Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Excuse me I have a very important question. When did we start using the word 'woof' and why is everyone just ignoring it. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

I'm playing this character in VtR2e game rn, anarchist who got embraced in the early 20th century. She just insulted the local prince to his face and gives zero fucks about neckbiter social conventions, been a blast to see the other players just put their heads in their hands.

This character is a blast to play (who hasn't) but it's always important for there to be a reason why they haven't been disappeared yet.

Usually it's because at least somebody important thinks they're cool.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think the best blow to strike against vampires is that you can probably describe the best faction of the least inimical covenant as 'benign'. They are at their best of no particular value to humanity.

I do like that almost every covnenat has liberal or at least more progressive factions tho, intracovenant variation is like my favorite thing about Requiem.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

This is wildly off-topic and sort of Mage chat, but:

I just read Understanding Comics by Scott McCloud, which I've been meaning to do forever, and I kept thinking 'this guy's an Acanthus' - and I'd previously decided that famed proto-impressionist Turner was an Obrimos for dissolving his physical depictions into pure light and form (plus the guy's self-portrait looks Obrimos-y). So I have a concept for an art-themed NPC cabal with themed Shadow Names in the Free Council, and I'd love suggestions for other artist/Path combinations.
"Escher is a Mastigos" might be too on the nose but my knowledge of current art is pretty meh.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Vampire is "political" in the sense that it invites methodological disagreements that are fundamentally opposed and yet allied by virtue of everyone being a monster. Like the Invictus and the Carthian positions are always going to be opposed, and within the Invictus, guilds will be opposed and within a guild, students will be opposed. Vampire is "political" the same way that office drama is "political"; it's rooted in interpersonal conflict with idealogical trappings. It doesn't really have a lot of subtext; Carthians are the not-Invictus, not "the good ones" or a standin for personal freedom.

Mage has better subtext but it takes more work to create that interpersonal drama.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The term "hater" is not generally applied to people who have legitimate reasons to think something is bad.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

If I'm remembering right, that spell was a Wisdom sin.

It was just not as bad a sin as the actual acts it inured against.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

V5 feeling the need to shove fifteen years of plot into a corebook was the dumbest thing about it. Drastic system changes should really be reserved for something skin too the NWoD's "Mirrors", but really it's the sheer amount of plot on top of how the plot itself is asinine and designed to basically invalidate the setting.

If I had to write V5 - and I'm glad that I don't - I would have started writing from the perspective of a new vampire and interpreted all of vampire history through that lens. The specific events of the last two decades don't need to be relevant. Just tell me how things are now. Don't justify how it got to be that way. Don't write from the perspective of a character with all the interlude included.

Of course that would mean ignoring or even retconning major plot points and since vampire plot is read more like a comic book than a gaming suppliment...

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Octavo posted:

I wouldn't trust the hamster at all, but machineiv made a lot of similar claims about pay on pub causing her to have a 5 year lag on compensation and not getting compensated for work on changeling.

This is true. They typically pay half on draft, half on pub, though line leaders may be paid entirely on pub, I'm not sure.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

That dog scenario is pretty weird imho.

Like, yes, it is kinda brutal that your character was in a situation where you had to maybe kill a beloved family companion to survive but the alternative is frenzying on an actual human.

Plus I think trying to make players feel ooc guilty about actions the game wants you to do is kind of gross unless everybody agrees that's what they'd like to explore.

Also edit: is it the same with all violence or did the gm especially want you to feel lovely about the dog?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Oberst posted:

I have to make frenzy checks every time I see the V5 three column format

Not emptyquoting.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Yeah, it's pretty neat.

Speaking about VTES, last week I learned how to play the game. Great system, the table dynamics it generates are amazing, but getting four or five nerds to sit in the same table for two hours is a pain the rear end.

This was always my experience as well.

The big issue with V:TES is that it deeply rewards complete investment in the game and it is very difficult to be a 'casual' V:TES player. Like a friend can toss you a deck they made, sure, but decks are so complicated that often that's not sufficient to get into the game. In Magic, if I don't really 'get' the game I'll play with a pro and get walloped in 5-10 minutes. In V:TES, I can sit in a multiplayer game for two hours just slowly dying inside because my deck just doesn't work.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

Weird question here and I'd like to stay as above board as we can if possible.

Setting: V5 set in LA, coterie is a bunch of lowish power anarchs. One of the PCs has a no-women/children feeding clause, but he's also kinda homophobic so it makes feeding a little weird. It doesn't help that he also went to a gay club and started attacking people ( not a homophobia thing, just trying to prevent a masquerade breach). Now to get around this the player brought up that he could feed on trans women to get around this penalty. Would the feeding penalty be what the vampire perceives? But what if the vampire is aware? Or just goes for men dressed as women?

Sorry again i know this is weird but I'm new to the mechanics

edit: the VAMPIRE is homophobic/transphobic, not the actually player

Are we talking a rules-enforced feeding restriction here?

Since you asked to keep it above-board: just probably say no. There's something potentially interesting in there but it's buried inside a minefield and if a player came to me with that idea for a standard table game I would nope the idea immediately.

PantsOptional posted:

If the player is referring to trans women as “men dressed as women”, then your last statement here isn’t correct.

If it’s you referring to them that way, maybe give that a bit of a rethink.

Also this.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Remora posted:

I mean, I think you already know the answer. Just have enough fun to make your suffering worthwhile, and pull the ripcord when that ratio turns.

Yeah exactly.

The problems you've outlined are pretty universally true of all vampire LARPs I've played in or run. Characters who are bland sacks of stats with not enough roughage to find any sort of purchase. A frankly hostile player atmosphere that sees attempts to manipulate or manuver not as fun challenges but annoying, scoff-worthy nonsense to be overcome, often at the ooc level.

My advice is to avoid PCs who absolutely won't play ball and find ones who will; you're usually not completely alone. Be prepared to be the change and allow other PCs to manipulate you before they'll trust you enough to do the inverse. Ask permission ooc to manipulate or control other characters, this will also go a long way.

Also force the STs to let you interact with NPCs, your best tricks are limited too much if you aren't allowed any humans to uss them on.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metapod posted:

holy gently caress v5 is good

Ye...yeah? Is it?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Oberst posted:

Its better than V20 and requiem for sure

Okay lol now I know I'm being trolled, gj.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean it's cool, like what you like and welcome to the thread. I'm just curious where all these people are coming from who are hepped up on v5 when the thread has basically been, at best, "couple cool ideas, mixed execution" about the whole thing. Did something expose a bunch of new people to V5?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Sour Diesel posted:

I also get extremely confused about people having different opinions

I've been reading long screeds about why it's bad that I largely agreed with after my own reading. There's nothing wrong or ~confusing~ about that but I just saw a whole page of driveby posts about how much V5 owns and I mean, I'd like to know why people feel that way. They don't have to explain themselves to me but I certainly am curious what it is they like.

Edit: Renaissance Nerd for instance gave some things they liked.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 31, 2019

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

"It's not a big deal in play" is sort of a sneaky way of dismissing design concerns. "My play group isn't bothered by it" is of course, cool and good, but it's a completely different question than, "is this good design".

Like my D&D 5e home game is fun and that system is a garbage fire.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

GNU Order posted:

I've read all your posts and don't quite understand what specifically the hangup is.

You said the fix would be easy, what is it?

Off the top of my head, that predator type gives you X amount of XP toward Disciplines, of which you must spend as much of as you can. Easier solutions are probably things like, 'it always gives you a third dot in a Discipline of which you already had two dots' or something to that effect. In other words, something that maintains parity.

I mean, nobody is saying these things destroy games or whatever, but WW games have used point-based character generation and scaling XP based character development for time immemorial. That it causes characters to grow at different rates is in arguable and believed me, this exact argument has been rehashed to death since the first edition of the game.

From a design perspective it is absolutely better not to mix dot-based gen with multiplier-based development and it is not balanced because of how out of clans work because that presupposes you're buying an out of clan dot, which is just a different kind of advantage without a balancing XP factor.

Is it a huge deal? Nope! It's totally a mark in the game's favor that it doesn't do this as much as other WW lines, actually. But it's a valid problem.

Just remember these are all separate arguments:

"Does this ruin the game"/"Is this good design"/"Is the game fun"/"Is this mechanic fun"/"How do we fix it"/"Should we fix it" and traditionally the problem that splits groups I've been a part of is some people start arguing one of the questions against someone else who thinks the question is something totally different and everybody leaves unhappy.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I once attended a LARP where the visiting Toredor Primogen was an obvious Doctor Who cosplay who kept break dancing.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i try and avoid larp because i'm allergic to hearing people say 'feh' irl.

Same but 'aye'.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metapod posted:

Sorry just trying to fit in by being purposely ignorant to the game

Wait Nosferatu in which game

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean Ventrue, like any entrenched vampire, support systems of power that a) they understand, b) can manipulate and c) tend to favor the few over the many.

They may or may not be ideologues. They definately aren't 'Republicans' in a way we'd understand it. If anything, it's more that Republicans support the same sorts of systems that the Ventrue do and for many of the same reasons but they aren't identical.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

TheNamedSavior posted:

For the record, the factions in old vampire were also all lovely assholes. Anarchs are slightly better than the others, but are still hypocrites who willfully enslave and feed of people for the sake of a cause. A cause that is rooted in a reading of the Communist Manifesto while super drunk and most of the pages are ripped out and replaced with atlas shrugged or some bullshit.

I think the thing about Old World, at least in the earliest days, is that it framed one of the primary conflicts as 'disenfranchise neonates versus entrenched assholes out to get you' and while that is and probably always should be a core theme of all the Vampire games, it was originally made literal in the Anarch/Camarilla conflict. This became less pronounced once the Sabbat become less mysterious but was a big part of the 'Gothic Punk' nomenclature.

That was always part of the game's skeleton. I think it's actually better that we've moved away from, 'some vampires are good, actually' and instead makes 'being good' an option for any vampire that just happens to be very difficult.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

A gnarly but hardly monstrous scar that just never seems to be in the same place each time you look at it. But you're not sure.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Any time you take agency away from another player's character, they should be okay with it. Most gamers who play vampire are okay with a certain amount of that. But, "it's vampire get used to it" is not a good reason to do that. I get that the fiction of the setting suggests you "should" be allowed to do things that metatextually are probably jerk moves. The real people you play with are more important than verisimilitude.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 1, 2019

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metapod posted:

have you ever played a game before? not like vampire specifically just a game in general

...ye-yes? I realize you're metapod but like what are you getting at here specifically.

All game is contract. The player, generally, agrees that me, the ST, can devise situations they're not prepared for within the boundaries of the contract we've established because some things are ew. Being forced to have your friend across the table make your character walk on all fours because 'he can' is kind of, you know, ew. If the player across the table does not do that but something less ew, it is because he understands the contract.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

There are boundaries and a mature table tries to figure out what they are, while an unprepared table blunders into them until people quietly start hating each other.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metapod posted:

to be the vampire. the goal is to roleplay your vampire's desires, ambitions, and convictions while doing the ever evolving story the ST creates. the purpose of the player is to play a character and to use the mechanics in the way he/she believes their vampire would.

Okay.

But the meta context here is, "I play to have fun." You get together with friends, maybe once a month or less for some people, and you all agree that pretending to be a vampire is fun, so having fun and pretending to be a vampire are the two basic "goals".

Pretending to be a vampire, firstly, is much more nebulous than the rules of basketball. "My character would do this" is a notion that completely removes the conscious decision making that is definately happening from the situation.

Would you allow a weird mind control fetishist to use your game for fap fodder and if not (I suspect not), why, if it were in-character? Would you bar that character from play in the first place?

Edit: somebody post the piss wizard comic thanks.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 1, 2019

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metapod posted:

What is this insane extreme example you keep pushing. There's like miles of difference between no dominate use and this

I never said "no dominate use".

I said "other players have to be comfortable with it."

That's all. If you have PVP Dominate use, both people should be okay with it. I'm using an extreme example to illustrate that whether you've made them explicit or not, your table already has boundaries. I'm advocating going one step further and asking what those boundaries are before play begins.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Metapod posted:

if a player is not comfortable with a mechanic in the game that's pretty big for a lot of clans then it is probably the wrong game for them. AND THATS OKAY!!! no game is for everyone.

*using mesmerize* you love dominate and you will dominate someone in this thread!

You're shifting goalposts. You agree that the extreme example is ludicrous, but then jump to the conclusion that such players just aren't cool with Dominate 100% of the time.

Also not all Vampire games need to be okay with PvP.

You seem to have it in your head there's only one way to play Vampire.

Edit: I'm feeling magnanimous, so let me give you an example.

I ran a game about a year ago for friends. One of the characters was a Ventrue who specialized in Dominate. She got into a pretty vicious argument with the group's Mekhet. They had all agreed that PvP was off the table but they both liked the idea of the Ventrue Dominating the Melkhet into leaving the room, and it was good and fun. She literally said, "is this okay" and he said "sure".

That's literally all I'm asking for here, is this a bridge too loving far?

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 1, 2019

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Old Boot posted:

^^^ You really aren't. You're deliberately being dense about a really simple playstyle, and blanket-stating 'well maybe don't play vampire!!' is a flat-out stupid response to house rules.

I have not seen this post, where is it.

Without quoting the posting-in-bad-faith brigade: it's possible to enjoy the concept of a game and still be uncomfortable with using some of the mechanics on fellow players! House rules are made for this kind of thing! Saying 'limited use of Dominate on PCs,' or even 'we're starting out with very limited use of Dominate on PCs until everyone gets comfortable with one another, or not at all if that's not your jam' isn't somehow an illegitimate way to play Vampire. It's just a slightly altered version of it.

Hell, there could even be an IC reason for it. Maybe a handler that says 'yeah if you do this to each other then (xyz).' Give it a reason if people are going to get pissy about an ubiquitous power being sidelined. If someone breaks the rules, it can put the group in some kind of danger of losing-- IDK, a contract or something.

There are ways to do it that don't offend a bUT mY thEMe guy's sensibilities, or whatever it is they're getting all huffy about. It's absolutely in-theme for a higher-up vamp to pull some arbitrary rules out of their rear end to make something work for the players involved, just like it's okay to house rule that Dominate or other mind-bendy powers have limited use on PCs with zero explanation. Everyone plays things differently, and it's rare to find games that match up 1:1, because o hey playstyles differ from table to table, whatever form the table happens to take, be it PBP or MU* or IRL.

This isn't a hard concept to understand, and I get these guys are posting in bad faith/being willfully obtuse about it, but goddamn, of all the things to be obtuse about.

This was basically my argument and I think this ought to segue into the much more interesting discussion of what people's table rules are and how they justified or have enforced them!

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah that would be fairly consistent with the 'writing backwards from the conclusion' style of V5.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Just chiming in with more support for confrontation.

There are lots of ways to keep this light, if you're worried about the effect it will have on the long term relationship. But you absolutely have the right to put the breaks on it. I've run games where players have specifically made orphan characters, that is to say, they have no idea who their parents were, and they tell me, outright, "I don't want to make my parents a part of this character" and you just okay, got it, no problem. And I think most people would agree that is a rational amount of agency for a character to have - so obviously, "I don't want another character leering at me, it makes me uncomfortable" should be met with, "oh okay."

Because this is your ST, you can approach the issue from the angle of: this is not the story I want to tell, these are themes I'm uncomfortable with, what is it you are trying to accomplish with this NPC? It may be as simple as, "I need to give your Merit a downside!" and he's just not thinking very hard about the impact that is having or how it makes you feel, so just let him know you don't like it and take it from there. The correct reaction from a friend and good ST is, "oh poo poo, I'm sorry! I didn't know I was doing that to you. I get that makes you uncomfortable. Help me write a story you will enjoy", so hopefully that's where it goes.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Also I think trying to convince mages that vampires (or whatever) are the real baddies is going to cause a lot of pulled collars and yikes faces. Mages are like a 1/4 chance of being as dangerous if not more so to humans as the average vampire. Consider paradox, abyssal summonings, casual hubris, left handed paths, and so on. Vampires on the whole are a net negative for humanity but I think you'd have a hard time convincing mage society, which tends to run a bit in the navel gazing direction, that they all deserve to die.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I get the impressions that earlier systems had intended much more time to be spent on the role play of feeding, but I guess player groups breezed over it so much V5 has abstracted it to a single roll more or less? Interesting how the audience shapes the designer's vision.

Every table I've been a part of has done some mix of abstracted rolls and very personal asides. It depends on the pace of the story. Of course I don't advocate for running the game as a vampire simulator so I maintain it's not always appropriate to run long feeding scenes that almost never directly involve other player characters but it's nice about a half or quarter of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Roaving hoards of megacombats are pretty common in LARPS and are actually a major design challenge for STs.

Having run a few, near as I can figure, there are two major contributing factors to the "roving squad" problem. One is the number of tuned out combat characters who love to minmax their characters and basically spend the entire game waiting for an excuse to show off.

The second problem is that Vampire plot "wants" players to manipulate and scheme and lie to each other while dealing with microscale obstacles to each other's resources. Vampire players on the other hand, seem to despise genuine conflict and only engage in it with each other when they are morally in the right and guartenteed to succeed - so you wind up with 20 people sitting around in Elysium waiting for a werewolf invasion because nobody can argue that a werewolf invasion is bad and there's no moral ambiguity.

There is nothing wrong with playing Vampire that way but it suckkkks for the standard LARP format which thrives on self motivated play.