Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Len posted:

Would it be like the comics where it's fun and interesting for a bit, then incredibly boring for a long time, and then finally getting "interesting" again by killing 80% of the cast and repeating the cycle?

So you mean like basically every comic series ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
It depends how keen you are on topics related to Nautical Engineering and Construction.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

limited posted:

The original is pretty miserable, if only because you can't move tiles while things are matching. It's not so bad at the beginning, but it really grates later on.

As someone who's tried to make a match-3 game work smoothly and quickly the fact that the game lets you do this considering the way it works is loving witchcraft.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Coldbird posted:

So far it's very polished, runs well on my Note 4. Gameplay seems to be pretty straightforward match 3, not much innovation. I haven't gotten any premium monsters yet.

It's oddly slow paced, even for a match 3. Most moves don't result in attacks, and every move you make also lets the monsters make one, so you can't just bank a bunch of good potential matches then drop them all at once - the mobs will just throw them at you before then. It seems to feel a bit attrition-ey after a while, but I'm not that far and using the lovely default monsters. The monster abilities you get seem at least halfway interesting, not always just straight damage.

One odd design decision was to consolidate energy and gold into a single currency. Missions cost gold to launch, and you accumulate gold automatically in real time based on which part of the map you're occupying in the story. It presumably means if you don't play for a while, you don't waste 'energy' vs. a cap, but I'm not sure yet if there's any other constraints. You can also apparently spend gold on opening treasure chests, which I guess is good if you don't have time to play on a given day?

It's pretty good, I might be biased though seeing as I got an Orange out of my first pack. He has Doomstones!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Battle Gems is really a rather good game.

For anyone that's just glanced at it and turned away because lovely f2p mechanics, don't dismiss it entirely, and here's why.

1) There's no energy system. Gold is energy, energy is gold, and before long you earn gold faster than you can play. It's a non-factor.

2) Even common (white or the technically "Rare" green) monsters can have broken skills if you use them right. Raise the Dead creates 4 skulls at random and doesn't end your turn. Slam can reduce the entire enemy team's armor by a good 4 or 5 as well as exploding a gem of your choice. Howl reduces the attack of their front runner significantly for very little mana cost. These are at skill level 1. Skills are upgraded along with your monsters!

3) Banners and home cities affect your troops, so a team of 4 area-focused monsters with the right banner get substantial pseudo-set bonuses!

4) You can get purple/legendary units from questlines, no gachapon required. There are orange/epic units but they are rare as balls so don't worry about it, also they are not much better and more expensive to level!

5) Being in a guild gives you tons of free poo poo- invest your gold in guild quests to get rewards like treasure maps and keys. If everyone is pitching in, you end up with returns that make your investment seem trivial.

6) You will never run out of quests. There are hundreds of the loving things, at least 15 per area, with 2/3 battles in each. There are a good 30 challenge levels per area, too, and there are currently 17 areas, so, yeah.

7) You get to be the weapon master! Leveling your mana masteries gives you new weapons at certain points that do all kinds of stupid poo poo! Backstab their last unit, bypass armor, deal splash damage, spray damage across their whole team, explode a gem, eliminate colors from the board, there's a weapon for everything. Your weapon dictates what color mana your avatar uses to attack.

8) No more bullshit +5 skulls everywhere. They're gone!

9) PvP for gold, double your stake (you have to match the possible loot) or go home with nothing. You can trade your PvPbux for stuff depending on the weekly event, and it carries over between weeks. It's also not set at absurd poopsock levels, so you'll actually be able to afford the stuff!

10) Seriously, this game is Puzzle Quest in a way that MPQ just isn't. No essential random drops, no limited inventory, no wait timers, and there's really no need to put any $money in besides maybe forstraigh the Starter Pack.

Today in Battle Gems I noticed my Guild had done a few quests and I started with 6 keys (for monster packs) and 2 treasure maps. I spent 20 minutes just playing the treasure maps (they're like the PQ2 chest game, but more about upgrading treasure than straight looting it) and ended up with so much loot, including a premium key! Fighting one battle costs 60-70 gold, a key costs 1000 gold, so I logged in to 6000 (keys) + 2500 (treasure map gold) + 1000 (login bonus gold and town loot) worth of stuff, not including the extra loot from the maps (PvPbux, souls for monster levelling, some gems).

It's all-you-can-eat Puzzle Quest. And if I know goons, all-you-can-eat isn't an offer, it's a challenge, so come get some Battle Gems.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Whoops! I am in fact describing Gems of War.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
My code is HAZARD_1 but don't invite me until like 3 hours from this post

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Re: Battle Gems Of War guild invites, the max guild size is 30 and it takes a while to get there, so people will probably be invited one by one as the guild size grows (it's currently 10.)

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I like the Lady Vampire who you kill people for for no particular reason other than her asking you to do it. I'm pretty well convinced we're being charmed or mind controlled throughout that scenario but it turns out well.

The game seems pretty generous with drops, too. You get the storyline character as a playable card with at the end of the zone's questline, and they're all pretty beefy. Plus, I got a magic key from.. something. Think I saved up and bought it. It gave me this ultra badass named Raven whose power is R/B 6 damage (at whatever level I am), but if it kills the target, he gets "most of" the gems back. At the level I am, he gets enough back that one more match with Red or Blue will top him off again, so he's a great finisher- AE the opposing group and use him to finish everyone off. Plus, he's pretty tough on his own. Great pull.

Khedar (far east) has a pretty noble dude there who just wants to stop people getting murdered by the undead.

Most purple cards you can get through area quests, they are indeed all pretty beefy, but some of them are questionable in how useful they are. This week you can buy a decently buff purple from the Honor store for 80, so pick that up.

You can sometimes get magic keys from gold vaults (ultimate treasure tiles) in TH. Bag -> Brown -> Green -> Red -> Vault.

For those in the guild, keep pumping cash into the tasks and they start giving better rewards- the level 30something guild I was in before hopping over had tasks that gave 6 keys, 10-ish gems or 2-3 maps a time. Whether you get your investment back is dependent on how many in the guild are pulling their weight with donations, and we get better daily cash if we hop up the leaderboards into higher divisions so PvP away.

Luther (Broken Spire reward) is loving amazing, his skill when maxed gives everyone on your team FIVE higher attack per use. That's a big deal! So I was a bit miffed to find out that my second orange pull shared his mana type (blue/brown) meaning I can't use it because Luther :(.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

vulturesrow posted:

I also have Luther but he doesn't seem that great to me. Also is there room in the goon guild?

NOT FOR YOU.

(Luther's ability is great. At max level it's a flat +5 attack to your entire team.)

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Frogmanv2 posted:

What is max level?

I got Luther, but don't use him. Most of my damage comes from abilities.

Max level for a card is 15, it'll cost you around 3k souls to max a purple. If your damage comes mostly from abilities then yeah, Luther's not the best, but if you're using board clears and shuffles then that extra damage is tasty as gently caress. Even in an all-round team it's fantastic dropping enemies in 2-3 hits rather than 4-5, so if you have a card on your team that isn't pulling their weight then Luther's never a bad sub.

More Gems of War talk;

My team's kind of a mess and lacks focus (avatar with blue backstab weapon/Luther/Gorgotha (Doomstones, explodes 3+Magic(4@15) gems)/Raven (why didn't anyone tell me his Magic goes up to SEVEN, a 10 damage execute is the best thing!) Generally speaking, if I can get Doomstones off (15 brown/yellow) the mana is neverending. 2/3 of a board's worth of mana/skulls, even at 70% return on the mana, plus cascades... that's a lot of mana with a light smack round the head for the other team thrown in. It's a risky play if things are close, but by the time Doomstones goes off they're missing a card and Luther's fired once or twice, so it takes a fuckload of bad luck for things to go wrong. It's entirely possible that the bad AI is the only thing allowing my team to work, but who knows.

I've considered subbing out Gorgotha for Skeleton (Raise the Dead) but it's just too fragile to be useful. There aren't really any other easily obtainable skullmakers, which sucks. Sphinx is a less risky shuffle but doesn't refill your cards' mana, so you end up firing Doomstones more often.

PS: I've started to see 2-colour weapons pop up on players at level 60+, some that do interesting stuff like buff your entire team's Magic + do area damage in a single strike...

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

New Leaf posted:

I also pulled the Goblin King legendary right before the update, so I'm glad they changed the ability with this patch. It was garbage before- so garbage I didn't even read it more than once to remember what it was. Now he "summons goblins".. not sure what that even means.

I fought a guy with it earlier today. If there's an empty spot on your side, he fills it with a Goblin. His was maxed out and summoned level 5 Goblins.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

delfin posted:

Character cards with their info are here.

Of the Epics you can acquire via clearing map locations, I'd rank them roughly like this:

Best tier:
Atlanta - 13 Purple/Yellow, 6 damage to all foes when maxed, 9 base damage. I'd take that over some Legendaries.
Raven - 10 Red/Blue, 10 damage to a foe when maxed, regen 9 of that mana if it kills, 8 base damage. A nice unit for cleanup work.
Keghammer - 12 Brown/Yellow, 10 damage and drain 3 Magic to a foe when maxed, 8 base damage. Good for neutering some annoying enemy skills and doing substantial damage.
Lady Sapphira - 13 Brown/Yellow, 6 True Damage and gain 4 Life / 2 Attack when maxed, 8 base damage. True Damage bypasses armor and thus has obvious uses, and once she hits her skill once she's got great melee damage.
Tau - 11 Blue/Yellow, (5 + Red Gems) Attack to self when maxed, 8 base damage. Revenant too fragile? Try this guy.
Tyri - 8 Green/Purple, Remove all gems of a selected color, gain (10 + Gems/3) gold when maxed, 10 base damage. Great base damage, a cheap skill, and never mind the gold -- "kill any color I want" can set up creative combos when used properly. On the fragile side though.

Good but niche:
Avina - 13 Red/Purple, 11 damage to a foe when maxed and gain 1 soul, 8 base damage. Pretty good directable spike damage, but the soul thing is negligible.
Scarlett - 14 Red/Green, 10 damage to a foe when maxed, double if foe is a beast, 7 base damage. Fighting beasts? She's a killer. But which units count as beasts? Against others, still a good spike but an expensive one.
Luther - 13 Blue/Brown, 5 Attack to all allies when maxed, 7 base damage. The attack boost is nice, but the drawback is that only one unit attacks via skulls at a time so the bonus is just sitting there on the other three until someone dies.
Alastair - 14 Blue/Purple, (5 + Purple Gems/4) Armor to all allies when maxed, 8 base damage. Lets everyone absorb an extra hit from most foes, and there are certain units (Paladin coming immediately to mind) that benefit greatly from that.
Rowanne - 12 Blue/Green, (7 + Armor) damage spread randomly when maxed, 8 base damage. Damage revolves around her Armor stat; keep it high or boost it with Alastair / Templar and she can be brutal. Take an early hit and she's gimped.
Ferit - 10 Purple/Brown, 9 damage and mana drain to the last foe when maxed, 9 base damage. Good melee, useful skill, but the "last foe" clause means half the time you'll be wishing he was hitting someone different.

Mediocre:
Brian the Lucky - 12 Green/Brown, 5 (random attribute) to all allies when maxed, 6 base damage. The key word is "random."
Sparkgrinder - 12 Red/Yellow, 5 Attack and 5 Armor to one ally when maxed, 6 base damage. A nice boost, though obviously more narrow than Luther's.
Elwyn - 12 Green/Yellow, destroy a row and column, do 1 damage per yellow gem destroyed to a random enemy, 7 base damage. He has no Magic boosts at all. If the board is full of yellow he MIGHT do more than a handful of damage. Killing a row is always good but I need to check whether his Destroy gives mana or not.
Emperina - 14 Red/Brown, give ally 3 Life + 3 Attack + Cleanse + Heal when maxed, 7 base damage. Useful if you have some huge unit you need to keep on the board at all costs.
Finley - 12 Red/Green, change all skulls to selected color, gain 7 gold when maxed, 6 base damage. Maybe useful for getting out of a pinch or setting up an occasional combo.

Finley is better than you give him credit for. He removes skulls and replaces them with whatever colour you want, so he not only neuters buff teams but is an easy 4th man for any wombo combo, plus his red/green type has potentially nothing to do with the colour you want him to propagate.

For example, Lich and Finley cover red/green/blue/purple, and combined can spam brown gems everywhere, charging Golgotha's Doomstones (brown/yellow) super fast, clearing the board and recharging them... There's also a killer yellow combo that I can't remember right now.

By contrast, Tyri's skill is much weaker offensively because it only eliminates a mana type from the board instead of converting it. You're not stacking the board in your favour, just slightly annoying the enemy team. Not to mention the fact she's made of tissue paper and wishes...

Avina and Scarlett are both not so good cards. Avina's skill is ok damage for lots of mana, Scarlett's is a gamble on a team you can't see until you fight it (for PvP) or very situational.

Brian the Lucky is in Brian tier because he's awesome and bad

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

AlexJade posted:

As someone still building teams up in Gems of War, is there something better than running the arena for collecting cards? Should I be invading more?

1) don't buy keys ever
2) join a guild
3) give money to guild
4) receive prizes

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Antti posted:

I think they've reduced the gold payout for arena in GoW, I only got 1500 gold for 8-0 today. Getting 2000 and the keys and the 400 souls and the trophies was probably a little too good anyway.

Arena's for souls, Invade's for gold.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Rapner posted:

My girlfriend seems to be playing a lot of Minions Paradise and enjoying it.

It's ok, friend. Sometimes relationships just don't work out.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

FadedReality posted:

I love Spacechem because solving a puzzle feels like you've somehow tricked the game with your super clever solution but then the stats screen comes up and you realize your solution is inefficient and awful compared to everyone else in the world.

It's basically programming, yeah.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

mrkillboy posted:

There's a sequel to Metal Slug Defense out called Metal Slug Attack. Its seems to be pretty much the same game but with more obnoxious F2P stuff added in (random pulls, asynchronous PVP, daily challenges etc.) They've also taken away the ability to buy units with medals :argh:

Literally no reason to play this when The Battle Cats exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Agoat posted:

Are there any games like Game of War that aren't pay to win?

No.