Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I've started looking for a new job because I can't stand working for my parents any longer. I came across an ad for a diesel mechanic for Canadian Pacific, working on diesel locomotives and I'm thinking about applying for it. From what the ad says I could probably enter as a trainee, and work my way up from there. Working on trains sound super loving cool to me, but apart from that I know next to nothing about the locomotive industry. Any AI goons have high praise (or warnings)?

[edit] Apart from the diesel mechanic certifications, I may be way over qualified for this job.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Got my second visit with a counselor today. Kind of nervous about it, not sure if I should keep going. Don't know why I'm telling you guys, but I gotta tell someone and I don't really trust anyone else, so what better way than tell a bunch of strangers right? LOGIC! :science:

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
The wife is tired of driving my GTI and wants a crossover for her next car. :(

Her criteria is:
- takes 87 octane
- is a crossover
- automatic
- cute

So I'm thinking probably Rav4 or CRV or Forester or something similar. Any recommendations?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Pham Nuwen posted:

Recommendations? Sever. :v:

seriously though I don't know anything about crossovers because they are the worst cars and I don't pay them any attention

I told her already if she wanted a minivan I was going to divorce her. I also know nothing about CUV's but I think all she wants is a driving appliance so I'm just going to get whatever unless I can find something even mildly interesting. They still offer the STI engines in the Forester XT right?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Cat Terrist posted:

No, a castrated WRX motor. Also with soft rear end suspension, a CVT and all the driving enjoyment of loving a dead hooker. The modern XT is just not in any way a mildly interesting car anymore.

:(

meatpimp posted:

RAV4 with the V6 will haul way more balls than something like that ever should.

Juke for comedy option (my wife loves hers and it is remarkably eager to play).

I will consider this.

on a sidenote, Nissan didn't actually sell that GT-R engined Juke thing did they? I think I read somewhere it was just an engineering project.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Cat Terrist posted:

No, it became a very limited production car. As much as the GTR leaves me cold, Nissan doing something that batshit insane shows there is hope left

Shame, I'd buy that in a heartbeat (not that I could afford it). I love stupid engineering projects like that.

iwentdoodie posted:

For what it's worth, my wife loves her Escape. 2.0 with tow package. Until we got to California it averaged 30mpg, and did 23-25 with a ~3.5k trailer behind it.

I think if I bought a Ford my father would never talk to me again.

I sat in one at the auto show, and I really didn't like it. Everything felt cramped and squished together and the seat was mega uncomfortable. Also I'd only get a newer one, their last gen happy face design is really unappealing to me.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I need a new job, I'm not cut out for this one but I have no idea what else I could do. What does it take to get a networking tech certification? I used to do networking QA in video games and quite enjoyed that.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I waterboard all animals I can find. The more helpless they are the worse they get it.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Been waiting in this kal tire for about an hour now waiting for my mom's car to get a puncture repaired.

I hate this.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, playoff hockey starts tonight! gently caress you, liver. And Nashville fans.

The Vancouver Canucks are the worst team in the league. They're the reason I don't watch hockey anymore. I hope they get swept.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Hockey is a dumb sport to give retarded meatheads in their brodozers something to talk about because they don't have any real opinions on anything else.

But what do I know, I like F1.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
An ex co-worker of mine works at Rockstar and I am vehemently reaming him out for the lack of foresight his shitball company has for only having one download server to serve the entire planet. I've been downloading GTA V for about 10 hours now and it's still not done.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
CUV update:

I got some feedback from the wife about what she is looking for in a CUV. She basically wants a taller version of her previous cars. Something which she describes "let's me go "Shoom!" past everyone else". Here is every car she's owned:

- Mini Cooper S
- Honda Civic Type R
- Mercedes SLK 200 Kompressor
- My MKV VW GTI (what she drives now)

So I guess my options are to either get one of the previous gen Forester XT's, or mod the poo poo out of say a Tiguan, or a CRV or something. I'm pretty happy about this.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

ssjonizuka posted:

Tremek opened my eyes to early model porsche cayennes... I mean, if you want to go bonkers insane. I was sorely tempted until I started thinking about regular $300 oil changes.

A used Tiguan is kind of the upper limit of what I can afford. Besides I'm familiar with VW's, and a simple chip will put a Tiguan up to 230ish hp. Add in some suspension stuff, and I bet I could make it handle close to the GTI. I mean it'll never be exact because it's bigger and taller, but there are improvements to be made.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 17, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sigma X posted:

Cayenne prices drop like a 105-lb weaking socked on the jaw by Ali. If you don't mind getting a ~5 yr old one, you can find a GTS for under 30K, a base for under 25.

Hahaha I live in Vancouver. Prices here don't drop, they stay the same or go up.

Here is a 2010 Cayenne GTS, 111,000km - $48,000. This was the cheapest I could find on CL. I could get a new fully loaded Tiguan for less.

Meatpimp/Mungtor: I floated the idea of a V6 Rav 4, she said she didn't like the interior.

[edit] forgot to include the link: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ctd/4917790699.html

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

InitialDave posted:

In all seriousness, what about an SRT Grand Cherokee?

She said the Grand Cherokee is too big, and this is part of the issue. All of the full size SUV's are too big for her because she's used to driving tiny hot hatchbacks for the last 15 years. She wants the smaller ones like a CRV/Rav4/Tiguan/Cherokee. But nobody makes hopped up versions of those.

Otherwise yeah, I'd probably rock an SRT8 Grand Cherokee, or something of the like.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sigma X posted:

A cheap vehicle with a torquey v6 or turbo I4 with a high h-point, but that doesn't feel "large". I'm not really aware of any.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I've started to look into what can be done to a K24, EA113, or similar.

I'm going to get her to test drive an SRT8 Grand Cherokee though, for sure.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

CommieGIR posted:

And I'm willing to admit that VW makes and has made some garbage, I just get sick of the whole ragging on VWs and Audis.

I like my cars.

I like VW's too. You're not alone.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

ExplodingSims posted:

It's capable, but my build is close to 9 years old at this point, and is finally starting to chug under some new games, so I figure it's time to upgrade some of the hardware.
Looks I'm for about $700 build or so. If I can another 9-10 years of a new build, I;ll be happy.

I have a ~3 year old CPU, but just installed a gtx 970 and I'm running GTA V on ultra at 60fps. So it won't take much just don't skimp on the GPU.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Dude in a brodozer flipped me off in the middle of a subdivision. I guess he saw me shaking my head in disgust.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Honda doing some super cool F1 tech

Though I don't understand how an axial flow compressor gives less peak pressure than a conventional turbo. Aren't normal jet engines designed to run at ungodly high pressures?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sigma X posted:

Jet engines work quite a bit worse when their outlets are obstructed.

The outlet isn't obstructed. The hot side of the turbo turns the MGU-H, which then turns the axial. The compressed air from the axial is then dumped into the intake with ducting.

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

I have worshipped at the alter of Sound, and I have heard the song of the death of all existence.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sunn's motto is Maximum Volume Yields Maximum Results, tunes a portion of their subs to sub-audible frequencies just to push air and shake your bones, and tries to exceed 150+dB at their shows so its either Noise Marines or the closest thing to Disaster Zone we are humanly able to achieve.

Hahaha that is awesome.

I used to work on the Dawn of War series and when we included Noise Marines (in Retribution I think?) there was a large contingent of the studio fighting for making all of the gun SFX the loudest, dirtiest, blackest guitar and bass solos we could create. I think one of the producers stepped in after a couple of months of arguing and made it the warbly bullshit it is.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I keep reading about engine swaps on old Datsun's.

Help me AI.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

......to decide exactly how many more cylinders than stock to go?

...Prevent a bad decision. I don't have the money, space, skill or tools to pull this off, but at the same time:

Fuuck
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
I know nothing about these things but fuuuuuuuuuuck that looks cool

I need to build a shop.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Raluek posted:

Personally, I'd want the first one, since it's rattier and you'd have to do some choppin' to make things fit. I'd feel bad about desecrating the second one; it's too nice. Also, what are emissions like in your area? Here in CA, both those Datsuns are too new to be smog exempt, so you'd have a lot more hassle with any engine swapping.

There is no smog system here.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Anybody know of a good, simple steaming box that has ethernet? It's for my father so it needs to be pretty simple to use. All of the big name ones I've found are wifi only, and the Amlogic/Android boards on amazon are probably too complex for him (plus the netflix app on those is built for android and is finicky when you try to use it with a normal remote). Oh I'm also in Canada so the Fire TV is a no go.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Roku it is then! Thanks guys.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tide posted:

(80").

Dude, why not just get a projector? You can get bigger than an 80" picture for way less than what an 80" tv costs.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
Will any HDMI -> composite Y/Pb/Pr converter strip out HDCP? Or do I have to buy one of those cheap chinese splitters first?

[edit] "If you are in a plane travelling at 300mph and you jump in the air, you end up in the back of the plane." An actual thing my dad just said. :eng99: I've been trying to explain to him for 10 mins how Newton's 1st law works.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 22, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
gently caress

Left my loving keys in my wife's car, and only realized it as she was going down the driveway. I ran down the street waving at her but she didn't see me, she also didn't answer her phone until she got to work so I had to walk to work today and now I look at the weather report and it's supposed to rain.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Terrible Robot posted:

That sucks, tell your wife she should check her mirrors more often :v:

I had plans to go get fitted for a motorcycle helmet today as well. :(

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Ferremit posted:

Phablets and phones with a huge screen are a liability if your not working in an office environment too- something bout the size of an iPhone 5 is about the limit you want to go or it's just too easy to smash screens bumping into things getting in and out of trucks and machinery or working on the ground. Half my coworkers have big phones. Coincidently most of my co workers have a screen repair company's number memorised.

I've had my Nexus 4 going strong since the day it was released. Battery still holds a charge, couple scratches on the screen and the back, but neither the front or back glass has ever broken.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Arriviste posted:

I wish that addiction was simply a matter of willpower; however, it isn't. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances and, like other addictions, it takes dealing with both the physical and psychological dependencies as you wait for your brain to return to normal.

-- an addiction & recovery educator and counselor-in-training who has kicked other substances but still smokes. Last year I stopped for six months, even.

(feel free to take this with a grain of salt, I'm not a professional.)

I quit smoking cold turkey about 3 years ago. Tried many times before and failed. The reason why I succeeded this time was because I had a reason to not smoke that was greater than my reason to smoke. It sucked for the 2 or 3 weeks where I had mad craving for a cigarette but when you start thinking "no, I can't smoke because of X" then you stop thinking "ah one more ain't gonna hurt, I can always try harder tomorrow."

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

1500quidporsche posted:

If you don't mind me asking what was the reason not to smoke?

Long story short: I love my wife more than I love to smoke.

I'll tell the full story later if people are interested. I hate phone posting.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 25, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend really really wants us to have more couple friends that we can go to dinner with and do wine tastings and basically poo poo that will make me miserable. But I love her so I've been trying. She has this really close friend from school so I've been paired off with the husband a few times because we have "similar interests." He says he's into cars and poo poo but he drives an auto Saab and can't even wrap his head around the concept of RWD. But still, sort of nice dude but really weird.

So I friend him on Facebook the other day and today a whole fuckload of anti-vax bullshit is polluting my feed an it's all poo poo he's posted, shared or commented on. Dude is clearly anti-science and his head is waaaaaaay far up his rear end.

<sigh>

I bet I still have to hang out with him.

My wife makes me hang out with her best friend's husband. I can't loving stand the guy, she told me he was a pilot, but apparently he got his licence purely to fly for Air Canada but then didn't get the job so went PR or secretary or some poo poo instead. Turns out he did it not because he likes flying (I could respect that, trying to do something you love as a career) but because he heard the money was good.

Also sometimes he says things that makes me think he doesn't treat his wife that well, not like serious abuse or anything, but more like he wanted a maid more than a partner. It's a shame because his wife is actually a lovely person. We saw Book of Mormon with them a few weeks ago, and he seemed mad because he was unaware it was a musical. I tried to explain that most plays you see are musicals but I guess that was too faggy a response for him or something.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

CharlesM posted:

Err, becoming a commercial pilot is a pretty expensive thing...?

I asked him why he didn't join the air force first as it seems a lot of commercial airline pilots are ex-airforce and he said "you can get shot down in the airforce"

[edit] I don't think he has a full on commercial licence. He applied for some trainee thing where they train you or something? I don't really know the full details of it.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 25, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Friar Zucchini posted:

So who else can literally hear the drunk in this guy? I do need to try more whiskey though, all I've tried is Jack Daniels and Jim Beam black label. Does that stuff go down any easier?

Generally the nicer the whiskey, the smoother it is, to a point. Then it comes down to the individual tastes of each one. Some taste really good while others effectively taste like someone threw a clump of soil in your mouth.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'm hungover. Going back to bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

mafoose posted:

Ding ding ding!
Just finished a bottle of this a couple weeks ago.

Currently working on a Yamazaki 12.

They're both phenomenal. I think I like the Nikka a hair better.

I desperately want to try these but stupid Canadian law won't let me bring them into the country unless I order it through a government store. The government store won't order it unless I get a substantial amount (like 2-3 cases) at Canadian retail prices + duty + any shipping charges.

• Locked thread