Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Sogol posted:

Templar with a Tank bar and Heal bar.

What's up, imperial templar buddy? You can do pretty much whatever you want until vet dungeons, but I recommend picking up a dps skill, otherwise leveling will be painful. I enjoy two-handers: rally is a stamina emergency heal, wrecking blow/executioner is about the best single-target there is, and brawler is aoe and a damage shield that scales with targets hit. Melee dps is also great practice for tanking later, as you'll learn what to block and what to interrupt, etc. And you still have access to remembrance (which is actually better with weapon damage than with spell damage), and breath of life (not as good in a stamina build, but it's my only magicka dump, and three casts is still 12k healing).

Note: two-hander is not great before the morphs, so if you want to use it, stick to your current build and just replace something with carve on one of your bars. Skills and skill trees both level up, even if the wrong weapon is used. Or you can make a special bar just for quest turn-ins. Or both! I usually start doing this in Cadwell's Silver and by the third zone, I have every single skill leveled to the morph (important because it's not clear what skills are actually helpful until you see both morphs).

monkeyboydc posted:

So here's a question. Can you respec into other classes in this game, or are you always going to be a sorcerer, night blade, etc. if that's what you started out as? I can't turn my sorcerer into a dragon knight, can I?

You can't change classes, but any race/class combination can perform any role adequately in end-game. Sometimes you'll run into a try-hard who will complain about your sub-optimal whatever, but that person is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Absolutely. And even a nightblade with a destro staff is pretty great. Funnel health does the same damage as force shock, but is cheaper and you heal everyone around you for 25% of the damage done every two seconds. It's like two free stacks of healing springs at all times.

Uhh, trap sprung, I guess.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
It was probably my fifth gold key before I learned not to kill those spider adds. I just assumed the 90% damage reduction was a bug and enjoyed free weaving practice.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Sounds like you're at about the right pace, the end of The Rift is level 43. The thing to avoid is being six levels over (you get no xp from combat), but even three over is fine.

You can certainly wait until the Pact quests are done before starting the Harborage, but you'll be doing those Harborage quests scaled to veteran rank 1. It could be a rude awakening depending on where you are with your character.

The group dungeons are a decent source of experience for a group of similarly-leveled people. They each have a one-time quest that give you a skill point as well as an achievement (which generates undaunted experience, leveling up that skill tree). They're easier at lower levels, so you can do them now if you want, or you can wait until they're assigned in a normal pledge (level 45+) and you'll get additional undaunted experience for doing the bronze/silver key. The keys are repeatable for undaunted experience, so you might find yourself doing all the group dungeons more than you care to.

Lastly, at least pop in to Cyrodiil and get the "how to pvp" quest. You'll get a skill point and rapid maneuver (movement speed buff that works outside of Cyrodiil as well). Also, you'll get an xp bonus and other buffs if your home campaign is doing well. That is, until the next update drops.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Undaunted xp comes from daily pledge keys (bronze = 5, silver = 10, gold = 20) or (all?) achievements in the Dungeons/General, Group Dungeons, and Veteran Dungeons pages. 10 point achievements are 10 undaunted xp (although this being ESO, 50s give you 25, and it only goes up to level 9 and just stops :shrug:). The skills aren't great other than inner fire, but the passives are worth the effort.

Werewolf is a separate bar, thankfully. In 2.0, they made it not terrible, so it's at least worth trying for fun. I have it on all my characters because it's 15% stamina regen with no penalty.

Weapon crit works on everything stamina, spell crit works on everything magicka. For ultimates, it picks whichever does more damage (weapon or spell) and uses the associated crit.

Also, I'd like a guild invite if there's room for furry nazis. @ennuid

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
There's so much good stuff you'll have a hard time fitting it on two bars, which I think is a good problem to have.

If you're feeling squishy (and for me, melee nb is the squishiest in end-game), try Momentum -> Rally for emergency heals, Mark Target -> Reaper's Mark for the debuff or unreliable emergency heals, and maybe Veiled Strike -> Surprise Attack to keep the shadow armor/spell resist passive going (I still prefer Uppercut -> Wrecking Blow for the stun and synergy with Reverse Slice -> Executioner).

If you just want more damage, Death Stroke -> Soul Harvest for 20% more damage single-target (and the assassination passives) as well as Grim Focus -> Relentless Focus for 8% more damage overall and stamina regen. And don't forget to use Ambush before you pop your ultimates, it'll make them 20% more powerful.

Eventually, you'll get access to Expert Hunter -> Evil Hunter and Dawnbreaker -> Flawless Dawnbreaker on Fighter's Guild as well as the passives. Also Meteor -> Shooting Star in Mage's Guild opens up a fun possibility: hit Ambush, fire a +20% Shooting Star at a bunch of trash (you get 12 ultimate per target), switch bars to Soul Harvest (get 7 ultimate per kill), burn them down with Brawler, and your ultimate is basically back and ready to fire again.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You get a new harborage quest every 5 levels, so if you've done two, you won't get another one until level 15. If you get to 15 and still don't see the prophet, try teleporting to the harborage and walking straight back to the nearest town. That triggers him more reliability than teleporting to the town directly.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

xxEightxx posted:

Light armor and trophies

To add to the other post: you go 5 light for the spell crit passive, then one medium and one heavy for the undaunted passive and extra armor. Unless you're healing, you'll have three spell cost reduction enchants on your jewelry, so you won't notice not having 7 light.

If you can't use a trophy (blue thing from a monster like whirring dynamo), it means you already have it, so go ahead and sell it. If it's a green thing from a public dungeon, it's just cosmetic so keep it or destroy it at your preference.

My stam sorc dps runs bound armaments for the extra stamina (30k!). Between rally, brawler and critical surge, you can keep medium armor and still have tank-like toughness. Throw inner fire on there and you can run tankless on vet dungeons no problem (switch from blue to purple food for this, though, inner fire is expensive).

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
When a PvP player hits VR1, they get kicked out of Blackwater Blade and have to join a proper campaign. They immediately get wrecked by VR14 players, and from this they conclude that there is some tremendous advantage in being VR14 (note: the actual advantage is being in a PvP guild). Since for some reason PvP players also hate PvE, you get a lot of complaining about how vet ranks are ruining the sanctity of the game.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Cuckoo posted:

I'm not at the veteran ranks yet but I've heard PvErs gripe that the entire VR leveling system was a boring painful slog and because it involved other factions it ~*breaks their immersion*~

I've heard the slog comment numerous times (from this thread even!), but it doesn't make sense to me after 1.2. If you liked 1-50, then you'll like Cadwell's Silver and Gold just as well. New content, and you don't have to make a new character (good for the mai waifu immersion crowd, no?).

Berke Negri posted:

I fired up Skyrim for the first time in a long time last night and I think I spent the first hour catching myself trying to roll dodge.

I salute you, I don't know if I could handle going back to first person.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 17, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
No, that's just how I played it. I thought we were traveling down memory lane.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
I like to play RPGs by grinding until they're easy, then spending that ease on conveniences like playing in first person, on the couch, with a console controller. ESO broke me of that, but I was resistant and didn't switch to third person until the final boss of Shada's Tear.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

markgreyam posted:

enjoying playing a two-hander wielding sorcerer.

This guy gets it.

For me, the combat and quests feel the same, but I have noticed a huge improvement in consistency. At launch, it seemed like monsters had their hitpoints, damage, and experience assigned at random. You'd kill two daedroths at once in one quest, then get wrecked by a baneling in the next. Now, the difficulty is nice and smooth, so if you're having fun with the combat now, you'll still be enjoying it at VR14.

As long as you do the main quests for each area (the ones that end with "now go to this town and solve their problem"), you can and should skip things. Being a completionist now will quickly get you six levels ahead of what you're fighting, then you'll stop getting experience from the monsters you kill.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 19, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

this little bastard posted:

Is there PS4 DC guild? If so can someone toss me an invite, my psn is MYSWAGYOLO.

Does anybody have a good templar build? I've been doing a 2h Stam templar (the jabs mania build pretty much) but would like to switch to a magicka based build that can heal if needed though I'm mostly focused on solo lvling. I'm currently level 48 and I'm just looking for a good all around build.

If you want to stay stamina 2h, try this:

low-level bar (2h): rally + critical rush + expert hunter + brawler + breath of life + (u) solar prison/solar disturbance

At level 48, you should be able to kill most trash by using rally ahead of time, then critical rush, light attack, and brawler again just to be sure. To heal yourself, keep rally up constantly (also +20% weapon damage) and hit rally again when you need healing. To heal everyone, spam breath of life, it's your only magicka dump. Brawler will put up a shield based on how many things you hit, so you'll do really well in situations with a lot of trash like group dungeons. Often if there is enough trash around, you don't even need to block or heal when surrounded (although you might want to light weave for sustain). Self-found gear is perfectly fine for this build, but do put stamina reduction enchants on your jewelry (they drop constantly and you don't need to level enchanting to do this) and pick up the warrior thief mundus.

Eventually, you can try this, which I still use in endgame:

bar 1 single (2h): rally + jabs + wrecking blow + executioner + breath of life + (u) flawless dawnbreaker
bar 2 aoe typical (2h): evil hunter/rally + toppling charge + evil hunter/repentance + brawler + evil hunter/breath of life + (u) flawless dawnbreaker
bar 2 aoe max healing (2h): rally + toppling charge + repentance + brawler + breath of life + (u) remembrance

I view my role as the healer's healer. Keep an eye on the healer's bar, and when things go south, spam breath of life. Also, be sure to rez people (templars are speedy) so the real healer can keep healing.

Jabs and toppling charge are there so you get the aedric spear passives. Put evil hunter somewhere on typical bar 2 (replace breath of life if you're selfish, replace rally if you're confident, and replace repentance if you can't figure out what else to do). There's no evil hunter on bar 1, so you'll want to hit jabs periodically to keep the weapon crit buff going. But your main damage is wrecking blow (until your weapon is almost all the way behind you) then light attack + wrecking blow again. If you get the timing right, you'll be doing the light attack and wrecking blow at the same time. When something gets under 20-25% health, switch to light attack + executioner weaving. Flawless dawnbreaker is there for the 8% damage, but go ahead and use it because hey free damage.

Gear is hunding's 5/ashen grip 3 if you're crafting (shadow walker's 3 used to be cheap, but it's not anymore, so pact's rings for weapon crit and boring amulet are fine), eventually migrating towards hunding's 5/ravager's 5. Switch to shadow mundus somewhere in the 40-50% crit range, depending on gear. Stay with the thief mundus and try to get divines on everything.

e: Fixed for mundus changes.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Dec 16, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm pretty sure I can convince one of my friends to go healer, so it should work out. Thanks for all the answers.

Also any magicka dps can make a pretty good healer just by swapping in a resto staff. It's not minmaxed, but you'll never feel locked into healing.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

I hate yankees posted:

Cadwell's Gold

Most people switch to grinding by the time Cadwell's Gold rolls around. Which is a shame, because Cadwell's Gold is where I get all my money.

I think he's only there for a few minutes every 30.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 26, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

That's messed up. I guess stick your helmet in the bank before you refine anything then, now? Maybe its a bug with one of the addons you're both using.

The items in your bank also appear in your deconstruction tab. And since monster pieces are bind on pickup, you can't hide them in a guild bank either.

Scyantific posted:

re-grinding the helm

Down for this.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
They're the only items that give you a 1-set bonus, and the 2-set bonuses are generally pretty cool. Engine guardian summons a little sphere dude to give you 2200 health, magicka, or stamina every second with about a 33% uptime, roughly equivalent to drinking an extra purple beverage.

e: what he said
e2: In contrast, Warlock (which people still pay good money for somehow) takes 5 pieces to give you half the magicka and no health or stamina.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 4, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
I feel like I'm being set up. But just in case, I have two v14 redguard sorcs, and here's what they're up to:

bar 1 single (2h): rally + evil hunter + wrecking blow + executioner + bound armaments + (u) flawless dawnbreaker
bar 2 aoe (2h): critical surge + critical rush + evil hunter + brawler + bound armaments + (u) flawless dawnbreaker/shooting star/power overload/suppression field

early: 5 hunding's/3 ashen, all medium, divines, precise, max stamina/stamina cost reduction with warrior mundus
final: 5 hunding's/5 ravagers/master 2h, 5 medium/2 heavy, divines, precise, max stamina/stamina cost reduction with thief mundus

Keep critical surge and rally up at all times. Wrecking blows will frequently give you 10k heals. Brawler will give you a 2400 point damage shield for every monster you hit, with an extra 3k heals from critical surge. If you still need emergency heals, use rally (generally full heals every 10 seconds) or critical rush (it always crits so 5k heals guaranteed and spammable).

Congratulations, you are now indestructible. When the patch drops, the internal cooldown on surge is going from 0.25s to 0.10s, so it'll get even better.

Fun fact, if you have 1000 ultimate saved up, dumping all your ultimate into power overload light attacks is about 700k damage.

e: Comedy option, bar 2 tank (2h): rally + critical surge + inner fire + brawler + bound armaments + (u) whatever, now you are medium armor tank. It works on any of the gold keys where you're allowed to do damage as a tank (not banished cells or crypt of hearts). I duo'ed v12 vet elden hollow with this.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 6, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
If someone says "you can't do x" in this game, it means "you can't do x and be #1 on the leaderboard".

My nord (+1% dps from racials) can dps all the endgame content no problem, just like my imperial (+11%) and redguards (+5%). Of the three, frankly, I prefer the redguards for the sustain.

e: Also, you can ignore all of this build crap until the veteran ranks, and only start thinking about it then if you're having trouble.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 6, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
If a skill costs magicka, its damage scales as (spell damage * 10.46 + max magicka). If a skill costs stamina, its damage scales as (weapon damage * 10.46 + max stamina).

Now before you have sets that boost weapon or spell damage, armor enchants, or a large number of attribute points, you can safely pick whatever skills you want from magicka or stamina. But eventually, if you're dps, you'll need to gravitate towards one or the other, otherwise you'll be at about half your potential.

If you like fireballs and feel pressured not to use them, ignore the pressure and keep going. Reflective light is a solid choice for the single-target weave on a magicka dps templar, and it synergizes with your dunmer fire passive. Jesus beam is magic damage, so you'll lose a little there, but you'll still have no trouble getting to 14k dps.

If you want something more stamina-based, I posted my 2h build a few pages back. That's what I'd do, but that doesn't mean anything.

The key is to find what's fun first, then you can optimize it like crazy when you get to vr14.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
And one more thing. If anybody says they won't group with you on a gold key because you're a particular race/class/level combination, it's because they are terrible.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I run out of stamina quickly

Three stamina cost reduction glyphs on your jewelry will solve that. If you go all-in on stamina, your heals will consist of 4k breath of life (three casts with purple food) and 7k remembrance ticks. Handy, but not a main healer.

JackBadass posted:

Eeeeehhhh... Race sure, but class and level is a valid thing to scrutinize. If you're not up to par with the rest of the group, then that's a valid concern for the group.

Every race/class combination can be great in endgame, provided that the player has optimized the build for what they have. Level is fair game for trials/VDSA/VCOA and if you want to actually gain xp. But in gold keys, I've had more far more success than failure with v1 people at v12 scale.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Gold key presupposes everyone is veteran rank, and I think you mean "role" instead of class.

You can't tell if someone's going to do a bad job filling their role just from race, class, and level. But you can tell if someone's insecure about their character if they're whining about group composition before you've even started.

Also 4-dps groups are the most fun.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Manmower posted:

Thank you for your response, I was in fact being serious as I am currently a VR4 Redguard Sorc. My real concern was PVP and endgame PVE viability of the endgame melee Sorc. I don't have roughly half of those skills (evil hunter, executioner, bound armaments, flawless dawbreaker), so will work on getting those and see how it works out for me. How do you allocate your stat points for these builds?

I can't speak for PvP, but it works extremely well for endgame PvE. Attribute points are dependent on gear and comfort level. Go all stamina while leveling, and when you get to VR14 target 18k health minimum (21k recommended). With blue health/stamina food and undaunted 9, I have 9k mana, 21k health, and 32k stamina (with 7 health and 55 stamina attribute points).

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Too bad they're adding the saddlebag toggle for free. They could've had people pay not to have horse armor.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
I did! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706540&userid=116110#post447960376

I've got a two two-hander build for every class if anybody wants one. They all trade a little dps for toughness (which is why I don't care so much about group composition), but they're still good for 16k dps on blood spawn.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Haerc posted:

Oh, one more question, how the hell do I use a healing staff to heal people? Is that a skill I have to learn or something?

Restoration staff is its own skill tree, just like destruction staff, and really every magicka user should level it up. You can use restoration heavy attacks to restore magicka when you're high enough level for the passives, which should buy you some time for now. Eventually your resource pool will be large enough that you don't have to do this. I'll send you some purple food to speed that along.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Here's sorc: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706540&userid=116110#post448621080

This is my favorite of the four.

e: btw, weaving works for you console folks, too, check out the templar link for a rough description.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 9, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

poor life choice posted:

Now do a vampire dunmer dragonknight!

Spend these early levels figuring out what skills are fun and don't worry about builds until veteran ranks. I enjoyed 2h almost immediately, so I spent level 17 zooming around one-shotting things with critical rush and brawler, and as a result, my DK is all stamina. You might prefer magicka melee (it goes nicely with the dunmer passives), in which case DK has some great options. The desto/desto laceration DK looks good as a place to start (swap sea of flames with inner light, and every DK build should have talons and green dragon blood).

Lastly, bows get better with snipe, but that's a long time to wait.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

poor life choice posted:

Magical melee, meaning staves and light armor close up due to DK skill range, or a hybrid build? I ask to get a better idea of how the game plays, not just asking for someone to do all the work for me.

You got it, a magicka staves and light armor build, just up close because that's where burning embers needs you to be. It's more challenging than playing ranged, so pick up one medium and one heavy piece for some added toughness (and to level them).

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Trip report from 2-man normal dsa. Made it all the way to the last boss and realized I hadn't leveled up one handed and shield on my EP character. Got him down to 20% pretty reliably, but couldn't finish the job without access to tanking. Guess we'll be doing that on AD next weekend.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Leveling up, two-hander is slightly more spell power at base. But for most people at endgame (4 martial knowledge, 2 adroitness, 2 cyrodiil's light, 2 monster), dual wield gives you more spell power because you can add 2 torug's pact.

Rally for a magicka user is more like a 5k heal than a full heal, and it takes away valuable blocking stamina. Personally, I'd rather use the space to put green dragon blood on both bars (convenience, +12% healing received when active), add spiky armor (pretend you're medium armor), or add the shield (+30% healing done) like you said.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 10, 2015

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Welcome to the 2h stamina dps club! Here's my dk:

bar 1 single (2h): rally+evil hunter+wrecking blow+executioner+green dragon blood (u) flawless dawnbreaker
bar 2 aoe (2h): rally+critical rush+burning talons+brawler+green dragon blood (u) flawless dawnbreaker/standard of might/shooting star/either dragon leap

If you're solo, swap out talons for burning breath. Or if you're feeling tough, leave talons on and swap out bar 2's green dragon blood.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

RoboJoe posted:

One hand and Shield Dragon Knight

For leveling, I used two-hander (I am predictable). You'll level considerably faster, but also it's good practice for tanking. Two-hander puts you at melee range, so you'll learn what to block, what to interrupt, and what to flat-out avoid.

For endgame, I have a real v14 dk tank, but I haven't tanked vcoa yet so take this with a huge grain of salt:

bar 1 main (s/b): absorb magic+invasion/extended chains+pierce armor+heroic slash+green dragon blood (u) magma shell
bar 2 buffs (s/b): absorb magic+hardened armor+burning talons+igneous shield+bone surge (u) standard of might/ferocious leap/sturdy war horn

Of all the roles, tanking is the one that's easiest to get a passing grade. You show up in heavy armor, you block most of the time, and you hit the big dude with puncture when he starts running away from you. That's the basics, and at least in the other veteran dungeons, 27k health and 12k stamina is more than enough to do that (although I use 30k/15k). That leaves you with 17k+ magicka to do your new job: crank out as many buffs as you can while tanking, which is the purpose of bar 2. Normally my builds only have a couple flex spots, but here I'd say all of bar 2 is flexible. Go to town.

Gear is 5 hist bark/5 footmen/2 blood spawn, 5 heavy/1 medium/1 light for the undaunted passives. Some day, I'll switch from hist bark to seducer's, but for now, I really like the extra toughness.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Also, just 2-manned normal DSA. It was glorious.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Sogol posted:

I believe the primary reason people wear that armor mix is to take advantage of the Undaunted Passive, Mettle.

That's right, specifically you get 2% more health, magicka, and stamina for each armor type you're wearing at undaunted rank 9. Most everyone should use one of each type of armor through v1 for leveling purposes. Once there, I'd say: light users should keep 5/1/1 forever, medium users should go 7 medium until ravager's (5/2), and heavy users should go 7 heavy until the undaunted passives kick in (5/1/1 again).

DARPA posted:

inventory

The easiest thing to do is to make multiple characters as storage, using the bank to exchange items with them. Then, you can get a horse and upgrade its carrying capacity by one (and thus your inventory space) for 250g once per day. Or, if you're rich, you can buy carrying capacity upgrades, 10 for 1000 crowns. These perform the same function as the upgrade you buy with gold, so not only is it expensive, in the long run it's a waste.

As for provisioning, you can buy a lot of the mats at the grocer. So you can safely destroy those (or put them in the guild bank with roomba), although I would save whatever you need for your highest level food or beverage so you can make them for provisioning experience.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Spending gold to hold all the provisioning mats is going to take a long time to pay dividends at retail price. And with guild traders, it makes even less sense.

I get that having a dragon hoard of garbage in your bank is satisfying (240/240 represent), but it's not rational behavior.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

cougar cub posted:

Do burning abilities stack? For example using fiery breath and burning embers on the same enemy? So hard to tell without damage ticks floating off enemies!

Using a skill like firey breath does immediate damage, then applies a debuff that does damage ticks for a given duration. Using the same skill multiple times applies the immediate damage multiple times, but only extends the duration of the debuff to its maximum value. Using a different skill applies a different debuff, and different debuffs stack with no problem.

To get the most out of your debuffs: keep them up at all times, reapplying only when they're about to roll off.

Where you might be getting confused is there's an entirely separate "on fire" debuff that gets randomly applied when you deal fire damage. By itself, it does little damage (force pulse excepted), but it does look a lot like burning breath's animation, so good luck using visual cues to reapply your dots.

Your best bet is to use something like Foundry Tactical Combat on PC (which is how I learned all this stuff). If you're on a console, then you're going to have to count force pulses or wrecking blows or what have you and reapply your dots in a fixed rotation. At least be glad you have numbers in your skill descriptions now.

Here's a bonus for console folks: you can cast healing springs twice for double healing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

doomfunk posted:

With Siphoning Strikes, am I better off light attack or heavy attack weaving? Instincts are telling me light but there's a lot of visual reinforcement of heavy attack weaving that it makes me question.

I'm confused, so I'm going to answer these unrelated questions and hope the answers are helpful:

1) When should I use Siphoning Strikes?

The only time I've ever found siphoning strikes (specifically siphoning attacks) helpful as a dps was holding block and spamming steel tornado. You don't need it for brawler in a 2h build, and you don't need it for sap essence in a magicka build. Get your sustain from magicka/stamina cost reduction glyphs. Three V10-V14 glyphs give you 600 base cost reduction, so you won't have to deal with the damage penalty.

Note: this will need to be re-evaluated in the new patch, siphoning strikes is losing its damage penalty and weapon/spell damage glyphs are getting beefed up.

2) With Funnel Health, am I better off light attack or heavy attack weaving?

You should be weaving with medium attacks on an inferno staff, i.e. an attack that is just long enough to show two fireballs instead of one. If you're doing it right, your added dps from "heavy attacks" will be about 75% of your dps from funnel itself.

Note: this will need to be re-evaluated in the new patch, for example tri-focus will finally require a fully charged heavy attack like its description says.

3) With Swallow Soul, am I better off light attack or heavy attack weaving?

You're dead to me.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 12, 2015

• Locked thread