Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Siralim is basically Dragon Warrior Monsters meets Disgaea. You build a team of six monsters by "extracting cores" from injured enemies (3 cores gets you a copy of that monster), and every single monster has a unique passive ability. Monster abilities range from "Gives your entire team damage shields every battle" or "When killing an enemy, heal 50% of max hp, take another turn, and gain a buff for 3 turns that gives you multiple hits per attack" to simple buffs like "50% of luck stat is added to attack".

It's also got a ridiculous list of character perks for your non-combat main character, equipment for your monsters that levels up and can have its stats upgraded and altererd, a town (castle) that you expand and level up, and even more crap to do.

The battles aren't super complicated, monsters can only attack, defend, or provoke (taunt effect that lowers your defense), or spend their turn letting you extract from enemies or cast a spell, or run away. Your monster choice makes a big difference in your strategy, though, so it isn't just spam attack. There are 5 classes for monsters that form a circle of advantage, so your Life monsters do extra damage to Death monsters, but the Death guys are strong against Chaos, and so on.

As an example, my team has a Nature guy whose attack bounces to 2 random enemies and does 35% damage to them and bleeds them, so i try to always aim him at a Life monster for the damage boost. Then I have a Life guy who stuns anyone at 100% hp, and a Death monster with the ability I mentioned above where he gets huge buffs when he kills enemies. So rather than just focusing down the worst monster, I'm spreading damage around waiting for my cleanup guy to get 3 extra turns and wipe half the battlefield.

This game is everything I've wanted in an RPG. Even the random dungeons are less boring than most games that tout procedural/random levels. You always get a quest in each level that gives a huge chunk of XP, great items, and a perk point for your main character. Each dungeon type has different conditions, like the winter realm can cause monsters to slip and lose their attack, or in the grasslands you might fall in a hunter's trap and get snared.

The only black mark I give the game is that virtual gamepad controls typically suck (but if your phone allows it, it adds that little haptic feedback buzz so you know you hit the buttons), and there are still a few bugs (using a consumable that buffs you for the next battle can crash the game, which refreshes your current dungeon floor). Still, holy crap this game has all kinds of hooks in me.

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
One of the best towers (in Mazebert) to use as your primary is Holgar the Horrible. He has a 2% chance on kill to get a "Bottle of Mead", which is a potion that gives damage, crit chance, crit damage, and a 1% chance to miss (and only works on vikings, of which he is the only one, unless someone else puts on a Viking Helmet). However, since it's a potion, you can just destroy 2 of them and get a random blue quality normal potion. He farms potions for you. This even works during the bonus round when you wouldn't normally gain any items. He also has some of the best single-target damage because he throws 2 axes that can both hit the same target. My last run was around 1400 seconds of bonus round time because he was critting 2 times every .2s for 2 million damage.

Also, Mr. Iron is ridiculous. His description is misleading. The 90 seconds for him to consume items and reboot is reduced by his attack speed bonus. Feed him all your boots and maybe marry him to your main potion drinker, then he takes like 6-10 seconds to eat 4 items and permanently gain their powers. You then feed him all your viking helmets and lucky pants to boost his luck stat to crazy levels, and equip him with 2 pieces of the withered set. That set gives him a 2% chance per hit to send enemies back 1 second in time. If you get him to say, 400% extra luck, he's doing that 10% of the time. If you get his attack speed to .1s per attack, you can keep creeps warping backwards for a long time. Even better, you equip him with Messerschmidt's Reaver and now he's warping enemies backwards in an area. As a bonus, you can feed him Herb Witch's Cauldrons and Irish Pub's Barrels to make him buff himself and adjacent towers.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Shop Heroes tip: you can buy a second (or third) copy of a resource bin to multiply the speed at which it regenerates. You might need to delete it way later on as you fill up with workstations and more resource types, but for the early game it's a huge boost to get double wood and iron.

Also compliment everyone every time. There are achievements for doing so that grant a ton of cash.

I can throw a few invites to my city after I kick a few inactives. I've got like 600k invested. Or just join Bridgopolis.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Shop Heroes! I'm throwing out invites to my sweet city of Bridgopolis. Now with 3/4 of the tier 2 resources!

Some tips for newbies: I posted this before but it needs to be said again: Get a second or third copy of your resource bins ASAP. You not only store a whole lot more, but the regen rate for resources is PER BIN. 3 Iron bins? You get 3X per hour and even if your storage is full your bins will hold their refill capacity on top of that. GET MORE BINS.

Crafters: The game screws you over by starting you with a blacksmith and carpenter because they overlap on weapon crafting. You want to avoid overlap until maybe you've been playing for a billion years and have 7 crafters and max level workstations. While you only have 2 dudes I'd recommend Armorer and Carpenter. Once you get a third person, go with Blacksmith, Leatherworker, Druid. At 18 when you get your 4th crafter, Armorer, Luthier, Sorceress, Fletcher gives you 8 different skills and you'll open up almost every item type. If your city has any tier 3 crafters (guys with 3 skills) go with those guys, obviously and build your team around avoiding duplicate skills.

Stats: Your workstations display 2 numbers X/Y. X is your current skill and Y is the cap enforced by the workstation. If your X number is red you are over cap and any points above the cap are wasted. You can always craft any item regardless of your crafters' stats, but each category takes (requirement / current stat)* minutes to produce. So if you had 40 metalworking and 20 weaponcrafting and a sword took 20 in each category it would take 1.5 minutes. Workstations get stupidly expensive to level past 5 or 6 so just resign yourself to things taking longer.
Mastery is the chance to critical craft and get those good or better items, and is totaled across all workers. You don't have 2 dudes with 5 and 7 mastery, you have one hivemind workforce that operates at 12 mastery. I hit 4 workers and swapped them out for tier 2 guys (who get more skill points per level) and have way more mastery now and I'm starting to see a lot more flawless items. Pump mastery, especially if you keep the town bonuses running and are way over skill cap.

Quests! Always be questin', especially after you open up the trade house. You can just spam run the fastest rat quest for shiny blue stones and turn around and flip them for 200 each on the auction house. Higher level materials are a real bottleneck to unlocking recipes, but you can only save up a number equal to your item capacity, so might as well sell them off. Even if your adventurers are level capped and tripping around breaking your precious items, keep them questing and sell off extra materials. You're also investing in future quests by unlocking higher tiers of quest that reward larger stacks of materials.

Energy and Crafting: Split your crafting slots in half. Half of them should generally go towards your latest recipes because those keep you unlocking new items and are worth the most money. The other half should be keeping your chests filled with cheap, low level items. You never want anyone to go home empty handed, so try to keep something from every category on hand. If it sells for less than 10% of your best items, discount it to refill energy so you can surcharge your big items. Get a couple items racks of your most popular categories (I have dagger/potion/remedy for now), since they make your sales worth extra energy. Also, always buy items from customers, you'll flip the item quickly enough.

Also, COMPLIMENT EVERYONE EVER. There are achievements for compliment/suggest and discount/surcharge/bargain, and it doesn't take long to hit the third tier for a sweet 200k bonus. I'm like 2800 compliments away from a free million gold.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
That's the strategy I was using until I hit a little bump. A customer won't ever ask for, nor can you suggest an item 7 levels under him or her. I've got a few guys in 13-16 range, so I can't just make a bunch of knives and shortswords anymore. My current strategy is to work on unlocks and replacing lost items while my guys go adventuring, and sell off excess quest rewards. I think I've sold away a hundred burning embers for 2-3k each. I've got a bunch of guys in the frozen lake right now harvesting ice crystals that are worth around 20k a pop. Items also get costly real fast and make it impossible for you to focus entirely on a couple items. Many of my items cost 30 or 40 of 1-2 T1 resources (Like iron + leather)and 10-15 of a T2 resource (like steel). You end up jumping around your crafting options while your resources regenerate.

The upshot is, you can't ever screw yourself over. Items will pretty much always sell and the resources cost you nothing. Even crafting a ton of low level items to master them is useful, because higher level crafts often call for good quality versions of low level items and you save yourself the annoyance of crafting 40 extra broadswords.

A couple tips that are not obvious:

You can tap the resource icons on the right side to auto-collect from all your bins.
Enable Multi-craft in the options menu. Instead of leaving the item screen each time you go to craft an item, you stay in the screen so you can just jam the button a bunch of times. Very useful when items start requiring 3 copies of a low level item.

Every additional adventurer on a quest increases the power of all adventurers on the quest, regardless of their actual power. So I can send my lvl 16 Theor with 3500 power with 2 undergeared chumps to boost him to 5k and knock out a high level quest. The low level guys will be out of commission for a few hours but if you can't muster a full team of A's for a quest it's a viable method.

Your total storage for items is also your max storage for each quest material. Get yourself up to 50 or so capacity so you can hoard quest items. It really sucks to unlock a new item and find out it takes 3 or 4 of something you haven't stockpiled (I'm looking at you, herbal tea and your 4 ironwood cost + 40 crafts for the next unlock)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

This might run afoul of one of the big bolded lines in the OP, but has anyone played Township? It shows up in ads a lot for me, and it seems to have a decent chunk of varied gameplay to it. Or, it could just be an IAP-riddled city builder.

It's a slightly different Hay Day. Not bad, but nothing special.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
For the people who enjoyed Nonstop Knight, I'd like to direct you to my current favorite, Idle Mage Attack. It's similar in that you have a dude who you don't really control who zips around the map murdering everything, but there's a lot more depth to it. (I got bored with Nonstop Knight within a day, still playing this after 2.5 weeks).

It's not as much for offline progress, so you won't wake up in the morning to clear a bunch more content, but the flip side is that you never really hit a wall during active play. You can always play for a few more minutes and push past a boss. The active component comes from collecting spells and powerups that fly out of your kills, some which are instantly used and some you can bank for bosses or raids.

It's also really generous with premium currency. You can do a raid zone (a short level scaled to your current stats) that rewards a few points of premium currency. IAP is $2 for 150 and you get 2-10 every raid.

Check it out if you like make-numbers-get-bigger games.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I played that for a while. You need to train your guys into a new class. The second map should unlock new items that let you upgrade your units. Alternately, there's a tavern somewhere in each map to recruit a unique unit, with stats that are appropriate for that map. You might even be able to just buy up steel in the market (to craft the items you need to train) after hitting the second map.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
So does anyone remember Dungelot? And its terrible sequels? I've been playing Gumballs & Dungeons, which is basically the game Dungelot should have been. Sure there's a stamina mechanic and premium currency like every drat mobile game, but you get enough of both that they never feel restrictive.

It's the same premise -- you uncover tiles in a 5x6 grid and either get stuff or fight the monsters underneath. The thing that makes this a good take on the genre is your little slime dudes (gumballs, I guess) come in like a hundred different classes across four factions, each one with a unique passive ability (like crit chance, or free magic scrolls every level) and a talent that applies across all characters (like +2 attack or 15% stronger lightning bolts). You get a new character every dungeon you clear, and there are a bunch of ways to recruit more. Each gumballs falls into one of three classes, Adventurer, Mage, or Melee, and you spend XP to upgrade titles in a branching tree to earn stats and abilities. You also can take the passives and titles from two other gumballs from the same faction.

The game is also packed with side features, like explorer guys that you send out and they come back on a timer with free stuff, gumball artisans that produce upgrade materials (whom you buy or rescue from dungeons), an airship exploration side-game (with puzzle dungeons, airship combat, and a whole new set of things to upgrade), daily quests, and even the world map has little nodes you can poke for prizes. Each dungeon also has a unique mechanic, like assembling tools from the bones of undead enemies into equipment or a pet, a plant ally that grows by feeding it loot from dungeon enemies, a ghost ship ally, or a magic lamp that you upgrade with a genie. You can also find all seven dragonballs in a dungeon and make a wish. (and the eternal dragon is also an adorable gumball guy)

The stamina mechanic isn't bad, since dungeons take a good while to get through. You can also just spend stamina to raid them for instant loot and xp if you don't have time to devote for a full run. I've never really felt like I couldn't play because of it.

I will warn everyone that the gacha is strong with this one. The premium gacha pulls award fragments of a character, which you also need to upgrade them once you acquire them anyway, ugh. You do get some free pulls to start and from every 5 days worth of daily quests, but I've yet to assemble enough fragments for a character. The game is very playable without them, but you'd have to whale pretty hard to get the gacha characters unlocked and maxed out.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Unfortunately you have to roast him a few times for a quest.

So some gumball advice. The best way to clear dungeons, especially once the difficulty gets to 25+, is to use an adventurer and go for the Legendary Hunter title. This upgrades the free item from the demon hunter title to fire a ranged attack every 5 turns. The first adventurer title shows you where enemies are, so you open 4 tiles, then an enemy and you instantly get a free attack with no health loss. As long as you keep your attack higher than mob health, you just instantly clear every enemy.

For endless runs, you fight a boss at floor 30 and every 10 floors after. They get pretty ridiculous after floor 40, so the way to beat them is to take the Great Elf King title instead. Every upgrade of that title gives you an item that deals 10x your attack (half to bosses). Cast disrupting ray to boost your damage and fire them off for 1k+ a hit.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I just had a phenomenal (Gumball) run in the second maze, died to the floor 90 boss who has so much health it displays as ???? until you get it below 10,000. One of the dragonball wishes gives you a new title tree for dragon skills, and they are off the wall powerful. Healing 12 hp on kill, instakill anything below 40% hp (20% on bosses), and attacks cause enemies to bleed, upgraded to deal 175% of your base damage per round for 5 rounds, and you deal 300% damage to bleeding enemies. (The tree only has one title per level until the last one. The branch I didn't pick had a base of 100% damage to all high-level spells). Finally got Zorro Gumball and all the DP quests for that maze. I think I used 3 portal of earth spells to get an extra 60 floors of grinding.

My preferred strategy of using the Legendary Hunter title tends to taper off past floor 50. I had over 200 attack, but floor 90 basic enemies had 450-1k hp and 100-250 attack, so I'd have to clear the entire screen just to auto-kill one guy. I'm not sure if the other adventurer class titles would be any better for super deep runs, or if Legendary Hunter is still the best to get that deep without dying.

I'm finally starting to 5-star some of my guys. It looks like Adventure class gumballs get +3 EP per kill, Melee gets +1 defense, and Mages get some Hp or Mp each floor as part of becoming 5 stars. Once they are 5-star, their final weapon and certificate give you airship stats. Also those weapons take like, 400 eternal gold or holy crystal. Each unit of those materials takes a base of 3000 fragments from the artisans. With max artisans (100) and a 24 second timer, that's 5 per hour. Over 3 days per weapon upgrade from artisans alone.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Even more gumball stuff!

Witch Gumball (standard reward from the desert maze, like 7th or 8th dungeon) is immune to poison. Use that one to get the zerg queen in the sky dungeon where every tile is poisoned forever.

Speaking of Zerg Queen Gumball, get her innate skill to level 5 ASAP and link her as your magic gumball forever. Her special skill is she gives you a zerg egg every 3 floors, and you hatch them to get 2 zerglings. At level 5 skill, zerglings have 75% of your base attack and HP, and when they die they explode for something like, 300% damage. I just finished a run of the Desert Oasis on floor 95 because a treasure chest mob had 4k hp and 800 attack, and it was a ranged-attacking life leech worm. My zerglings had around 1400 hp and 175 attack each!

Boss Strategy -- Once you have zerg queen, any boss becomes a game of keeping zerglings up, then alternating between stunning the boss with icicle, hex, or rotten fruit or something, and then using stoneskin for its next attack while it's stun immune. I think the floor 90 boss had 15-20k hp and 800 attack and I still took it down with this strategy. It helps that I used 2 portals of earth at 42 floors each + magic carpet for another 30 floors to repeat. I think that run took about 2 hours total over the course of the day.

This game has found a fantastic balance of giving you enough free gems that you never feel starved, but also making a billion uses for them so you also feel like you never have enough. I'd probably trickle more survey dollars in if the payouts weren't so low.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
So my latest and greatest game is Cats who stare at Ghosts . It's a solid rpg in which you are a cat in a haunted house staring at and then battting your paws at ghosts.

Initially all you do is auto-attack and spend skill points as you level, but as you conquer the different rooms of the house you unlock active and passive skills, equippable items, ghost companions, and more. You also prestige multiple times, resetting your level but making skill point more effective (I'm on my 5th life and I get 4 points per Stat instead of 1)

It's also got no ads at all and the only thing you spend premium currency (milk of course) on is new cat skins and temporary boosts. It is does get very grindy, but you eventually unlock a companion that let's you afk, and there are bonus popups to tap and 16 active skills to unlock.

Come be a cat and stare at ghosts, it's a very charming game!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Siralim 2 is a great recommendation. If you ever played dragon warrior (quest) monsters on the gameboy it's a great spiritual successor. It's also the kind of game you can play for a while and finish the story or sink a hundred hours in building the perfect team and finishing crazy challenges.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I've got a helmet that gives a 6 block radius crate radar that I am never replacing. It's generally better to hunt for crates because everything except dynamite gives you at least a block of depth for your trouble, and some of them much more.

Even without the crate radar just play it smart. Don't hit dynamite unless you need to uncover a horizontal area, fireworks are crap without cards or gear that makes them break blocks on impact. Alternately just dig poo poo up and have fun because you can always just have another go at it and you always take away some progression from a level.

Here's another question, though. Is it worth it to craft blue or white gear? I find myself only converting the lower tiers and wearing purples at the minimum. I'm at level 13 for gear and I can still put together a new piece every 2 or 3 levels. I imagine if you need 30 tokens or something you might deign to craft a blue, but has anyone gotten that far along?

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Beast Pussy posted:

I don't think I saw it in here, so I'd like to recommend Dungeon Survivor 2. you build a team of adventurers and send them out on mission to collect resources and upgrade your town. You can set up how often your team does certain attacks, permadeath with a graveyard to bring them back that I haven't unlocked and it doesn't seem like a cash grab at all. The only thing is that souls (xp) are a little slim after you complete an area because the dungeons are fixed, so if you let a character die, you will have to spend a bit of time chasing wolves or whatever on the world map to get enough souls to upgrade your team back up.

This game is great and I'm currently in the ninth area or so. It's a little like A Dark Room without the unfolding mechanics. In other words, you have an idle resource collection side for base upgrading, and a grid based exploration with ATB combat on the other side. The graveyard is in the first area just outside the base, there is a necromancer guy you beat and then he joins you and sets up your resurrection service (it costs effectively nothing, like my whole team costs 160 xp to revive and they have about 70k xp invested in levels).

There is also pvp arena, and an expedition mechanic (send a team away for X hours and get free money/xp/items). The only silly thing about the game is how impossible it is to improve your idle production past a certain point. You have 5 resources and you unlock idle workers by spending food, but the cost scales wildly, like have 150 dudes so I can get 150 food/30 sec, but my next 5 dudes costs 120k, so like 7 hours if I ONLY produce food (and producing anything else incurs a food COST, so my setup is more like 40 food, 30 lumber, and a single point of the 3 crafting resources). This is countered partially by trading some of your gold (non-premium currency) for extra resources. Currently I'm actually at a level cap for my party until I upgrade a building, so the comment about XP being slim actually changes later in the game.

Aside from that minor point, it's a great F2P game that hurls currency at you pretty steadily until midgame, and you can get a healthy amount from ads. There's a stamina mechanic but it's literally never come into play because an adventure costs like, 10-15 of 100 and can last for a half hour. Good game but I'm not playing for 5 hours straight. The combat is cool because you can set up autobattle with certain tactics like, heal people who are under 70% on your cleric, or only have the warrior taunt when he's above 50% hp, or only use AoE attacks when there are 3 or more enemies.

Oh, and there's a weird semi-gacha to your characters. There are no unique characters but they all rank D-SS, and as you upgrade your tavern you have better odds of seeing higher rank dudes. I've got a full team of S rank badasses and it is very necessary to snatch higher rank guys and boot out your lovely dudes (for 70% refund on spent XP), because things get pretty brutal. Most bosses have an AoE so a Priest (only AoE healer) is super necessary unless you build the rest of the part around self-heals and life leech (which is possible, there are like 13 classes).

Suggestions for anyone picking it up: Strength = carrying capacity = how many turns worth of food you can bring when exploring. Your first few adventures are super hard limited by your carrying capacity, but you can set up camp and cook the meat and rations that enemies drop to extend a journey. 5 turns with no food = full party wipe, so plan out if you can make it home.
Refresh you tavern for gold every time it refreshes for free. It's 10 gold (which is nothing) and gives you 3 more chances at higher ranked dudes, the difference between each rank is very significant. It is always worth ranking up and re-leveling a character.
As soon as you unlock the expedition mechanic, spend 80 gems to unlock a second party configuration and level/equip 4 backup characters. Expedition rewards are based on their combined overall stat rating so don't just use trashy D ranks.
Long press to salvage all in your warehouse. I sat on like 700 ration items until I discovered this by accident.
Buy the blueprints for the rune-keeper armor and the runed ring. This will let you craft 3/4 item slots with double the normal amount of stat boosts.

SynthesisAlpha fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 20, 2018

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Chinook posted:

Any suggestions for which spells to use? I just kinda use the 5 I started with, and I'm not really sure what order to put them in.

There's really no wrong answer, just use whatever spells you like. Every spell's damage is scaled by its cooldown. The main way you load your spells is by XP priority (spell on the far left gets full XP, far right only gets 5%). Every time a spell levels up it gets an augment that improves the spell and a passive that applies even when the spell is not equipped. All passives stack and every spell has three global passives and two that apply to one specific spell.

The strategy, then, is to make sure that you give every spell at least some attention. The other thing to note is that while every spell is fairly balanced, they aren't all equal. Shock net is amazing for clearing a screen but awful against bosses. Fire elemental does piddly damage but applies tons of burns, which ignore armor. Firefly is immune to dispel, meteor is immune to pushback, ice wall reduces incoming damage. There is no wrong spell but they each have their strengths.

One more tip: you don't have to enchant (the soft prestigr) right away. You can keep pushing to the next level and do 2 or 3 at once, which can save you a.lot of the time you would otherwise spend getting back up to full power.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I would definitely call it more of an Idle Mage Manager. You set the spells that autocast, you can collect numerous pickups that either discharge immediately or go into your inventory for later use, and set up things like research upgrades and raids that yield premium currency, consumable spells, and a new spell once/day. It doesn't have the level structure or equipment to manage like soda dungeon, but it's easily my favorite idle game so give it a shot!

It also handles prestige better than pretty much every idle game. You soft reset a lot (enchanting), but what it does is yield a bonus to damage, research speed and research discount (which all stack multiplicatively) while setting you back to the base 100 power. You gradually regain power back to where you were before resetting over the course of a few hours, but if you continue to play you cut that time down because you're earning back power like normal. Generally if you play it actively an enchant prestige only takes 30-40 minutes and you're back where you were but with a nice boost.

The hard prestige is called meditating and is required four times to beat the game. You lose all that power, but also your enchants and research, all you keep is your spells & experience + inventory. Meditating unlocks a small skill tree (one skill point per reset) and a new assistant who attacks enemies and buffs you based on that skill tree. There's also a new game + after you finish that!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah you get the key to the doom world in zone 27 but it's not beatable til zone 45 or 50 for the first one. Beating the doom world gives you the item to meditate. I think it took me like 2 or 3 months of pretty heavy playing to get through the whole game to NG+

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

explosivo posted:

This game is great so far and pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Can anyone explain the lantern better than the in-game description? I read it a few times and still have no idea what it does :smith:

So when the lantern recalls you the power you have doesn't go into your total but stays in the bank. Every time the lantern recalls you it multiplies the power in the bank by .8 and then adds that run's total in.
Say you get 1000 power per run and you let the game sit.
First run 1000 power goes into the lantern.
Second run that 1000 drops to 800 then you get another 1000 so through lantern holds 1800.
Third run that 1800 goes down to 1440 then +1000 for 2440.

What it boils down to is you have a curve with a limit around 5x the power from a single run so letting the game idle overnight isn't really worth it. Also if the lantern is holding any power you gain XP at the idle rate (1/24 speed)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Shwqa posted:

I went with the Rachael assistant. I'm not sure if that is optimal, but a free spell with full 100% exp every 10 seconds isn't bad. Especially when she does a summon.

Also you can set how many tempered magic you want on in the settings. So I have been avoiding them until my magic speed is at 100%. However you can do the research and turn off a level. That way you can always be doing three researches at the same time.

Never avoid tempered magic. This is a trap except for maybe one specific spell build. It's not only a dose boost, but armor in this game is a flat reduction of damage down to a minimum of 5% of the original damage. Even if you can't slower than base speed it's still always better to take as many levels as are offered.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

I'm really into tap wizard but super bummed out that 3 spellstones in a row have been duplicates when I still have over half the spells left to unlock. Is there a way to get spellstones faster later on? I know you can get "pure" stones or whatever that let you pick the spell, are those available through gameplay or only by purchasing?

You only get one random stone per day and that's it. It takes like 2-3 months to get all 30 spells from that. You do get premium currency at a steady rate doing the raids every half hour (avg of 4.5 I think) and 2 per ad watch, so that's an extra pull every couple days or maybe one fixed pull a week. I wouldn't buy spellstone until after capping the three assistants, though.

The developer said there is a luck-fixing mechanism that will keep you from getting endless duplicates but you won't get a fresh spell every time.

If you do drop the currency for a pure spellstone, get either static leap, inferno, or frozen orbs. Static leap jumps you back which helps negate melee damage, frozen orbs deflects projectiles, and inferno ignores armor and combos super well with freezing. Most spells are pretty balanced but those three have really strong utility.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
You'll always be getting one bonus or another, either cast speed if you run a single of an element, or damage if you run multiples. Both are multiplicative so the net dps is the same. You can strive to make one element more effective by fishing for passives on your spells. Even if they are obscured every passive is just a 1:1 letter replacement with question marks so anything that says "??% ???? ??????" Translates to 20% fire damage, and so on.

There are a couple cross element combos like inferno making frozen enemies explode, torrent launching a copy from a burning target, and plasma grenade triggering lighting strikes from shocked targets. Really though just use the spells you like and have different loadouts for different situations (I like to use Firefly, chain lightning, shock net, and Frost Ray against dispellers since those 4 spells are instant or immune to dispel)

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

Tap Wizard: How do I beat the Doom Portal? It seems to scale to my level, am I supposed to just shove a bunch of consumable Runes at it one is there some other strategy? I can't even get past the first pack of enemies. I'm around 1UD power and am at Zone 34 if that matters.

Yeah the doom world is a little misleading since it opens at zone 27 but it's 20 zones long and scales just like the regular areas. You can tackle the while thing if you can clear 47-48. When you do clear it, meditate immediately since there is no further progression until you do.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

explosivo posted:

Tap Wizard: What is Empowering at the obelisk? Is it worth using the paid currency to do? I'm going to assume it gives you the benefit of Enchanting without having to start over which is pretty meh if so. 250 smackers for +1 seems very not worth it in that case.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what it does. It's something for super late game after you've bought all the permanent shop items and all you're spending runite on is super boost runes or dungeon keys. It didn't exist in the game's previous incarnation but when you're reclaiming to zone 95 or so an enchant can take hours of active play or a half a day idle so it's not awful, especially when you wait for a +2 or +3.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Save those invulnerability runes and take the right side of the templar's skill tree after your first meditation. Not much else you can do about poison.

The worst hurdles in the game are pushes or zones with tons of ranged enemies because even if your power is high enough to kill them at a reasonable rate the attrition is still brutal.

There are tools in every spell if you have them unlocked. Ice wall gives damage reduction and freezes, frozen orbs deflects projectiles, static leap gets you out of melee, chain lightning and shock net are instant so can't be dispelled, a few spells ignore armor, etc.

The tough part is if you're playing a lot so you push far into the difficult mob types without having a ton of spells to play with. Fortunately you can always just keep cranking up your power and brute force anything. Other problems are solved by hoarding runes and dropping a dozen at a time.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Blink runes jump you backwards, which can dodge projectiles or get you out of melee. Still kinda useless. Save any junk runes for after your second meditation. At that point you open up the crafting altar which lets you grind down runes and recombine them into new ones.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
To hit it a little more with tap wizard, your spells are all scaled in damage for their cast time and expected number of targets. There's no right or wrong answer for your general build.

Many spells do fit into a niche or utility roll, whether that be piercing armor, reducing damage, or applying ailments. The most important thing is to level every spell you get because passives make a significant difference. Bonuses are additive in their source but multiplicative with different sources.

That means if you have 2 passives for +20% lightning damage and a 5% all damage you have +45% lightning damage but that is x1.45 the the damage after everything else like enchanting and runes.

You can always just grind out more power to get over a wall, but if you're not pulling 5-10% of your current power per run you need to fix something, either enchant or catch up on research or dump a pile of runes to push past a goddamn troll.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Hi Goons, I'm really liking Sdorica: Sunset so I created a guild in it. I considered calling it Goon Sduad but I figured just Goonsquad will do.

Server is Stardust Library, invite code is b9ef0

Right now limit is ten people, but shouldn't be too hard to increase that.y

Maybe I'll try this game but you missed a hell of an opportunity with the name. Scrap the guild and remake!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Siralim 2 is pretty much a spiritual successor to Dragon Quest Monsters 2 and is absolutely worth getting if you want game in that style. I heartily recommend it.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
There's not much to the core of the game besides exploring realms for stuff, then breeding and upgrading your team. The draw, then, is composing the perfect team by creating combos with each monster's unique ability plus one per artifact.

I guess the disclaimer should be that it's ultra light on plot/story and super dense on mechanics.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Honestly, it's not an idle game in the sense of "watch numbers go up and buy things with scaling costs". It's more like... Mage Manager. You select what spells your wizard uses and they cast them automatically. You scoop up consumables and fire them off and decide when to restart your run with the extra stats you gained from the current one. The further you get the more options you have for management. Put this spell in the first slot to level it up faster for stat boosts, switch you your second loadout for the next boss because he's a regenerating troll and you have this spell that blocks healing, but it's fire so that loadout also stacks burns and this one lightning spell that crits on burning targets etc etc.

Give it a shot even if you don't like idle games because it's really more of a management game that gives you a little progress when you're not playing it.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
25 I believe, and it scales the same as the regular zones, so you should be good when you're clearing 5 above your current zone.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

What a loving time to be alive.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

hooah posted:

I have no idea what that means.

It means you have to activate the Omega Lumen rune that you have crafted via your four meditations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

Ok Android game wizards, have a weirdly specific request. I used to play a game called Restaurant Story and I really loved it. It was a game about running a restaurant duh, but you could collect recipes, upgrade your equipment, etc. Does anyone know of a game like that currently that is actually good?

This actually sounds like Adventure Bar Story. I don't think there's really anything else in the RPG-restaurant hybrid category. If you're cool with PC games you could try Recettear, which is an RPG-item shop hybrid, but it's an action RPG rather than turn-based.

I've tried a few mobile games that seem like they'd be similar but they were just freemium crap without the RPG side of things.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I get the same way, but I'm never really sure why I'm dying. It seems like I'm either taking nothing or chip damage from a boss and then whap 3k damage dead.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

hooah posted:

In Tap Wizard, I forget: are the spell passive active all the time, or only if that spell is equipped?

All the time, including after you mark up and lose most of the augments.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
It really is too bad Dream Quest never made it to Android, because that fits both deckbuilding and roguelike while also being an excellent game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Standingstoic posted:

Night of Full Moon is probably still in beta, so free, but not sure

Probably the closest StS clone on Android

This game is actually just Dream Quest except you pull encounters from a deck instead of exploring a map. I mean literally right down to the card and monster mechanics. It's a very direct rip with non-MS Paint art.

Like Dream Quest had an sphinx enemy that would look at your hand and ban you from playing whichever card was in the majority. It would also, at the start of your turn, banish a card from your hand and replace it with a crappy one of a different type (so if you survived long enough you wouldn't get hard-locked by only having attacks or something)

I fought an enemy with literally the exact mechanics of that sphinx in this game except it was a suit of armor with flames for a head.

That's just one very specific instance, the whole game is a direct clone of Dream Quest. Which is actually okay because Dream Quest was awesome and not on Android?