Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
"Federal Weed decriminalization" just means the feds won't bust you for possession, which is a rare occurrence. Either they get you for something bigger (like being a dealer) or the state's laws is what they charge you under.

No matter how libertarian Republicans are, they're not going to violate the latter case because that would be the biggest anti-States' Rights crusade since Nixon and national speed limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fried Chicken posted:

History shows that "White" is really malleable. Wouldn't take a lot for Hispanics to follow the path of the Irish, Italians, Polish, Greeks, Roma, or Turks and become "white".

They tried that 70 years ago and it didn't work.

Like, literally the whole theme of Hispanics during the Civil Rights movement was to say "we're not just another white subclass, we're our own thing".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr. Tough posted:

Whites will always be a majority of the US population. The day that "white" as it's defined now dips to 49.9% is the day that "hispanic" disappears as a racial category.

"Hispanic" isn't a racial category, but is rapidly becoming one.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

White people make the rules on who's white though. v:shobon:v

And it's already happening anyhow. Once upon a time Ted Cruz would have not been counted as white.

Once upon a time Ted Cruz would be a Castilian instead of a mestizo (because he has money, not because of his ancestry).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grouchio posted:

So I've been reading William Greider's One World: Ready or Not 1996 novel on the Loony Global Economic Revolution, and my dad's been reading novels about the threat of corporate states in Blade Runner style.

I'm wondering three things: When will the current global economic revolution (multi-corporations and all) reach it's expiration date, if it has one? Is the US destined to become a corporate state in which interests are served only to the oligarchs? How hosed is the future of our middle class?

It will probably be like today except with fancier gizmos.

Also by most metrics the US probably already is a corporate state in which interests are served only to the oligarchs (and has been for like a hundred years).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grouchio posted:

So should I give up hope that good progressive changes to society, infrastructure and/or technology will come this century as the corporations bleed us dry? Or can we fight back?

Corporations bled us dry a hundred years ago.

So basically it could go either way.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm still half convinced that the nonstop cynicism from Dems is a propaganda move from the GOP that is self sustaining.

Then again I know partisans on the right and they bitch just as much about the end times.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

The "end times" look very, very different to a right winger versus a left winger - god-created vs man-created apocalypse. I don't know many sane leftists who actually think we're about to be Left Behind, but a lot that think our current situation has no way out, so we're hosed in the long run.

I'm not talking about Rapture, I'm talking about "the Gays are forcing their marriage through/alcohol is legal/prayer is illegal/other crazy poo poo so we are living in a corrupt society with no way out". That latter part is why the gist is the same - there's a feeling of loss of control and your society changing from how you want it to be.

(even though in reality the society we have *now* and/or when they were born is far from how they remember it)

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hollismason posted:

I got a strange question and figured someone here would be able to answer it, but it regards the aging of the Republican party. At some point these people have to die, is it speculated when this will happen Presumably the hardcore Reagan lovers are all dead in 20 years not withstanding miracle science, so we'll be left with Paul Ryans and Ted Cruzs who are incredibly polarizing.

Is it a last Hoo Ra for the Republican party with the increase of minority voters? Take Chicago it's almost a 50/50 at this point minority to Caucasian ration. The prediction is that minoritty will overtake the Caucasian majority in 2050.

So is that possible that in 15 years we won't have to deal with this?

The cynic view is that while the old people will die out, they will be replaced (maybe not as much) with other groups, particularly the libertarian white "I'm not racist because I have a black friend" crowd. This will still result in changes to legislation (particularly marijuana) but will keep the same racial dynamic in play that we know today.

The optimist view is that despite trying to appeal to other groups, the Republicans will not have enough influence to remain nationally relevant. This will lead to a short period of Democrats deciding a lot of policy, before there is another split in the Democrats. This split will probably not be racial but more focused on economics, which in practice will be racial but without the dogwhistles.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

I know a 23 year old who has an "I miss Reagan" sticker on her car and named her pets after Republican First Ladys (of course one is Mary Todd :rolleyes:)

Also even if they pass into the minority of the population the racists and bigots will continue to have an outsized influence on politics as long as they turn out for primaries in key states.

Outsized isn't necessarily overwhelming though.

The way our system is set up there's a lag in change occurring (at least nationally) but when it happens, it happens fast.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Peven Stan posted:

I don't really think the demographic shift towards young people would really change much. Reminder that Romney actually won white millennials by a fairly large 51-44.

Remember that white millennials are a much smaller portion of the whole than before.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Peven Stan posted:

That is true. However its still 57% of the cohort dispersed fairly wide geographically which makes them more potent as a bloc than minority groups that are concentrated in states that vote democrat already.

Hispanics are dispersed fairly widely geographically, they just also have large numbers of people in the largest states.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Samurai Sanders posted:

This might be a stupid question, but was WW2 an existential threat to the US?

Not in the sense that the Jews were facing an existential threat but perhaps in the sense that the UK was facing an existential threat.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This sounds like it only focuses on Republican primary elections.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Tonk posted:

Not a whole lot happened in the Dem primary in 2012.

Even some General Election stuff would be interesting though.

"Generic Republican wins out over Tea Partier" could be the Thad Cochran effect as much as anything else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Gun control is just how old liberal parents/grandparents dogwhistle about racism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Look Around You posted:

The thing is though, Penn Hills seems to be ~60/40 or 65/35 black/white, but the composition of my (non jrotc) classes was probably 95/5 white/black. I think throughout my whole time in PH -- a school district of ~4750 with a class size of around 400, there were probably 4 or 5 black kids total in my year and the ones above and below me that I can remember being in gifted/accelerated/AP courses with. I remember sitting in on the normal (non-accelerated) classes a few times when I'd have to make up a test or whatever and holy hell were they awful. There was almost no rigor, the material was presented horribly and there were no real expectations of classroom engagement beyond whatever homework was assigned (the latter parts I found out from my friend who wasn't in the ~gifted program~). There's absolutely no way that in a class of 400 which is mostly black that only 1 or 2 black students are capable (in a vacuum) of taking those courses.

This was my experience in my high school as well. We had a class of ~700, but I can safely say that no more than 150-200 were in any sort of advanced class (and very very few of them were black, slightly more were hispanic).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FlamingLiberal posted:

Regarding how schools have changed, you'll notice looking back that people started demonizing public education once we started desegregating the schools, and especially once busing started. At around the same time a lot of groups that were right-wing in nature went after textbooks that weren't 'appropriate' (ie. A lot of the textbooks that appeared in the 1970s that explained how no, the U.S. isn't perfect, or the sex ed stuff that was being taught).

A lot of the busing stuff was very prevalent in the north too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MaxxBot posted:

Most of the stuff you listed I would attribute to the abysmal turnout by Democrats in off-year elections, especially in 2010 when the Republicans got to be in charge of redistricting. For example look at Michigan's insane tea party legislature and then compare it to how they vote solid blue in the presidential race, it's a totally different ballgame.

You're assuming national priorities are necessarily in line with local/state priorities. The mantra in Michigan has been "gently caress Detroit" for decades, and the reasons behind that (racism) don't necessarily apply when voting on a national level.

For another example, look at Massachusetts - it's not gerrymandering that gives them Republican governors.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GreyjoyBastard posted:

- Richard Nixon, Honest Man

I'm guessing that's excluding his HUAC stuff.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DaveWoo posted:

How did he "fall for" it? Is there a "correct" libertarian answer to the civil rights act question?

"Segregation is a distortion of free market principals but was ending naturally and the Big Government intervention has only inflamed race issues since then".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fknlo posted:

He's pro mercenary if I remember correctly. So instead of sending troops over we just send "private mercenaries" to do our bidding. States Rights, etc...

He's also in favor of having states outlaw drugs, just not the federal government.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

chitoryu12 posted:

The reason drones get people riled up is because they're new technology.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

chitoryu12 posted:

No poo poo they're new technology. Surprisingly, you have to change your ideas about the world and the capabilities of governments as technology changes! And you need to recognize when new technology provides a different kind of threat and opening for abuse than old technology! That's why we're concerned today about the NSA reading our emails and the government demanding secret warrantless access to everyone's smart phones instead of accusing them of wiretapping our telegraph lines.

All of the features you mentioned about drones are applicable to previous technology (cruise missiles). The newness is a significant and distinct part of the outrage.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Uhh

http://cityworldnews.com/butch-otter-poor-genetically-inferior/

:stonk:

I have no idea how credible this source or story is but if it is, holy gently caress I can't wait for more tapes. He's like every conservative stereotype made flesh.

I can tell you already that wolf eradication is 100% legit. The richest people in the state are ranchers (and Simplot, but he died) so their interests are very important.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Lets be like China and put Mao on every bill.

Or if people in the US don't like Mao that much we can do like Washington.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

Man that's weird. My great-grandmother only recently passed away and she was born in 1912 or 1911.

My great grandparents were all dead by the 80s but I had a grandfather born in 1918.

My only living grandparent was literally married at 16 (yay for :catholic: ).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

drakegrim posted:

On the topic Of Hillary, in or out?

Banghazi scandal- that should have disqualified her right off the bat

Is this what we're calling the Lewinsky scandal now?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

joeburz posted:

How has Rand reached his age without being murdered by his father?

The slogan isn't "Kill your Children".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Venom Snake posted:

Is this like the mirror of the Freepers who constantly complain about RINO's but vote straight ticket Republican every election? There will never be a party that has all your beliefs included, the best you can ever hope for in a 2 party system is a close match.

Even in a parliamentary system you end up with a couple big parties dominating and the "ideal" party ends up having to compromise their ideals anyway.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Vermont: America's Norway

Are they as racist against Muslims though?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grapplejack posted:

You can also turn cabbage into sauerkraut and get some sausages in there for a good goddamn meal.

Pickling takes long enough that you may as well just buy it from companies.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have had several friends tell me how racist Blazing Saddles is. I love this movie but I have never gotten that idea. It skewers racists and makes them look like fools. It takes stereotypes and uses those to make the racists look like idiots.

Hell, "the white Christian townspeople and cowboys look like fools" is as racist as it gets.

They probably thought stuff like this scene was genuine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRgoxWap-M

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

Back in my high school, we had 2 vending machines but the prices were ridiculous, like everything was $1.50 to $2.00 more than they'd be at a typical vending machine, and when you start out with things that are typically $0.50 to $1 that meant that practically no one ever used it.

I can only assume that there had been a contract term agreed to, and then the school district realized they didn't really want them there or kids to buy from it? It was bizarre.

There was some drama about vending machines at my high school and while I don't remember the specifics I think it was about getting soda out of them and only allowing gatorade and the like (which is still about as bad if you're not active but is better than just pepsi).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I would've thought it was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0aNxzF7MAk

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maarek posted:

No, there are several primary candidates who would be better presidents than her.

Only if you don't care about race or anything like that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ReidRansom posted:

How do you mean?

At least one of them is explicitly a Southern Democrat with all of the connotations that has and even Bernie Sanders has a "let's talk about anything but race" theme going on in his campaign.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maarek posted:

Carter's approval ratings were in the garbage largely because of something he couldn't control (The Civil Rights Movement), but his presidency was not a shining advertisement for the Democratic party, either.

ftfy

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maarek posted:

The point of my post wasn't that "Obama is using drones to blow people up" but "Obama is using drones to blow people up" as a thing that a lot of people who voted for him aren't in favor of and shouldn't be held accountable for. All the emphasis on the drones themselves is due to the fact that they are some crazy science fiction stuff and you'll probably need to wait a generation or so before people get used to robots whirring around lobbing bombs at people.

The secret is that people don't really care about blowing other people up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

A Winner is Jew posted:

Yeah, as much poo poo as we give that chain smoking oompa loompa most of it stems from him trying and failing to herd the feral cats formally known as tea partiers which is why he can't do poo poo to even push the GOP addenda. I mean I never thought I would have said this 5 years ago, but thank the tea party faction for being uncompromising true believers since that's been the major thing keeping the establishment GOP from actually passing horrible poo poo left and right.

And that's why unless you murder your opposition have the numbers to pass your agenda, you're going to have to compromise your position.

• Locked thread