Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Stardew Valley really is perfect in mobile.
God drat it. I just bought it for Vita.

That said, so far it plays great on Vita, but it's another device to carry around. Mostly been just phone-gaming lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

shattered pixel dungeon looks fun. thanks!
Boy I suck at this

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lowness 72 posted:

Hope that helps.
Thank you, that was awesome.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I have weirdly gotten readdicted to You Must Build a Boat ... Ace level 9 now

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

What I find abnormal is that my times go down every ace level haha

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I wish there was more of it ... like an expansion would be amazing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

MonsieurChoc posted:

Even then it's wireless, so easy to get interference.
This is true, but not nearly as huge a deal with 5 GHz wifi as it was with 2.4. I stream stuff via Steam-link through two floors without trouble.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ace 10 in You Must Build a Boat is kicking my rear end haha. Got stuck on ~2 challenges on 9, but this is an absolute slog. Kinda love it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I bought their Photographs when it was new ... and have yet to even try it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

hooah posted:

Why is "match 38 staff tiles" in YMBAB impossible?
Some of the missions are really fussy or you just get really unlucky with what's on the board.

Do you have the pub unlocked? You could drink the potion that gives you more staff tiles...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I finished Ace 10 of YMBaB a few nights ago and ... I need to just delete that now. The second last mission to kill.a reaper before it hits you was a real pain in the rear end. Sometimes if you're lucky the horn will take care of one for you if it's standing behind another creature. I ended up getting it finally with fire + a 5-in-a-row critical.

On Photographs right now ... and good lord these overwrought stories. I'm still kind of curious as to what it's building towards. The puzzles are ... okay. Not my favourite.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My favourite is Nonograms Katana. Mostly bog-standard picross, though it does included multi-colour puzzles under a separate section as well. It does have a tutorial.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Trastion posted:

Nonogram.com is great. Also Nanogram Katana but that one can be intimidating for new users.
My 70 year old mother-in-law learned from Katana and is completely obsessed fwiw. She's always liked newspaper puzzle games though, so it was fun to introduce something new-to-her. (She does play on an old Samsung Tab as opposed to a phone.)

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Aug 19, 2020

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I mean I've played through it at least four times on various consoles/devices but at that price...

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

explosivo posted:

I started playing SOTN again on the android version for the first time and it's pretty dang good, it's cheaty as gently caress but it autosaves every room and you can 'continue' after you die and it puts you at the last room you entered.
I've played through that games so many times over the years, and honestly that sounds great, and how a mobile port should work. So you're not screwed when your OS shuts off the game because you needed to look at notifications or something, and didn't immediately get back to it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You Must Build A Boat.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've been sticking through it. To me it's one of those perfect games to walk away from and come back hours, days, weeks later, and then feel like a loving genius for finally spotting the solution.

I'd get it on my phone, but I've put enough time into the desktop one, and I'm pretty sure Slay the Spire is that last thing I ever need on my phone.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

XCOM2 is coming to Android soon and I can't wait. Playing through XCOM:EW on my commute to work is definitely a highlight of Android Gaming to me and I wish there were more PC ports because I'll happily pay for that quality even if I already own the game on PC.
Oh sweet. Was wondering if that would ever happen. I swore I'd never play EW again after over 100 hours and ironman classic, but the android port sucked me in once again.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Anyone play any of the GTA3 series of games on their phone? I have an 8bitdo controller and have never really given those games any time, so this really be my first dive into them.

I have Chinatown Wars already, but I'm specifically wondering about 3, VC, and/or SA. Or the Stories ones, if those are any good.
I think I would only recommend SA. I have Vice City on my phone, and it's a blast from the past, but the gameplay/controls have aged so terribly. San Andreas was such a vast improvement in your character's mobility, and plays much more like a modern game: you can actually swim instead of drowning from your toe touching the water; you can actually scale walls instead of being blocked by a knee-high enclosure. It had much better aiming available too iirc, though not sure how that translates to mobile.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Haven't touched another game since Slay the Spire ported. Now on Ascension 18 and have killed the heart with the Silent.

I was enjoying it all along, but geez it just clicked when I got choosy about what cards I add (i.e. skip more often than not) and often use my removes to get rid of the basic strikes/defends.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This is why I gave up on Rogue Adventure. The balance seems really obvious/off.

Conversely, StS feels like the best-designed game I've ever played.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I guess I should give it another shot because so far, I hate it. I don't want to, but I do.
I had friends/coworkers rave about it, and I just didn't get it for months. I wish I could remember exactly what moment caused it to click for me, but eventually it did.

It's almost Souls-like in the sense that (besides the opening early runs where it gradually introduces more tools/complexities) you have all the tools you require, but you just learn to use them better. But instead of action/twitch reflexes, it's more strategic, mathematical, and some chance/probability. But the latter is less than you would expect. And you can learn to play/strategise to mitigate/demolish chance events.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

thecluckmeme posted:

I feel really dumb playing it because I understand the strategy to win, I know that I should be replacing strikes/defends with other cards depending on what build I'm going for, and I've made it to the heart twice, but I have no loving idea how to build a deck to kill it. I have never been able to remove enough cards, get enough relics, and shuffle through the deck to get kill combos off with the first three characters.

It reminds me a lot of playing the Binding of Isaac when all you get for a run is just piddly items that don't matter, no game-breaking combos. I could theoretically still win based on skill/reaction alone, but it's going to take at least an hour and I'm going to be frustrated the whole time
I have no idea what is best, or ideal, but I don't think I really clued into removing strikes/defends (or transforming) until I was somewhere at like Ascension 15-16. But I couldn't kill the heart at first, and just focused on Ascension levels. After all that time and learning (the Ascensions really force you to adapt and learn to deal with crappy situations) the heart suddenly became easy and I beat it on my first attempt (though I switched back to Ascension 1 to do it). I'm guessing Ascension 1 is the easiest to kill the heart on ... the extra elites let you farm for more relics, and with some experience, they become pretty easy to defeat.

I think a lot of it is to not focus on a specific build, and figure out how to best adapt to what you're offered. Something that blows me away still after 300+ hours is discovering incredible combos/synergies.

My most ridiculous recent deck turned out to be one with Nightmare, a couple Accuracy cards, and shivs, and supporting relics like the one that causes a random card to cost 0 when you play a power, and the boss one that adds 4 to 0-cost cards. I never bothered with Nightmare for whatever reason, but being able to consistently pump out shivs that were doing 20-40 damage each was hilarious.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

thecluckmeme posted:

:psyduck:

I thought you had to kill the heart to get to the next Ascension. I have been on the first one this whole time. When people talk about being A:16 I assumed they had killed the heart that many times.

I feel like less, and more, of a dumbass now
Aw, it's not obvious. Buy yeah I've spent most of my time playing avoiding the things you need to access the heart, which make it even harder.

I have no idea if I'll ever be able to manage an Ascension 20 heart kill, but we'll see.

edit: the "worst" part is that I've mostly focused on The Silent ... even after that I have practically 3x more game to go. But I may just find other characters not as fun and not bother. I unfortunately doubt that'll be the case though.

edit2: I wonder if it's technically possible to beat every single seed

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 26, 2021

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Kheldarn posted:

Feel free to drop by the Slay The Spire thread. There's pretty much always somone around to give advice, tips, and tricks.

...I should probably follow that too ha. Thanks!

Been in a weird mode for years on SA where 99.9% of my time I just read the threads in my control panel.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

As someone who grew up perpetually behind the curve on PC stuff, 30fps has always been glorious. I played stuff like Jedi Knight at a fraction of that haha.

I can perceive the difference with 60fps, but I really don't care. I really cannot tell at all beyond that. Woo ... my phone apparently does 120Hz ... does not look at all different to me heh.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Sorry, I don't remember that mission, but that was a drat great game and I am planning on getting back to it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

What's the best Picross game, premium or otherwise?

I'm in a "follow number clues and get the visual equivalent of a Crackerjack box prize" mood. That isn't meant as a complaint. Picross is wonderful.
I think Nonograms Katana is best/biggest, but the Konami one is "surprisingly good" and free (with ads), and a fun nostalgia trip if you were ever into their stuff.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tann posted:

Sorry, there's no way currently. I haven't figured all this stuff out yet, it's complicated with all these different stores. I want the reverse: android Slay the Spire because I have the steam version :)
FWIW you can copy and paste your save data from the Steam to the Android version.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Nonograms Katana is the best, but the Konami one is "surprisingly good" and full of nostalgia.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Slice & Dice is going to get me fired

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

This was probably my best synergy yet ... the item negates the one-use tiles.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Weird, I've fought it several times without doing anything special afaik. Even before I had streaks going on normal difficulty.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Tann, is it alright to report a little bug here?

On Android, even when the game sound is muted, it still seems to be seeking sound-priority over other apps/devices. Like when my bluetooth headphones are connected to both my phone and laptop, the game keeps interrupting the laptop even though there should be no sound. As well, when I'm wearing the headphones but not listening to anything else, I can hear them gently click on and off each turn.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Awesome, I'll let you know. But yeah, I figured it was worth mentioning because I haven't noticed other games/apps do that.

One random compliment ... this game seems to just sip the battery on my phone. It drains substantially faster if I'm playing like Slay the Spire.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

hooah posted:

That's funny, because I think all three games I play regularly override the volume like you describe.

When game volume is set to 0? The priority stuff is messy in Android (and Bluetooth), but nothing else I play does it when sound is shut off on the app. Some stuff seems able to mix it too with other app sound no problem. (On Android, not Bluetooth.)

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Every time I play Slice and Dice, I'm reminded of some sort of turn based RPG where hurting an enemy also reduced that unit's strength and attack power.

It was a different way to approach and strategize fights, because you could either completely kill a given enemy, or at least reduce their power so they weren't a big threat.

Anyone know of what game or games I'm referring to?

Sounds like Advance Wars-style games.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I didn't know/remember HoMM did that. The only game I ever played like that series used the same engine, but was a wonderful Norse spin-off called Hammer of the Gods.

...okay, reading about it now, I had no idea Hammer of the Gods came before Heroes and influenced them.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

AnonSpore posted:

Is there something like Lemmings that isn't Lemmings? Apparently the official Lemmings game is riddled with IAP.
Can confirm the official game is a sad disaster. The Vita version was pretty good? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

It's on Steam these days too, but still really enjoying The Battle of Polytopia.

You can play the game in a good meaningful way completely for free. The microtransactions add more civs to the mix which can make the game much more complicated/longer. They're mostly reasonably priced, and they have sales. (There's literally an "I'm rich" civ that's $6 CAD, but the rest of the normal ones are $1.60. There are also unique ones that are a buck more, and they have unique rules. I haven't tried them yet.)

It's a Civilization-like game, but focused down to tile/turn-based tactics and resource-allocation.