Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Negromancer posted:

gently caress yea I want I corgi. Next dog is either going to be a corgi or something big like a bernese mountain dog, newfie or Leonberger.
:hfive: this is a good list of dogs and basically the same ones I'm looking at.

Tusen Takk posted:

yeah exactly, I'm only looking at breeders recommended by the AKC and none of the Web 2.0 breeder sites since I don't want a neurotic inbred dog haha. my mother in laws dog may be that, but since it's a cavachon (bishon frise or however it's spelled and King Charles ) it more than likely isn't and is possible a puppy mill dog :(
Once you figure out what breed you're looking for if you need info on breeders let me know. Mom breeds dogs and is on the road showing them most weekends, she knows the top breeders for every drat breed as well as the ones to avoid.

Adiabatic posted:

New girl is cooking me dinner tonight. We'e going out to eat with my family on Sunday and doing this cool Easter walk where everyone dresses up like they're in 1850's Savannah. Next Friday is my birthday and she's all excited about it. :3:

This next week is looking up!
:3:

Margarita date tonight, should be a good time and the weather is perfect for sitting on a patio drinking. I have no idea what I'm looking for but she seems pretty cool so far.

April might end up being a decent month this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

Awesome! My brother and sister in law are looking for German Shepherds, so if she knows any good breeders I'd love for them to not get an inbred dog like many GSD's tend to be :)

and if she knows any toy poodle breeders I'd love their information as well :3:
I'll send her an email and see if she has any recommendations.

kastein posted:

loving Justy threw a rod this morning. Hope it didn't destroy the balance shaft or anything else I don't have a spare of.

God drat it, it isn't even registered yet, I was just moving it from the side of the road into my yard. :argh:
Made it across the country just fine mostly then you felt the need to push your luck trying to off road it. drat hopefully you can fix it with all the spares you picked up along the drive.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kastein posted:

april fools suckaaaaaaa (it does have a hell of a rattle coming from the timing chain however, so the engine needs to be worked on regardless.)
Fucker Now it's really going to fail though.

Now I want a goofy little car you rear end. This thing popped up on BringATrailer...

http://www.japaneseclassicsllc.com/honda-city-turbo-ii.html

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 1, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

GoodbyeTurtles posted:

Buy it, buy it now. Does it come with one of those little motocompo scooters in the back?

If it came with the scooter I would be sitting at the airport on my way out there right now. Those loving scooters are worth a fortune. Dad goes over there (Japan) enough and knows enough people with our company and as customers I should really have him put out a feeler and see what pops up. We were planning on bringing back a Evo 2 E30 M3 from Japan last spring but it got sold out from under us.

I'm getting sick of driving a very reliable/efficient, somewhat comfortable and modernish car. I'm really getting the urge to daily drive something stupid for a while. Current options I'm looking at are the 320i track car (just needs exhaust, fenders rolled and suspension setup), the 524td (likely needs a head gasket and the timing unfucked) or finding/building a TDI swapped mk1 VW pickup. It looks like the MG is going to be later in the year though I'm going to try to swing by in May when I'm in the area.

edit: dog

Parents and dog stopped in Salt Lake to visit me on their way to California for a dog show. He's awesome.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 1, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Wait wait, is there another Salt Lake besides the one in Utah?
I was just out there for a week for an install. Will be back late May I think.

Cat Terrist posted:

:words:A Kelpie is the WRX Spec C of the dog world:words:
This wonderful post is being forwarded to my Mom and all her crazy dog show friends. :bravo: well done. I also kind of want a Kelpie now, I didn't know they existed before now.

T1g4h posted:

Also, this happened. gently caress I love the DLC cars :allears:
I also didn't know I needed this game :argh:

Margaritas on a patio was a very good idea. Great way to kill a few hours and she seemed like she had fun. But yup still terrible at this poo poo :bang:

Get home and brother is tearing off the front fender of his car because his window switch wire broke. I convinced him to just pop the door card off and roll it up, save the fender for this weekend.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Nice. If you're around for a Saturday morning and there is a Cars & Coffee venue sorted out we could meet up with the BMW crowd. We've got a pretty good enthusiast group out here.

We have cancelled C&C because it got huge (like 200 or 300 cars big) this spring, and with more people came the idiots that couldn't be arsed to throw away their garbage and were doing donuts/burnouts ruined it for everyone.
I'll try to remember to get in touch with you or at least post something in the current general bullshit flavor of the month thread when I head back out. Ship dates have slipped a few times so we'll see.

MrChips posted:

Oh poo poo a new Sheep Game just appeared! Follow the sheep in the truck to find the thread!

Hell yes sheep game

T1g4h posted:

Here, let me entice you further with gorgeous screenshots from the Monte Carlo stage!
Seriously, the game is gorgeous when you run it at 1080p maxed out. Complete edition is currently like, $24 I think? Well worth it.
Need to look into if my laptop will run it and if it will work with my steering wheel that I have yet to unbox and setup. I really need to motivate my rear end and build a mid range gaming PC and driving setup.

Lawnmower shopping this afternoon or tomorrow...not excited. I hate the lawn maintenance aspect of having a house. I'd pave or gravel the whole front yard if I could. Thought about going the pawn shop route but I think I'd rather pay the bit extra to get an engine I know isn't hosed.

Brother's stupid parts car is still in the driveway but now he's paying $5/day for 'storage'. I had someone lined up to take it away for free last week but he changed his mind at the last minute. I might go through it today and grab all the fuses, relays and easy to get nuts/bolts/fasteners.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Apr 2, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

T-Square posted:

Hey Nittospazzz I just won a bid war on a Fanatec CSR wheel and pedals, and they should be here next week. That's five of us with wheels and we're planning on playing Assetto Corsa and iRacing. Pretty sure I remember you mentioned you have a G27? You down?

Also, Grom chat: my dad has two of them. They rule so hard.

Edit: Durr, didn't see your previous post. Get that poo poo set up! Also anyone else who wants to race is welcome to join.

I might tack something together as a temporary solution and just see how hot my laptop can get before it starts throttling. Planning on picking up iRacing, Assetto Corsa and now Dirt3:argh:

Grom chat: they are fun, we 'raced' them around a track and it was the stupidest best fun I've had at the track in a while.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

drat that looks pretty nice. I still haven't decided on a work bench for the garage but may fix that this weekend.

Crap is this what VW Caddy's are going for these days - http://www.ebay.com/itm/321714256937 I mean sure it's been restored and has a swapped engine but that seems high, I'll admit I haven't been watching these that closely the last few years. I'd really like to track one of these things down again because it was the best fake truck I've had.

Friend is having a cook out tomorrow, he already has some stuff in the big green egg smoking for tomorrow night. I'm supplying brats from the butcher near my parents house in WI. Girl I matched with on Tinder then chatted for a while but never met just RSVP'd. I know better than to mention it to her but that should be fun.

drat mowers are expensive. I'm tempted to just have the neighbor kid cut it again this year.

Interstellar just popped up for $5 to rent on Amazon streaming. Worth it?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phone posted:

I decided to watch Big Hero 6, The Everything Theory, Imitation Game, and a bunch of Japanese food TV shows versus watching Interstellar on the plane.

InitialDave posted:

It's a beautifully shot film that isn't even close to being as good or smart as it thinks it is.

I found new episodes of Top Gear (Season 21) on netflix, that takes priority over everything else. I'll wait for the sister in law or her dad to buy it on whatever service they buy every loving movie on. drat that Alfa 4C is a cool little car, still waiting on the local Alfa shop to get one in for me to test drive. I won't buy one new but the salesman offered a test drive in one if I take him out in the M5.

Should be interesting to see how the 4C compares on reliability over the next 5 or so years. :italy:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 3, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phone posted:

Top Gear sucks and any season past like 13 is garbage. Watch Roadkill instead.
You shut your dirty whore mouth

Siochain posted:

Wrong time of year. Pay the kid for this summer, then grab a mower on end-of-summer clearance (if you're somewhere that has an end to summer). Or hunt around and see if any place has a "last years floor model" for cheap - we got our snowblower for almost $800 off that way. Still had full warranty, and hasn't given us any problems.
May do this. Think I'm going to pay him for a while and see what pops up on craigslist or something.

ilkhan posted:

Well I have a 2nd date tonight.
Have fun

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 3, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

So I took your guys recommendation and checked out some shelters, and lo and behold, we found a Lab/Husky/German Shepherd mix. We're picking him up tomorrow after I get off work :3:

My brother and sister in law already got his little brother :D
Hell yes that should be a great dog. Congrats on the new best buddy. Please fill snapchat and this thread with puppy pictures.

fjelltorsk posted:

So, since selling the G, the Lancia, the Volvo bimoto and my Suzukis i have been without a project to wrench on. Three weeks ago i ordered a ls7 crate engine. Matching 6 speed gearbox and a pair of garret gt35s. Yesterday we found the perfect car to put it in.
Goals are:
1200hp
Leather and fur
ls7 rolls or bentley...are those even :britain: If you make a thread please link it in here. Turbo R works

Diet chat: Monitor your calories and lift, run, whatever if you feel like it. I just lift 3 or more times a week then eat ~5k minimum. Thanks to this (and my hosed up gut) I look less like poo poo and have been sitting at the same weight for the past ~6 months despite my body fat percentage decreasing. Finally seeing abs poking through :3:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

For those not on snapchat...

They didn't believe me it would fit when I pulled up. Would have fit better the other way but oh well. Apparently even with the Cayenne no one has loaded anything this large into a P car at that Lowes. I'm a special kind of idiot.

Fart Pipe posted:

As in Brock Samson? Hmm, thats hard to compete with but Stitch is fireproof and bulletproof, and hes really strong :colbert:
Adding Stitch to potential dog name list.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The M5 came with a hideous radio head unit. The rest of the stereo install is decent and will likely stay but I need a head unit that matches the rest of the car. Are there any companies that make head units that look like mid/late 80's BMW style but would function with a newer audio install? Basically I don't want a big screen, a bunch of lights and graphics.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Bluetooth isn't a requirement just a feature that would be kind of nice to have. I'll have to find somewhere local I can see Blaupunkt in person to see how boring/dim I can make it. Those Nakamishi's are nice, never heard of them until now...$1700 for a head unit though. It's strange because there's a decent selection for older radios that match cars from the 50's and stuff but nothing really for the period between that and the flashy poo poo that's popular now.

1500quidporsche posted:

There's no anything friendly radio units anymore. Aside from Blaupunkt everything else looks like it belongs in a riced out 90s honda civic. I'm convinced there's a huge market for somebody to design a halfway decent head unit with a simple utilitarian design that doesn't flash blue, red and orange lights every time you turn on your car.
Agreed, it seems a company like Blaupunkt could easily take some of their old designs and add in features while having them look the same and completely dominate the market.

I mean Porsche supposedly sells this for $700 which is pretty awesome.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 4, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Cage posted:

Speaking of bimmers I'm just curious, did you ever put those bmw sticker stripes on anything?

I'll be putting a set one the E21 and likely a set on the M5.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

A maybe 10 year old kid just totally caught me checking out his incredibly hot mom's rear end. He looked so disappointed in me.
Some day he'll understand.

Tusen Takk posted:

meet rascal :3:
Good bye sleep and sanity...hello awesome puppy. Congrats again.

Comrade Flynn posted:

It's me. I have the best taste in color.
That is a pretty drat good color. I'm back to basic 2x black, 3x silver cars but now I'm wondering what the 320i would look like in that blue.

some texas redneck posted:

Got hired without ever picking up the phone, newold boss saw my application come through (for a different store, I guess every store in a certain radius gets a copy?) and IM'd me on Facebook. Said he'd check with his boss about rehiring me, woke up to this today:

Sucks Jeff's didn't work out for you, this one looks like it's off to a good start.

Holy poo poo I ate so much food last night and don't regret any of it. Friend made brats, ribs, pulled pork, lamb and something else in his Big Green Egg. Local restaurant owner brought over some awesome bacon potato salad and other sides. Good day to sit around the grill then later the fire sampling rum, scotch, whiskey and a few different beers.

Time to play with my new mower. Pretty sure it's a sign I'm getting old when I'm excited about a lawn mower.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Just got back from the new F&F. It was pretty good.

Surprised to see a metric chassis in there though.

Just got back from watching it. Was everything I expected and hoped for. Over the top, cheesy as hell, lots of cars and women for eye candy. The Paul Walker tribute at the end was very nice

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

T1g4h posted:

I am far too stoked about this sticker pack.
I missed out on these, tried to buy a pack for next years AISS.

Terrible Robot posted:

My phone (5c) has decided that keeping accurate time is beneath it. I thought it was a little weird when my only alarm went off twice this morning, and now it is about an hour and ten minutes slow, but it'll randomly lose several minutes occasionally or gain them back.
My laptop decided to start doing this poo poo today. Time has jumped back and forth a few times between time zones so I don't know wtf is going on. Annoying but not as bad as a phone if you're using it as an alarm clock.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

fjelltorsk posted:

I feel forward because i feel asleep in the shower. split my eyebrow open and fractured my nose. Talked to my oncologist, and we figured we should probably do blood transfusions after every radiation treatment. I look like a loving pirate now.
Blood transfusions would be a good idea. Nothing like standing there then coming to a few minutes later wondering wtf just happened. If you do this in the Emergency room you do get rushed to the front of the line which is kind of nice.

Hang in there.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

IOC, that's what I was hoping. They said valium, milk of amnesia, and then the next thing I'll know is what the recovery room looks like. Off to surgery now.
I've had local anesthesia for biopsies, tests, scopes and other poo poo I'd guess at least 30 times now. I never remember anything and always wake up feeling pretty decent. Local is pretty decent for knocking you out enough you don't have to deal with it but not leaving you hosed up too badly afterwards. I'm usually ready to go get some food within an hour or less of waking up. General anesthesia on the other hand tends to gently caress with the body a bit more, I always felt like poo poo for several hours afterwards especially for longer operations.

Pham Nuwen posted:

So there's that once a week... and burritos down at the taqueria, or Indian buffet... goddamn I love work lunch, but if I eat out at lunch I have to be a lot more careful what I eat for dinner.
I've always brought lunch to work and think I've eaten from the on site cafeteria once (breakfast) in the last almost 6 years. Germany on the other hand I ate at the cafe for lunch every day because the food was really good and the portions were massive. Then I'd go out to dinner every night. The hotel I was at also had excellent breakfasts. I ate so much food over there, if it was anyone else they would have come back at least 20lb heavier I swear.

Rhyno posted:

My ex (who put on 40lbs in the first year we lived together) lost her loving mind when I joined a gym. It got so bad that I had to quit going after two months because all she did was bitch about how she wasn't good enough anymore and other terrible poo poo.
I feel bad for laughing but my brother's wife is ballooning up at a pretty unhealthy rate because all she does is sleep, watch movies and eat lovely food. She constantly gives me poo poo about my diet (lots of meat, milk, potatoes), tracking my calories and working out. I feel really bad because it's starting to really bug my brother and wear on him, he's visibly unhappy with things but is afraid to say anything. Not a good situation, poor fool.

Looks like the cable modem is going on lock down again. Already used almost half my monthly budget and we're 1/3 of the way through. That and her sitting up until 4am watching movies (waking me up) then sleeping all day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Local anesthesia refers to a specific body part, and specifically is a type of anesthesia that doesn't affect consciousness.
Damnit yeah good call. Whatever it is when they partially knock you out or whatever is what I meant. Twilight or something maybe?

Darchangel posted:

That's some class-A lack of consideration or appreciation right there. I mean, you're basically letting them stay for free, right? I had to get rid of some now-ex-friends (a "married" coupe) because of poo poo like that. I give 'em a place to stay while they get back on their feet and then they bitch about me wanting them to clean up their mess and do the dishes, for gently caress's sake.
Yup they don't pay anything. They got pissed at their old roommate that they were staying with because they heard he referred to them as white trash behind their backs...he was so loving right. Dishes and the kitchen island are a constant issue as well as cleaning up after themselves in general. At this point they are very close to getting kicked out.

CharlesM posted:

My dog would just follow you around drooling :D
You guys aren't helping me in not getting a dog. Spent some time today looking at what's available locally for adoption. Really close to getting in touch with a few of the rescue groups. Is there any other site than petfinder.com I could be browsing at work?

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 9, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

goatse guy posted:

I've had several cars with clean Carfaxes and accidents on the Autocheck, and the other way around. It's best to pull both if you're worried.

A PPI will tell you way more than either of those either could, but customers have been trained to believe that the CarFax is the end-all be-all of car history and the only important thing.

From the cars I've shopped over the last few years carfax is iffy at best, autocheck is fairly decent but nothing beats a PPI done by someone who knows the brand/model.

Was looking at a car last fall that I wasn't going to have time to fly out and see unless it was to drive it back. Carfax and autocheck was spotless. Found a local independant shop that knew the model and convinced the seller to take it there for a PPI. Shop called me before it even went on the lift and told me it had been in at least one wreck, sent me a bunch of photos of lovely repairs and non vin matching panels.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tommychu posted:

You say that like Husky House isn't a thing. 24 hours, better coffee, a little bit cheaper and usually quicker (depending on time/staff/location, but their menu is a hell of a lot simpler and they tend to hold staff for at least a decade so they tend to be a lot more competent, at least at the Calgary one). The food's a bit more divey, but it's grease and salt and carbs either way so it's more of a presentation thing.
One of the best things about being on call was the ability to do 2AM Husky trips in the middle of a 20-30 hour shift.

In the south it's Waffle Awful House. Greasy, salty goodness 24 hours a day. Pick your time right and you'll see cops sitting just down the counter from prostitutes ending their shift. Food is hit or miss at best but it's a staple down here.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

KozmoNaut posted:

And now I sound all superficial, I guess.
I'm superficial and shallow but I offset it with being sarcastic and fun to be around most of the time. I prefer "fit chicks" or at least someone who is active and takes care of themselves. I figure if I work out, don't eat like poo poo and try to improve myself there's no reason I can't expect the same.

Cars and Coffee today. Should be a good turnout, 1100+ people RSVP'd on facebook which means parking is going to fill up fast. Starts at 8 so I didn't plan on leaving until 7:45 or so at the earliest. Brother is working it (his dealership chain is hosting) so they were up at 5am...which means I was up at 5am because they are loud as hell. Oh well who needs sleep.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

DAD'S GIVING ME HIS CAR I AM SO EXCITED

2000 Golf TDI, 314K. ALLLL MINE
2000 Golf TDI buds :hfive: Great cars, mines given me no trouble despite me treating it like a little pickup truck. Mine was a hand-me-down as well.

Cars and coffee was nuts this morning. It officially starts at 8am, we arrived at 7:30 and were in the overflow parking. Estimates are 3200 cars showed up. I got half way there before realizing I left my camera sitting on the kitchen counter so no pictures other than the couple I snapchatted. Great variety of cars, decent donuts and perfect weather.

Decided to start watching Firefly.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

T-Square posted:

Successfully got day-drunk with half of the dealership employees I work with today at the Brewers game. My boss was loving hammered and made an rear end of herself, it was great. I literally did not watch one minute of the ball game.
Don't gently caress your boss

T-Square posted:

Also: wearing a BMW Motorsport sweatshirt to a Toyota dealership work-function :smug:
I somehow have zero BMW apparel.

Rhyno posted:

I don't remember it being that bad when I previously drove it. But to be fair, since it was Dad's car I usually took it pretty easy on it.
I'd be a little careful with a 300k+ mile TDI. I mean they take boost well and everything but I've considered upgrading mine but it's at 250k+ and I'd rather not rebuild or replace the engine/drivetrain/etc. Toss on some decent tires, upgrade the suspension a bit and enjoy it like that for a while. Chip if you feel the need to modify, I'm still thinking about doing this on mine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Shampoo posted:

Ugh. On the hunt for a new job out near my folks and in-laws (Albany NY area). Current work got wind I was looking and no matter how much I say "I'm not looking for another job around here, I like it here" I'm now dead to them. Career fallen off a cliff. The most annoying part is that Albany doesn't have a lot of positions open for what I do, so I've been on the hunt a long time (more than a year) and people don't get that I want to relocate so they're like "Why are you applying, you live in Boston??" Doesn't help that the glut of entry level IT guys means that everyone wants a cheapo contractor and any permanent positions start at half what I'm making now.
What is your field/specialty? We have two positions open in NY. PM me or whatever.

SFH1989 posted:

The NY Auto Show was fun. The new Ford GT looks way better in person.

How? It looks loving amazing in pictures IMO.

Ah dealing with vendors is fun. They sent us misconfigured things, somehow it slipped through the cracks for way too drat long. I noticed it early last week and put in a ticket mentioning we needed the correct parts asap. They shipped them Friday which would have been good except they sent them ground hold for pickup...to the site. So now the parts are in some shipping limbo and I can't do anything because I didn't send them. Yay logistics.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MrChips posted:

Cards Against Humanity is a seriously good tool for judging people; if I have to spend an inordinate amount of time explaining the joke, I don't know what else to say. On a semi-related note, I want someone who isn't afraid to make their opinions known; now, that's not to say I want to date a total nag, but don't be afraid to call me out if I need it...god only knows I need it a lot :v:.
Cards Against Humanity really is great for that as well as being a great game. I think I'll be doing a drinks, CAH and movie night later this week. Only downside is playing CAH with only two people doesn't really work well.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Also, any one on snap chat get on there for some train snaps. First one is mediocre but the second on has some lovely diesel idle.
Sweet train snaps are always good.

Cat Terrist posted:

I'm the sole Windows server admin over 27 countries and 130 sites.
drat I'll never complain about my couple systems and other systems I babysit and help out on.

Availability is 30 hours a week, but at max, 4 days a week. Since I put in my 2 weeks, I've been hit with 45 hours a week, 6 days a week.
gently caress Jets. Seriously don't let them pull that poo poo to you. At most work your 30 hours then tell them to gently caress off. You turned in your two week and they're seeing what they can get away with, gently caress them.

Local dealership had a couple of these at cars and coffee this weekend for people to look at and attempt to sit in. Watching people attempt to get in and out of them was entertaining. Salesman is going to give me a call when he has a slow day so I can take one for a spin even though he knows I have no intent in buying one.

I think the WRL/Chump team I'm on has gone crazy. We're registered for races in Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Illinois and West Virginia...we're based in West Central Wisconsin. I'm just waiting for our tow vehicle to break down driving to/from one of these races.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phone posted:

kintetsu semi-express to nagoya:

hikari shinkansen towards hiroshima:

trains own.
Trains do own. Trains in Germany were excellent and I miss having that as an option for long trips. Hop on, eat a bit then take a nap and wake up at your destination. It's like a train without all the TSA bullshit.

iwentdoodie posted:

The Wal-Mart where I grew up had great mechanics.

Because once they opened, almost all of the mom and pops had to shut down :(
Pretty much the same here. A couple were able to stay open but only because they had the fleet contracts in town.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I somehow have zero BMW apparel.
From earlier this month...this has been fixed. Yay closeouts.

If anyone was thinking about picking up a steering wheel for iRacing or whatever here's the G27 for $150 - http://slickdeals.net/f/7795183-logitech-g27-racing-wheel-pre-order-150-free-shipping Best price I've seen.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I had very little interest in this game until you guys start posting stuff like this. Now it's on my wishlist :argh:

There's a pretty neat online clone of Cards Against Humanity. The local Alamo Drafthouse Cinema also hosts CAH in their bar once a week.
CAH online...nice. If there was a bar around here that did a CAH night they would get my money.

88h88 posted:

I just really can't be arsed to go to the gym these days.
I make myself lift as soon as I wake up. If I don't I would skip workouts and eventually quit because by the time I get home from work I don't want to do poo poo. Alarm goes off, slam preworkout, get dressed and go lift.

KozmoNaut posted:

Join some kind of team or class, and/or get some workout buddies. It really helps when you can motivate each other.
That helps a lot as well. I haven't been able to find anyone willing to workout in my garage at 4am yet :(

Work bitching... We noticed a couple weeks ago a vendor sent us some equipment misconfigured, 8gb memory total instead of the 64gb we were charged for. How this made it through testing, factory trials and acceptance I have no idea. Took them a week to ship the memory we were supposed to have and they shipped it to the wrong place. Finally picked up the parts yesterday and get ready to put them in this morning. They didn't send enough to fill the empty slots and they are a different vendors memory so it won't play nice with the stuff we have. Damnit get your poo poo together vendors :fuckoff:

Hey possibly stupid question. Are all O2 sensors the same thread pitch and size? I'll eventually be running one on the 320i and need a bung welded onto my headers.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 15, 2015

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The Jabberwocky posted:

Me too. Buy a bench or a cage for your garage/bedroom and use the guilt of spending the money to force you to work out. Works wonders for me :v:
Garage, basement or spare bedroom gyms are the best gyms. Other than the temperature at times I love everything about my basic garage setup.

kastein posted:

Almost all of them are M18x1.5 thread but there are some exceptions I think. I'd order the sensor and measure before having it welded.
Probably a good idea. Need to figure out one I'm going to be running with Megasquirt then go from there.

Terrible Robot posted:

Another Wednesday, another tire stabbed to death on my work van. This time they also got 5 out of 6 tires on the box truck as well, and another coworker's van to boot. Also they smashed out a few windows in one of our outlying storage houses. This is the third week in a row that this poo poo has happened, it's getting real old.
No security cameras or anything? At some point they've got to realize how much time and money that crap is costing them.

One of the customers I work with has a nice collection of old cars, saw his Corvette and pickup this weekend. He called me to his office when I got in this morning to show me his next project. 1978 (I think) Jaguar XJ that was parked in 1984, 40k miles on it. Apparently the guy took amazing care of it but had a heart attack one day shortly after getting home from work so the car has sat untouched. No rust just layers of dust, paint is in great shape, interior looks spotless, engine bay looks drat clean for a car that's sat for 30 years. They're picking it up in the next couple weeks, I'll likely be helping with this and getting the thing running. Price paid $1000

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kastein posted:

Most aftermarket AFR/wbO2 systems seem to use an LSU 4.2 Bosch sensor. I'm annoyed by the prospect of paying several hundred dollars for a silly looking box with barrier strips instead of real connectors however so I'm working on designing my own LSU 4.9 interface since I found some LSU 4.9 wideband sensors on rockauto for $21 on clearance a while ago. :getin:

Unless you just want a regular old style narrowband, in which case search on rockauto for:
Part Group: Emission
Part Type: Oxygen Sensor

Then look through the results till you find a 4 wire that's got a connector you recognize. They're automatically sorted by price. I don't believe narrowband sensors really vary that much in calibration between makes/models, but I could be wrong, if so, make sure to verify the one you choose is megasquirt compatible or expect to have to come up with your own calibration curve for it.
Ideally I'll be buying a "plug and play" setup off a guy who is eventually doing a M42 swap that may come with an O2 sensor but otherwise I'll just go with whatever cheap one megasquirt recommends. The less calibration and poo poo I have to do the better.

The Locator posted:

So March 15th was the last day that I didn't work at least 8 hours (it was an autocross day), and it's finallly caught up with my old, out of shape self. Just completely exhausted, even though the work isn't physically demanding (I'm a software QA guy), staring at XML 12 hours a day just wears me out. I don't think I've had a day without my eye muscles twitching and a headache for the last two weeks.

Today I took a sick day and plan to do absolutely nothing but mess around playing games and watching the last season of Game of Thrones that I've had on the counter for a month now. I might read a bit of an old fashioned book too, and take a nap.
Your eyes would likely enjoy a break as well. I get this occasionally thanks to spending all day looking at computer screens. Naps and sitting outside avoiding screens helps me the most.

Yay off to fix more broken hardware. They say software can't break hardware...I have a pile of hardware that says otherwise.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Cage posted:

Its supposed to rain on monday and that makes me not want to wash my car even though I could use it.

I should also do my front brakes, as they're lowish and my car wants to go right when I brake. But lazy.

Rain all week so far so all the cars are filthy. Friday and Saturday look nice but more rain on Sunday...don't think cars will be washed. Yay spring I guess. Drove the VW in yesterday, something in the left front sounds terrible so that's not going anywhere until I can take a look at it. Wheel bearing has been making noise for a long time but now it sounds like something is dragging or grinding. Nothing hanging underneath and nothing visible with the wheel on so if Fri/Sat is decent I'll be tearing into that. I'm considering just bringing it to a shop for wheel bearings, shock mounts and shocks. I like working on cars but not the VW.

If I don't feel lazy I should have some nice pictures this weekend. Thinking of doing a very early morning run down Tail of the Dragon, eating at the resort then a loop around the Cherohala skyway with the M3. Haven't had a weekend with nice weather and not on-call in a very very long time. Need to talk to some of the locals and see how much sand and crap is on the road.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Oh gently caress yes

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Paid off my school loan yesterday! :toot:
That has got to be a great feeling. Congrats

InitialDave posted:

My vote is for "loving magnets".
AKA loving magic

ExplodingSims posted:

So, in good-ish news, I had my big interview with the large mechanical contractor around here. Turns out the guy interviewing me was one of the judges I met at the SkillsUSA contest a few months back, which I had won, so that made feel better.
Congrats man, that should be a pretty sweet gig.

Yup taking an M car to the mountains Saturday, think I'm going to have a navigator :3: Hope she doesn't get car sick.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Sometimes I hate being right. 928 is not charging but I drove it in this morning anyway. Barely started after work then died as I rolled into the hospital parking lot for blood work. ETA on tow truck is at least 1.5 hours. gently caress

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

kastein posted:

I think my favorite wiring fire issue has to be the F150 one that burns the truck to the ground, however.
That's just to make the owners feel like they're driving something more exotic. Super cars burn to the ground all the time so the F150 is like a super car.

CommieGIR posted:

And I'm willing to admit that VW makes and has made some garbage, I just get sick of the whole ragging on VWs and Audis.

I like my cars.
AI likes to bitch about VW because it's fairly easy and at this point it's an ongoing joke. I've had good luck with my VW's as has the rest of my family. Audi's have been good as well except for one that went back under lemon law because it had so many issues. I like my slow little VW.

Bajaha posted:

I've got this weird mental break where I don't like VW but love Audi. It's absurd, but there it is.

(Although Audi ownership scares me still)
I'll admit Audi has some amazing new cars and they've done a lot to improve the looks but yeah the thought of owning an newer than mid 90's Audi to me is fairly terrifying. That said the R8 is a loving monster and I love it.

Had planned on heading to the mountains today with my brother in the E30's to play for a few hours. Last night, after he cooked us and her Dad dinner, she decided he wasn't going. Lots of arguing and bullshit later he's still not going because she's a bitch. Poor stupid bastard had no idea what he was getting himself into when he married her.

I'm leaving in the next 20 minutes or so. Going to be a beautiful day in the mountains, think there's a R32 group and a RX7 group down there this weekend.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Made it 20 miles then GDCS. Came around a corner, accelerated and massive cloud of steam in the mirror. loving old cars.

2nd tow in less than 24 hours.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Your cars just have Spring throw-parts-at-it Fever.
Sure seems that way.

T-Square posted:

I saw your snap and immediately went "Noooooooo!" :(
I did the same when I accelerated out of the corner then saw the could behind me.

Friend runs a towing company so he came and picked me up, towed all the way back to the house. He's a BMW and E30 nut so it was a good time. I'm happy it didn't happen on the Tail of the Dragon or other twisty road full of motorcycles. Time to see how good Grundy's towing reimbursement is.

I cursed myself yesterday...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I went to an Audi meet this weekend...it was all 2000+ cars, I was the only car older than 10 years. Everybody looked at my 90 20v Quattro funny and kept asking if it was actually an Audi. :smith:
This is what our cars and coffee is turning into. We had 3200 cars last meet, I would guess less than a quarter of that were older than 2000 models. The dealership that hosts it brings out 20 or so of their new cars and have their recent customers come out as well so it's largely just new audi/porsche/jag/infiniti/etc that the dealership chain carries. Then you have the sadly stereotypical Lamborghini and Ferrari owners who you can spot because they start to rush toward you if you get within a foot of their car. We still have a few vintage clubs but they get pushed off to the side. Would be nice to organize another meet for cars of a certain vintage or have a theme for each event but people would bitch because they couldn't bring their car.

Was able to source a new OEM radiator for the M3 that should be here early next week. Dealership wanted 480, sent an email to a couple M3 shops and one will send me one for 280. Could go aluminum for about $30 cheaper but I'm just going to go with OEM. Going to have them send me all new hoses as well since I'm already in there. Think while I have everything apart I'm going to pull the valve cover to check those and refinish the cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

SuperDucky posted:

Also, also, the mitty is this weekend. I have to work saturday so I didn't pay for the BMWCCA corral but I'll be there sunday. If you're in the Southeast and love RoadATL or you've never been there, check it out, looks like its gonna be great fun!
http://www.roadatlanta.com/the-mitty
I might make it but after the poo poo last weekend I'm not sure anymore. I'll post something in here if I do.

honkykong posted:

I just drove home a '12 Focus HB Titanium with 33,333 miles on it.

Yell at me, make fun of me, whatever I don't care. This is awesome to car deprived me.
Nice ride man, those are great little cars.

blk posted:

My landlord tossed me the keys to his M100 Elan tonight and we took it out through some twisties - anyone who poopoos this car because it's FWD should really drive it before judging. Zero torque steer, zero understeer, insane amount of grip and stability - I was going through corners much faster than I had any right to and certainly faster than the Miata. So. Much. Fun.
I'm more of a fan of the first generation ones but any old Lotus is a lot of fun to drive.

Pop chat: I usually just drink water but recently started having one pop/soda/juice a day. I like the flavor and the calories are helpful in my case but I did see a pretty immediate effect on my midsection. Doubt I'll be drinking it for long...I'll stick with water, beer and liquor.

Printers: gently caress printers. We have three in our little office and my laptop will randomly decide which one isn't going to work for a week or two then it changes. It probably doesn't help I run the absolute minimum amount of software possible for printers. HP puts so much poo poo on when all you want is drivers.

Got a text from my brother shortly after getting to work today. His E30 made a strange sound then died, he suspects timing belt. WTF that's three cars since Friday.

• Locked thread