Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

hepcat posted:

I finished Umineko yesterday and, wow, I scarcely know where to begin.

A few comments before I really get into this: First, it took me 11 months to finish the entire game. Life stuff, raising a toddler, dealing with a GPDWin that would mysteriously stop playing audio for no reason, and simply feeling like I needed a break, all contributed to the extremely long play time. Therefore, it’s possible I’ve simply forgotten things (especially from Chapters 1-4) that would answer some of the many questions I have.

Also, since I just finished, I haven’t had a chance yet to check out much of the Umineko related content out there. I do plan to eventually dive into that stuff, but I’m very interested in what people in this thread have to say.

Massive spoilers begin here:

Regarding the ending, I have an issue with how it’s structured and I’m wondering if others felt the same way. The tea party is light-hearted and humorous and seems reasonable whether the player chooses “Magic” or “Trick” in response to Beato’s final question. However, if the player chooses “Trick” first (I chose “Magic”, thankfully), the ????? finale is quite discordant with what precedes it. Ange was almost certainly right about Amakusa’s scheming but admits she’s only 50/50 about Kawabata and shoots him anyway. Would an Ange capable of executing two people really wind up decades later as the anonymous author of a series of children’s books? Would she even be able to?

The Magic ending makes the ????? scenes seem more plausible. Here, Ange seems much more content and able to move on from the loss of her family. This Ange wisely takes the target off her back by ceding control of day to day operations of the Ushiromiya Group to Okanogi. Her lack of a criminal record and access to the Ushiromiya family’s wealth would make it easier to start a new, relatively anonymous life. Finally, an Ange that kept her Battler doll and treasured it seems much more likely to write a series of books about Sakutaro than the Ange who callously threw it away.

I think the solution here was either to have two ????? endings, or block access to Chapter 8 ????? unless the player chooses “Magic.”

Next, I may be opening a big can of worms here, but I honestly have to ask: Does the game ever really tell us who the culprit is? The closest it seems to get is the ending of Chapter 7, but I was immediately skeptical of Bernkastel’s “Rudolf and Kyrie did it” story. First of all, very little about Bernkastel’s story was stated in red. She makes one quick, vague statement that is quickly cut off by Ange. Second, Bern all but admits she’s was just loving with Lion and Ange out of revenge at being humiliated in a previous game. Third, when Bern reports reports back to Featherine, she (Featherine) doesn’t confirm anything either, she just states she wants to think about it for a while. I remain skeptical after finishing the game and rewatching the end of Chapter 7 via a You Tube Let’s Play. It’s definitely possible that I’m forgetting something here, but did Bern ever have access to the contents of the cat box? If not, then why is Bern’s depraved version of what happened better than any other possibility? It might be more plausible then some other theories, but who knows when all the evidence was destroyed?

This is getting long, so I’ll just raise one other issue for now. I did read the summary of the plot on Umineko’s Wikipedia page, Frankly, it left me even more confused. My interpretation of the Chapter 7 “play” was that the author was trying to keep it ambiguous about whether Shannon or Kanon was the culprit. Eventually it became clear (to me) that the story was referring to Shannon. But apparently, the point was that Shannon and Kanon are actually the same person. So “Sayo” was a person with at least 3 distinct personalities: Shannon, psycho-Beato [i[and[/i] Kanon? Was anyone else confused by this, or am I really just that stupid?

More later, including a final grade…

Regarding unlocking:
I am told you do not get access to ???? unless you choose 'Magic'.

Regarding the truth:
Ange's reaction to the Book of the Single Truth, plus the Magic answer section, suggests very heavily that Bern's answer is the actual one.

Regarding the culprit:
I suspect you're going to want to check out Confession of the Golden Witch, the manga section that lays it out even more explicitly. It's difficult to link the videos that got DMCA'ed off YouTube, but it's a full explanation with nothing hidden.
The short form is to remember the last red of episode 6: "Even if you do join us- There are 17 people." Thus, there are actually only ever sixteen people on the island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Umineko: Almost every plot twist in the entire series is casually mentioned by someone in episode 1.

Not quite a plot twist, but a certain scene in episode 1 regarding Battler trying to grope Shannon. Consider what would happen to the story if he succeeded, given she was fine with letting it happen.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

My opinion on Key stuff is kind of unusual in that literally the only Key thing I've ever enjoyed was Rewrite, and that's because it did stuff other than romance/drama. The other stuff is generally too melodramatic to the point of being downright emotionally manipulative (haven't read Little Busters though so don't know if that's an exception). Rewrite is undeniably deeply flawed, but it's a pretty wild ride and the first half has some good humor and the action isn't half-bad. The heroine routes having different authors actually ends up being kind of interesting in practice, even if some are kind of bizarre. It was obviously "over-ambitious" in some ways, but the end result is that it's more entertaining and interesting than most VNs (including other Key stuff IMO).

Little Busters was great. Part of the cool thing with it was how it handled the main concept. So every end you get to, your base stats increase, some of the dialogues change, etc. So by the end, the baseball game at the end of Common route is a lot more manageable, because your stats have been spiked pretty hard.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

No Wave posted:

Oh... I'd taken Teppei's arrival in Hinomizawa being a rare occurrence (according to Rika) to mean that Rina usually doesnt die so by default she ends up badger gaming Rena's dad (as Rina is the reason Teppei isnt in Hinomizawa).

i wonder what happens w/ Rina and divorce dad in those other timelines.

Well... As I recall, her death in 3 at the hands of Sonozaki Family is Teppei's big reason for running back to Hinamizawa. So that likely happens in a few of the other episodes as well.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

MegaZeroX posted:

Edit 3: So Gap keeps calling Beatrice "Riiche" and I have no idea what that means. Is that like a last name, or is it a Japanese word that means something?

I might address Spoiler 0 later, but Beatoriiche -> Beato|riiche -> Riiche.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Reminder that When I speak the truth, I will use red, and when I do, I do not bear the responsibility of establishing that by showing proof! It is simply a fact and the truth!

This is established in episode 2. Erika simply gets the benefit of doing that because she's locking down the possibilities such that there is no other option, and then Bern's accepting that and elevating it to red. As Lambda said: "...In this court, if anyone other than witches is going to speak the red truth, they'll have to construct an appropriate proof for it. Erika has been following this procedure, right...?"

Witches are not subject to that restriction.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 27, 2019

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Ah, I see what you're getting at. Carry on.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

The main reason, I think, is that the first season cut out so much important material they had to make an anime-only arc for second season, Yakusamashi.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Ryuga Death posted:

Oh my god.

So I'm completely finished with ZTD. The game just sort of stops? I found a bunch of post game text files that describe everyone's fate, sort of, but man, it seemed like ZTD was either rushed or ran out of money or both.

Here's the list. There's a lot more than you'd really ever notice.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Higurashi's adaptation was fine, but it had some big glaring issues. Quite a bit of characterization changed (one person specifically called out Mion on that), they cut tons of details - enough that they had to make a new arc in Kai to cover some of that - and it's got some animation issues. And the first season was trying to be a horror anime.

It still manages to scrape itself out of that and be good, though. Kai, in particular, turned out quite well.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

King Cohort posted:

In episode 2 or possibly 3, during some of the scenes where he and Shannon are meeting out in the pavilion. I read them back when episode 3 was current, so it's been a while, to say the least. I would find exact lines if I had time, but crawling through hours of video isn't easy, and the full script isn't online in a complete document to quickly search.

e: Also, I will give credit to the PS3 sprites for not being as horrendous and angular as the pachinko sprites. Jesus Christ.

According to early episode 2, he's not really fat or even chubby, but it's possible for him to trend that way.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I did know that was the premise, but not because the game mentioned it, because it doesn't. I guess that's kind of why I'm surprised it's so slow - if you're front-loading the cool premise so much it's delivered before the game has even started, it just feels odd to then string the reader along for multiple hours of what feels right now like pointless minutiae (yes, I get it, they might actually be clues to the future but it sure doesn't engage me in the moment), when I'm just wondering when the murder mystery is going to start.

There was at least one Agatha Christie book that did the same (I think it was Endless Night, or possibly Death on the Nile? Took nearly half the book for death to occur), so I can definitely understand how you feel. That said, sometimes mysteries do need a bit of time to set up.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Finally, I wish there was a list of all the red statements somewhere. I really don't dare to google anything about this for risk of spoilers.

Here's a list that was created around the time of the LP, adapted for your current location. (End of ep 4 spoilers, obviously)

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

But Umineko has now proven that even the viewpoint of the detective is fraudulent, so there is no framework other than the red text in which problems with any theory can appear.

I would suggest you look very carefully at how that scene is presented before saying that.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Are you suggesting that because technically the scene is described by Battler, who is not the detective, that despite Erika's presence this is not a scene in which the detective proclamation holds? That would be pretty lame if that's the case, because there are lots of scenes where the narrator isn't clearly stated and the writing vacillates wildly between third and first person, and omniscient narration. (I wonder to what extent this is a translation artifact.)

Well, there's a few parts here: Yes, it's described by Battler, and yes, the detective proclamation is still valid, but it does not apply to him. That said, if you want a bigger hint: Look carefully at where Shannon is compared to Erika, and what interactions she has with everyone else. Yes, it's a pretty mean trick.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I think there's a bit of a difference between pursuing what at least for the moment seems like a normal and relatively healthy romance with boy (George) and expecting that to work out on one hand, and on the other expecting a similar result from murdering someone's entire family.

You might want to consider "incapable of love" + George's desires to have children. The end of episode 2 is probably worth checking out again, as noted.

Cyouni fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 14, 2020

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I think it's interesting to have a different view on things depending on whether you did Before or After first.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

MegaZeroX posted:

Please :siren:don't read:siren: the below Admiral H. Curtiss. The below is for the other commenters.

I'm not really sure why people poke readers on their acceptance of magic in chapter 2. They will realize what they are supposed to do in chapter 3, and it kind of feels like the reader is meant to accept it at face value on chapter 2. Chapter 3 is where the reader can start thinking and reevaluate what they think of the earlier chapters.

The reader was definitely not supposed to accept it at face value. The fact the people kept doing it is why Ryukishi threw out the original episode 3 and changed it to what you know now.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Does anyone have a copy of the Umineko red text by chapter, I didn't write any down for chapter 2 and lost my early notes on 3. It'll be extremely helpful as I'm sure I've already solved everything to be solved by the time chapter 3 is concluded and can just ctrl through the rest.

I got you. Not sure exactly where you are on 3, but this should handle the early bit.

Rockman Reserve posted:

Along the lines of this post, can anyone post the riddle here (preferably in both English and Japanese?). I feel like it’s a red herring of some sort, maybe but regardless I’m terrified about googling even innocuous things from this series from getting burned in the past, let alone something like that.

I understand the epitaph should be in the files, but here's a transcript.

懐かしき、故郷を貫く鮎の川。
黄金郷を目指す者よ、これを下りて鍵を探せ。

川を下れば、やがて里あり。
その里にて二人が口にし岸を探れ。
そこに黄金郷への鍵が眠る。

鍵を手にせし者は、以下に従いて黄金郷へ旅立つべし。

第一の晩に、鍵の選びし六人を生贄に捧げよ。
第二の晩に、残されし者は寄り添う二人を引き裂け。
第三の晩に、残されし者は誉れ高き我が名を讃えよ。
第四の晩に、頭をえぐりて殺せ。
第五の晩に、胸をえぐりて殺せ。
第六の晩に、腹をえぐりて殺せ。
第七の晩に、膝をえぐりて殺せ。
第八の晩に、足をえぐりて殺せ。
第九の晩に、魔女は蘇り、誰も生き残れはしない。
第十の晩に、旅は終わり、黄金の郷に至るだろう。

魔女は賢者を讃え、四つの宝を授けるだろう。
一つは、黄金郷の全ての黄金。
一つは、全ての死者の魂を蘇らせ。
一つは、失った愛すらも蘇らせる。
一つは、魔女を永遠に眠りにつかせよう。

安らかに眠れ、我が最愛の魔女ベアトリーチェ。

There's the Japanese version.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

Questions:
-Does the epitaph riddle ever get solved in the text? I feel like I've probably asked that before so my apologies. I've tried to take to heart the idea that it's not the riddle itself but its existence and difficulty that actually matters, but it's still itching in my brain.

Yes. Specifically, you have until episode 7 to figure things out, both regarding that and in general.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

e: I have no idea how it would ever possibly work but reading Umineko has me really wanting some kind of adversarial 2p tabletop RPG along the same lines

Not an RPG, but Tragedy Looper would work for a similar experience.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Colorspray posted:

Re:Umineko: Being a plebian, I researched knox's commandments of mystery novels and was surprised by the fifth:

5. No Chinaman must figure in the story.

Resisting any big lebowski quotes, I was able to deduct the following:

If any novel inferred "a shifty eyed foreigner" they were trash, even for the time they were written, and were KNOX worth reading.

I actually love the full text of it.

Ronald Knox's Ten Commandments for Detective Fiction posted:

V. No Chinaman must figure in the story. Why this should be so I do not know, unless we can find a reason for it in our western habit of assuming that the Celestial is over - equipped in the matter of brains, and under - equipped in the matter of morals. I only offer it as a fact of observation that, if you are turning over the pages of a book and come across some mention of 'the slit - like eyes of Chin Loo', you had best put it down at once; it is bad. The only exception which occurs to my mind - there are probably others - is Lord Ernest Hamilton's Four Tragedies of Memworth.

Basically it was a reaction to how mystery novels of the time liked to put in a mysterious Chinese man who probably sported a fu manchu as the culprit.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

Two random thoughts about the witch's epitaph:

-Does it have something to do with Kamogawa or another river in Kyoto?

-What was the inscription over Kuwadora or whatever that was in the picture with Kumasawa's son in Episode 4? It was something about a one a trillion chance or something, right?

I admit that my wife got annoyed with me scrawling down thoughts and theories and stuff and she looked up the epitaph, and told me something about in the Japanese text, the character 郷 should have been 京, which has opened up a few more avenues for thinking while still leaving me pretty lost. Kind of assuming it means in the second line referring to the Golden Land and not the first line, but even that I'm not sure of at all.

She's likely talking about how Golden Land uses 郷 (land, country) instead of 京 (capital) for "Kyou". It's used in two different ways in the epitaph. The first is its more consistent use, 黄金郷, Ougonkyou, or "Golden Land". The second is the other use, only used during the tenth twilight, where it's 黄金の郷, Ougon no Sato, the "Home of the Gold". What that means is up to you.

(Umi 5) As a reminder so you don't go banging your head against random walls forever, there are two points at which it is solved and more heavily discussed, during ep 3 and ep 5.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

I'm quoting this so I can find it later when I'm further in my reread of 1-4 to collect my thoughts.

Note that this has some early 7 as well mixed in.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I'd personally wait on Golden Nocturne as well, but that's just because I really love the setting used in ep 7 for it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Stefan Prodan posted:

Beyond that I don't really know, I don't know how to begin to think about the structure of like what these games are, if they are stories being told to each other after the fact, or like "this is what we could do to them" revenge fantasies, or what. cause like I said, I don't know how to reconcile the completely different ending states of them, so they can't just be alternative explanations for like one set of events I don't think.

To get you started a bit, I believe episodes 4 and 6 should have offered some thoughts on that particular topic? These two scenes are the ones I'm thinking of, specifically.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Rockman Reserve posted:

This is not an overstatement at all, that episode was probably the most hosed up thing I've seen on a screen in ages. Personally the previous episode had been pretty gruesome but it had an air of dark comedy amid all the desperation. That one, though....oof.

I've heard on the broadcast versions that entire scene was censored so you could barely see the screen at any given point and if I ever re-watch it or recommend it to someone I'm going to try to track that one down, because it's that gross.

Yeah...that scene was extremely rough. Censoring would really have been helpful for that scene.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm curious to see the Trick ending but my heart tell's me it will be bleak as all hell, and I think the game trained me to just leave it alone. I assume it's just Amakusa blowing Ange's brains out after the incident with Sumedara

Don't worry, it's very good, though obviously a non-canon ending.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Continuing the umineko ending talk: So many people in here disrespecting both Sayo and Ikuko, I swear. 1) Ikuko is her own character. To erase her sucks. 2) If Ikuko = Sayo, there's no clear way to explain the discrepancy between Ikuko and Lion. We know how Sayo would choose to present without outside pressure. 3) To accept this would basically poo poo on everything Umineko was trying to say with regards to gender, and that really sucks.

The other thing to add re: this for me is that if Yasu could have just left Rokkenjima to become a rich-rear end mystery author, I'm pretty sure she loving would have. No Rokkenjima incident, nothing, just Yasu flipping the Ushiromiyas the bird and leaving.

The 7th Guest posted:

Umineko 2

e: I'm sure these hot takes are too spicy but I promise i am playing through the whole thing and giving it the benefit of the doubt

e: e: Also I do enjoy the back and forth between Beatrice and Battler, it's just these other layers of anime bullshit that distract from my enjoyment of the slasher-fest.

Have you considered without love it cannot be seen

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

I just looked at the Grand and a half I would have to drop to buy all of the Umineko Manga and am now in agreement.

Speaking as someone who just finished buying episode 8 and had 7 for years, the worst part is actually the shelf space. It's currently taking up an entire shelf, but stored in a way where I can't really access half of them easily. At full capacity it takes up two full shelves.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Steely Glint posted:

In case people don't wanna google for it, here's Knox's justification for the 5th rule... as sourced from a detective literature analysis book by J. K. Van Dover (2010), since I couldn't find the original publication. Unfortunately Van Dover's citation isn't included in the Google Books snippet :(

"I see no reason in the nature of things why a Chinaman should spoil a detective story. But as a matter of fact, if you are turning over the pages of an unknown romance in a bookstore, and come across some mention of the narrow, slit-like eyes of Chin Loo, avoid that story; it is bad."

I've personally always used this as my reference. It references a later publication (1939), but that's generally good enough.

"V. No Chinaman must figure in the story. Why this should be so I do not know, unless we can find a reason for it in our western habit of assuming that the Celestial is over - equipped in the matter of brains, and under - equipped in the matter of morals. I only offer it as a fact of observation that, if you are turning over the pages of a book and come across some mention of 'the slit - like eyes of Chin Loo', you had best put it down at once; it is bad. The only exception which occurs to my mind - there are probably others - is Lord Ernest Hamilton's Four Tragedies of Memworth."

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

fez_machine posted:

It was!

Umineko Episode 8 Spoilers:
Didn't even touch on Kannon/Shannon/Beatrice being the same person, although I don't know how you could miss it.

I have seen a not-insignificant number of people miss it, usually because their brain fries at a certain point and they stop trying to work that out.

fez_machine posted:

Still think the author brushes over how people would react to incestuous rape (the servants/friends of Kinzo in particular here) or Battler being kind of chill escaping with Beatrice after his closest relatives had been killed (either by accidental explosion or because his mother and father had killed them). One of the reasons I love the first episodes is that people generally seem completely broken up by the deaths as they happen.

One thing to note here is that Kumasaba and Nanjo are hilariously vulnerable (like a lot of people) to "have some money to stop thinking about it". Genji less so, but he also refuses to take any direct action in general.

Regarding the Battler/Beatrice scene, that scene is entirely a fantasy variation, with the real one being similar in result but a lot less happy.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

Is this actually the case, though? I don't think it's ever made clear either way whether that scene is exactly what happened.

The manga version of the scene has a lot less fantasy trappings. Doing a direct comparison, a lot more of the scene is exactly the same than what I remembered off the top of my head, but the main thing that changes it, in my view, is the section that comes before it, where it starts with Beato waking up in the VIP room.

Gaius Marius posted:

I didn't realize anyone actually read my posts. I apologize for being nearly blackout drunk while posting most of them

I read them as well, fun read.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Procrastine posted:

Umineko 5 (early, also some Higurashi spoilers I guess?)

Ryu07 turns to the camera and says "I'm sorry about the solution to Higurashi, okay? I promise there's no science-magic here"

You take that back, Purupurupikopuyo is the best

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Gato posted:

whatever, maybe it works better in Japanese.

No other comments I wish to make at this time, but that's straight from the Japanese, to the point where it's the name of their image song.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Speaking of Umineko, going back and watching some of the earlier chapters sure casts some of it in a different light, doesn't it? (Umineko full endgame spoilers, kind of, mostly, don't read it) Kanon showing his "sword" to Jessica and Beatrice belittling it as not being able to cut anything and him as having revealed himself as a "subhuman", oof. :(

Episode 2 is really not subtle about it.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

There is theoretically a 1:1 correspondence between Higurashi's question and answer episodes, but there is no such correspondence for Umineko and either way you're supposed to play them in order. Questions 1-4, then Answers 5-8. For some reason they seem to have split Higurashi on Steam into 8 separate titles (under the Hou sub-title) and Umineko into two titles (1-4 and 5-8).

That's...not quite true. There's definitely a correspondence between Umineko and Chiru episodes. (Literally everything) Starting from the most obvious in 4/8 being Ange and Ange's resolution, 2 and 6 is pretty heavy on the theming in relation to Shannon/Kanon/Beatrice. 1 and 5 carries a pretty strong link in both detective introduction and trick, and 3 and 7 cover a lot more in connection to the epitaph and alternate culprits. This post suggests another set of connections, as well.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

I believe the epitaph was first solved in ep 3 by Japanese players (or discussion boards, at least), and I've seen it solved in ep 3 by an English player. (And one just after ep 6.)

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

theblackw0lf posted:

I’m really loving Majikoi. Not only is it hilarious, it also has incredible camaraderie between the protagonist and his friends. Most of the gang have known each other for years, and you really get that feeling in how they interact and their chemistry.

Also for a game known for its comedy, it can be very moving at times. But in ways that don’t fall into the usual tropes of the genre. And I’m so happy to play a game where the romance routes aren’t about the protagonist “saving” the heroine. Many of the women feel fulfilled without needing to be in a relationship, and the ones who do are encouraged to be more independent. It has a much healthier view of romantic relationships than say Grisaia had. (At least in the ones I’ve played so far).

If you play the all steam version though be warned it removes some of the adult humor.

Wait since when is Majikoi on steam

That said I should actually finish S since it got fully translated a few years back. And maybe look back at other bits of A or whatnot past the one route that was translated at the time.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

theblackw0lf posted:

How was the writing for S compared to the original?

And the original was released last year.

I liked what I saw of it. Off the top of my head, I cleared all the new routes, and a few of the old After Stories, whereupon the project I was following died before those and True Route got translated.

New characters are good, and having movies definitely improves the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Procrastine posted:

Umineko post-episode 6, and very early in episode 7 To comment on episode 7 somewhat instead of just rambling about the plausibility of a theory I didn't even come up with myself, is "motive is unnecessary in mysteries" actually a common sentiment in mystery fans? I can't tell if this is a weird strawman or if there are actually enough people saying this to warrant calling it out.

Well, yes and no. There is a not-insignificant portion of readers who treat mysteries as a physical logic puzzle, and while they might not say "motive is unnecessary in mysteries", often when solving or engaging with them (and Umineko in particular) motive is frequently cast to the side as a second thought, or sometimes not mentioned at all.

What that means in regards to Umineko is up to you to determine.