Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
The Wire's more of a Changeling show, anyway.

Add some neon to Promethean and you get Drive.

Nightcrawler's a perfect vampire movie, of course, but it's also a pretty good Hunter movie.

It's a shame the Matrix came out in '99 and thus became connected to Ascension, because it's much, much more like Awakening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

The Hero stuff sounds, uh, kind of bad, but I don't think I can say anything there that others haven't.

How's the crossover stuff looking? That's one of the things about Beast that I've been kind of curious/skeptical about, because there are some fairly large tonal differences between the various nWoD games.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Wait, Promethean, the game with the most baked-in mechanically-supported plot progression of any WoD game and one of the few RPGs you can actually win? Were you thinking of something else?

e: Not that I disagree with you about Beast, that's just a weird comparison to make.

also, e:f;b

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Mendrian posted:

Promethean is a game you can win, yes, but (IMHO) it had poorly implemented group mechanics out of the box and was best played as some kind of solo adventure game. Also it told you roughly what a milestone was but not fantastic advice on how to achieve them (as a player) or how to conceive them (as an ST).

The mechanics weren't super-great, I agree, but there was still an incredibly clear arc (the Pilgrimage) to hook your game onto. And it had the best excuse for five Draculas hanging out ever, because you would stick with pretty much anyone if they weren't compelled to hate you by the universe itself like pretty much everyone else.

tatankatonk posted:

Promethean's commercial viability is extremely suspect but it's still a good, well-designed game that's distinct thematically and mechanically from the other lines. If you're looking for the real aimless game comparison, there's always Geist.

I really hope Geist gets an honest-to-God second edition. Some really good ideas, good visual design, and a neat power scheme, it's just a mess in execution.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

An opinion so edgy it gets 8-again.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

A good rule of thumb for WtF factions is that if it sounds like something the Garou would have done, it is probably the Pure's fault (because they are literally the Garou).

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Crion posted:

Yeah, they're not bad, they're just kinda redundant. It's not impossible to imagine a world where TF:V, Barrett Commission, VASCU and Division Six all exist, but it is tough to imagine them all being distinct, independent of, and presumably secret from each other. Retreading ground like that crowds out the potential for good new ideas. But then, when given that opportunity we got the Buffy compact and the Bioshock conspiracy, so.

VASCU and VALKYRIE are very aware each other, at least, and the VASCU write-up even states that you can file for transfer between them. VASCU hates TF:V because they trample in, shoot everything, and don't even fill out the paperwork, and most of TF:V thinks VASCU are a bunch of nutjobs.

Division Six are weird and I've never been sure how to use them in the game. The idea of a completely fake MIB organization is cool in theory, but the book kind of adopts a sneering "look at these idiots" tone to it that makes it hard to imagine putting the players in them.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Wasn't the problem that there was this whole slant where writers were all "look at these motherfuckers responsible for the modern world! :argh:" and then every single reader immediately realized the modern world was actually kind of great, and that the Traditions didn't look so hot when part of their mission involves destroying modern medicine?

Genuine question, I came in way after the oWoD days.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

spectralent posted:

So Beast's pretty poo poo. The thing I find most worrying is how strongly a lot of people seem to have identified with the Ghost of Christmas Child Abuse.

I'm not really worried on the public front, Beast has provoked a pretty strongly negative reaction overall, with defenders being outliers instead of the norm. The only poll I've seen (on rpg.net) is hovering pretty firmly at the majority of people outright not liking Beast, with a strong majority thinking it has problems.

I'm more worried that nothing is going to be done to fix Beast, although I'm not even sure where'd you start, because everything I've seen from the creators has given me the sense that they're going full criticism turtle.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Unironically not sure if you're up on the American legal system, but prosecutor≠lawyer. Prosecutors (in pretty much any country), have a whole host of systematic problems with actual justice being done. Adam Harrow the Public Defender is probably a concept fewer people would have a problem with.

e: Commas go outside the parentheses. :eng101:

e2: There actually shouldn't be a comma there at all. :eng111:

Tulul fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 8, 2015

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Wizards in suits aside, the actual problem with the AA write-up is that it tells you almost nothing about what they do . It's all philosophy, with a bit of history and fiction. It's touched on in a couple of sentences here and there, but it's a topic that deserves way, way more discussion. How they apply their philosophy is just as or more important than the philosophy itself, because that's mostly what you're going to be using when you're trying to run a game.

What up Elder Evils buddy.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

...uh.
What exactly does "buying White Wolf" entails, if most of WW's stuff is in OP's hands now?

Onyx Path only outright owns the Trinity games and Scion. Their WoD and Exalted books (the important stuff) are done under a license, so buying White Wolf means Paradox owns those properties.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Mage, Promethean, or Hunter, you could build a whole campaign around this MacGuffin: Red Mercury

Charles Stross did a fun short story about red mercury that's basically a Zeka origin story.

e: ^Division Six, from Witch Finders. They're a full-throated Ascension reference that think they're working for the Men in Black, but are really just being played by some Seers.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Which ones are Sundered World and Beneath the Skin? The Kickstarter doesn't list any names for the stretch goal add-ons, which I assume those are.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Animal attraction wasn't in Forsaken 1E, unless it's in a sourcebook that I haven't read. Definitely not in the core, at least.

Kurieg posted:

Skemp did away with as much of that as he was allowed once revised kicked in.

He's denied it, but the Pure are pretty obviously meant to be a villainous twist on the Garou. Without much twisting required.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

the Catholic Church of Rome acknowledges and gives worship time to other gods

:eyepop:

Just fyi, this is up there with "the Pope is the antichrist" for things anti-Catholics actually believe. Have some Chick tracts:

:cripes:

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

The focus on lairs in Beast makes way more sense if they were originally dragons.

Ironslave posted:

Beast's original idea was the cycle of abuse. You can see shades of it in the game as it is now and the original preview doc. Beasts are abusive monsters whose actions produce heroes who are themselves unstable people who seek to repay that misery. In the original doc, where you were always a Beast, it's suggested this state likely provoked a lot of negativity and harshness for a Beast growing up. The way Heroes were supposed to be low-Integrity is another sign, implying their own natures as a result of things.

This is really problematic, to say the least. The vast majority of victims of abuse don't go on to abuse others and the common belief that they do causes harm to them, similar to how the belief that mentally unwell people are dangerous causes harm to the innocent. Also, the cycle of abuse refers not to that idea, but to common cyclical patterns of behavior in an abusive relationship - the relationship worsens, things hit a breaking point, the abuser apologizes or makes excuses or whatever, time passes, repeat.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Who doesn't want to play as this guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

Being huge assholes.

quote:

The Baal-Hadad — sometimes just called bullmen, other times allowing the vulgar minotaur to be used if sparingly — place themselves as the gods of various towns and villages that sit at the margins of any map. The world is a bad place, a dangerous cesspool with inequity at every turn. God, if such a character ever existed, has long left this world to its own devices, and that is simply unacceptable. The Baal-Hadad have chosen to take God’s place over the people, giving the herd fences from which they may not stray, and providing protection from the injustices of a rotten world. They watch over these small towns and hamlets, accepting sacrifices and worship from the people. They don’t bother with cities or suburbs that lie connected to the rest of society — such places are already lost to the sweeping cancer, and deserve nothing more than excision.

quote:

The townsfolk are expected to sacrifice to the bull-gods. Regular sacrifices, which happen monthly, are lesser: a burning pyre of wheat, a sack of recently beheaded chickens, a poem written in their honor. Those that happen yearly — or once every 10 years — are more extreme. Some farmers offer virginal daughters, others offer pints of their own blood or bottles of their tears. Every town member is expected to commit his own sacrifice at the proper times (usually on holidays such as harvests, solstices, equinoxes — and always under the noon-day sun). Even children are asked to give something to the minotaurs (though never large or dangerous sacrifices — those come later). Failing to sacrifice, or failing to appease with one’s sacrifice, is tantamount to a crime.

Also, they make more of themselves by kidnapping wolf-blooded children and performing a rite that makes them into a bullman. They then get inducted into the cult of themselves.

(They're pretty obviously inspired by the whole golden calf story from the Bible.)