Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yes we should take everything someone who is mad and wants to be coddled says as 100% truth and agree that the st is a monster instead of trying to get more context. There is no chance at all the emotional goon could be making the story to make himself look better. Impossible really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Pussy Cartel posted:

Are we ignoring this ST's history of being a power-tripping rear end in a top hat in other situations, or are you really just this committed to your weird V5 ST supremacy gimmick

How do we know that is the same dm? The first one is a weirdo for making him bark but thats for a gangrel not for the brujah that died.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

why does it matter? if the 'emotional goon' is exaggerating for dramatic effect who loving cares?

Yall want to dog the st and say he/she is a psychopath but don't care if the post isn't completely factual? I just want a clearer picture before passing judgment but that's too much for this thread apparently

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm just here to help my fellow vampire player out but how am I supposed to do that if all I know is he broke the masquerade (possibly multiple times) then he died? How many times did he gently caress up? Was there any dialogue before that PM with the st or any of the other players? What if the op is doing something that was ruining the fun of others and this was the st last resort to try to get through to him? What if the op did nothing wrong? No one can give him the proper advice if one mad post is all we have. But nope goon is right, st is a psycho, and v5 lover is wrong no matter what.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Anyways I'm in a group that's about to start a Chicago campaign and I'm going to have my vampire be in a huge debt with the Capone gang. Would that be a 2 dot flaw? I've already talked to my st about this but just want more opinions on this.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Metapod posted:

Anyways I'm in a group that's about to start a Chicago campaign and I'm going to have my vampire be in a huge debt with the Capone gang. Would that be a 2 dot flaw? I've already talked to my st about this but just want more opinions on this.

See I think it's a 2 dot flaw because there are other flaws said in the v20 book (v5 doesn't have enough flaws right now which is ashame) that are kinda like a debt but not really. So with it being a major debt to a gang I think it would warrant 2 dots.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Depends on what kind of debt. Have you considered maybe converting that debt into enemies?

No that wouldn't work. Someone in my group wants to try being a st so he's going to do the pre built campaign in the Chicago by night book and that requires all the characters to know each other or at least know of each other beforehand. One of the other players is taking the Capone gang lore sheet so the debt is how my character will know him. The debt makes sense because my vampire has a gambling addiction so he would have lost a lot at some illegal poker game.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Top Hats Monthly posted:

The level of debt would probably translate to dots. A two dot debt means that there are probably mafiosos looking for you and want to thump your skull, a one dot debt might deny you the ability to go on their turf. Chicago V5 is great when it comes to loresheets.

Thank you for the feedback I'll definitely think about this. Yeah the Chicago book is very good

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

murdering a PC over a masquerade violation, without getting them invested in that and getting the other PCs to swear eternal vengeance is poo poo storytelling and also poo poo Storytelling as in it's narratively unsatisfying and explicitly called out in every ST guide in every edition as Something Not to Do

PCs deaths are supposed to be meaningful. They don't need to be pre-agreed on, but if you kill a PC outside of combat in one session you've failed as a Storyteller.

Yeah I agree with the first part but why are you assuming they aren't invested in it? Considering the op died by the hand of his own coterie member and was told afterward to stop loving up that more than implies that breaches are supposed to be taken seriously in his campaign.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Oberst posted:

The real hosed up thing is the fellow coterie member being forced to execute their friend. Blitz got what he deserved but his coterie member shouldn't have had to kill his own friend. That's actually sorta hosed up. Roman style decimation poo poo

Yeah idk what blitz could have done to elicit that type of execution but it had to be something serious before the club thing because its really hosed up

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

Wait so your assumption is that the ST must be justified, and the poster must have done something Real Serious? That's not very parsimonious. There's no actual vampire leadership making rational decisions here. Just some people at a table, one of whom makes these calls.

Yes I assume the person being told to stop loving up did something else. Now whether or not it was justified idk cause the op won't tell us what all happened

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Soonmot is totally on point here, by the V20 duo have gone into dedicated threadshitting mode and are absolutely not worth engaging. Report, ignore, move on.

Lmfao someone doesn't agree with me gotta report to the wah wah police so I don't have to think about what I believe

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Oh, my bad, sorry.

I'd suggest getting your group to play v5

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What happens to the nosferatu during the embrace that makes them so ugly?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nessus posted:

It's their clan weakness, lmfao. Try reading the drat book. Vampire is a good game

Sorry just trying to fit in by being purposely ignorant to the game

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Oh hell yeah another v5 liker has entered the chat

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

ogresque posted:

practically speaking one tends to run out of people to play with

its possible to have fun with people while everyone is purposely being dicks to eachother at times! it can lead to very funny situations!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
also there's a mechanic to block the mind control!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Nessus posted:

If only we were as wise and cool as you, a superior person who understands things better. Lol. Lmao.

That sort of thing can be fun if everyone's on board for it -- actually on board, too, not "Well, I'm not thrilled, but I don't want to quit the game" or "three months in, this has suddenly popped up because Kyle wants us to kill the Primogen and the rules don't say he can't Dominate me because my character is 13th gen and his is 11th," or similar. But I think the idea that "playing Vampire" is an automatic open consent to full on team kill mind-gently caress party time is weird, and kind of gross.

There is a middle ground between no dominate on players and always doing dominate on players!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mendrian posted:

Any time you take agency away from another player's character, they should be okay with it. Most gamers who play vampire are okay with a certain amount of that. But, "it's vampire get used to it" is not a good reason to do that. I get that the fiction of the setting suggests you "should" be allowed to do things that metatextually are probably jerm moves. The real people you play with are more important than verisimilitude.

have you ever played a game before? not like vampire specifically just a game in general

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mendrian posted:

There are boundaries and a mature table tries to figure out what they are, while an unprepared table blunders into them until people quietly start hating each other.

a mature table can handle someone using a mechanic in the game and not be whiny if it goes against them lmao.

oh what i was getting at is that in any game not everything is dictated by how a player wants his/her story to go. if we were to play a game of basketball and you stole the ball from me i cannot just stand there and say hey you can't do that that's not right i would have to improve my ball handling and prevent you from stealing the ball from me. same with vampire if you dont want your vampire to be dominated improve your skills that make it harder for it happen!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Joe Slowboat posted:

What is the point of a game of vampire, to you? What is the goal you're working towards? In basketball it's pretty simple: The core game-mechanical goal is to put the ball in the basket and prevent the other team from doing it to you. What do you see as the purpose of a player in Vampire, within the mechanics?

to be the vampire. the goal is to roleplay your vampire's desires, ambitions, and convictions while doing the ever evolving story the ST creates. the purpose of the player is to play a character and to use the mechanics in the way he/she believes their vampire would.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mendrian posted:

Would you allow a weird mind control fetishist to use your game for fap fodder and if not (I suspect not), why, if it were in-character? Would you bar that character from play in the first place?

What is this insane extreme example you keep pushing. There's like miles of difference between no dominate use and this

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I never said "no dominate use".

I said "other players have to be comfortable with it."

That's all. If you have PVP Dominate use, both people should be okay with it. I'm using an extreme example to illustrate that whether you've made them explicit or not, your table already has boundaries. I'm advocating going one step further and asking what those boundaries are before play begins.

if a player is not comfortable with a mechanic in the game that's pretty big for a lot of clans then it is probably the wrong game for them. AND THATS OKAY!!! no game is for everyone.

Oberst posted:

No one in here actually plays the games so it's hard to talk in anything but extremes that would never come up in an actual game

Also stop dominating people you monster

*using mesmerize* you love dominate and you will dominate someone in this thread!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
bah oberst rolled to well on his defense role and my dominate failed

Mendrian posted:

You're shifting goalposts. You agree that the extreme example is ludicrous, but then jump to the conclusion that such players just aren't cool with Dominate 100% of the time.

Also not all Vampire games need to be okay with PvP.

You see to have it in your head there's only one way to play Vampire.

Edit: I'm feeling magnanimous, so let me give you an example.

I ran a game about a year ago for friends. One of the characters was a Ventrue who specialized in Dominate. She got into a pretty vicious argument with the group's Mekhet. They had all agreed that PvP was off the table but they both liked the idea of the Ventrue Dominating the Melkhet into leaving the room, and it was good and fun. She literally said, "is this okay" and he said "sure".

That's literally all I'm asking for here, is this a bridge too loving far?

lol i'm not shifting goalposts dominate is good but both extremes are bad just like everything in this world and in the world of darkness. why do you think just because you use dominate on a player its a pvp? like for example in my campaign my character signed a bad contract(rolled terribly when reading the contract) from a npc that another player character took me to and i went to retaliate against this npc but it turns out the npc was a touchstone so in order to protect his touchstone he used dominate on my character to prevent my character from retaliating. that's not pvp or wrong thats just smart. lol why are you asking permission in the middle of the scene nice metagaming

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Should you examine their posting records (don't do this), you'll quickly realize neither Oberst nor their alternate form Metapod generate good discussion, post in good faith, or really post good at all. The correct thing to do is block and ignore the "pair" of them (pair is in quotes because they pop up at the same time to post exactly the same garbage with the exact same garbage posting style, to the extent I'd be more surprised if they were two different people).

lmfao i disagree with you so im not posting in good faith incredible

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Old Boot posted:

^^^ You really aren't. You're deliberately being dense about a really simple playstyle, and blanket-stating 'well maybe don't play vampire!!' is a flat-out stupid response to house rules.

I have not seen this post, where is it.

Without quoting the posting-in-bad-faith brigade: it's possible to enjoy the concept of a game and still be uncomfortable with using some of the mechanics on fellow players! House rules are made for this kind of thing! Saying 'limited use of Dominate on PCs,' or even 'we're starting out with very limited use of Dominate on PCs until everyone gets comfortable with one another, or not at all if that's not your jam' isn't somehow an illegitimate way to play Vampire. It's just a slightly altered version of it.

Hell, there could even be an IC reason for it. Maybe a handler that says 'yeah if you do this to each other then (xyz).' Give it a reason if people are going to get pissy about an ubiquitous power being sidelined. If someone breaks the rules, it can put the group in some kind of danger of losing-- IDK, a contract or something.

There are ways to do it that don't offend a bUT mY thEMe guy's sensibilities, or whatever it is they're getting all huffy about. It's absolutely in-theme for a higher-up vamp to pull some arbitrary rules out of their rear end to make something work for the players involved, just like it's okay to house rule that Dominate or other mind-bendy powers have limited use on PCs with zero explanation. Everyone plays things differently, and it's rare to find games that match up 1:1, because o hey playstyles differ from table to table, whatever form the table happens to take, be it PBP or MU* or IRL.

This isn't a hard concept to understand, and I get these guys are posting in bad faith/being willfully obtuse about it, but goddamn, of all the things to be obtuse about.

lmao if you switch my username to someone you liked you wouldnt be saying this at all. all this convo was is me saying using dominate on players for in character reasons is good and having to ask permission is incredibly dumb and childish and everyone who quoted me throwing a hissy fit how that takes away their player agency because they can't handle that vampires have agendas outside of the coteries agenda and those agendas should be acted upon. yeah play the game how you want to play but if you are going to gut core mechanics from the game why not just play a different game?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Old Boot posted:

This is categorically false.

Anyone with an opinion that's this aggressively bad would get the exact same response.

Lol if you think this is aggressively bad just because its opposing and not outright agreeing

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Praying for our Carolina gamers right now 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Wait you're telling me the guy who refused to answer my question might not be telling the whole story!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
drat if only there were posters who figured this out earlier and were trying to point it out but were attacked for dare suggesting blitz7x was part of the problem.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kurieg posted:

If only there were a way for you to express yourself without being an insufferable rear end in a top hat :thunk:

If anything at this point between all 3 of you I'm even less inclined to play V5.

That's your loss baby

Oberst posted:

Have you considered not being so sexy?

Wtf is wrong with you

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Pouring one out for our WoD friend oberst. He loved vampire

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol aristocratic parasite

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Naoto Shirogane posted:

Is tabletop in Discord any good? I imagine quality of gameplay is more all over the place.

Yeah my group uses discord for voice and roll20 for the dice and it works wonderfully

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I get the impressions that earlier systems had intended much more time to be spent on the role play of feeding, but I guess player groups breezed over it so much V5 has abstracted it to a single roll more or less? Interesting how the audience shapes the designer's vision.

Feeding takes many rolls if you don't have a herd

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

I don't recommend trying to actually play out feeding because it runs you head-long into the problem of how the gently caress the masquerade works for people who don't either subsist off animals or have three dots of Dominate.

......... feeding is an important part of being a vampire

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

moths posted:

Eating is an important part of being a human, but it's also boring AF to watch other people do.

V5 does a lot of dumb poo poo.

¿¿¿Watching people eat and review things is a very popular genre of video have you never watch robert Dyer???

Ah its because it's a v5 mechanic not because it's a bad mechanic that you think it's bad I see

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

moths posted:

No it's a stupid way to burn table time, and would be in any game because it's typically an uneventful individual activity.

You don't make the Ranger describe how he shits in the woods in D&D, because it would be exactly as fun as watching a player talk about feeding.

Maybe something goes wrong, and that's when you can focus on it. But otherwise? Sure, let's stop the game so Steve can narrate his sketchy craigslist predation fantasy or whatever.

Not everything in a tabletop game is going to be a Michael Bay movie filled with action! Blood is very important for a vampire and you need to be able to get it! The feeding mechanic does a good job balancing getting blood easy and having a chance where poo poo goes crazy. I'm sorry your group has weird creeps who cant make feeding entertaining in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
^^^ exactly moths st is bad

moths posted:

Exactly nobody is saying any of this!

As a group activity, you want the activity to center on the group. It turns out that individually narrating how they each spend their separate lunch breaks is not that.

How are there any individual character growths if there are no individual narrations?