Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

One of my favorite overlays for the Requiem Clans is actually the first season of the new Hannibal series. The main five characters represent those Clans without much need for interpretation at all.

Will Graham (Mekhet) - He is able to understand the minds of others so well, that he constantly risks forgetting his own personality when confronted with the evidence of stronger personalities. After he's put on the FBI task force for serial killers, he is constantly faced with stronger personalities and walks the edge between becoming those personalities to better catch the culprit, and lingering as those personalities with their murderous leaning.

Hannibal Lecter (Ventrue) - The exquisite and talented surgeon cum psychologist cum cannibal, Lechter epitomizes the mastery of self turned to the mastery of others. He sees himself as perfection, or at least the closest thing to it, and in his unique lonliness seeks to create others in his own image. He recasts his patients into killers themselves and takes Will on as a personal protege. For those that don't live up to his standard, he kills and devours himself, allowing them to at least be part of something better, and to not sully the world with their lack of quality.

Jack Crawford (Nosferatu) - The gruff and brutal head of the FBI Behavioral Science unit who utilizes Graham and Hannibal both to round out his team. His relationships are always dark - pushing everyone around him to their breaking points. Of all the characters, he is the one without any sort of redeeming relationship. Everything ends in emotional or physical pain. The first of episode of season 2 sees Crawford in an excellent fight scene that I can't look at anything beyond his Vigor vs. his opponent's Resilience.

Alana Bloom (Daeva) - The beautiful doctor and surrogate conscience for both Lecter and Graham, Bloom needs people desperately, while at the same time keeping them at arms length. At the end of the day, much like Jack, she never chooses the good option in a relationship. Given multiple chances to fix things or protect those around her, when faced with the loss of that companionship - she hesitates, and the consequences are both harsh and obvious.

Garett Jacob Hobbs (Gangrel) - The first serial killer that the team unites to take down, Hobbs worships the hunt. All of his kills are based upon the analogy of the deer hunt, though the series heavily delves into differences between stalking and luring (hunters and fishers). When Graham is integral in the apprehension of Hobbs' capture and death, Hobbs becomes a recurring theme in Graham's altered personality. The nature of the hunt takes Graham on a new and darker journey against other serial killers, and eventually Lecter himself.

The main conflict between Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter is literally the best thematic example of subtle Auspex vs. Dominate I've seen.

As a bonus, I pretty much just replace 'Serial Killer' with 'Diablerist' to complete the Requiem overlay in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Crion posted:

What the gently caress

Perhaps I'm overthinking it. Or oversharing. Probably both.

I like vampires.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

moths posted:

Even if the game turns out to be the mechanically best Onyx Path offering, it seems like it's headed in the wrong direction for me - and entirely the right direction for people I never want to sit at a table with again.

Yeah. but that seems to be a working as intended deal. All of the new editions seem to follow the base premise of, "These are games made for people with adult, competent, groups."

Open games, pickup games, or games with internal group issues are not the target audience. On one hand this frees you up a lot to not have to worry about universal balance or the like, on the other sometimes it seems like a cosmic event to have a full table of adults where you don't have to auto-balance at the table.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Showing backstabbing through NPCs can sometimes work in my LARP experience, but it also just as often seems to lead to an us-against-the-ST mentality from the same good-guy playerbase. It always seems like pulling teeth getting the younger players to embrace the PvP aspects of vLARP. Either they don't want to be mean, or when someone actually does start going head to head, one side quickly gets frustrated and escalates right to PKills, thus chilling out further thoughts of players taking risks against each other. They just unify and wait for the chapter bad-guys to show up so they can fight.

10 years ago it was D&D games, but also WoW and MMOs which were the big influences of people. The character-building slow accrual of XP from MMOs/LARP combined with perma-death is a hard combo for people to accept. And the people who do accept it can often have the I don't give a poo poo attitude about the whole game and can be more disruptive than conducive.

Random attempts at mitigation: Giving the PCs scarce resources to fight over (feeding grounds, special sites, relics) is a good intro into the kiddie-pool of PvP. For players with Mentors or Allies who need favors, I tend to make those favors be PvP in nature rather than straight up sandbox. Incentivize PvP by hyping up players who start getting into the spirit of it. Give PvP bonuses in addition to roleplaying bonuses. Allow people who get ganked to have a starting boost to any new character to soften the loss.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

I seriously want to take up a collection and professionally pay a person to run Beast simultaneously with every Vampire LARP, pickup, or convention game I'm in from here on out. The giant sucking sound as the players who only want to play superhero monster bully-beaters rush to Beast and away from a more nuanced political game will be music to my ears.

And is that it? Is it all a joke? Is this the Players bloodline from Requiem 1E but as its own entire line? Has OPP looked into the souls of the playerbase in general, found them wanting, and given them this?

Did we do this to ourselves?

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

"This faction should be sympathetic, and this faction should not be." - Is there any other splat or antagonist where the book gets in between the playgroup and says this directly? It's one thing to portray a group as sympathetic or not in the writing, but I can't remember any case of the devs tapping me on the shoulder and saying, "Uh, you're doing it wrong."

It's especially annoying because, yeah, balance does seem like a 'myth' to some of the developers when looking at certain abilities / powers that come rolling out, and the general response to balance criticism seems to be, "You're a responsible gaming adult. Balance should occur at your table in a healthy fashion. We give you a toolbox, and we expect you to use some of the tools, discard others, and modify the rest." I dislike that concept, since if you ever do public, pickup or convention games, a good game balance helps cut down a lot of noise / strife. But now suddenly we're getting hard-coded on the relationship we should have with Heroes/Beasts as players?

It's like the theme is, "Hey - Joseph Campbell, the guy who wrote the Hero's Journey? Yeah? Well, gently caress that guy. We're gonna write a better story, it's called Beast." Except that Campbell didn't write the Journey story, he teased out a common thread in heroic stories and myths that seems to resonate across virtually every culture. As if you could subvert that narrative by tacking on some random bits of "Actually, see, the heroes aren't people. They are the real beasts with no agency and only instincts to hunt/kill." And not actually address how the beasts/chaos aspect in the Journey is also subverted. Subverting what the Hero is doesn't actually add sympathy somewhere else.

Finally:

Corporations are manufacturing a product which causes cancer in people living close the factory.

Corporation A has no idea that they are causing cancer. (Hero)
Corporation B understands the link, and so moves the factory to a war torn region where only assholes will get cancer (Beast 1)
Corporation C understands the link, and doesn't give a poo poo. (Beast 2)

Who on earth says Corp A is the worst most unsympathetic of the bunch? Even getting away from the "who had a choice in being created" issue and only focusing on their choices now, a person who understands they are causing harm and refuses to stop is less moral than the person causing the same harm and not knowing it.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

So what does the Prince do, when presenting with a shopping list of targets, which all but has "delegate these tasks to player characters to get them involved and give them a chance to earn status and favor or gently caress up and earn disfavor" printed across the top? In a game where players often complain that the game is too PVP-focused and that they want more PVE stuff to do at game? The Prince distributes the tasks to their coterie, who file a coordinated list of downtime and influence actions intended to knock out the entire list in email between games, keeping it all not only to themselves, but in their email accounts rather than in-game. The players in question are all too experienced not to know better, too.

What was the at-game resolution plan? Was it all mundane, or were there going to be some ghost shenanigans as the new players started wrecking the fetters during the session? Not sure how you are running downtimes, but the personal ones where the coterie goes themselves can probably be handled without Masq breaching, but mortal influences can tend to lose their poo poo when objects start flying around or their mafia goons get possessed. If the Prince at all understood that these things were ghost related, then that's fair warning that they should have a PC handle it.

I'm not sure there's a good way to solve the plot-hoarding problem without addressing it as a playgroup directly. If nothing else you have an example of an honest attempt by the STs to put PvE issues into game, but having the distribution fail because of player actions. You said the Prince's player is a veteran, but how reasonable are they? It'd a little meta, but can you flag certain plots like these for 'newb distribution' so the player knows they are safe to give out without worrying about city-wide threats or consequences escalating when the new players inevitably eff it in the bee.

That doesn't do anything to address the inherent balance a Praxis Coterie has to strike between effectiveness and boredom. On one hand, if the Prince seems to start a ghost-war because he gave PvE plots to newbs rather than effectively solving the situation himself, that's an easy hook for a Praxis challenge. One the other, if players get too bored, Praxis attempts are at least something to do to generate buzz/politics.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

If nothing else changing it to "the ST can offer a dramatic failure for a Beat" rather than "the player can choose a dramatic failure for a Beat" would help.

Yeah, I use this hack in my games.

PC: "I sneak into the abandoned factory." Fails roll

Me: "Just as you are jumping the rusty chain-link, headlight beams come around the corner and slide across you. Now - is the car just a driver that might be a witness later if people ask around, or is it a patrol car that's going to stop and investigate right now?"

Etc.

I like it because it lets me trigger things that I might have planned anyway, and lets me ignore rote/non-interesting failures. And, it eliminates the difference between my shy and outgoing players.

But, I've got the luxury of being able to be picky about players, so my main obstacle is shyness / uncertainty, not XP-Obsession. The players do freely decide in each case and there isn't that kind of peer pressure to always accept. I'd say they take the beat about 2/3rds of the time.

As always, mileage varies per group dynamic.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Conversely, my main group hates Aspirations because we tend to forget they exist in play.

I was slow on the uptake of aspirations, but they are really growing on me. For PCs, it helps me sculpt the tone / direction of the story. The Mekhet has an 'explore my Sire's bloodline' aspiration. The Ventrue has a 'gently caress around on Wall Street' aspiration. Now I introduce a new NPC of the Mekhet's bloodline with Wall Street ties and a rivalry to the Ventrue's company, that kind of stuff.

It's a little tougher, but I've also gotten into the habit of defining aspirations for my NPCs. It's an easy reference when figuring out what kind of angles they are currently running when players come knocking, but when I haven't hooked the NPC more directly into the chapter plot. Then at Chapter's end I review those aspirations, figure out which ones got fulfilled and which didn't, and shift their goals appropriately for the next round.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

quote:

NordicLARP

I haven't got to play any over here in the states, but I've been fascinated by reading about them. What drew me initially was all the ways in which they seemed to get past the typical OWbN, Camarilla, LotN, Mind'sEye structure we have here that really detract from its potential (imo).

Things like actively needing agreement between players for consequences, negotiation style play more akin to joint-writing projects or improv than the PvP focused political competition of Cam games that almost always jumps to organizational competition.

Old callbacks to real troupe-style play where you didn't need an active storyteller that vanished when MC Classes and auto-XP dripped into the orgs.

I have a hard time imagining the game that straddles those two genres, so I'ma wait and see. Hopefully the teaser is just that, and trying to bring sexy back into Nordic games as a direct theme. But regardless, even if it is a total shitshow - that's on White Wolf, not the Nordic LARP genre.

In my mind it pretty closely follows my feelings of oWod and nWod - it would be like like WW trying to make a game that loots the best parts of Onyx Path and jams them into an oWod frame that... OH WAIT :P

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

"Your attack roll is Strength + Weaponry + 2 and it does Lethal damage."
In this way a stronger weapon is always more accurate because you have a larger dice pool.

If I remember correctly, MET changed Vigor to avoid the accuracy buff by applying it only if you hit with your base pool. You could do something similar with weapons if you wanted them to hit harder rather than more. If you use different color dice for the weapon damage, it'd be easy to only apply them if the base dice have 1+ successes.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Hipster Occultist posted:

So how would a Vampire go about condemning/bulldozing another Kindred's haven in relatively short order?

Asking for a friend :v:

edit: with influences

If you want it 'above-board': Bureaucracy, Legal and/or Finance influence to alter records so the location is now recorded as Abandoned/Vacant/Unowned. This should waive the need to go through the time frame of informing the occupants, and offering a process for dispute/appeal by the owners.

Mechanically, I would set the Influence dots required at 3 + (Owner's Safe Place Rating + Owner's Haven Rating) in total dots spent, could require teamwork.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Terrorforge posted:

Sounds like an inherent risk of a political game

It's tough to appreciate conflict in a LARP game when you deal with character death and XP loss, or when your political enemies use ST plots as excuses to attack your position/status, or when people who are bored decide to 'start poo poo' by wiping out an entire Clan (hopefully if any PCs got wiped out, they at least had some kind of fun.)

The usual lack of good Staff to Players ratios, people identifying more strongly with their characters because of the medium, and a vast differential between player investment in the game itself (people who have been playing for years, vs. newcomers and tourists competing for the same space/plots) are all pitfalls that seem to come up over and over again in long-form Vampire campaigns.

Most LARP games like that would almost run better as PbP. It takes a really good crew to really work around those pitfalls in a live game and take advantage of the medium.

Anti-Citizen, can I ask what City your game is in?

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

This works very well, especially if you (as the ST) get them to visibly go through the process of character creation, establishing ties with other PCs, etc.

This works well sometimes.

Unfortunately, I've seen it backfire too, with the established player-base then distrusting new players as a knee-jerk reaction. And while having a paranoid-Prince establish Nazi-like interrogation scenes for every new lick that shows up is an interesting concept, in practice it usually just turns off any new players from investing in the game when that's their first experience.

e: ^Ugh, that's terrible. The diablerie mechanic is so bad for group games. Incentivization to kill other PCs for free XP is not a good rule.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 27, 2016

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Kellsterik posted:

How do I make the most use of an important NPC that's only going to be alive for a short time?

How are you seeding the Mystery of her death? My first thought would be to add a few ominous signs or foreshadowing in those scenes. Not the focus of those scenes, mind you, but small things.

* A cough or headache at a stressful/magical point that seems unusual.
* A conversation about an unfulfilled debt.
* The arrival of a tome/book/item that the mentor uses heightened security to handle for some reason.
* Mention of an old apprentice.

I suspect the players would be tempted to be on high alert (perception-wise) as they know about the death before hand, so throwing them some things to chew on would let them scratch that itch in a controlled way.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I have this theory that it comes from players to whom concepts like democracy and governments existing for the benefit of the governed are just super deeply ingrained, but that's just insane speculation on my part.

Same. My Midwestern-LARP experience is that undergrads are still the primary recruitment target for games. The combo of the free time of the students and the easy space access on campuses are both resources that are tough to give up for a game.

But yeah, I feel like everyone pretty much walks in with a 'down with Tyranny - Up with the People' concept of undead government. Really stunts the idea of playing monsters when everyone's first instinct is to play an Anarch or the Carthians, and honestly believe as players, 'No really - we ARE the good guys!'

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

I'd play in the Viking Blood King game, assuming there were at least some ways for a peon to do something interesting in the system. Tangible rewards for supporting the brood with territory or blood tithes, figuring out a way to adapt the harpy role into that position as an underling, etc.

Like - there are a million ways to make the Carthians something way more interesting than generic Poli-sci kid with vampire powers who white-knights plot and is nice to humans.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Karandras posted:

I'm looking to run a Hunter game set in Vichy France, with the main villains being aristocratic vampires.

Any suggestions or books I'll need besides night stalkers, the core book and the hunter book?

If you want a little vampire canon, check out the Invictus Covenant Book for Requiem 1E - Included are French aristocratic Knights (Spina).

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

IIRC it was basically "Please don't have rape plots or rape as a significant character background element because that almost always winds up either skeevy or traumatic to those who've experienced it in real life or both."

During game, can you still violently or supernaturally overcome mortals, penetrate them, and inflict unwanted sexual feelings, then kill, intimidate, force addiction on or annihilate their memories so they don't tell on you?

Or is Tru:Blood a thing.

In seriousness - trigger warnings, fade to blacks, non-skeeve, etc, are all good things - this particular 'no non-consensual themes' I have a hard time wrapping my head around for a vampire game with the Kiss, Blood Bonds and Disciplines.

I mean, isn't the whole Bram Stoker shtick kind a rape metaphor?

I guess if it works, it works.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

That all seems reasonable.

If "I was embraced against my will" is being treated differently than, "As a mortal, I was forced to be a gigolo" that seems like a fair distinction.

And yeah, actively running a rape-specific plotline at a public game is problematic.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Pounded in the butt by my nostalgia for 90's sex-murder.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Mating with another Garou makes metis that have weird physical/mental flaws and are sterile. Illegal!

Biting Kinfolk so we can turn them into new-Garou with mental problems and are sterile. Legal!

The Council has spoken. Awoo.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Well that's the main source of pathos and inner conflict. All vampires do deserve a stake in the chest and an extended sunbathing session. By their very existence they inflict harm and cause suffering. But these things don't change that they still retain some fragment of their lost humanity, and can (if they choose) minimize that harm and work to make improvements to other aspects of life. There's a choice of how much of a monster to be, but "not a monster" isn't on the scale.

While it's more often about the journey than the actual realization, Golconda is very much the search for the 'Not a Monster' end state. Rare for a player to go after it, and I've never seen anyone get further along than a few steps - but it's still on the scale.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Redemption and permanently becoming not-a-monster seems to me a pretty common vampiric theme, well within the wheelhouse and given a lot of word count. It does look like they dropped Golconda from 2E, though, via a quick word search - so fair enough for a 2E-only scale I suppose.

Special snowflakes are annoying no matter what they latch onto, even stuff I usually like or find clever personally.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Night10194 posted:

I'm failing to see how people eat the eggs.

Maybe they are Cadbury Eggs.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Axelgear posted:

Does anyone have a word for that part of you that knows something is bad but you can see why some bits of it are fun, so you keep coming back to it and trying to salvage it, but you only end up frustrated when you come to the same glaring conclusion again and again that the concept is unsalvageable?

LARP

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

At the same time it's worth noting that the nWoD had quite a bit of material developed and published for it before White Wolf got bought by CCP and the RPG division shitcanned, so presumably it was selling well enough to do so since I don't think there was some shadowy angel investor paying out of pocket to fund all those lines. I don't doubt for a minute it didn't sell as well as the oWoD did at its peak but that probably has as much to do with external factors beyond edition warring.

Didn't somebody post the actual figures and Requiem was the highest selling product? I apologize for my crass lack of platinum, but I remember Swedracula trotting out the same "poor seller" line and it being shown he was incorrect.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Hello fellow goons,

I fell in love with oWoD Mage when it seemed like a good thing in the 90s, so much so that when nWoD Mage came out, I vowed I wouldn't read the book so that if I ever played, I could play it raw as a newly awakened character.

It's been a while and a whole new edition, but a friend is finally looking like they want to run Mage. He's given us some very basic descriptions of the Paths and Spheres, and told us to pick a mortal concept, then he'll run the Awakenings for whatever path we choose.

Right now I'm thinking about a bio/nano-technologist as the mortal side of things, going down the Thyrsus path. Someone who uses viruses to fight cancer only to realize that maybe cancer has its own spirit/soul and what the gently caress do you do when you realize that kind of thing?

My big questions are

1) That kind of dynamic supported by the material? I know a good story can make just about any concept work, but I'm hoping I'm not swimming upstream or anything. I'm not sure how 'molecular' the spirit world gets, in a sense. Could I have a Boron or Penicillin familiar or something like that?

2) Since it's mortal charGen first - are they any skills that you'd recommend I pick up for utility that might not be immediately obvious in a blue-book Doctor build? I seem to recall speed-reading through MageChat that magick is a lot more tied to skills now.

Thanks!

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

That's basically accurate, rank 0-1 spirits are essentially animals, and it's only around rank 4 that they begin to be able to approximate real understanding of any human thought not directly related to their obsessions.

I think I can work with this, especially with the idea of appropriation - taking a base spiritual concept and deliberately elevating it for more widespread uses other than just its inherent theme.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

I Am Just a Box posted:

Are you playing first or second edition Mage, and are you using the corresponding bluebook mortals core? Just to get a sense of what is available in terms of character design.

2E Mage and yes on the 2E Core (expanded investigation rules, etc.)

I Am Just a Box posted:

Ambitions to figure out a way to control and weaponize the nature of disease spirits in order to proliferate desired phenomena in the manner by which a disease spreads, say? That kind of thing is Mage all over. It will probably blow up in your face several times in the process of trying to get it to work. This is half the fun of Mage: being a crazy visionary with dangerous ideas.

Excellent.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Not enough canes or bathrobes to be talking about WoD LARP.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

unseenlibrarian posted:

I...well.

This is certainly a way to talk about your game you want to sell to people who might play RPGs.

...Not a good one, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UMf8SgSH5A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXpxnxAL62A

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Soonmot posted:

Vampire question. Vigor and Resilience add directly to strength and stamina as a passive effect, but Celerity doesn't add to dex. How unbalanced would it be to allow Celerity to just straight up increase dex as a passive, is it not being able to a balance against celerity having more active effects to choose from?

Celerity adds a passive bonus to defense, which is pretty massive. Are you thinking about replacing that aspect with the Dex add, or giving the Dex in addition?

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Anyone know if there are any Aerial Fighting Styles for use by flying characters in Chronicles? Hurt Locker notes had Falconry, but that's more using a bird buddy - not actually having wings yourself.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

I've been running a 'board-style' Requiem PbP game since 2012. I've had one constant player (who actually co-STs a bunch of NPCs) through that whole time, currently have four active players, and at most had seven going at once (and just the one during lean times). A couple of the players live in my same town, and another is in driving distance (3 hours) so on occasion I run one-shot style games where they get to use their characters at a tabletop session. Average one or two a year. I have one player who only attends the live sessions.

For the PbP format, we started in Google Wave, and transitioned to Rizzoma (free version) when Wave phased out. There are probably better formats to use, but we like it for the easy edit options, nested conversations, easy invite (so only certain players can see certain threads/scenes), image support and export capabilities. We don't have an inbuilt dice system, so just link to Orikos rolls (though really I just trust people.) Character sheets are just dedicated threads, so no fancy links to auto-rollers or anything.

For social and investigation scenes everything is great. Combat and high-action scenes do bog down, and if anything goes beyond about 10-15 combat rounds, I think real hard about either abstracting it (usually giving the PCs a little extra effectiveness in the result) or scheduling a game-night where everyone can be on at once (so more like a discord style scene).

My first taste of WoD was Ars Magica, so once someone has been vetted with a starting neonate for a while, I let them make a 2nd Ancillae character if they wish. I've found that having more than one character lets people really do different things. I think there's a tendency by players (especially ones who are game starved) to try and do it all - cram every experience into their character even if it doesn't totally make sense. But when you have two, you can really think which of your characters would truly be interested in responding to different plot events and really start to personalize them beyond a direct in-game avatar.

I ask that people dedicate time for one post per day. Anything beyond that is gravy. I am able to sneak posts at work.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

MachineIV posted:

I've had some amazing LARP experiences. In fact, some of my all-time favorite gaming experiences. But they were always with highly curated groups, and designed with a specific, narrow focus in mind.

Did you ever have a chance to use your conversions for 2E Requiem? I liked the 'aside' mechanics you posted on the OPP forums under Auspex, for example. Wondering if you ever fleshed those all out and gave them a try.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Night10194 posted:

There is no faster way to piss off players and make them drop a game than to compel their PCs via a social manipulation roll to do something.

This is a true phenomenon I just never understood. People accept Dominate and Majesty and Nightmare - but social mechanics? You mean to say my character could be seduced or intimidated despite what my player wants?

I quit.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I think it is a somewhat contentious expectation for the ST to just kind of assume players will be okay with that; it might be interesting to do this, as an experiment, and let players know their characters are subject to changes of heart they themselves did not orchestrate, but it makes for a very different kind of game.

No it doesn't. It slightly moves the bar on options the ST has on influencing those changes of heart, unless PCs get to be immune to majesty, conditions. But yes, all this should be covered in social contract / table expectations, etc. I am just consistently surprised by the vehemence some players maintain that social rules are somehow different than real rules. 2E helps this, at least, with conditions. Cards with text-rules placed on your duder are easier to swallow for people than social stuff.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

If you want all the characters to act the way you want them to all the time, write a book.

I feel there may be some middle ground you are overlooking while playing collaborative storytelling games. But Mendrian's comment about floatiness makes sense to me.

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Reene posted:

It sounds like what you're really angry about is bad STs that don't know how to present social mechanics to players in a way that allows them to "yes and" in response.

This was my concern. And to be fair, the ST rolling a die and telling you some so-and-so your character hates just schmoozed you up and now you are best buds forever is a crappy social mechanic, though I've never encountered that. I see things like contested intimidation checks where if the PC loses the contest they are expected to roleplay backing down. Or a contested subterfuge check with two harpies trying to tease out social secrets from each other, so the PC writes down a juicy bit of gossip they are willing to risk giving up, and if they lose they should portray spilling that bean and if they win they get the lurid details of the Sheriff's feeding 'accident.'