Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
This is a good game and it's wasting way too loving much of my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
When people post pictures of cool looking cities, could they also attach a traffic map? I want to see just how good/terrible I'm doing in comparison.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MikeJF posted:

One thing I'm really missing is larger versions of certain city services. A high-capacity elementary school or a high-capacity high school would be good. Although it might be prone to abuse given that there's apparently no distance limit on effective schooling.

That would be convenient, but not particularly true to life. Elementary schools, even in huge cities, generally have a fairly low capacity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Subyng posted:

What's that big tower thing??

Looks vaguely like the Russian embassy in Havana (rumoured to be a secret missile silo).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Everyone seems very focused on making perfectly planned cities, despite the fact that there are perhaps two or three examples of those anywhere on earth, and none of them are particularly great places where you actually want to live. Cities in real life tend to be hosed up, idiosyncratic things that are just kept hobbling along with a hope and a prayer. Although it may be fun to have the perfect, most efficient city, it can also be rewarding to paint yourself into specific corners and then try to find your way back out (more like managing a real city).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Wait they do? So why do the roads light up green when placing schools?

It increases land values in the area, I believe.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

mutata posted:

What's going on is a nationwide trend of switching from signaled intersections or 4-way stops to traffic circles because they are literally objectively better in every way.

Is there a way to make a traffic circle as compact as a 4-way stop? There's one by my apartment, and there's absolutely no room for gently caress all. And it's right by a lights, so during rush hour, it would be hosed and no one could use it. I'm curious to see how that could be solved.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bel Monte posted:

I don't see how you can fix it without removing both to be honest.

Part of the problem is that the lights were just added, because the LRT line was extended, so everything always gets backed up and it's terrible. I don't think it's possible to un-gently caress it at this point, it's better off to just avoid it all together.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

Two-lanes by themselves won't create stops, anything bigger than that will, except freeway sections. Which leads to a lot of roundabouts made of freeway so that they work like they should in reality.

Oh, duh! That's why my six-lane one-way roundabout was acting all lovely.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Brutalism is cool and good when done properly.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Does anyone outside of an official corporate PR twitter actually use hashtags? I see them used "ironically" on facebook more than anyone on twitter.

Occasionally. If I want people other than my followers to see it, perhaps if I'm asking a general question, I'll use a category-specific hashtag like #yyc or #abpoli. Sometimes I'll search those, and sometimes I'll search other ones like #yycfood just to see what people are discussing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

The taller the buildings, the better the city looks.
Suburbs are for scrubs.

Is there a way to get dense blocks of low-rise apartments, like most cities in Europe have?

On another note, that CimCopter Alpha thing makes me excited.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Domattee posted:

As others have said this is standard signage on the continent and means you have priority. Side roads have to have stop/yield signs so they know that the other road has priority and won't take someones right-of-way and cause a crash. (In Germany at least this is a legal requirement and if the city fails to provide it it has to cover any accident costs)

As a North American, I don't understand what the point of the priority sign is. We just... wouldn't have a sign on the priority route, and then we'd have yield or stop signs on the secondary road. What would a European do upon approaching an intersection that has neither a yield, a stop, or a priority sign, and how does it differ from how they would drive if there were a priority sign?

This is exactly why I don't drive in Europe...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I think all it does is confirm that yes, you do have priority. We simply have a stop sign where you need to stop and it's assumed the priority road knows it has priority via not having a stop sign. The priority sign just confirms it so there's no confusion. At least that's what I assume. They also like to actually paint lines on the intersection its self to clearly show who has priority.

That actually makes sense. I forgot that we can also have uncontrolled intersection, which are just bad news all around (how many people do you suppose actually know the right-of-way rules for one of those, given the behaviour we see at 4-way stops).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Is it possible to make a diverging diamond interchange in this game?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Could someone please mod some loving disasters for this game so we don't have to have this discussion every few pages?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

In terms of game design, it seems like everyone has a collection of things they really want to nerd out over, and others they want to ignore. The game should accommodate that by allowing the player to select the level of detail they want in each specific system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, I fully admit that while I absolutely want the detail of having little wooden transmission poles on my streets, and the option to choose underground transmission for a more expensive but "aesthetically pleasing" option, other people might just want to tell the game "give my roads water and power and stop bothering me."

That's cool too! Make the game support both so that I can be grognardy on my own time!

Exactly. Look at MSFS for an example: it's a great example of an inherently non-competitive game albeit one that requires arbitrarily high amounts of skill in whatever area you choose. The design accommodates it very well, and I think it really represents the gold standard of a game where the goal is just to gently caress around and play against your own expectations or standards. You can either fly whatever you want with all assists and no damage and an AI co-pilot to handle the boring poo poo, or you can get absurdly deep into procedures and systems simulation, and both ways are completely valid and enjoyable ways of playing the game if that's what you want.