Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's about how it looks on me. Any smaller and it would look comically small. Right now, it's just right. I'm only on the 4th notch in on the strap even, there's barely enough to feed into the 2nd loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/all-android-wear-watches-have-wi-fi-chips-but-some-wont-get-wi-fi-support/

Comprehensive list of Wifi support in the upcoming update.

Yes
Moto 360
Sony SmartWatch 3
LG Watch Urbane

No
Asus ZenWatch
LG G Watch
LG G Watch R

Apparently they all have wifi chips, but neither of the earlier LG watches have antennas. It is unknown if that's the reason why the ZenWatch will not have wifi support.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keep in mind too that if you are a habitual policy abuser, Costco can always refuse to renew your membership on that grounds. So, they do have an escape route to prevent it from becoming out of control.

90 days on cell phones was amazing when Motorola decided to come out with the Razr 60 days after the Droid Bionic.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

Vibration for notifications on Moto 360 is hilariously weak. So weak that I might return it just because of that.

If I'm sitting still, its OK, but if I'm walking around, driving, doing things with my hands, there's a 50/50 chance I won't notice the vibration.

Really? It feels like it's going to rattle my wrist off for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

I'm mostly not buying the obsolesence argument. Why do I care if the Moto 360 version 2 comes out next month? It doesn't reduce the capabilities of my current 360.

I'm with you there. We aren't going to have massive jumps with these products unless we have some sort of major breakthrough in screen tech or battery tech. Until we get to pebble levels of a week long battery life, 24 vs 36 vs 48 really doesn't make one hell of a lot of different.

I also still argue that the Moto 360 with lower battery life but Qi charging is more useful than another watch with slightly higher battery life but a proprietary charging cable.

If for some reason I forgot to charge my Moto 360 at night and I get to the battery warning in the middle of the 2nd day at work, I can just put it on my Qi pad on my desk for an hour and be done with it.

I also have one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Qi-infinity-Portable-compatible-including-receivers/dp/B00K8HGB08

Which means I can charge the thing pretty much anywhere.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 12, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Battery death is not obsolescence though, it's just the lifespan of the product in question.

What Thermopyle is saying is the Moto 360 isn't going to instantly be obsolete when the Moto 360v2 comes out. There aren't going to be huge strides in functionality or specs in this space.

This is even more true if the current 360 can be had new at a significant discount over the incoming v2 version. If you can buy it for 30% less, you can afford to replace it more often when the battery does die. So, from that perspective, the old version bought this month at a discount is superior to the new version bought just a month later at a higher price.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, battery density is the killer and we haven't exactly been crapping out new display technologies left and right. Certainly there have been improvements, but there's only so much impact it can have on a 300mAh battery.

Innovation in this space is going to come from the software stack, how helpful and hands off it can be, not necessarily from hardware specs. Sure we could get to the point where the hardware can no longer run the software, but I'm not seeing that as a constraint any time soon.

It's android wear itself that is going to bring innovation to this space, not the SoC inside the device or how much bezel it has.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's not a device that exists anywhere in any ecosystem that doesn't have a compromise in some form.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I was in pretty much the same situation last year. I got a watch for my birthday from my parents when I already had my heart set on getting a Moto 360 when it was released. I just told them and it wasn't a big deal, why would it be?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If Wear currently had the support (i know it's coming) to pair two watches up to a single phone, I would consider picking one up as one to use when bike riding or other outdoor activity that I wouldn't want to risk marking up my 360. Right now though, it's too much of a PITA to switch between two.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ah, didn't know that update was already out that allowed you to have more than one wear device.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

The haters are going to get a lot of Android mocking mileage out of that one.

Glass houses and stones and such. Extended batteries already exist for the Apple Watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Endless Mike posted:

Not from Apple.

*SHRUG*, they did provide the means of powering the watch from the strap at least.

The point is, no one is smelling like roses except pebble when it comes to smart watch battery life.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I seem to recall saying that the super nice Hauwai watch might as well be vaporwear when it was announced back in Feb since they didn't have a firm release date...

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/06/10/huawei-watch-delayed-until-september-or-october-ugh/

Delayed until at least September, possibly October.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Require More Fire posted:

AFAIK you can't order the Moto metal bands on their own.

You can, they are just pricey.

http://www.motorola.com/us/wearables/watch/moto-360-bands/moto-360-metal-bands/moto360-bands-metal.html

I'm not sure the pebble band has anything to do with the cracked back. I've never changed the band on mine from the original leather one and I have a cracked back (that I'll eventually get around to RMAing.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Rastor posted:

I think any expectation of a 360 mk II announcement today was wishful thinking at best.

Pretty much. There have been zero leaks except for those prototype bezels awhile back. This was always going to be a phone only event anyone who thought otherwise was projecting their on desires with zero evidence.

The 360 hasn't even been out for a year and by all accounts is selling decently well for Motorola. They can afford to take their time with it (no pun intended...actually, no gently caress it, pun INTENDED.)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Kakairo posted:

Has anyone released a travel charger for the Moto 360? The dock is bulky, it would be nice to have something more compact on the go.

I use one of these when traveling.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8HG8YW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

It's a 4000mAh battery with built in Qi. With the size of the internal battery in the 360, that's enough to charge it 8 or so times over before you have to charge the battery pack. So, it lasts through most week long trips and even if you do have to recharge it, it's no big deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's really nice about it is you can easily use it on the go as well. All you need is a rubber band, and you can affix the watch to the charger and toss it in your bag.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

Keep in mind that qi charging incurres a significant amount of wasted power so you're not going to get the rated capacity out of that thing via wireless charging

That was taken into account with my estimates. 4000mah battery with 75% efficiency and the Moto 360's 320mah internal battery should yield you over 9 charges of the watch. Rounded down to 8 to be safe.

Considering you can also get about 36 hours per full charge on the 360 means that battery pack easily lasts you a full week while traveling without having to charge it up.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tunga posted:

75% is a decent yield on a regular battery pack, I'd be amazed if a wireless one can approach anything like that.

(But yes, the 360 battery is tiny and it will still charge is a decent number of times.)

75% is what they claim for wireless charging. Whether or not they are lying, I have no idea.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The new 360 has also been spotted in the wild on wrists in Chicago.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/21/moto-360-2015-in-the-wild/

I'm torn on whether or not I want to upgrade. One one hand, new hotness, on the other hand, my 360 does everything I want it to do so why not just skip a gen and go with a 3rd gen device that will be even better.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

peterjmatt posted:

Is it just me, or do the lugs look way closer together on that first shot (making for a narrower band)? Because it looks ridiculous in that picture.

One of my issues with many smart watches is that they look so huge. I understand that it helps increase functionality with a touch screen and larger display, not to mention space for a battery, but when you mimic an existing design (like a watch shape) but completely miss the proportions it just ends up looking cartoonish.

The watch is likely to come in both 18mm and 22mm variants, so the first shot is likely 18mm.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I would say for some devices maybe.

IFA isn't a big deal in the US so I would expect any US-centric product (like the Moto 360 2) to have its own press release in the US outside of the conference.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, it's looking like there truly is going to be a smaller 360 option.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/27/moto-360-small-and-large-pictured-on-wrist/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There are plenty of choices out there without a "flat tire" now so if it bothers you, buy an Urbane or a something.

The stuff that the 360 gives you over those other watches is exactly why it has a flat tire, so there's no optimal solution right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm probably the only one here who ordered the Rufus Cuff, right?

Regardless, it isn't an android wear devices so it would be discussed in the general wearables thread and not this one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vagrancy posted:

no access to ADB sideload (which is totally a thing a watch needs)

I really hope that is sarcasm.

Qi is great for charging a smartwatch since you have hundreds of products you can buy to charge your smartwatch since there's an overlaping market with phones.

I think it's great that I don't need to unplug and carry my motorola charger any time I travel and instead can just drop my Qi enabled battery pack in my bag.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thermopyle posted:

You've posted it before, but would you mind posting again which one you have?

It's this one.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8HG8YW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

Looks like the current model is updated and slightly different than when I bought, I think mine is only 3000 mAh.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 31, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Vagrancy posted:

AndroidWear.rss:

[list]
[*]Android Wear for iPhone is official: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2015/08/android-wear-now-works-with-iphones.html
(Though the only 1st gen/pre-IFA watch to get it is the LG Urbane.)

I know that's what Google said, but Droid-Life was able to pair up a 360 without issue.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/08/31/moto-360-android-wear-ios/

Caveat seems to be that it needs to be running the latest update first and you can't update the watch without pairing it to the phone first. That's likely why the LG Urbane is the only "official" one right now, it's probably shipping with the latest update.

My bet is many of the 1st gen won't ever be on the official list due to the fact that they aren't going to pull stock and flash them to v1.3 at this point. However, if you have one fully updated, it will likely work.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I may jump simply because I'm going to RMA my current 360 before the end of the month due to the cracked back issue and once I get it back, it seems like a good time to sell it since it should be a completely fresh refurb. I wouldn't want to risk it cracking again which would lower resale value.

I'd probably pony up for the steel band this time as I already have a brown 360 band that I never got around to putting on my current watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I didn't realize until I took a look that Moto Maker allows you to make the new 360 a bit more customized. There are 3 colors, for the metal of the watch (sliver, black, and gold) but you get to choose the bezel and the case separately. On top of that, you can chose for the bezel to be knurled if you choose.

So you can mix and match all of them. Personally, I think black bezel and silver body looks pretty sharp. Haven't decided yet on the knurling, but that would be good to hide scratches on the bezel.

I think the added customization is tipping the scales for me to replace my 360 with the newer model.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

dissss posted:

Has your current 360 picked up any scratches? I'm kind of amazed that mine hasn't yet.

I do have a very light one on the actual face because I was a dumbass and didn't take off my watch before I started screwing around inside a server rack. There's also a very light one on the bezel from (i assume) the same encounter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gen 1 looks small on my wrist.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mobby_6kl posted:

Is the mk2 actually thinner or is that just the photo angle?

It's .1mm thinner. So, yes it is thinner but probably not something you could spot easily in photos.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

amoled is a lot nicer at night since only a handful of pixels are lit up to show the time. It's a lot less bothersome to you and people around you than the backlight you get with an LCD.

But without an ambient light sensor, you are fiddling with the brightness manually to make that happen. I can go straight from a bright lit indoors to my car in the middle of night and have it be the perfect brightness in both situations without touching it.

I would pay MORE to get the ambient light sensor. It's that useful to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ars has their review up now for the new 360.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/09/the-second-generaiton-moto-360-a-beautiful-compact-design-without-much-new-tech/

Their review unit was a 42mm one since the reviewer has smaller wrists.

The following image is interesting when compared to the Huawei.

Part of the difference is due to the smaller size watch, but part of it is how Huawai obtains slim bezels without the flat tire. They stuff the display control circuitry in between the lugs of the watch which push them out a bit further. That causes it to fit a little worse on smaller wrists.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing it did make me realize is that my nifty Qi battery pack won't work with the new 360 due to the lugs. The watch won't lay flat, the lugs will keep the body elevated.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

In both pictures you do pretty much have the same effect going on, it's just not as pronounced since your wrist is bigger. The band more or less departs the watch at a 90 degree angle since the lugs come straight out from the body. It's not necessarily bad, but you can see where they made the fitment compromise to get the thin bezels.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Read the review. Agree with their objective points. Have no doubt the Huawei is backed by the better hardware solely due to the display. It seems silly to spend the same amount on the 360.

That said, I just desire the 360 2 more. Not sure what it is about it, I just like what I see better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's a curiosity and it's obvious that google is going to add some sound support to wear. I just can't see where it will be a use to me. I keep my phone purely on vibrate most of the time and that's in my pocket. I don't want my wrist dinging and I have no interest in carrying out phone conversations from my wrist for any purpose other than pretending I'm a secret agent every once and awhile. NFC is a more useful add as far as I'm concerned, but I doubt we'll see watches with it until next spring and who knows when google is going to implement it.

I shipped my 360 in for RMA today for the cracked back and it really made me realize how much I've gotten used to having it on my wrist. Just having to enter my pin into my phone over and over again was annoying enough.

I keep hovering over the "buy" button on a moto maker 360 2. I would probably get it around the same time I get a 1st gen back from RMA. It makes sense to do it at this point if I'm going to do it since my RMA replacement will be nice and fresh and an easier sell. I still can't help feel as though I'm being silly though.

I think the biggest issue to me is I don't think the crack backing is a defect in material so much as the way you wear it. In other words, I have no confidence that it won't crack again on my wrist so it makes sense to trade up right after it is fixed.

Not that the cracks affected functionality outside of how watertight it is, but it annoyed me.