Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

davejk posted:

Russian cruisers have a somewhat nasty combination of bad concealment, poor armour, and guns that can't easily shoot over cover.

Then the tier 10 is, for some reason, a battleship.

Yeah, it’s a rough grind to Moskva that I wouldn’t recommend for new players. The Moskva itself has some the best cruiser guns in the game, but is a huge soft target that maneuvers like a pregnant cow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Somehow with all of the changes and power creep through the years, Zao (my first tier 10) still really works for me, even in ranked. I can consistently get 150k+ damage without really trying, and I’m at best a pretty average player in most other ships. There really isn’t anything I can point to on paper that makes it that special anymore, but some combo of concealment, handling, HE railguns and troll armor still makes it work for me. It’s even better with the 12km torps and the re-worked turret traverse mod.

Burning angled BBs to the ground as I bounce their AP shells and they curse me out in the chat never gets old. But I also gets tons of DD and CL kills because I can hit them at angles and ranges they never expect, or shotgun a spread of nuclear torps into their smoke.

I’ve been grinding a lot of other lines after not having played the game much for over a year, but I still always come back to Zao.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 22, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

NTRabbit posted:

Russian heavy cruisers and battleships are the true problem classes in this game

Kremlins are breaking CA vs BB play.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I don’t see any scenario where WG could make CVs balanced. They’ll never fit into the gameplay mechanics between the different classes of surface combatants. The only choices seem to be just let them dish out damage from afar with no counter, or nerf them to the point that no one plays them anymore.

The other night I was playing ranked in my Zao and a below average carrier player decided to focus me. His attacks (though poorly executed) chipped away at my health and left me spotted the entire game, unable to do anything useful. Finally at 3/4 health, I just got sick of it, and turned into his torps and died. Quitting the game was the only counter play.

I can’t imagine any tweaks to AA or plane stats that will magically make playing against CVs anything other than a game of Russian roulette, in which you just hope they ignore you and go after another player.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TheFluff posted:

Multiple people have tried to explain this several times in the past but to just briefly restate the point again because I'm too stupid to give up: CV's aren't broken because they're over- or underpowered. As El2azer points out, there are CV's that are weak, while the Enterprise is the most overpowered ship in the game. CV's are broken as a mechanic because you cannot interact with them. The only interaction a surface ship gets to have with a CV before the game is already over is to decide how hard to try to avoid damage.

Like, let's try an analogy here. Imagine if there was a battleship with unlimited range so it could shoot you no matter where you were on the map, and it had magical shells that could arrive from any angle, although it would need a brief preparation time to change angle (think 20-30 seconds). This battleship could also spot you anywhere on the map, so it wouldn't have to rely on the team to spot for it. It would also not be detected when firing. The only limitation this battleship would have is that it has limited ammunition (or "mana" or whatever if you prefer) and shooting certain ships would expend ammunition faster than others. Ammunition would also be expended faster if shot at multiple ships clumped up together. You can try to angle against this battleship when it decides to spot and shoot you (and then risk exposing broadside to enemy surface ships because you'll be spotted by the battleship), but otherwise your only hope is that it runs out of ammunition or interest before you're dead. You can basically never shoot back because it'll never be spotted voluntarily and even if it's spotted it's probably going to be out of your range. The other team is guaranteed to have a similar battleship but they cannot really interact with each other.

What I just described is a Manfred von Richthofen. Other CV's are more like a Yoshino or something rather than a battleship, but same principle. It is awful to play against because you cannot meaningfully interact with it at all. You think a Smolensk is unfun to play against? You can blindfire it, or torp it, or run out of its range, or kill the ships that are spotting for it, or tank it until the smoke runs out, or whatever you want. It plays on the same playing field as you do. A CV does not. That is the core of the problem right there.

Exactly this. CVs exist in their own game, outside of the mechanics that dictate the interactions between surface ships. All of the reworks and tweaks have danced around this core problem.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I keep seeing a bunch of Yoshinos in ranked. They never seem to accomplish anything other than either showing broadside and getting deleted in the first few minutes, or just potatoing at the edge of the map until their team loses and they’re hunted down.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

wdarkk posted:

Its thing is that it has ridiculous deck armor that makes it immune to most cruiser HE except for weird poo poo like IFHE Yoshinos and Hindenburgs. It's also really accurate, although not Thunderer accurate.

Yeah Kremlins can just bow tank and rush the poo poo out of any cruiser because of their insane deck armor. They also have ridiculous torpedo protection.

I was playing in my Zao the other day trying to hold down a flank and two Kremlins came at me. I poured HE into them and did almost no damage. I finally had to go dark and switch to torps, and even two hits to each barely dented them.

They pretty much break the cruiser vs battleship dynamic.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I came back the game a few months ago after an absence of about a year. The Zao used to be go to tier 10 ship, but now with the changes to HE, I have to say Hindenburg is my new mainstay. I’m not getting those huge 5-7k HE salvos anymore in my Zao. Hindy with its superior rate of fire , HE pen and surivability is much more consistent for me.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

In the end WG is a shady Russian company making F2P games catering to niche markets in which they don’t have much competition. It’s really amazing that we haven’t gotten much more sleazy monetization much sooner. Look at World of Tanks and the poo poo like premium ammo.

But for me as a casual player, I guess I don’t really notice it much. All of the challenges, promotions and loot box stuff just passes over my head. I have most of the tech tree ships that I want, and I only play the 2-3 that I actually like and am good at. I’ll throw a little money at the game here and there to re-spec a captain or convert some free exp, but I’ve never really felt compelled to dive into WG’s whaling expeditions.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

I think this is the first time I can remember wargaming doing anything like this. They really must have been in hot water.

Yeah I was surprised that they’re offering refunds. But pretty much the entire player base was up in arms and their big streamers were turning against them.

I guess I can start playing again, until they finally release subs and ruin the game for good.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

That Works posted:

What do people think about the Moskva these days?

It’s a rough ship to play because it’s a huge soft target with bad maneuverability and bad concealment that can eat huge AP damage from almost any angle. It’s guns are really good, but they’ve been heavily power crept. IMO the Nevsky and Petro are much better ships in almost every way.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

CitizenKain posted:

Its such a mess of a rework that honestly I feels like each tree is not only handled by a different group, but by some people who really have an axe to grind. They don't like brawling BBs, but like sniping BBs, they hate cruisers, are indifferent on DDs and really love CVs.
Pretty much going to be BB's hanging back as far as possible, and the winner will go whatever side wins DD thunderdome. Which isn't super different then now to be honest, but the BB's will be farther back.

What are they doing to cruisers?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Some of the skills are mind-bogglingly stupid, like "how the gently caress would anyone who plays the game come up with this poo poo" stupid. Like a cruiser skill that gives you -10% main battery reload and +8% top speed if you have more spotted enemies in your base firing range than friendlies.

Which is a skill that's extremely difficult to get to pop in any normal situation and often isn't in any way in your own control, and costs 4 skill points.

Yeah I watched Flamu’s videos on the skills changes and I was laughing at that one. It’s the sort of skill that someone who has never played the game would dream up. I guess they’re trying to encourage cruisers to be more aggressive? But the caveats on it are ridiculous.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Preechr posted:

War gaming understood that cruiser AA was simply too powerful, and is encouraging you to spread out to help skylords return to their rightful place as cHoOsErS oF tHe SlAiN :eng101:

Just wait until they launch an entire line of paper Soviet carriers, and the top tiers have cruise missiles and jets.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Ranked is making me realize how much I really don’t like this game anymore. I was in my Atago and I had moved aggressively down an unprotected flank. I was firing at two BB’s and had multiple fires going on both and generally messing up the positioning of the whole enemy team. Then the big hand in the sky decided that I had enough fun and wiped me out of existence...

I had a lot of no carrier games last ranked season, I guess I was just lucky.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 29, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I had a bunch of coal saved up, so I bought a Yoshino. I can’t say that’s it’s objectively a great ship, and I would never want to take into it ranked, but in randoms it’s a lot of fun. It’s basically mega-Zao. You can pull off some really funny hijinks with the 20km torps, and burn down BB’s from insane ranges. But it maneuvers like a pregnant cow and eats AP pens from almost any angle.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 14, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

TSBX posted:

So I'm about halfway through the Hizen shipbuilding phases when I realize that you have to buy four stages with doubloons.

I'd be kinda pissed but, lol Wargaming.

Yeah I’m at the point that I don’t even pay attention to these sort of events. If I build up free XP or coal/steel I’ll pick up a ship, but I don’t stress grinding and spending for poo poo like the Hizen or Puerto Rico.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

From top to bottom this new skill rework just shows that WG are completely out of touch with the game. Yeah we did a rework that completely guts battleships' ability to brawl or close in with the enemy and instead the only way to play now is to sit at the A/J line and snipe.

What? What? What?

Yeah I’m already seeing the rework amplify all of the worst aspects of the game. All of the random battles I’ve played are just long lines of sniping battleships at the edges of the map and almost no close-in play at the caps. A lot of the new skills come-off like they were made by people who have never played the game.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

To me the issue is more that it needs to be played as a sniper, like every BB now. They effectively nerfed brawling battleships and reinforced edge-hugging sniping which is the least enjoyable style to play as or against.

Yeah I was actually having fun in ranked for once, then I went back to randoms and its really bad. As mainly a CA/BC player I was a struggling to even find anything to shoot at because 3/4 of the enemy team was hanging out at the edge of the map. Matches were ending with half of the losing team still alive and at almost full health. I feel like I need to run a range mod on my Yoshino (it already has a ridiculous 21km base range) just to be able to hit anything. Theses changes have amped up the worst aspects of the game to 11.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Woodchip posted:

navyfield blockfire is back baby!

It's real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6eqUeXfXmU

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 23, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Ranked in a nutshell.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

James Garfield posted:

If you're going to be shooting all game, the concealment penalty doesn't matter. You wouldn't take concealment either - before the skill rework every cruiser took concealment, but now there's a 4 point skill that buffs your damage for those ships to take instead.

It's a trap on ships that need concealment, but not on something like a Venezia.

Yeah I’m running this all-in DPM build on my Hindenburg and it really works. It has bad base concealment and I’m almost constantly shooting anyway, so it makes sense to give up concealment entirely for a big buff to rate of fire and damage.

https://youtu.be/W3tKSgTib5U

But the problem is that it’s not going to work on the majority of cruisers in the game. Also WG is apparently encouraging aggressive cruiser play, but then turning every BB into an edge of the map sniper. So from an overall game design perspective none of this makes sense.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 24, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

CitizenKain posted:

It’s almost impressive how well this patch sucked fun out of the game. I’m going to have to get a lot better at speed juking in DDs since battleships are so much more accurate.

Maybe the lack of cruisers will bring about a new golden era for DD’s?

But yeah it’s amazing how they’ve hosed with the balance again, and doubled down on all of the worst aspects of the game. It feels like WOWS is still in beta after all these years and they’re trying to figure out the basics of gameplay and how the ship classes interact.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’ve played a few dozen matches now with the new skills, and man WG really really wants sniping BB’s to dominate the game. Everything other type of gameplay is almost dead. I’m mostly a CA/BC player, and I can sort of make a few ships work, but it’s rough. Half the time I’m just struggling to find something to shoot.

All CL’s and American CA’s have really gotten the shaft. I’ve seen Worcester’s and Des Moines sailing way out on the flanks in open water in a desperate attempt to get in range of something.

All of the worst aspects of the game have been ramped up to 11 by everyone playing ridiculously conservative. It’s baffling because they gave cruisers huge incentives to ditch concealment and play aggressively, but then none of that jives with the rest of the meta. The obvious solution here would be to get rid of deadeye and give BB’s a similar aggressive/anti-concealment build. But it’s WG, and at best they’ll slightly nerf dead eye and call it a day.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

wdarkk posted:

Is Eye in the Sky good for Yoshino or not?

I tried it, but I don’t think that spotter planes are much help with Yoshino. It’s dispersion and shell velocity are too bad to hit much at extreme ranges.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

serious gaylord posted:

Trenlass was doing 15k SAP salvos in the tier 9 on other battleships but that was not guaranteed. Depends if you hit the superstructure or not.

The real losers are cruisers. Sap don't care about your angling.

A lot of the cruiser lines have gotten the shaft with the recent changes. I think most CL’s and US/IJN CA’s are pretty dead at this point. So I guess SAP spamming Pasta BB’s are just going to make it worse.

Though I’ve been having a lot of success running an anti-concealment Yoshino. It actually works in its own hilarious way, and no one expects the faster reload. In a recent match, an enemy Puerto Rico tried to rush me, and I kited away and just poured HE into it until it burned down.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

T9 is weird for ranked. I feel like most of the T9 tech tree ships suck, many of them I’d say are worse than their T8 counterparts other than having a heal. So I’m stuck playing my Alaska, which I’ve never been anything more than average at best in. It seems like everyone else has the same idea, because I just played a game that had three Alaska’s per team.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Velius posted:

Tier 9 is an odd duck because the tech tree cruisers are all barely better than the tier 8s equivalents, while a lot of the battleships are significantly better than the tier 8s. The real change is the destroyers, which have some really strong tech tree boats like Kitakaze, Yugumo, Udaloi, and Z-46, while even Ostergotland, Fletcher, and Chung Mu are solid.

Premium wise Alaska is overpowered, so always a good pick, while Azuma is terrible and the German super cruisers are probably okay at best. Then you have Georgia which is simply amazing, and JB. But really, play tier 9 dds if you want ranked to be fun.

Yeah unfortunately I’m primarily a cruiser player (because deep down I hate myself). I don’t have any T9 BB’s, I do have a Fletcher but I’m really out of practice when it comes to playing DD’s. So I guess I’ll stick it out with my Alaska, until I can get back to punishing people with endless HE spam from my anti-concealment Hindenburg.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol, this is exactly what I expected.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

toadee posted:

Flamu leaned into the RU ships are overpowered meme because it got him subs and a following. He was legitimately one of the best CCs in terms of both stats and gameplay advice in terms of his videos. Toxic or whatnot, legitimately only Gaishu (7 times straight clan battles champions, including two years where they got bored and created a second clan to be number 2 as well as number 1), is a CC with actual hands down better pedigree in terms of game sense and results.

Yeah I’ve always liked Flamu. Not sure where the toxic label is coming from. Did he have some sort of “heated gamer moment” that I missed?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Shivers posted:

Flamu's not a bad guy, he's just a product of this game and it's developer. He mostly nags on the game and the playerbase with heavy amounts of sarcasm, but I've never heard him be outright hostile to someone in the traditional 'toxic gamer' way.( slurs, etc)

Kinda glad I stopped playing this game at the end of last year. Every choice and change they made seems to make the game worse and I'm glad I'm no longer giving WG my money.

I think I’m done with the game too. I only came back late last year to have some fun before they put in subs and permanently ruin it. Every change just keeps making the game worse, and they can never get the core balance right before they just shove in some meta-upending gimmick to force people to spend more money. I never even got to respec all of my ships, so now I’d be stuck spending money if I go back and play my older ones. Worse, all of the ships that I did enjoy playing have gotten the shaft, so I’d have to join the crowd of sniping Slava’s and Thunders to remain competitive which just wouldn’t be fun for me.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 2, 2021

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

So haven’t played since subs were added. Have they ruined the game yet?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

They are currently pretty rare since they're still in testing, but yes, they absolutely suck rear end if the player is halfway decent. Just a non-stop barrage of homing torpedoes, surface ships have limited ASW options (and some ships have absolutely none) and they keep adding new and insanely dumb and broken premium ships. Like they're currently testing a Soviet submarine (of course), which has a 10 km hydro.

Also they obviously have no idea how to balance the things, because it's been over a year and they're still constantly doing sweeping class-wide changes all the time. It's going to be a shitshow that makes CVs look tame in comparison, probably.

Lol yeah that’s about what I expected from WG.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I came back after a about a year and half and have been playing fairly regularly again. I’m traveling for work and it’s one of the only modern games my laptop will run at decent settings.

There aren’t as many subs as I expected, and most of the sub players are terrible, but 1/10 games I get a really good sub player focus on me and there is almost nothing I can do. Other than that, it feels like everyone plays even more conservatively/long range than before. It makes randoms really boring, but I’ve had some fun in ranked due to the smaller maps. I’ve just embraced being a long range HE spam rear end in a top hat and use my Yoshino most of the time.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Hindenburg has been my go to in ranked for a while now. It lacks radar, but it can both dish out and take some huge beatings and pull off ridiculous kills in late game brawls.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lord Koth posted:

This devblog's just hilarious in how full of bullshit it is.

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/377

Seriously, just read this section.

Just read those last two sentences and think about it for a moment.

Lol, “we never really finished working on subs or their balance against other ship classes, but we’re tired of this poo poo and just going to dump them in the game.”

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Witcher 3 upgrade is gorgeous and has some great improvements to the combat, but the performance is pretty bad. I’m getting around 50 fps average at 4K/max/RT-off on an overclocked 3080ti. Turning on RT makes it a slide show. I’d recommend waiting for it to be patched.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I’ve got enough coal for a coal ship! I’m thinking Moskva or Yoshino?

Yoshino is a lot of fun, you can snipe people from across the map and put out some ridiculous damage numbers. It appeals to me as somehow who started out years ago with the IJN cruiser line and was mad when it got power crept into Oblivion,

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Yeah Moskva is the objectively better ship at actually supporting teams and actively winning matches. But I’ve never been able to make it work consistently well for me. I usually just eat huge pens and citadels from AP hits that I would shrug off in most other CAs. But once in awhile I’ll have an amazing game in it. I think it has a high skill floor that I’ve never quite reached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’ve been playing again fairly often because I’m traveling and it’s one of the games I can run on my laptop without a discrete GPU. I’m hardly ever in a match with subs now, but the biggest annoyance I have is that the main play style is even more long range and conservative than ever. Pushing forward at all, unless it’s the end of the match is almost always suicidal. I mainly play cruisers, so I spend most of the game taking potshots at 20km, waiting for something interesting to happen, or for my team to just kill themselves on one flank and the game to basically be over.