Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

totalnewbie posted:

I hope they re-work some of the pathing AI so gaming (:rimshot:) the road system won't be necessary.

It isn't, traffic isn't really a problem in this game unless you are making really poor decisions or don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mlmp08 posted:

Traffic is mostly a self-inflicted wound for me, but it's funny to follow an AI truck that will suffer through 10 traffic lights in crammed traffic rather than take the bypass road I build that skips all the lights. The AI is overly averse to traveling a greater overland distance, even if it means the trip would be half as long time-wise.

Are you sure your roads are set up directly? My trucks will use higher speed, higher capacity roads rather than driving through residential neighborhoods unless they are going to save a significant amount of time by taking the shorter route.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mlmp08 posted:

It seems a bit odd. In one place, the trucks immediately switched to my bypass. Then I build pretty much the exact same style of bypass elsewhere and the only cars that seem to use it are utility vehicles like garbage trucks and hearses while the commercial trucks just sit in traffic all day, one block over.

Strange, unless your trucks are leaving the highway in order to make their deliveries. All of my serious traffic jams are due to bottlenecks, usually around highways. I've also been making my city as much like Los Angeles as I can manage, so I'm not sure what's up.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Freakus posted:

Any tips on getting level 3 offices? Do parks help them like they do residential? Or do I need to cover them in other things?

They need to be covered by all the same services that your residential buildings are, including schools, hospitals, etc. I also have found that stacking multiple service buildings will allow them to upgrade. Sometimes three fire stations within a few blocks just isn't enough, apparently. It's really stupid right now.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Spaceman Future! posted:

Higher / better would make sense in C:S too since the lower you are the greater your chances of being flooded in poo water by a badly thought out drat placement or fluctuating river. So long as "higher" was measured from a gradient from the lowest average tile on your overall map rather than having an all raised tile map be a richie rich enclave otherwise its just exploitable design.

I think it would be better for land value to be based on nearby change in elevation, so if your map has a giant plateau the land in the middle of the plateau isn't more valuable than the land, say, right next to the edge of the cliff with an amazing view. Areas close to water should be worth more than areas further away.

For example, in this screenshot quite a few of the houses on the large hill would have the same value as the buildings on the middle-right side of the shot because they are at the same elevation, despite the fact that the houses on the hill have a significantly better view.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409068574

Mod that removes parks from demand calculations.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Gyshall posted:

So basically a fix for that bug?

Honestly I don't think that it's a bug, more like an oversight or just a bad design decision. Apparently commercial demand competed with the number of people using parks, so the modder removed parks from commercial calculation.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ofaloaf posted:

This is basically the right way to go about it when two highways meet, right?

I can't see any difference.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dr. Stab posted:

Real highways don't need a mix of left and right side exits to work properly.

That interchange would actually work pretty well with the pathing in this game, I think. I'm not at home so I can't test it, but if you split the perpendicular, merging highway into two off ramps for each direction that should force the AI to use different lanes.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

For you people loving about with the building editor, how difficult would it be to make some plopables that work like the two ports? I really want to get some decent sea walls in the game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ToastyPotato posted:

Has anyone figured out what a good min/max length is for a city block? Imagine too long and people wouldn't walk the entire thing. I want to build a walkable city, but I don't want to over do it with pedestrian paths, and I want to find an efficient distance for intersections.

People will walk the entire length of your city if they want to. I watched a lady get off at one of my train stations, ignore the bus stop in front of her and walk about 10 very long blocks away to her house.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there any way to fix railroad congestion? I have two cargo stations hooked up to the outside connection, and if I hook up my passenger station the main railroad track just gets slammed with trains.

Don't hook your intracity trains up to the regional line, simple as that. I have two parallel circuits in my city, one for freight (which connects to the region) and one for passengers, which loops within the city.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Reason posted:

Key to manageable traffic is neighborhoods and downloading non-lovely off ramps from the workshop. I've been trying to add as much user created zone buildings because there seems to not be much variety.

Unfortunately like 95% of the premade intersections are useless on maps with any hills at all.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

HardDisk posted:

There's a real dearth of sceenshots and fan art in the OP, can you guys give me a hand there? :)

A few more: http://imgur.com/a/reac3

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Vahakyla posted:

How do you get it to look like this?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406018056&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406629464&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406255342&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406326408&searchtext=
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408932281&searchtext=

I run 300% supersampling for 1920x1080 (only when taking screenshots), film grain disabled, and 30 FOV with the first person camera.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is anyone else bothered by the massive amount of curbside parking the Cims engage in? All those cars just sitting there!

I need to download some parking lot mods I guess. Anyone got any they particularily like? I don't suppose parking garages are possible? a plopabble structure that contains (and mostly hides) lots and lots of parking spaces?

I've seen a parking garage on the workshop, no idea if it works or not though.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

cthulhoo posted:

This is basically a grid, though. It's just there's a lot of it.

I designed it to look like a generic southern California city. It's not quite a total grid, as in a lot of places the terrain is hilly enough that the roads end up being windy messes, but I still think I managed to capture the look of LA's bloated sprawl fairly well.

Orgophlax posted:

FYI, the Hide UI mod is redundant. Just click the little camera button at the lower right, and that'll hide the UI.

I use hide UI to hide the UI in first person mode, otherwise I just use the camera in the lower right. I'm aware that I could hit the camera, then first person, but I think it's easier being able to just switch between no UI and UI with a toggle.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Does anyone know of any car park mods that, you know, the creators didn't make massive tourist attractions for some reason?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lester Shy posted:

Every couple years I get massive dead body issues around town. I don't think it's a traffic problem since fires get put out and the garbage is picked up in those areas. I've tried spamming cemeteries and turning the medical budget up to 150%, but the bodies keep piling up. If I let it go long enough, the buildings get abandoned and replaced, so it's not killing the city, but all of those notifications are annoying.

People die when they get old.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lester Shy posted:

Right, but am I supposed to be getting tweets about the smell of rotting bodies every time someone dies?

If you're actually having trouble with corpses piling up all at the same time you're probably only a few hours into your city and still expanding, or you're seriously loving up. At least, in my experiences.

Crematoriums can burn more corpses than you can ever send into them, like I'm not sure it's possible to have too many corpses for a crematorium. Your major limiting factor with corpse disposal, then, are hearses. If you are always having problems with bodies not being collected then you need to try to keep a few things in mind. Crematoriums are better built away from high traffic streets, and you want all of your streets to be green in the deathcare overlay, as that's the best general indicator of when you've got enough crematorium coverage.

If you are experiencing periodic die offs, keep in mind that your citizens live for six years. If you zone a massive chunk of residential, and if it fills very quickly, you're going to have a lot of problems with your seniors dying off all at once. The only way to really get around this is to not zone large districts out all at once. Generally, though, your regular die offs stop to happen and your population stabilizes even with crazy zoning. If you do wind up overwhelmed just bump your healthcare budget up temporarily in order to spawn more hearses.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Well, gently caress.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gman14msu posted:

Could you upload this to the workshop and link to it here?

Also, for anyone who has used http://terrain.party/ :
  • Do you have any tips for getting the water right? I'm struggling to get the hang of it.
  • Does the 1:1 scale make sense? I was thinking that with the gameplay, something more like 1.5 (real world) to 1 (game) would give more realistic looking cities.

I'm actually just now trying out my second custom map, and after using terrain party quite a bit I've decided that the scale you really want to go for in most instances is something like 3:1 scale. terrain.party pulls really low resolution heightmaps most of the time, which honestly look awful. Both of my maps have ended up being photoshopped amalgamations of various different places in order to look a little natural. I'm not sure what to tell you if you're going for a 1:1 recreation of a real place.

As for the water, place the water sources near the edge of the map. In game your camera is limited so that you can't see the map edges. That lets the sources flow out awkwardly, but by the time they enter the actual gamespace the river should look fine. Raise and lower the sources to determine the height from which they produce water, and you can control the level of the ocean with the sea level thing. I'm not sure if there's anything more than that to it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gman14msu posted:

I'm not concerned so much with the "jaggedness" caused by the low resolution, I'm fine with throwing the soften tool around. The scale issue is more trying to get a city scale that "fits" with the gameplay and looks good. For example, would a similar number of highways in the roughly correct places provide reasonable traffic flow or be way over or under capacity.

With water, when I make a source, it tends to go somewhat down the river basin, but it fizzles out and doesn't make it all the way to the end. This happens even when I'm using a few of what I think are the largest water sources.

Low resolution doesn't result in jagginess, the maps are the same overall resolution regardless of size. The problem is that the maps are low resolution as in low detail.

Also, try moving water sources further up or adjusting your height of where the rivers start and their flow. They can flow from one end of the map to the other.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

You can make some loving insane switchbacks in this game.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Stalins Moustache posted:

Someone keeps linking pictures of the mountaineous map. Can anyone link it, and could the links to cool maps be added to the OP?

Can you be more specific, there are quite a few mountainous maps.

I have this one but I don't know if it's what you want.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It's not on the workshop, let me smooth out some of the gently caress ups I've noticed and I can upload it.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Okay, here's the map.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410456200

There are about 120k trees left until the limit so feel free to go crazy placing them. Keep in mind that the highways are a little funky, as there's no nub for you to start with. The river in the first tile also may or may not flood. It's also intended to use with a 25 tile mod, as there isn't a large amount of playable space available.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sylink posted:

When you add stuff like this, it just goes into the building rotation/chance pool right? It doesn't replace anything ?

This is going to end up like skyrim where I have so much poo poo I dont even know what the base game is.

They go into the pool with the rest of the buildings. It's a pretty nice mod, all things considered.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Alakaiser posted:

This works? I figured you were required to put a bit of highway into the starting square or you wouldn't be able to build at all.

There's highway access, but it's just a highway, unlike the starting maps which have a little interchange set up for you to start with.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Mantis posted:

Any tips on getting office to level 3? Full local service coverage and bus stops/metro stops.

Build more fire and police stations. Even if you have enough.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

My town is slowly turning into a model train display.

Freakus posted:

Wind is $10/MW. Solar is something like $7.5/MW. The real question is: why would you build coal, oil, or nuclear plants?

Maps with really limited space. I'm using a ton of dams, windmills, and a single NPP. I don't have room to spam solar plants at all.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sylink posted:

maybe if someone built a proper long range transmission network we could harness the power of kansas but

People want to build one but our governor says no, it would be too cool.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chewbot posted:

Last lookup table for a while, I think. This one's called Verdant, works best in Boreal maps but looks pretty good on Temperate too. I was going for lush green trees/grass and bright sunlight without blowing out any highlights.

I'm gonna upload this and the winter lut to workshop now.

Did you ever upload these and/or set them to public?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poizen Jam posted:

Perhaps I'm just stuck in my ways of thinking from SC4 but my biggest pet peeve about this game is the fact electricity won't travel through zoned areas. It is really cumbersome and annoying to lay power lines all over the place, especially when they dezone things they're placed through. I preferred the approach of SC4- buildings could develop on top of power lines, and electricity travelled through zoned areas.

Electricity works in this game the same way as SC4.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dante18907 posted:

I thought in SC4 electricity traveled through undeveloped zoned areas? Whereas in S:C it travels only through developed zoned areas. I think that is what he was on about.

Oh, I didn't even realize that was what he meant. Yeah, that is annoying.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Every time.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mountainous maps are cool.

Dante18907 posted:

I tried playing with the downsampling mod but even on a 970 it broke my computer and left it crying in the corner.

I'm using a 770 and it's fine at 175% for normal gameplay (30-60 FPS), so you should be able to go higher unless you're already playing at 4k or something.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

My Catalyst driver override application AA settings wasn't doing anything until I forced the game to DirectX 9 with -force-d3d9, then I could override it. Still looks ehhhhh, though.

I would really recommend just grabbing the dynamic resolution mod and using it to supersample, assuming your GPU can handle it. At 150-175% on 1920x1080 it makes the game look significantly sharper.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dante18907 posted:

Edit: What DoF setting is that? Its nice without being obnoxious.

100%, but from what I can tell the strength of the effect varies between resolutions. The game is (I think) running at 3360x1890.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Noyemi K posted:

For some reason they migrated it or something. I was having the same issue, until I signed up for a paradox account and linked it to my paradox account... :confused:

Yes I know.

Unrelated to this post, but is your growable commercial building locked to a specific climate? I haven't seen it once on my boreal map.