Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

Last episode gave us the exact reason why Shirou uses Archer's weapons and fighting style.

Also, if I remember right, while Archer's Swords aren't particularly amazing as weapons, they imbue the wielder with defensive skills which would make them better for a relative novice like Shirou going against a seasoned warrior then say, a really powerful weapon that he has no idea to use, in a fighting style not as well suited to him.

Yeah, here it is. Looked it up on the LP.

Kinda don't get that kind of thing in the Anime, so it's not explicitly stated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Hunt11 posted:

What a dumb weakness for an Irish Hero to have.

More relevant weakness would be to invite him over to dinner. At that dinner, serve dog.

Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

The kalabolg thing is just another note on the pile of stuff that nasuverse Lancer's myths and legends has associated with him.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

ChronoReverse posted:

Perhaps Nasu meant the sword's spine. I am the spine of my swords would make some sense considering Shirou's relationship with swords.

Then Nasu thought that spine=bone and away we go.

That's basically what I got from it. Not actually "bone". but metaphorically, the spine, the skeleton of the sword. It's core, it's essence, the part of it that everything else is formed around. Archer is the "bone" that the sword is formed around. He is what gives it structure. Gives it form.

I am the bone of my sword.
Steel is my body is fire is my blood.

His will is the structure of his sword.
His body, his magic, is the material that it is made of.
His blood, the mana that flows through his magic circuits which are basicly his veins, is what shapes and tempers what he makes.

He does not HAVE weapons, he is a Blacksmith that makes them from himself, his magic. So making vague comparisons with Bone, Blood, and Body, for Shape, Steel, and Fire makes enough sense once you know that much about him.

Or maybe Nasu just thought it sounded cool.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Lord Justice posted:

When was that implanted in him? It's unclear to me - If it was the whole series, then fine, but that doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. His rate of recovery seems to be a lot slower than say with Kiritsugu, who recovered from having his heart explode after only a few seconds. Shirou seems to need hours in same cases to recover from lesser wounds.

They literally spelled it out this episode. Shirou clutching his glowing chest and everything, Giant explosions of light. Avalon appearing. Right there when he was found. Even straight up said, that it's powered by Saber, so even if he does not have the master-servant link anymore, it still works from simple proximity to her. Left over magic in the sheath is what let him save Shirou in the first place.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

Speaking of which, where did Sakura go? Does she have no role in this route?

Nope. She's purely background.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Allarion posted:

Actually, I've heard Fate Shirou doesn't become Archer either even if he does come the closest out of the three. I've never understood the justification as to why though.

The way I understood it? Because of Archer.

I think Archer comes from a timeline where Archer was not summoned as a Hero during the Grail War as Rin's Servant. Influence from Archer himself, even if minor, sets Shirou on a different path.

Fate Shirou is the closest to becoming Archer, but not likely, UBW Archer is very unlikely, and HF is drat near impossible.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Endorph posted:

imo i could buy that if he was wearing the furcoat, but that biker jacket? that looks kinda cheap.

Simple cheap looking cut, but expensive cloth. It's anime, can't tell what exactly it's made of of. He could be clad in silk from head to toe, and that's like, 500$ of raw material before the first stitch.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Silver2195 posted:

This only seems to apply to Gil, though; the other Fourth War Servants are frequently referred to by their classes, which can be confusing.

Extra and Apocrypha Servants are more often referred to by their actual names, although a couple of the Extra Servants have nicknames.

Exactly, it does get confusing. DOUBLY so for Gil since he's in the same war as other Archers, so you can't even narrow it down by figuring out which Greil war your discussing and saying Archer. So Gilgamesh is always Gilgamesh. Which is fitting for the 2/3 god king of Uruk to be referred t by name, and not class.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Phobophilia posted:

On yet the other hand, wouldn't Gil's scheme just summon the Counter Guardians to burn his attempt to the ground?

Counter guardians do not PREVENT danger to the world. They STOP it. Gil's plan threatens humanity eventually, but right now? Nothing. It's barely a threat to the city. Once it starts going past that however...

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Kyte posted:

Yes. Lancer can also boost his spear via rune magic.

Also ACTIVATING it makes it be a more bigger rank number for that one attack. I.E when he chucked it against Archer.

While Ranks are a thing, there's a bajillion ways to subvert them.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

It was a slightly difficult narrative sell that Shirou could physically overpower Gilgamesh like that, though. I mean, it was basically what Rin did to Medea, and I assumed that he was using her tricks with the borrowed crest, but... well, Medea isn't known as a front-line fighter, and is always presented as a kinda squishy nerd (as is standard for Casters). Gilgamesh, on the other hand, is the archetypal ancient hero, a two-thirds divine monster with a legend full of spectacular battles. Sure, he's lazy as gently caress and his combat skills are rusty, but everything indicates that his strength, speed and durability should be incredibly fearsome even if he isn't especially talented in using them. I mean, this is the guy who half-destroyed a city in a (brief) wrestling match and took on a country-destroying kaiju mano a mano. Having him as a weedy rich boy propped up by his collection of ludicrously broken toys glosses over what he did to get all of those.

THIS Gilgamesh is not a 2/3 god king. This is a physical manifestation of a magical copy of his dead spirit, corrupted by pure evil in liquid curse form. It's a completely different realm of raw power.

Also, this is Nasuverse Gilgamesh, not Epic of Gilgamesh, Gilgamesh. Much like Arturia deviates from Arthurian legend, it stands to think that so would Guilgamesh.

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Shanakin posted:

Fate Zero is the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy. Except more entertaining. It was flashy and added a bunch of awkward lines that never quite matched up with the original content.
basically what I'm saying is Archer Shot first.

Basicly?

People complaining about things from Fate/Zero not showing up, is like people complaining Jar Jar is not running around with the Rebels in A New Hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

Mad Lupine posted:

Didn't think I was poo poo posting. I just wanted to talk about what I thought were failings of UBW. Reading this thread has made me realize that I should divorce myself from the idea that UBW was a direct follow up to Fate/Zero and it's better to think of it as its own thing. After doing so, I have determined that it's not that great. Above par for you average anime but that's not really a testament of quality. Probably would not have watched it otherwise.

That is EXACTLY the mindset you should have gone in with in the first place. UBW is not a follow up to F/Z. That is a giant source of the issues people have over it, treating it like a follow up to F/Z, which it's not. It is it's own thing.

And feeling it's not great is fair enough.

• Locked thread