Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I love seeing all the pictures in this thread of people reinventing the wheel when it comes to highways. Overpasses and frontage roads exist for a reason!

It's probably a bit hard to see but adjacent to each side of the highway is a matching, normal 1-way road. These two lane roads have been handling traffic just fine, especially when mixed with U-turn lanes made out of on-ramps.

There's really no big traffic issues anywhere. Some of the on-ramps and U-turns are used pretty heavily, but there's none of the usual "backed up for miles" gridlock I normally get. Outside of the occasional "every single industrial building gets a shipment at once" issue that crops up now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Is it me or are ore/oil deposits just too shallow? They last for maybe a year with the appropriate zoned industry on top of them, and then next thing you know you turn around and all your mining buildings and pumpjacks are turned into smelters and refineries which now have to import stuff, doubling your truckloads.

At least they make bank while they're doing that, but walk away from your city for 15 minutes and money's not an problem.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fintilgin posted:

No! Don't do it! Don't jum...

Oh. Um. Okay. Carry on, then.

(They jump back up too! :haw: )

Reminds me of SC4 where a bus terminal placed between an elevated highway and a road would become a magical bus elevator.

Anyways, time to load up the Star Minstrel Mars map because goddamn does it look cool. Everything else looks either flat, or janky as gently caress.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Business Offices? Office zoning counts as industrial too.

Wait, really? Offices is Heavy Industrial? I thought it was just Fancy Heavy Commercial.

Also, Star Minstrel, I'm really loving the Mars map. I look forward to any other maps you make in the future.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Looks like you missed a spot with the smoothing Star Minstrel:

Still loving the map but that's gonna drive me up the wall.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

This city was started yesterday when I found a tutorial someone linked for making good looking parallel curving roads in the previous thread. That, along with the game being a massive traffic jam simulator convinced me to try frontage roads along a curved highway.

Still running strong, though now that I've got the no pillars/elevated train track over road mod I need to go back and clean up el-rail so that it travels mostly above roads.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Maybe replace that onramp with a two-lane one-way road?

They're all turning left (onto the circle) so they'd just go up in one line anyways.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

So I though I was a real clever dick by building a railway down the middle of my elevated intracity highway, there is just enough space to fit it snugly between the pillars.

Unfortunately, the sheer volume of trains trying to use it has effectively separated one side of my city from the other via an endless stream of high-speed murdertrains blocking all of the level crossings 100% of the time. As the highway runs through the entire city, this means that one side is cut off from the other.

This would be merely annoying if not for the fact that my cemeteries are all in a nice neat square on one side of the tracks. Quite central for future expansion plans, but completely inaccessible to the majority of the population as of this moment. I have about five hundred corpses piled up and people are starting to move out.

So it looks like that whole plan to take pressure off the highway by adding a high capacity rail line to it, actually just made the traffic problems about 1000 times worse. Because people keep getting off one side of the highway then parking in front of the level crossing to cross to the other side of the city, which they never do because the trains never stop.

Back to the drawing board.

Have you tried elevating the train tracks? You know so that people can drive underneath them?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

How do natural resources work? Do I have to build farming industrial zones on my fertile land for it to work?

Farms/Forestry: they will work wherever you place them. However if you place them on fertile land they will produce more, and therefore will import less, making you more money. Farms and forestry resources are infinite, and the industry is pollution free (though rather heavy on uneducated workers).

Ore/Oil: will make a bunch of oil production buildings to suck up the resources within a small radius of the building. At which point they will make you bank, especially if you have nearby zones also zoned for oil/mining for them to take the spoils for refinement. Unfortunately resource deposits are incredibly shallow in this game so after about a year all your mines and pumpjacks will tear themselves down and refineries, smelters and machine shops will appear instead. These are still rather profitable and have lots of slots for educated workers, but are heavily polluting and they then have to import everything (which effectively doubles the amount of industrial traffic you deal with).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Macaluso posted:

i made a cheat city where I built up a bunch of poo poo and then proceeded to flood the entire thing with dams.

There were tweets, as the water was engulfing the city, about how beautiful the city is and how great of a mayor I am. You have some low standards folks.

I wish there were actual disasters though. Have them be a thing you can turn on and off, but there needs to be like tornados and poo poo that can destroy parts of the city

This. This so very hard. The only "disasters" in this game are either comedies of error (flooding your town with a dam), industrial traffic, and weirdness with garbage truck/hearse pathing. I have only come close to losing a city once, and that was by turning off my medical clinic WHILE turning off garbage WHILE pumping tainted water into the system as I was going for two unique building unlocks at once (below 20 health in city, garbage pileup). The mixture of corpses and tainted water with no medical intervention actually nearly sent me to a death spiral and I had to take bailout money.

Fire stations, medical clinics and police stations are too strong for day-to-day life and make your city incredibly happy. Outside of maybe upgraded fire stations (normal ones seem unable to make industrial zones stop being red fire hazards) there seem no reason to make the upgraded versions of any of those three outside of achievements. Mixed with the lack of discrete information in a lot of areas the game seems a bit flimsy in some way simulation wise.

Still loving it, and I'm probably going to lose several more full days to it, it's just the simulation feels a bit shallow in some ways. Thankfully there's the Steam Workshop to distract me from that.

On the plus side, the fact that fires are just a thing that happens and the game doesn't pause completely while you plonk firetrucks in the area is something I don't miss at all from classic sim city games.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hadlock posted:

What are the public transit options like? I really wanted to play around with street cars and subways, sort of like what Budapest and Vienna have.

Actually I just want to completely recreate Budapest :allears:

You've got buses, subways, normal rail, boats and planes. Sadly no street cars (and if they were they'd do horrible things to this game's simplistic traffic).

While a bit lacking in options, the tools they give you are incredibly powerful, complete with the ability to make bus and train routes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Prepare to witness something amazing. I give you...

THE GARBAGE TRUCK CONGA LINE!

It goes all the way up the hill. Yes, that's my primary industrial zone, and yet there's so many garbage trucks the industry trucks are a vast minority of the vehicles on the road.

What caused it? Well I'm not sure but I have my ideas.

I tried moving the highschool but turns out that wasn't the issue. It was the fact that my roundabout was just that overloaded. Serves me right for having it serve as pretty much the only way in and out of the neighborhood. Roundabouts are fun and good and efficient, but they're not that efficient. The whole actually building inside of it was also probably a mistake. This pretty much signaled the death knell of my city.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

If anyone was interested in an archipelago map I spent a bit banging my head against the editor to create something reasonably okay-ish: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410379210

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

By the way, is it a bug or a feature that like every second tweet I've had for the last 45 years has been 'HOLY poo poo WHY ARE YOU CUTTING DOWN ALL THE TREES??' from my forestry?

You periodically get people both bitching about and lauding any specialized industries you have. The pros are generally all about "Woo! Money! City's growing!" The cons are generally intentionally dumb. Forestry freaks out about trees being cut down despite forestry growing the trees they chop. Farming, as you mentioned, whines about providing the nation with food being passe. Oil actively thinks you're pumping oil into the earth. The only reasonable complaint is Mining/Ore which just bitches about the pollution (which ore/general/ore does produce by the truckload).

I really wish ore/oil were infinite because when they're actually in production mode they're highly lucrative, a good chunk of the oil and ore taken out of the ground will then be taken to be produced which increases your city's profits. However the resources are gone within a year due to Cim world having the shallowest ore/oil deposits ever.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

RainbowCake posted:

So I've run into a problem.

I have incredibly high commercial demand, but all the commercial zones I've put down are dying due to not enough educated workers. Uneducated fucks are taking up all the jobs, which then kills the stores. There's plenty of industry--which is also dying, I keep building more and more residential, but no matter what I try to do the commercial dies and the demand keeps rising.

Probably part of the issue is that I am attempting to build a Tiny Town, with all 1x1 lots, but that means tiny houses and slow population growth. Also the 1x1 parks in the workshop are ridiculously OP, so the commercial and industry buildings keep upgrading.

What the hell do I do? In my regular big city I've always run into the opposite problem with too many overeducated workers, so I'm at a loss :saddowns:

Houses grow from "Remedial" to "highly educated" over time, they start low (not sure if it's the lowest or not but freshly built residential zones always show up red for me and turn blue over a few years) so if you've got a problem with not enough educated Cims its because you need to let them marinate near a school. Also, 1x1 houses only? In my experience those are horrid and I've only seen level 5 high density homes have more than a single family in a 1x1 house.

Anyways if you need a stopgap just for your Cims to work, you could always make farming or forestry industry districts. They're heavy on uneducated labor and don't upgrade so you don't suddenly have piles of businesses that need smarter people to work.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

So, I thought creating a roundabout at my cities entrance would be a great idea... now it's almost deadlocked

Yeah, I learned the hard way that while roundabouts are better/faster and higher capacity than a normal intersection, they're not truly good for actually heavy duty traffic.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 22, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Domattee posted:

AFAIK Passenger trains do not carry your citizens, only tourists.

Nope passenger trains carry your dudes too. It's basically an above-ground metro.

Also, goddamn, I think I've found my ideal solution for highway overpasses/underpasses. At least outside of using frontage roads. I thought I was rather clever thinking up a design like this:

No stoplights, high speeds, only relying on the Cims supernatural yield abilities. I was all proud of myself for making these dual highway overpasses. Then I realized I was making squashed roundabouts. :v: Still, its an incredibly efficient setup since it acts as a roundabout with a bypass.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The Mantis posted:

This is pretty boss

Glad you like it. I've been modifying my other overpasses to use the trick. But it's basically having a somewhat squashed (and sometimes ugly) roundabout on top of or below a highway. As long as the two strips making the squash-about intersect with only a single road it creates a yield-based Y-intersection with no lights. Have a few more pictures:

The highway overpass at the bottom was the worst in my entire city. Just a constant gridlock since EVERYONE wanted to get off at the diamond that was here before. The entire suburb of Aspen Cove wasn't getting any services due to the mess everyone was making, not just the industry of Aspen Grove. It was backed all the way up to the previous overpass. It was also the worst to remake due to the hilly terrain and tight corners and it took me like half an hour to get a setup that not only fit but worked (I hosed up a few times and made setups that had lights).

Smokey Hills was the first suburb I made, right across the river of my original starting area. Traffic went from "normal" to "hellish gridlock" the moment I placed a university down in Smokey Hills. The overpass behind it serving Smithy Forge is also a bit janky due to terrain.

Not a squash-about, but the port is running rather efficiently. The fact that the port comes with its own road is annoying if understandable (asking a player to place a road perfectly for a building that also has to be over water would be a nightmare), but you can work with it. Just make sure the path in and out to it is one-way so that trucks never have to cross each other and truck traffic will make its way in and out with no fuss at all.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Basic traffic flow/zoning question:

In the above image, will the city on the left, where residential areas are in the center of the city, and industry is on the outskirts, have more or less traffic flow problems than the city on the right, where residencies are on the outer ring and industry is in the center?

The basic problem I'm having right now is that I have industry on one side of town, and I'm getting more and more traffic from all the people driving from the other side of town, through downtown, and into the rest of the traffic mix trying to get into the major industrial area. I can't decide if it's better to start zoning residential around the rest of the major industrial zone (so everybody's still driving to the same place, but they're coming at it from different directions), or if I should make a second industrial zone on the other side of town where some of that worker traffic is coming from (so all the workers are driving in opposite directions).

e: basically I have zoning like this, with a second industrial district just built because I was thinking that the second option might work but I dunno:

and traffic likewise is going thusly:

In a simplified situation (i.e. spherical cows, or in this case spherical semi trucks) the situation on the left is usually better. The industry is the real source of your worst traffic and giving them the easiest access to any ingress/egress points on the outside of your city would generally mean reduced traffic issues. The situation on the right is only better if the options to export (ports, railroads) are in the center, but earlier in development your big export/import arteries are your roads and highways.

In short, place your industry to give it the best access to outside connections. The left setup is a lot closer to what a reasonable setup would look like since roads and highways are some of the easiest export options The right one would only be better if you ended up in a situation where the only export options were in the center of your city, like the map was some sort of giant crater. The reality is your setup will generally end up being a completely random patchwork which is based entirely on where/how you build your roads.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

zedprime posted:

6 lane roads, even with the decorations, look like horrible concrete rivers of oppression. 4 lane roads are the stylish choice of thoroughfare and that extra lane in each direction isn't very useful except in the most loaded of intersections.

6 lane one ways are some mutant aberration used solely for weird trident things.

e. so I guess the answer to the original question is if you need something bigger than a 2 lane one way you are either over thinking things and should have a ramp or highway instead, or over thinking things and thus need a crazy trident monstrosity using a 6 lane

I mostly agree, however I find that past the early game I start using 6-lanes more and more. True the traffic pathing is bad enough that a third lane really doesn't help as everyone will generally get in the ONE lane they need. True the 4-lanes definitely look prettier. However when that third lane at an intersection can help it does tremendously. Also, people can't turn left (or right if you're British) on 4-lane roads due to the central divider. So they have to drive around in odd loops sometimes to get somewhere. I tend to use the prettier 4-lane roads for residential zones, and use the 6 lane roads for industrial ones at the start and then start switching over to 6 lanes as I get money and traffic starts being dumb.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Chocobo posted:

I need some advice with my road building fundamentals, just to make sure I'm not building on bad ideas:

Is there anything wrong with using pure highways for a highway intersection? I only ask because pretty much every three-way intersection in the workshop (as well as the default pre-made one) use ramps for the connectors. Is it just a matter of saving construction costs and space or will it somehow cause problems?

Also, merging two highways into a six lane road makes sense in my head as the ideal way to merge my highway into a city center. How right or wrong is this?

As mentioned, there's nothing wrong with using highways for on-ramps. You're just wasting space and money and I really cannot see any advantage to it, but it should work just fine.

As for the second idea, that's actually one of the best things you can do in the game for traffic management. I use a pair of highway connected like that to make overpasses/underpasses. It creates a squashed roundabout that takes up less space than a normal roundabout. Just don't connect any other roads to the intersection or you'll spawn traffic lights, the bane of Cim traffic. Connect any other roads to the 6-lane down a ways.

Oh, did you make the map? I picked it up from the thread, started playing it and then kinda tuned everything out. It's an amazing map. Especially the river/waterfall that's giving me 1.5K MW. :getin:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Yeah, glad people are enjoying it. Which waterfall is it, the one on the main island or the smaller one? Getting them set up right is really hellish though, it can take a long time for water to settle into its proper flow without sloshing about. Its actually my second go at the map since the first time I just worked directly off a height map and the scale was completely hosed up. Designing and playing it has given me lots of ideas on what to do on future maps.

Highways and railroads are going to have to be elevated, for one.

I used the one that's on the same starting island/landmass as the starting road connection. It actually settled pretty damned fast, though it fluctuated between 1k-1.2k for a good while before finally settling closer to 1K. Took me a good while to find the spot though, as you mentioned it was hard to find a good spot. I've sense put my water treatment plants behind it to get 1.5K when I'm using maybe a third of that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Mwahahah thats the whole point. Prevent large grids from forming due to landscape irregularity.

I also enjoy that lake of solid poop you have there.

Your map revents large grids, eh?

In all seriousness I've done a lot of expanding since I took those pictures and I do try to avoid the grid stuff, at least outside of heavy industrial zones (or at least non-logging industrial zones because it just looks right to have winding dirt roads in those) just because it looks more interesting to have wiggly lines, or at least a curved grid.

I'd open the game to take some newer pictures, but I'm afraid the next 5 hours of my life would disappear if I did. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Count Roland posted:

It doesn't seem like there's much reason to put out fires.

For important buildings like my coal powerplant, yeah I made sure that went out. But since fires don't spread and the plot will just rebuild after, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Actually the plots don't auto-rebuild if they burn all the way down, at least not without a mod to do it. The burnt down plots have to be bulldozed and cause a small hit of unhappiness in their immediate area.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

wilderthanmild posted:

Unless I've missed it, I think they act very much like normal traffic. I kinda wish they'd find a way to make them at least ignore some of the rules.

I honestly wouldn't mind it one bit if emergency services noclipped if they had their lights on.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Can your people actually make it there in a reasonable amount of time? I'm not 100% sure if that actually matters but I feel like better public transportation, and traffic flow in general, helps with employment.

Ditto. I've had issues where I was building new residential, but on the far side of my city the industrial zones I'd built weren't doing anything.

Then I did some public transit infrastructure work, added a few passenger rail stations and lines and poof, suddenly my industrial zones started working.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

E: wrong thread. :downs:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Man, I love the ability to create crosswalks/bus stops like this. I'm a bit irritated that the busses still block traffic a bit, but they stop for such a short amount of time it doesn't matter. Red line's an express route, blue line's a local route, and there's so much loving pedestrian traffic that poo poo gets a bit nuts.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

simosimo posted:

And do cims cross the road at all? Don't think i've seen them do that. They really need a 2 tile WIDE pedestrian bridge, or subway tunnel. The giant ramps for a simple overpass are silly.

Uncle Jam posted:

Place crosswalks by going from tree to treeless roads.

Basically do this:

There's a 2-tile segment of 6 lane road (the shortest you can place) creating crosswalks between the university and highschool, allowing easy travel to and from them and the nearby metro station.

You can do the opposite with a tiny segment of 4 lane in the middle of a loooong stretch of 6 lane that you want a crosswalk across. As long as it's not too close to an intersection suddenly having 2 less lanes shouldn't mess with traffic.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Watching your city's traffic crawl to a halt not because of industry but instead due to a giant wave of people moving in is pretty hilarious.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

CJacobs posted:

I really don't know how you people make those bigass highway interchanges and double klein bottle roundabouts in the middle of your cities, I can never do it and have it look any semblance of good so I just don't bother. Is it all prefabs? Are you cheating the highway creation system?

A bulldozer mixed with a giant stack of large denomination Cimoleans, some lighter fluid and a match.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

speaking of specialized industry, is there a way to tell what resources a given area will have? i figured out that ore is in dark grayish areas and that light yellow-green patches of land are suitable for farms, but what about oil and forestry?

I'm assuming you mean telling without using the resource identifier?

Yellowish soil is fertile farmland, forested areas are good for logging, greyish soil is ore deposits, and oil tends to make soil brown.

For reference, you can zone any specific industry anywhere. Oil and Ore will just haul in resources from out of town instead of mining it up. Meanwhile you can set up logging and farming anywhere, but if you place them on fertile areas you'll get a far higher percentage of production buildings (farms, pig sties and lots where trees are being grown) that will actually produce resources for the rest of your industry.

Oh, and planting trees from the parks and rec tab DOES actually make an area more fertile for forestry. It's an absolutely tiny effect though, but it will make the area around them just a tiny bit green on the resource view.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

But I've seen "ore truck" or "lumber truck" going direct from a mine or a tree farm right to a normal factory before? Or does processing that resource some how make it more appealing to industries? I wish the resource economy was more visible, with buildings exactly listing what they produce, what they consume, and their current levels.

I also wish if a building had a vehicle heading to it you could select that vehicle. Building on fire? Click on the fire icon and see the vehicles heading there. Industry out of resources? Check to see where the truck is stuck.

Basically as mentioned the chain very loosely goes raw->processed->generic->commercial good. However this is a very loose chain and you can skip the processed step. The big bonus is that each potential step you have, the more money you make. If factories can get their raw products locally it saves them money/increases profits and therefore you earn more $$ from taxes. Not that the player necessarily needs $$.

My favorite from that page was this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410027027&searchtext=ramp

Next up on Colossal Order's resume: Rollercoasters: Skylines.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Check the energy thread in D&D, there's basically massive massive subsidies and policies that have resulted in skyrocketing energy costs, a rapid expansion of coal mining, and the de-mothballing of a bunch of coal and fossil fuel burning plants. The whole thing's been a huge hand-out to well connected "green" energy companies and anti-nuclear hysteria. A whole lot of bad math and bad science created a really really bad energy policy.

Isn't Germany vehemently anti-nuclear power? I mean, to the point that the average German makes the average American sound like a pro-nuke zealot in comparison?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

They were going to build a bunch of nuclear reactors until Fukushima happened and then the government scrapped the project with a big 'lol gently caress no.'

Which is hilarious because Germany is just as geologically unstable as Japan. :rolleyes:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also modern 21st century Nuclear power plant design and general architecture vs 1960s versions. :v: Whatever, Nukes are bad! M'Kay?

My favorite take on it was Anno 2070 where the Tycoons' options for power were coal or nuclear. Only if the Tycoons went nuclear you'd get a notification every five to ten minutes that "an incident occurred" just to freak you out (because they can go off). Oh, and the Tycoon citizens will every so often put up a petition saying "Tear down the nuclear plants or we'll stop paying taxes for two hours of gametime!" so the Tycoon is basically limited to making only polluting coal power plants.

The funniest part was that neither the Tech nor Eco factions would even blink to sharing an island with a nuclear reactor. Only the Tycoons objected to their own power plant.

MikeJF posted:

Noise Pollution effectively acts as NIMBY in a lot of cases.

Yeah, you can treat noise pollution as a light NIMBY effect, whereas actual ground pollution is a heavy NIMBY. No one gives a gently caress about water pollution though. :v:

I've been using a mod that gives me recycling centers. They're basically inceneration plants with half the garbage removal capacity, no power production, twice the area and cost twice as much. But they only produce noise pollution, no ground pollution, so I can place them in residential/commercial zones no problem.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 2, 2015

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hubis posted:

Things SimCity 2013 had that Cities: Skylines lacks: side guides on (esp. curved) roads to make parallel sections easy to create.

Seriously. Desperately needed.

A circle tool would also be greatly appreciated.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Lucinice posted:

What's the best way to balance education? All my businesses are requiring educated workers but if I educate them no one will work in my industries.

Educated people will still work uneducated jobs. Just bring in more people, the smart jobs will fill up and then the rest will go to the farm or lumber mill for work.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=419861445&searchtext=rail

Well, I think I know what map my next city will be on, just for shits and giggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Crime rate is determined by unemployment. Start a new city, get up until about the point when you get police stations or schools. Dezone all your commercial and industrial, rezone commercial and industrial as needed to prevent your city from imploding.

I'm going for this now with a city with over $3 million in the bank just seeing what happens if I burn it all. So far I got the oppression office, but crime sits stubbornly in the mid-20s.