Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All I'm seeing there is that apparently in pockets near the Great Lakes people don't wear shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

Atlantic Canada too. I've only heard "tennis shoes" in 80s movies.

We had a resurgence of tennis shoes in Quebec about a year ago but now nobody wants to talk about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not how this thread works.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rydiafan posted:

You're wrong.

You're right.

With the strong bones all this milk has given me I can easily slide these goalposts back.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A white-winged dove is a specific kind.

And they're mostly brown.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe he actually won a contest naming him the best there ever was.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Madlibs is a pun on ad-lib.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Another factor would probably be that in many areas there are shelters specifically for women, because of the higher risk.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a joke and/or urban legend.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Travis343 posted:

pyf place to scope homeless babes

Anywhere really, as long as I have the high ground.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What you should be worried about is that they can totally climb into your bed if they want to.

Edit: Dumb phone.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 01:49 on Jun 16, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

FFT posted:

to be fair, it is interesting that Bulba Fett is only a few years older than Luke yet has established himself as a galactic bounty hunter rather than a moisture farmer.

but then by the time Luke hits Fett's age in Empire he's Jedi Jesus so who knows who got the better end of that deal.

oh, right, the one that didn't get eaten by a gigantic sandy version of vagina dentata.

Boba Fett is so super badass that he eventually jets out of the pit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

My school was K-6, JH was 7-9, HS was 10-12. I know that some places have senior-only schools, or skip junior high and have HS be 7-12, or have a middle school that's 7/8, JH that's 9/10, and HS that's 11/12. Are there any other common combinations?

Quebec is K-6, 7-11, then something called CEGEP for 2 years, then university
OR
For some programs CEGEP for 3-4 years total instead, and you get a degree.

They're referred to elementary, and highschool. Though when I went the grades in HS were typically called Sec(ondary) 1 through 5.

Some schools offer a voluntary grade 12 instead of CEGEP if you're planning on going to university out of province/country.

I don't think CEGEP is mandatory though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Tomb Raider when you're holding a torch, it imitates fire.

The new controller that comes with the Pro (and will replace the standard one in stores eventually, I assume) seems to have better battery life.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Simpsons has a Parson.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shneak posted:

I'm not handling the knowledge that Rooney Mara and Kate Mara are sisters well. How did this never occur to me before?

They're also both Rooney Mara. That's their last name(s).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sweeperbravo posted:

A similar thing happened on Hey Arnold. Gerald's voice change was worked into the actual script, but Arnold's voice actor changed 4 times with no in-show acknowledgement. To be fair, I think most of us as kids didn't notice it unless someone else pointed it out.

I remember Nick making a big deal out of Hey Arnold having a voice cast of kids. They were constantly talking that up in commercials before it premiered.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In Eastern Canada there's a chain called Giant Tiger. So in French it's Tigre Geant.

Everyone I know calls it "Tiger Giant" and I hate them.

You know how French works you idiots you took it for at least 11 years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phy posted:

The guy I saw in traffic yesterday with "SAINTS" and a fleur-de-lis on his rear window was probably a fan of the football team and not the video game street gang.

Unless it was purple.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Humans do that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Up to and including the Gamecube I meant. I don't know how well the Wii/U takes punishment and the Switch seems fairly fragile

The Switch develops a bend just from being in its own dock.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unkempt posted:

Huh. So what would a male version of 'Maria' be?

We don't make male versions of female names.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We beat both those losers in WW2 and can call their stuff whatever the hell we want.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macarius Wrench posted:

I only just realised Spongebob Squarepants is a sponge

For background context, I'm 31, I've never watched an episode and have only maybe seen the intro on youtube and heard the theme song without paying any attention to it

I forget how it came up but a few nights ago at a family BBQ I discovered many of my family members thought Spongebob's parents are cookies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're sponges.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Besesoth posted:

True enough!

Here's another Calendar Fun Fact: we don't know what "April" means. Our best guess is that it's related to the Greek "Aphrodite", maybe through Etruscan, but since Etruscan isn't just dead but extinct (we only know a few hundred words of Etruscan, and none of them are helpful), we can't be sure.

My birthday is in February.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

The song Mr. Burns sings, "Like my Vest" is a takeoff of the Beauty and the Beast song "Be my Guest".

The song is See My Vest, which makes it a bit more obvious too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

Leopards and jaguars are literally panthers.

e: Well, the other way around really. There's no animal called panther that isn't either a leopard or jaguar. Except in the US because Americans are really loving stupid.

Tigers, Lions, Jaguars and Leopards are also all Panthera.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Powaqoatse posted:

I wasn't sure if I wanted to click a toilet youtube, but I did & holy poo poo do American water traps really snake like that :pwn:

American toilets have a higher water line so you don't have to keep a poo poo brush next to it all the time.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The water line is higher in addition to the higher bowl.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

syscall girl posted:

People are allowed to choose their own names. For a SAG card or just because.

That's rarely true, mostly just in the US.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s a disease and everyone has it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...is this a joke I'm missing or did you mean "toque"?

Uh, you mean tuque.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I bet this dude like never goes outside the lines.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tad Naff posted:

The reason we call them "pencil crayons" in Canada at least is because of bilingualism. There's a whole genre of Canadian idioms that arise from having both French and English on packaging and people not reading things in the intended way. I'm sure there's some sort of analogue in the States except with Spanish.

My in laws all call Giant Tiger ‘Tiger Giant’ because the the stores have to be called Tigre Geant here.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The apostrophe bit is not true. We have McDonald's and Wendy's here, among many others.

It's not uncommon for companies to drop apostrophes. Starbucks doesn't have one either.

Edit: Bureau en Gros just being Staples is another one of those Quebec names people don't realize. I say Staples all the time at work when talking about office supply orders and people are always so surprised when they find out.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Jan 25, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I was born in the US but my parents immigrated so they have accents. I don't, in what I'm pretty sure was a conscious effort not to sound like them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Does that hold true when speaking specifically and exclusively to them as well?

Maybe once upon a time, but not anymore.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jerry Cotton posted:

The first time I saw a product name that contained "naked AF" I almost chuckled. (It's naked as opposed to coated.) Same with "screwed double nipples".

e: Oh yeah and a new one: "sounding cock".

That's the whole joke at Hooters, they ask if you want the wings breaded or naked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fullroundaction posted:

goons don’t understand stacking Tupperware, despite eating exclusively out of it, News at 11

Dominos doesn't deliver in tupperware, moron.