Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I never heard of Chick-Fill-A until I read Tucker Max's book about being an rear end in a top hat (and his followup book about being a rich rear end in a top hat) and then the next time I heard of it it was because they were homophobic. Then I found out their slogan is basically a desperate anthropomorphic Jew-cow trying to quissling his way or whatever it's called to good favor by selling out another race to the ovens. Everything about them sounds terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I don't know if this fits the spirit of the thread, but for a long time I've seen the Toyota truck or whatever labeled "4Runner" and I've casually asked people what that meant, but nobody has ever actually had an answer. I guess I also never asked a truck person.

I always thought it was like a phonetic play on words, like "foreigner", or maybe a fun way of writing "forerunner", and if not that then maybe the 4 implied like 4 wheel drive, like it was a four-runner?

According to Toyota’s FAQ archive, it's a portmanteau of "four-wheel drive" and "off-road runner". That is an exceptionally convoluted and somehow lazy portmanteau, somehow even less interesting than what I had guessed. I didn't expect to be disappointed by something so trivial, and yet I am :\

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I had an autistic diagnosis a few years ago and another neurodivergent friend told me that she could tell right away, before my diagnosis, just based on the way I text. She says I have no understanding of "polite texting" as she called it. "For instance," she says. "You always end your texts with a period*."

So what? I says to her. That's not polite?

She says there's a subtext to it, that I clearly don't read, but others do. Which is why nobody else ends their texts or instant messages with a period.

And I said, What? What the gently caress are you talking about? Of course everyone ends their texts with periods. Otherwise there would be chaos and anarchy.

But then I checked and motherfuck my world is blown away. I am the only one out of like a dozen people I message that actually ends messages with a period. If there are multiple sentences in a text, they use punctuation, all but the last period. People think I'm autistic because I'm consistent with punctuation? How did I not even notice people do this? This is polite texting?!

*the big reveal here is that people will use punctuation if it's a question, or if they want to add exclamation points, but if it's a period, everyone just leaves the sentence to hang!!!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
You guys remember when signing your posts was a thing?

Except here because you would get probation.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Ugh, I deal with a lot of document writing and coordination between other people, and I hate it every time the older folks send me stuff with double spacing. I grew up right at the time where I goofed around on a typewriter as a kid, but computer word processing was around enough by the time that I learned formal writing that double spacing was no longer a thing. I just want to yell at everyone, you don't need to do that anymore! You haven't needed to do it for decades!
:negative:

This is another thing I only learned a few months ago. I've been double-spacing after periods my entire life, and not because I grew up on typewriters. It was how I was taught in like third grade and it just seemed like at no point did anyone tell me the rules had changed.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
On the subject of grammar, help settle an argument betwixt a friend and I:

(referring to some skis, poles, boots and gloves I returned on behalf of a friend to a rental place)

"Your equipment have been returned."

She says I'm wrong. I say it's a collective noun. She says it's an uncounted noun which is different, and in any case linguistically it's wrong because nobody talks like that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this is wrong

Baron von Eevl posted:

What these other posters said

I think maybe I might be right though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Red Metal posted:

that's just how HTML works

You know, even though it's like only this year I learned double-spacing no longer is a thing, I should have inferred this the very first time I put together an Angelfire website in fuckin 1998.

__666 DIABLO KILLERZ 666__ will ever be under construction, a counter manually altered to look like there's more traffic, and with a guestbook filled with fake entries.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Text should be presented in spreadsheet form only, each word and space given its own cell.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've never felt more aligned with people than when in like 2004 we all collectively turned on Homestar Runner.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Shifty Nipples posted:

It never occurred to me that "beaucoup" (bookoo) was spelled like that, I thought it was just a made up word that I would have tried to spell "bookoo" cause it was made up and didn't have some fancy way to spell it.

I actually thought "beaucoup" was just the ironic way of spelling what wasn't actually a word :O

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Shifty Nipples posted:

I don't know much about how French words are spelled so if the word in that phrase is the same as the word I thought was buku/bookoo then I just figured something else out.

e: by which I mean that I never thought about how merci beaucoup was spelled or how many individual words it is, like the "bow koo" could have been two words for all I knew

Me, too. I've heard buku or beaucoup and I've heard merci beaucoup but I didn't make the connection until now :O

The society for maintaining the French language is the Académie Française and are made up of a group called The Immortals:

quote:

The Académie comprises forty members, known as les immortels ("the immortals").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acad%C3%A9mie_Fran%C3%A7aise

credburn has a new favorite as of 02:53 on Mar 22, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Google it, I guess?

Edit: ah ironically it stands for Search Engine Optimization

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

finniSh Energy cO-operative

I see it now.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hyperlynx posted:

I vaguely remembered a song my mum used to sing bits of, something like "riding along on your pushbike, honey". I looked it up last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpiyv6RszTM

It turns out it's turbo horny.

Jesus Christ.

I just learned two things from the Funny Pictures thread:

According to Urban Dictionary, a "bussy" is:

quote:

Slang term used by gay men to connote Boy-Pussy. In reference to their anus.

And this led me to learn that this rapper that my neighbor has been telling me is a "close personal friend" of his is not named "Little Bussy" as I've been hearing it for the last decade, but "Lil Boosie."

"You should listen to Little Pussy, he's a close personal friend of mine."
"Little Pussy?"
"Yeah."
"Pussy?"
"No, Bussy."
"Pussy?"
"Bussy"
"Your friend is named Little Bussy?"
"Yeah, Little Pussy."
"Are we saying pussy or bussy?"
"Little Bussy, he's a close personal friend of mine."

We were saying neither.

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Apr 3, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Stuff I can't believe I just figured out:

• Sea shanties are suddenly very popular
  • Sea shanties are racist
  • DontMockMySmock has red text
  • DontMockMySmock did not deserve red text
  • DontMockMySmock did deserve maybe red text but not that red text

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Well, this is where I go to learn what I missed out on 1 to 2 years prior.

That would explain why two years ago a band my ex was in decided to do an entire set of sea shanties.

I thought there was a brief sea shanty thing that came up when Assassin's Creed IV came out, but that was like ten years ago now.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I haven't heard anything close to a sea shanty in six years, I don't know where you guys are being so inundated by it enough to hate them.

Though I do have a lot of Running Wild on my Spotify list. You guys know them? It's pirate themed metal. They're okay.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Torquemada posted:

There are no atheists in forecastles.

God drat but that is solid.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Captain Splendid posted:

Yiddish literally just means "Jewish"

I did not know this.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Red Hot Chili Peppers has a lot of really good songs and it is really narrow-minded to speak so broadly about a band whose oeuvre encompasses a wide spectrum of styles and themes, not to mention actual generations between now and when they started. Their old stuff sounds nothing like their new stuff; I personally don't like much of the new stuff, except I really did like that one song that was on Californication but wasn't Californication and wasn't Scar Tissue :\

Edit: by "new stuff" I mean Californication and on. jfc I'm showing my age and curmudgeonry.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I honestly am more okay with people complaining about something that's popular than all the people who are getting way too defensive about their extremely popular thing being poo poo on.

The Internet is a space to shout your unpopular opinion at. There's also a thread here specifically for that. But it can go here, too. We can all be friends.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Creature posted:

Stereogum's The Number Ones column has been all about Puff Daddy/Notorious B.I.G over the last couple of weeks. I don’t know anything about rap so I’ve been learning a lot.

I was 11 years old at the time I'll Be Missing You was a hit. It’s one of those songs that I’ve been aware of but never really gave much thought. All I knew was that the vocals were by Biggie's wife. But all these years I’d thought it was weird how she did that song, then switched to country pop. I’ve never questioned it though.

It was Faith Evans. Not Faith Hill. They’re different people. :downs:

I'll Be Missing You is the laziest song ever made. I normally don't like covers because they often just sound like the original, but this song isn't even a cover, nor is it even sampling. It's just changing most of the lyrics to an already existing song. It's a Weird Al song that isn't funny.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

Thanks to Todd In The Shadows I just figured out that "Don't Worry, Be Happy" is an acapella song. It's pretty obvious in hindsight, I guess I just never felt the need to listen closely because it sounds like just a "regular" song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noow9NqBvA8

I never noticed this until you mentioned it. Now I am terrified that there is going to be this wave of confirmation bias, where I'll see person after person after person make this discovery and it'll feel weird as gently caress.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Much like it wasn't until now that I ever realized Don't Worry Be Happy is acapella, I also never considered that vampire fangs weren't just sharp straws. This thread is really living up to its ambition. Unlike the Post Funny Pictures thread, which is very disappointing.

Philippe posted:

Air is stored in the balls.

What is all this "nards" and "stored in the balls" and other weird phrasings I'm seeing more and more here?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I remember Mrs. Doubtfire had a scene where a kid said something like, "I saw her peeing; she has nards." I was in a room full of girls and I was awkward and shy and like 10, and got embarrassed or something. My mother and her stupid loving friends would call me "nards" for years after that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Wasabi the J posted:

My mom called me dildo occasionally because I guessed the word meant idiot when asked.

For like 5 years.

Well, now I have this avatar. It's like she's always there. I mean my mom; not yours.

One thing I didn't figure out until I was halfway through my twenties is that there is no such thing as "spitting moths." My mother just had little water pistols she'd constantly shoot me with. Her and her stupid loving friends.

So on the topic of nards; I definitely heard nards from somewhere. I thought it was Mrs. Doubtfire. I've seen Monster Squad, but that scene doesn't seem familiar. In my head the word "nards" was associated with someone pretending to be a woman. Was there a scene like that in 3 Ninjas, maybe?

Time to scour the Internet for nards.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

Thor 2 sucks, but Thor is the only MCU stuff I'm still onboard for

Thor 2 is the only movie I think I dislike more than Thor but Ragnarok was good enough to change my feelings toward the franchise as a whole.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Your mom is cool as gently caress

When I was around the age of 10, the age when she and her stupid loving friends used to call me Nards and shoot me with water pistols she had gotten very upset with me over something, and just before storming off she shouted, "I should have swallowed you!"

I remember casually sharing this weird anecdote with my fiancee eleven years later, this story about the time my mom made this weird comment about cannibalism and my ex clued me in on what the actual implication was.

I'm oversharing about my mom itt

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Torquemada posted:

The Microwave Defence.

What is this?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
In doing research about Microwave's Mom I discovered that someone comes up every few years to ask about Microwave's Mom. Fortunately, I got all the info I needed from past times others have asked about it, but if past Microwave's Mom iterations are indicative, I apologize for derailing the next four pages as they will probably have a lot to do with Microwave's Mom.

Edit: though I did come upon this in my research:

credburn has a new favorite as of 20:19 on May 24, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A friend this morning educated me that when people say they want to "smash that" or "hit that", "that" is not "the woman," but like an abstraction of a woman, or maybe specifically her vagina, abstract or otherwise.

I always felt uncomfortable in the 2000s when I heard people say "I'd hit that," because... I knew they meant sex, but I always just translated it as "'I'd hit that woman, meaning I would have sex with her."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Prior to widely available glass- and plasticware, water was drunk from jugs. Hence, "nice jugs and anus".

Just yesterday my friend referred to my other friend as "the one with the big cans" :\

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Ah that follows

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Lately I've been seeing a lot of two lanes that turn left and right, with respective signals, but the left-turn signal has an arrow pointing left whilst the right-turn signal has a sign that literally says "RIGHT TURN SIGNAL"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Silver Falcon posted:

That sign is there to distinguish it from the through signal, so you don't think you can safely go straight through the intersection when it's trying to tell you that you can turn right.

Hmmm. If memory serves, it's a T-intersection; you can't go through. But I could be wrong. Now I need to seek out where I've seen this (two different locations in the next town over) and investigate.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

But like they are so wrong tho? And they have never heard about Teddy Roosevelt saying "wtalk softly, and carry a big stick" tho?

I never understood that quote. I know he said it and it's a famous quote but whatever it's meaning to say is lost on me. I guess I imagine that guy from that movie who beat up his old town with a 2x4.

SYCBYJFO: Today I see Microsoft Internet Explorer is officially gone, and it made me realize... Edge is not just Internet Explorer with a hip new name? It's actually an entirely different browser meant to look basically the same and function as a means for me to download the browsers I want?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Kantesu posted:

Yeah, but it's also named after a Halo thing, and everybody loves Halo, right?

Haha, it was a long time after I got Windows 10 that I saw the Cortana thing, and I kept thinking that name was weirdly familiar but I couldn't remember why until my ex reminded me it was that voice from Halo (I only played the first one; didn't they sexy her up or something later?)

Got to say I find it kind of weird to incorporate video game terms and elements into the OS. Maybe that says something about the current generation working at Microsoft. If it had been me I would have called Edge something more relevant to my generation, like Clippy's World Wide Web MS Paint Thread Accessor

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Edging makes more sense now that I put it in context of using a browser. I always thought it was a sex thing.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I've never, ever, ever understood how one is even supposed to "pull yourself up by your boot straps" but I listened to boomers tell me this for thirty years.

Turns out, the original phrase was meant to be a sarcastic metaphor illustrating the futility of trying to accomplish an impossible thing, but it's been mangled to suggest independence or to condemn those who rely on others for aid? Argh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Working years in the graveyard shift, I found I had a very different understanding of the AM / PM differential as to how it affected what "tomorrow" meant. Since I was going to bed at probably 10 AM, your "tomorrow" at 1 AM is very different than my "tomorrow". It'll be tomorrow for you before today ends for me.