Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Got a swordsman up to 25. Seems pretty decent so far. Definitely feels a lot like the original RO. Kinda digging the autobattle system, and that you can click on the mini map and just autorun somewhere or click on a world location to autorun there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I've never mashed pre-register so fast.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Montalvo posted:

Florence was awful, and is at best a socially maladjusted cretin's attempt at representing a relationship through mangled gameified metaphors. The fact that it was given so much praise is probably more indicative of the romantically lonely life that most game journalists live.

Anyway I'll take a #2 with extra fries, please

It was so well received because it was something that so many people could relate to. I don't think the game would be nearly as impactful if you hadn't gone through the same thing at one time or another in your life.

The actual mechanics were simple and acted as metaphors for what was happening at that moment in time. They even subtly changed throughout the story to reinforce the evolving nature of the relationship. The overall design isn't anything flashy, but the mechanics support the story in a way that makes sense while being very approachable.

The game is quite simply a well-crafted experience that resonates with a lot of people and, in my opinion, well worth the $2 and 30 minutes to play. Or if you just want to kill dragons and grind on slimes, 'Another Eden' is a pretty good game, too.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Looks like the beta for Mario Kart is starting soon. Just got an email about it:

"Thank you for applying for the Mario Kart Tour Closed Beta Test on Android™ devices. Good news: You have been randomly selected to participate! 

Nintendo will send you another email when the Closed Beta Test is ready to start. As a reminder, the Closed Beta Test is scheduled for Wed., May 22 through Tues., June 4. "

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NjHJogHWH8

Sidenote: anyone have T-Mobile that could recommend a decent phone for gaming they provide that isn't going to run me $700+ dollars? I know most of the Samsung phones will run just about anything, but I was just wondering if anyone knew of some lesser known phones they offer that are decent to game on.

I'm on T-Mobile and using a Pixel 3a and it's been a really great phone for like $400. I'm currently playing Dragalia Lost and AFK Heroes without any problems and I've fired up Dota Underlords a few times and have no problems there either.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Hell yeah, Lucius owns.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Go RV! posted:

Dragalia Lost is very ftp friendly, and will be having its anniversary within the month.

It's also an incredibly good game and Cygames has made a ton of great QoL improvements within the first year. That and they actually made the gacha cheaper, and with better value (by removing wyrmprints). They also throw a ton of currency and free pulls at players. Highly recommend it for anyone looking for a good action RPG f2p game.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Can you Auto in Draglia?

Yes, you can auto in just about everything except the most difficult fights. You can even auto in most of the multiplayer raids now, too (big boss fights much like WoW raid bosses). The AI now is quite good and in many ways better than your average pubbie. There's even a 1x, 1.5x, and 2x game speed, it's pretty great.

Skip tickets are also in the game and can be used to straight up skip the lower end content that you've already beaten and just get the rewards and xp instantly. Those are more limited, and most people use them to knock out daily challenges in like two minutes.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Resdfru posted:

Has someone who has played both epic 7 and afk arena compare them?

I tried dragalia again and I just can't get into it. It feels like there is so much going on, 5 different currencies, 15 different upgrade items and 5 different things to I upgrade, I don't even know. Afk arena has a lot going on but it's slowly introduced over a good while so it isn't overwhelming.

Maybe I don't like gachas and I just like afk arena

They're very different games. Most of AFK Arena is spent... being AFK. At certain points you'll get enough upgrades in your characters and you'll be able to actively push through some content, but otherwise most of AFK Arena is logging in for five minutes to do some daily quests.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Thundercracker posted:

If you like that try Final Fantasy Record Keeper. It's essentially a boss battle game with nearly every boss from a FF game, so hundreds of bosses all with very unique battles. Extremely generous too. Just from beginner free rolls and give aways you can a dozen characters easily. Levelling up is trivial and all equipment and abilities are modular.

And hard boss battles are like puzzles. In the Reddit community the biggest brags aren't how much you whaled, but beating end game with starter or free gear

I'm pretty sure I played FFRK for three years starting when it first launched. It's an incredibly good game, especially if you are a final fantasy fan.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Looks like we have one open spot for the AFK Guild now.

Also if we have availability, I'd be happy to fill a deputy spot to help manage invites and hunts and whatnot.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This is exactly how I feel about it.

It seems as though you need certain racers to complete the 5th star on some of the courses. I can't seem to get enough points to get that last star on some of them. I'm comboing, getting dash bonuses, attacking other racers and getting first place and still end up 600 or so points short.

Any tips on getting more points?

My Kart ID: 475337205789

Really the best way is to use karts, characters, and gliders that are favoured on that course and try to hit as many jumps, boosts, and do as many turn boosts as you can. You can also buy all karts, characters, and gliders in the shop for coins, which is pretty nice. I haven't run the math on it, but it might be better for f2p players to do coin rush instead of pulling on pipes.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I did one coin rush for the badge and walked away with a total of 800 coins, using only the 5x rupies for the 2x coin multiplier. If you do each coin rush, for a total of 45 rupies, and get 400 coins each run, you should end up around 7,200 coins. Not a bad haul, but probably better for later when there's a really good character or kart in the shop and you have a bunch of characters and karts already.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

tildes posted:

Is there a good list of the heroes to look for/start building up for the post 160 afk arena game? It seems like my current dudes take me there but no further.

Shemira, Shemira, and Shemira. Once you're anywhere near 150, get your Shemira above 161 and everyone else 150ish. You'll catapult through entire chapters.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Somehow I've managed to pull the shiny car in both Mario Kart banners in two pulls. And then I went and accidentally bought characters and karts in the shop that I thought were new but we're actually dupes for me. It's me, the stereotypical gacha gamer.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I'm very quickly approaching the point in AFK Arena where all I want for Christmas is bluuuuues. I need so many at this point, it's kind of ridiculous.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Final Fantasy Tactics. It's the full, original game for like $10.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Osmosisch posted:

On the story side, Florence is short and sweet.

Florence hit me right in the gut. Such a great game.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

This is the most British description of football conceivable in the English language

Fuckin dying at how accurate this is, but I totally understood what that were saying. High speed, catch, and stamina are the three killer stats for Wide Receivers.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Vulpes posted:

I was enjoying Shop Titans until I was insta-banned for reversing (via Google, not chargeback) a $70 gem purchase my kid made by accident. Kinda soured me on the whole thing.

Is it normal in games for any kind of purchase reversal done through Google Play to result in your account being instantly and permanently banned from the game? Makes me very wary about deliberately spending cash on anything.

Yep, that's pretty standard practice. If your kid can use your phone, and somehow spend money with it, I'd look in to enabling purchase approvals:
https://support.google.com/families/answer/7039872?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&hl=en

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Zotix posted:

Few more spots available in Raid Goons.

Requested as 'Ragnarok Online'

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Aardvark! posted:

Snake Roguelike Autochess to be exact. The units/unit groups/upgrades are straight out of Autochess games.

What the gently caress

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Holy poo poo that owns. That gets my pick for next thread title.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Martman posted:

I think most games have declines in players after people finish playing the game and then play it less. There are plenty of concerns about if Blizzard will work on it going forward, but most of the early problems were "too many people are trying to play the game because it is very popular."

It's just a huge leap to "basically flopped" when a ton of people's reactions are "this still holds up surprisingly well, it looks great, and I played a shitload of it... now I might take a break for a minute, and I hope Blizzard actually puts effort into it going forward"

Yeah, the fall-off in active players is perfectly normal for the vast majority of games that are released these days.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

I'd be down, but trying to imagine the mechanics is making me lol

If it were like Pokemon GO, you'd only find sheep and sticks in the middle of the city, and one small park in the suburbs would occasionally have bricks.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

leper khan posted:

It's been longer from the release of angry birds to now than the release of the NES to the N64

Mods!?!?!?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Using Pasqualina in the Library feels like cheating. You can pretty much pick any level ups and be a tiny god within the first couple minutes.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yeah, King Bible is all the "defense" I've been using and, after a few upgrades, there's almost no fear of taking damage. I do wish the Library unlocked a bit later as it feels a bit too easy to survive the entire run in there and give you all the gold you'll ever need in just a few runs.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

m.hache posted:

That new Honkai game (creators of Genshin Impact) comes out today. Big enough to warrant its own thread? Can't seem to find one in the mobile forums.

There's a thread for it over here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030579

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Also, the Baldur's Gate games are on mobile now and are very good.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Captain France posted:

If you don't mind Gacha and it not being finished, Honkai Star Rail is pretty good. The areas and music are pretty, the writing is fun, it runs well on my Pixel 3a XL that's getting on in years, the combat is less complex than some games but still in depth enough, and the free characters are more than good enough for the story. (And actually in general, usually have at least one on my team in the challenging stuff).
Of course, it IS still a gacha and if that's a deal breaker that's understandable, plus the story isn't finished and currently stops mid arc.

Unrelated: (besides that this is how I know Star Rail runs well on my phone and uses like 1mb an hour in data)
I'm stuck mostly away from my computer for a few days and have been really wanting to play a Metroidvania lately, what good ones are on Android? Preferably cheerful, preferably pixel graphics, controller support is a must. I have both Netflix and Play Pass, but I'm also willing to spend a couple bucks. Any advice?

Castlevania: SotN and Dead Cells are great picks.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I don't know the type of game this is called, but whatever Snood was... Is there a recommended android version? Premium or freeware, I don't care, as long as there's no p2w bullshit or ads all over the place.

Puzzle bobble? Is that what it is?

Oh man, that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. I kinda miss that game, too. Except without the malware or whatever was packaged with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Most of the discussion is happening in the Gacha thread. I don't know if there is any Goon guild mostly because Guilds are per-server and getting everyone on the same server at this point would be a real pain.

For general info, Prydwen is a good resource: https://www.prydwen.gg/afk-journey

For characters, I would highly recommend trying to get at least one copy of the following:

- Smokey & Meerky (highest priority)
- Cecia
- Koko
- Antandra
- Odie
- Rowan
- Brutus

The team of Smokey, Cecia, Koko, Antandra, and Rowan is a comp that will carry you through AFK level 500+, occasionally having to bring in Brutus.