Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

On that note, after Duke announced their opposition to Indiana's RFRA, a noose popped up on campus.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2015/04/01/noose-reported-bryan-center-plaza#.VR1hsfnF-30

Probably has more to do with racism, but either way, the fact that nooses are showing up says a lot about some of the people Tom Cotton and others represents.

Thats a pretty terrible noose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I don't know, but Obama's speech did have a section about Congress where he said "if Congress kills this deal."

It's already dead, isn't it :(

The agreement is between a bunch of countries and Iran. Obama could have done something clever here that doesn't commit the US to do anything that requires congressional approval.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Are members of Congress allowed to introduce legislation that would declare war on a country that the Executive Branch is presently engaged in diplomatic talks with?

Sure. Congressmen can introduce whatever bill want and say whatever they want in congress, speech and debate clause.

Besides, you know you can be in diplomatic talks with countries that you have declared war on, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, "Neville Chamberlain got a better deal from Adolf Hitler." ~ Senator Mark Kirk.

Yeah stalling an invasion for a few years while you build your defenses was quite a good deal for Chamberlain.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Kinda like how Iran doesn't have the capability of creating a feasible nuclear weapon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Pat Buchanan's president is Pat Buchanan.

This. The only thing that could have made it funnier was if Ron Paul was there too. Ron and Pat know their history, I don't necessarily agree with their conclusions but they certainly are thinking for themselves instead of uncritically repeating GOP talking points du jure.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Peven Stan posted:

In large part poor people who win the lottery in america don't have the capacity to stay rich because they don't have the social capital that many rich people have in order to perpetuate that wealth. I'm willing to bet that no lottery winners have ever considered putting a windfall in a trust or a dozen or so of trusts managed by a LP.

I'm sure plenty do and you just don't hear about them.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Branis posted:

I don't think there's ever been an actual existential threat to the US except maybe the civil war. Germany in the 40s couldn't get enough ships together to invade England, let alone cross the atlantic and invade the US.

Bah, the Nazis would have colonized Venus by 1962.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "LOL - come on dad, think you checked the wrong box" ~ Jeb Bush Jr.

Was it a butterfly ballot?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Will he have a catchy song like his father?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

:drat:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

Judith MIller has a new oped in the WSJ about :qq:

It's all lolworthy but especially the assertion that degraded chemical weapons that the Bush administration knew about before the fact but determined that they would not be a useful argument in favor of invading Iraq were the WMDs we were after.

quote:

But relying on the mistakes of others and errors of judgment are not the same as lying.

Ah, the "I'm not a liar, I'm just terrible at my job" defense.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

Where the gently caress do they think they'll be working?

At some think tank making more money than the rest of the class.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I would too, but I'm pretty sure even Kissinger wouldn't tolerate some of the poo poo Libertarians/Tea Partiers bring to a discussion.

Kissinger invented the term realpolitik and was a driving force for detente and normalizing relations with China so yeah he'd absolutely shut all that poo poo down.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

If the course consists of watching a group of overweight middle-aged white men run a train on Henry Kissinger over the course of a semester then I think I'll just take Game Theory instead.

How about a class on game theory taught by Henry Kissinger? It'd consist solely of games of Diplomacy.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

For context Kissinger is the one that said in an interview in the 70s that he played diplomacy by mail under pseudonyms. He'd probably clean house just by knowing the rules inside and out. (I want to know if he still does that, but its literally impossible to google for due to his profession and that he authored a book called "Diplomacy")

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gravel Gravy posted:

Getting angry when poor people eat fancy feasts instead of Fancy Feast.

But does the "meat by products" ingredient include any steak or seafood?!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ErIog posted:

This is real crazy, but it's a meme in conservative circles along with "we're screwing over farmers because of a tiny fish nobody cares about!" You guys should follow right wing media more. This is something literally everyone running in the GOP primary thinks is uncontroversial truth.

The comedy of course being that that tiny fish is diet of all the fish we like to eat.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

I don't mean heiner can't win because he is too extreme, I mean he can't win because he is, through some cosmic happenstance, uniquely poorly-placed among the GoP field to attack Democratic weaknesses.

Dems' presumptive nominee, attorney general Jack Conway, is a slick biglaw type from Louisville. State GoP has been banking on overcoming democratic institutional momentum and fiscal advantage by exploiting cultural resentments. Their establishment candidate, agriculture comissioner jim comer, is ideal for this, being a big corn-fed farm dude from the rural hinterlands.

Heiner, though, is a fatcat Louisville financier.
How can you attack your opponent for being a Louisville fatcat if you are yourself a Louisville fatcat?

He's Joe Walsh only if Joe Walsh were a texan cowboy who would ride up and spit sunflower seeds at collar county suburbanites' dogs.

Heiner is also more effete than Conway, meaning that he will have a harder time taking advantage should people discover (or start to suspect) that Conway is a secret gay, as the commonwealth law-office rumor mill suggests.

Doesn't help that the typical democratic response to Jack Conway is "ugh". At least he's not Lunsford.

Maybe Democrats should head off the gay thing by running Jim Gray.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Popular Thug Drink posted:

If all the police reports have the same inaccurate story, are they going to charge the other cops with filing false reports?

It's absurd to me that the cops will piss and moan about how citizens aren't willing to talk or be truthful to the police when it's evident the police hold themselves to no standard of honesty.

The other cops' reports will say something like "When I arrived on the scene there was a taser next to the body. Officer <whatever the guys name is> reported that: ...."

This can be twisted as a "confirmation" by the media, but all that is being confirmed is that the cop told that story to more than one person.

That is of course unless the other cops were actually in on a conspiracy but that does not currently appear to be the case.

edit: Other witnesses interviewed probably said "I heard gunshots and went outside and there I saw a the cop standing over a body, there was something that looked like a gun on the ground next to the body"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

My understanding is that the officer had multiple witnesses back up his story; however, there was something about them being unnamed witnesses and something to do with the media not being able to name them. I can be 100% wrong, but I was under the impression that the cop had half a dozen people corroborate his story. I'm weary of fuckers popping out of the woodwork and going "oh yeah, that black dude totally did a thing" since that insane woman (literally schizophrenic) was Witness #1 for the Mike Brown shooting.

A witness saying "I heard gunshots, went outside and saw a taser on the ground next to the suspect" is consistent with the officer's story. Remember the media is terrible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

Nah, gently caress em

:laffo: at anyone naive enough to think this

A police officer attempted to stop corruption in the 60s NYPD narcotics unit. He was put on point on a high danger raid, as soon as the door was busted down all the other cops left him to be shot.

"Good cops" are probably more afraid of bad cops than you are.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Radbot posted:

What the gently caress is that about? This totally sounds like they felt they "had" to fire him but didn't want to.

It'll probably take a little while for him to actually be fired officially canceling their health insurance. As a mother without a job she'd be eligible for medicaid after the city's insurance expires so the state would still be covering everything.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 9, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yes it is, though it's important to be mindful of what would have happened had the killer been a regular civilian. You think that person's employer would care in the least about a wife in that case? People shouldn't get special treatment because their family members happen to be police.

If there was a union it'd be their job to care so maybe.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You know you to fire a government employee for negligence you have to go through due process right. Unions jobs also usually require as a part of their contract some sort of process for firing someone for gross misconduct. I'm kinda surprised that this of all forums is where people are whining about due process rights jesus loving christ.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You forgot d. The mayor personally or the union is covering her COBRA premium

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

I'm about to reveal a shockingly stupid ignorance of things here, but if everyone is always concerned about evil nuclear scientists cobbling bombs together, why doesn't the UN or whatever have a multinational Nuclear Corps. That staffs and regulates nuclear plants in... delicate areas?

Sounds a bit complicated. Perhaps this International Atomic Energy Agency you are proposing should just continuously monitor a country's entire nuclear program from mining raw uranium to what isotopes are being created and how waste is disposed. These "IAEA inspectors" could report when they are denied access to facilities and then the UN Security Council could respond with sanctions until access is restored.

The only problem with this idea is that since you can't prove a negative a country could become so convinced that something must be there and is just being hidden really well from the inspectors!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Imagine a world where the Baruch Plan had actually been accepted and implemented.

No Cold War in that world as if any world with a Soviet Union wouldn't allow it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

He's 73 and should have been put behind a desk, not the barrel of a gun.

He's 73 and a reserve officer. Which means he had no training. I thought reserve officers were supposed to be crossing guards and direct traffic during football games.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Radbot posted:

Both sides are not the same on some issues. They are very close to each other on many issues, like Wall Street regulation, as the only Dems talking about that now are ones establishment Dems are desperately trying to muzzle.

They are still quite far from each other, this kind of equivocation is quite dangerous when theres a huge gap. A democratic congress passed new regulations in 2010, a republican congress now wants those, and more repealed. If you vote for a democratic congress and presidency the worst that will happen is that things will stay the same, if you vote for a republican thats the best case.

Comment from the Krugman op-ed posted:

This is one of the rare Paul Krugman opinion pieces with which I cannot agree. Dr Krugman completely IGNORES Hillary's vote in favor of the Iraq War Resolution, and her continuous and adamant support for that war and occupation right up to the beginning of the full campaign season in January 2008. We are talking about trillions of federal and state tax dollars, not to mention the priceless American and Iraq lives LOST, wasted on a war that only helped boost al-qaeda and the even more violent Islamic State.

Again, this kind of thinking is going to be quite common amongst democrats and it'll again be dangerous and wrong. Most democrats in congress voted for the Iraq war, most people in the country were for the Iraq war at the time based on lies the Bush administration told us. The only democrats you're going to find that didn't vote for it either were not in congress at the time or will be considered "too extreme" but the "independent" voters that will decide the election.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 13, 2015

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In more on topic news, Obama has said that he'd sign the latest bipartisan bill regarding Iran, thus ensuring that it won't have enough republican votes to pass.

Trollbama best Obama.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chamale posted:

That would have to be a shitload of mirrors, actually. And because space doesn't leave an efficient way to conduct away heat, over time they would heat up and start emitting heat towards Earth unless they were almost perfectly reflective.

Theres a simple solution for that one though, "Increase solar shade"

The main problem I see is researching fusion power and organic super lubricants.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chamale posted:

Is an organic super lubricant anything other than a sex joke?

We need to restart the DnD SMAC game and make participation mandatory.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I too want everyone I see on the road flying a helicopter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Evil_Greven posted:

The other thing is the Victim Impact Statement that the judge takes offense to contains this:

Thus, probation was already being considered prior to the statement.

The statement did not change the sentence, so any claims that the judge lowered the sentence because of the statement are bullshit.

What was the sentence anyways?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jagchosis posted:

Joementum, this is seriously confusing me so lemme know if you have any insight. What, if anything, do non-Menendez Senators gain by consenting to congressional oversight for the Iran deal beyond feeling like they're relevant?

Congress hasn't liked the small role they have in foreign policy since the founding of the country. Now that declarations of war and formal treaties are no longer used as frequently congress has even less power compared to the presidency so they want to assert more of it.

While there is a partisan aspect of it, there is also a separation of powers aspect of it too. Congressmen are loathe to vote something down that gives them more power.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Joementum posted:

He's voted "yes" on a bunch of things, but only two bills that he's authored have passed the Senate: a bill banning the Iranian ambassador from entering the US and one authorizing a reward for information on the abduction of an American abroad.

Did anyone tell him the first one is unconstitutional?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Transferrins posted:

SECRECY SHROUDS DECADE-OLD OIL SPILL IN GULF OF MEXICO

11 loving years. The company responsible has already sold all their oil wells and decided the safest course of action is inaction.
A lawsuit over secrecy leads to less information being publicly available. Is there anything that can be done by a regular person to stop the oil that's going into the Gulf of Mexico?

The safest course of action probably is inaction; anything else risks making things even worse. This isn't like a ship thats leaking oil.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Edmund Lava posted:

Hey why don't they organize and demand higher pay. Oh right

Well if they did that now the FAA would be unable to hire any more controllers because nobody can pass their dumb psychological screening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You don't have to be Jewish to be Zionist and vice versa.

• Locked thread