your HE shots all hit unprotected areas of course, since HE hitting armour will deal zero damage.

Also some useful info on what the blackened state of ships means:

In other words, once you've shot enough HE at someone to set his superstructure black, you are better off aiming for the bow or the stern if either of those are clean, since they are usually just as lightly armoured but you'll deal twice as much damage until they go black as well.

And finally torpedoes:

I actually ran into this today, I hit a New Mexico with 6 torps from my Mutsuki. All landed dead amidships and he survived with about 3k HP left. Presumably the New Mexico has lower than 0.9x multiplier on the midsection, so one torpedo each to the bow and stern would have probably killed him. This explains the second benefit of turning into torpedoes - once you've taken a certain amount of bow damage you can't take any more so you'll actually be immune to torpedoes that hit the bow after that point.

This explains a lot and is one of the problems I have with the game, they don't explain poo poo. Especially compared to how well they (eventually) got to describing tanks and giving out information.
Ships have a lot more going on with their armor and guns, and hidden mechanics like the ship taking less damage in some spots after awhile or torpedoes just do less damage because reasons. They need to expose armor values and ammunition penetration values again. This is particularly jarring when making the jump from the St Louis to the Phoenix.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

cheese posted:

I shot down 1 plane. The whole AA auras and dps/health mechanics of AA is weighted incredibly heavy by tier and its loving ridiculous. You might as well not even turn your guns on in an IJN cruiser against a +1/+2 carriers planes. Its loving infuriating because there is literally nothing you can do but maneuver and wait for the death strike. That CV's have remained virtually unaddressed this long is driving me step by step closer to just quitting this game.

Edit: Did I mention that this game had 1 tier X on each side and the game balanced out the enemies Hakuryu by giving us a Shimakaze? Ya, that went about as well as you would expect.

That's one of the frustrating things about carriers in the game, if one of them wants you dead then its simply a matter of time. Its far, far worse if there are 2 carriers on the other team.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Weird, I can't apply for SEAMN because I'm in still in a tanks clan, I guess they haven't split WoWS stuff from tanks. Or I'm doing something wrong.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
The stock Kongo is so depressingly sad, I really hope things improve now that I've got the B hull for it. It felt like every hit against it was for full damage.

Just had a game where the the matchmaker decided that enemy team needed 3 Kongos, while we should have no tier 5 BBs. That was nice.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

That movie was dumb as poo poo but somehow watchable.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Are there any mods with a damage log for received damage? I don't like not knowing who just took off a ton of damage.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Kinetica posted:

so the Aoba is so much fun at citadeling everything in sight.

However, gently caress the cleveland forever.

The Aoba is great at everything until a Cleveland or 2 Omahas show up. The turret rotation speed really becomes an issue when trying to dodge an orange wall every 8 seconds.

inkwell posted:

Well, using an island as cover is kinda silly since it restricts your range of freedom of maneuver. Putting off a torp bomber squadron requires a fair amount of effort, but it can be done. You need your speed up and you need to be paying that torp bomber squad your undivided attention (as the CV pilot is doing likewise, microing that manual drop).

The only real counter to torp bombers though is to hope your team has a carrier with fighters that is actually keeping the fighters as air cover for your BB stack.

Problem with having to focus on bombers is that while a carrier pilot is doing that, he generally doesn't have to worry about other things. Any other ship has a lot of other things to deal with.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
At least the Kawachi has those side mounted guns, so if you get close to people, you can put guns on things all around you. The Myogi eventually gets alright, but it has such a gun disadvantage compared to everything else that its hard to make it work. Wyoming might have smaller guns, but it has 3 more turrets to put shells out with. Also the Myogi has that giant stupid flat deck in the middle that attracts AP rounds.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm not going to get citadel shots on his nose.

I've been citadel'd through the nose on my Omaha by a New York before. It was a fun surprise. I think anything with 14" guns will punch through.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Well, I guess there is no chance I'll put more money into this then.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
At 12km, a Colorado nailed my Cleveland in mid-turn and did around 20k damage, then I stuck on part of a island that from I can tell, wasn't there. It always feels like I have the single cursed Cleveland in this game.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Bob Mundon posted:

It sometimes is faster, but I'll be the last person to load by several minutes sometimes, I doubt literally every person in the game has a SSD. Maybe my hard drive just sucks but it's strange the game runs fine beyond the load.

Try running something like this and seeing what comes up. http://www.hdtune.com/

You might be running this on a dying drive or it has some serious fragmentation issues.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
At what tier do Russian destroyers become good? I just unlocked the tier 4 one and it doesn't seem great so far.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

demonR6 posted:

Fifty dollars ouch but hey that's WG right?

They really overcharge for their premiums in this game, especially compared to WoT. I think I would have dropped money on this game if they had reasonably priced bundles.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Wasn't there something about doing less damage to planes in a dive? I remember something turning the game into World of BF109s.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Lord Koth posted:

This is not to say overall the Yamato isn't better, but the complaints about the shell penetration is getting tiresome. What does probably need toned down is Yamato's super heal, since despite the two ships having roughly the same HP, Yamato's Repair Party currently heals far more than Montana's.

Its funny that the US's self repair isn't better, considering how good US crews were at damage control and repair. Or maybe 1/10 times a IJN ship hits repair, someone accidentally fills the ship with gas fumes and the whole thing goes up next time its hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

I think Ocean's worse, it's this game's equivalent of Malinovka.

Ocean is by far the worst of any map Wargaming ever put into a game. Ocean is fun for IJN destroyers and carriers, everyone else is going to have a rough time.