Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

I hope they re-work some of the pathing AI so gaming :rimshot: the road system won't be necessary.

But.. that's what made SC4 fun. Don't take away my spergy traffic controller dreams from me. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Noyemi K posted:

It was SC2k.

The original SimCity did it too, the random trees in would give a land value boost to zones built near them. I seem to recall it was one of the only ways to easily get the highest class residential houses. Park spamming might have worked too, but I don't really remember anymore.

SimCity also had a fun quirk where you could bulldoze individual tiles off the 9x9 zone to dezone that square, which a buddy and I exploited to build single home paradises way outside the main city. The richest of the rich lived there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't leave it like that, you gotta put some traffic on it to show up how bad the AI fucks it up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chewbot posted:

Ooh, that is interesting. I wonder what makes them use the inner circle. It's plausible that it finds a shorter path through the middle of the roundabout than going around the outside and prioritizes that. It's big enough that some traffic will find shorter routes along the outside while others are shorter through the middle. I bet it holds up well in high density traffic!

I haven't studied it exhaustively but traffic in the game seems to prefer a "straightest route" path if there isn't a large empty road to override that rule. I've watched many trucks zig-zag through neighborhoods just because it was nearer to an "as the crow flies" route than some other path I had built for them.

Could be what's going on there, if going through the central ring allows for less deviation off that straight line that might be why they choose it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

This is basically the right way to go about it when two highways meet, right?

Yep, nailed it.

Every approach has two options to get to the same destination? No one ever worries about missing an exit!

LOL at the left exit, giant gently caress you to drivers. This one's different, just because!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google Butt posted:

For someone who's never done any 3d modeling, where should I start if I just want to mess around?

"Blender noob to pro" was once the default suggestion but I'm not sure it's been updated in a long time. A second choice would be the blender tutorial hub:

http://www.blender.org/support/tutorials/

Without knowing your background it could take anywhere from a few hours to a few weeks before you get something into the game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

I'd hesitate recommending Blender to a newbie. I've no problem using it because I've used various 3d programs over the years and it's all the same, just a matter of finding out what the hell it's called in this particular package and how to get to it. For someone new to 3d modelling? Uuuuuuh.

And what are the alternatives? Laying down a month's rent on one of 3DS or Maya?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243580/

:v:

Otherwise yes, Blender is free, but it'll be like learning to drive but all the labels in the car and the maps are printed out by Google auto translate from some factory in Shenzen.

Huh, shows how well I keep up on the pulse of things. I had no idea they'd made a Steam release.

To be fair I stopped looking for options a long time ago, once I got over Blender's learning hump it's proven sufficient for just about everything I need.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

I wish I could be a fly on the wall in the EA office when they found out about this game's release.

Probably met with a shrug and they moved on to the next agenda item, deciding how many millions the next Sims DLC will make or if this year's Madden will reach a billion in sales.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Apparently the game managed to break 500,000 copies sold in its first week:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/maxis-is-dead-but-this-game-is-better-than-simcity

Talk about a windfall for the studio, their next project should be pretty ambitious.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Enigma89 posted:

It's called Hearts of Iron 4 and it will be amazing.

Not really, Colossal Order made Cities: Skylines. Paradox is the publisher.

I meant CO's next project should be a pretty big one.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I bet satellite TV reception is just loving awesome for those people.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alakaiser posted:

Oh hey! One of my mods got put on TotallyMoo's mod collection thing. Truly, I have made it with my code template and three lines of original code.

(okay, there's extra code because of display differences in aspect ratio. Who the hell still uses a 4:3 monitor?!)

I hope you got a license agreement in there too because MODDERS RIGHTS. People can't just distribute your mod, that's gonna erode your adfly profits. :qq:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alakaiser posted:

This is literally the first code I've ever published - I'm not a coder by trade and am slowly building up knowledge based on what I learned from ZZT as a kid and some Javascript I picked up a few years ago. I just googled adfly - is that seriously a thing? :cripes:

(who am I kidding of course it's a thing)

I'm being facetious, because a lot of very good games in recent years have had colossal slapfights between modders. Hopefully this game avoids most of that because the Workshop should short circuit most of the normal whining, but who knows, maybe some sperg will show up who invents a completely new way to ruin everything they touch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm bummed he didn't zoom out so we could see gaben with a city on his face.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Noyemi K posted:

Sounds like minecraft-tier awful. Why the gently caress would anyone not want to have their mods easily accessible so that it spreads like wildfire? :confused:

No one knows exactly because they're all insane and unable to articulate themselves coherently.

They talk about copyright a lot though so it either has to do with maintaining recognition or making money off it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, modeling is fun and chill. Texturing is instant aneurysm.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

simosimo posted:

Blender.

This poo poo is driving me nuts! I've gotten as far as wrapping a basic cube but moving the little UV net thing on the right does nothing, the video I was watching the dude was clicking on each face, and drawing a little area on the right and it updated each time

I don't see anything in the screenshot to suggest why adjusting faces in the right pane would not update the left pane.. it looks set up properly to me for the face selected on the left to be showing a brick texture. All I can imagine is that floundering through the tutorial had you turn on an unwanted option somewhere that's messing it up. Sometimes the only way to recover is to start a new project and try again. Unless you somehow remembered every key you pressed and can work your way backwards.

quote:

I also have a rogue little verticie for some reason. I tried to delete it and the whole thing just showed a blank grid ARGH.

From the right pane you mean? Don't do that, it'll delete the U/V map from any face that uses that vertex and you'll get the blank grid.

quote:

Also the front of the building has my texture on but doesnt show a texture in the UV editor, I dont even know. Wading against the waves at every turn with 3D modellin'. :(

One hidden trait of blender is that every single face on a mesh can have its own texture. This is 100% never conveyed to the user, but if you're in face select mode on the left pane and your image viewer on the right changes images every time you click a different face that's what's going on.

To unify everything, when in edit mode on the left pane tap 'a' once to clear selection, then again to select everything. Then in the right pane select your texture.jpg from the dropdown box. That will assign the texture to all selected faces.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Looks about right, nice big field, 5 parking spots so everyone has to cram their minivans onto the streets of nearby subdivisions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Duck and burger posted:

Did you go to Michigan?

Are there any, like 2x1, 2x2, 3x2 parks out there? All the stock parks are loving enormous, and I need to fill in all those little corner spaces and junk. There's a simple 1x1 park, but I can't be plopping those eeeverywhere.

It takes like 5 minutes to make a custom park with the in-game tools. You specify how big the plot is, and plop whatever you want onto the space. You adjust the effectiveness of the park by setting a few numbers.

It's really cool how easy it is, and a wider array of park sizes the first change I made to the game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tin Hat posted:

How does the game know if there are enough workers then? Is it just based off of population numbers?

More or less, one of the data views gives the actual employment figures and the number changes constantly.

I think it uses the traffic system to generate a percentage chance that a job gets filled, because zones with bad transportation off in the distance tend to have issues staying staffed. But it's definitely not SC2013 style where an agent has to drive from a house to a job for that job to get filled.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really hate how subways work in this game. The UI for the routes is bad, the attach points for the train stations are bad, and needing a 2x2 plot to place a stop is bad too. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Because I assume I am too terrible to do that. Modding tools scare me.

No one is too terrible to make parks. It's fun and easy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

onionradish posted:

It is pretty annoying that most of the default parks don't fit into the standard grid, though.

And generally look like poop.

I'm fairly sure this was an intentional implementation to function as a gateway drug for getting people into modding.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's normal for the modding circle of life. People who decide the only way to fix the game is to impose their definition of realism.

Mod packs are next!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

In my city it actually seems like a problem of overeducation more than anything else. I just keep bulldozing the abandoned ones and it seems like more high-tech industry is moving in.

Unfortunately you can't fix the education problem because schools don't have zones of influence. Students will commute across entire cities to get an education which means you always have a glut of educated workers.

It eventually works out okay, educated workers will fill lower tier jobs if there's nothing else available, but it does generate a ton of irritating icons all over the map because they don't fill those jobs instantly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

-Dethstryk- posted:

Okay, so I've been putting schools down according to their "reach" along the roads that it shows, because I assumed residents weren't getting educated if they didn't have one in range. That's wrong, then?

Yeah, it's pretty easy to test.. build some residential zones off in the middle of nowhere and keep an eye on the education level of those buildings. Eventually they'll get educated no matter what you do.

Even if you only build one elementary school and it spends the whole time at 300/300 students it seems like the whole city will eventually become educated.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Does that also mean that fire dept, hospitals, and police stations cover the whole city too?

Yes, but they are slowed down by traffic which means if you don't have a fire department close enough the building will burn down before help arrives. Same goes for hospitals.

Police is just completely broken.. a single install of the upgraded police department can keep an entire city low crime.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HORMELCHILI posted:

I can't wait to see how ridiculous this gets.

I can't wait until people start hitting texture limits on their video card or some obscure Unity blowup because there's too many assets to load.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just spam bus stops near residential and commercial zones to get the smiley faces. Making an actual effective bus system seems impossible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fossil fuel plants just seem to randomly stop receiving shipments, probably a bug because bulldozing them and rebuilding always fixes it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a shame the game can't handle any image formats with more than 256 shades of grey. It really limits how much you can get out of a single image.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nielsm posted:

Really?
I thought I read/heard something official recommending using 16 bit per channel (65536 shades of gray) PNG files for height maps.

Maybe I'm saving wrong then because I always get banding in everything I import even if 16 bit is selected.

But to me, 16 bits usually means per pixel, which includes all three color channels. But I could that could be wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the kid really loves trains that much, set him up with OpenTTD.

I'm not sure a 3 year old would be able to figure it out but on the other hand kids are goddamn sponges when it comes to figuring out video games.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would love it if the game could recognize a popular downtown area that gets lots of traffic. Occasionally it would develop commercial lots into parking garages, which then hoovers up cars and produces a ton of pedestrians that visit nearby businesses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would guess they'd do it with some kind of tagging system. Either with a restricted list of tags that an asset can advertise it qualifies for, or some kind of magical system where you can choose your own tags when starting a new game.

Or maybe they'll do it based on the map's biome type, like tropical maps can only have brightly colored buildings or whatever. That would kind of suck because it would mean you couldn't use a single generic map for all building types.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

It gets worse the more water you have. Doing island maps with flowing rivers was bad. I tried doing deltas but uuugh. You pretty much hit reset then go for a walk or something. In the end I said gently caress it to 'realistic' heights and just overengineered every shoreline.

Big elevation changes are murder too. It starts out looking okay but then oscillations develop and before long it's just endless tsunamis rolling down your peaceful valley.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hammy posted:

I enjoy designing the crappy neighborhoods more than nice ones for some reason.

Now you just need Will Smith and Martin Lawrence in a Hummer to smash through it all.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sometimes they'll do u-turns in the middle of a chunk of road. Just bounce right over the median like it's no big deal.

Probably a bug of some sort because they only do it for a short time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The map editor in this game is hideously bad when you're working with islands, you have to guess which bit's gonna be above sea level when you're raising because the water doesn't flow off the land for like ten seconds.

There's apparently a mod out there that helps with setting up water in the map editor but heck if I can find it now.

Saw it mentioned in a post somewhere, thought "hey I should check that out later" and then never did.