Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I want a smartwatch mostly for texting - my phone lives in my pocket and I wear regular watch anyway. I don't really care about fitness oriented stuff, nor do I need it to be a standalone phone or have GPS or anything. I'm not crazy about spending much money, and the Ticwatch E2 is looking like the best option for what I want and is currently $111. Are there other options I should consider, or is it a reasonable choice for my intended purposes (i.e., just have remote access to my phone).

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LastInLine posted:

You definitely want the E3 not the E2. Believe me when I say the lag on the on 8 year old chip in the E2 makes typing on any Wear OS that isn't the E3 or the Pro 3 (the only two with the 4100) simply impossible.

sourdough posted:

The TicWatch e3 is apparently available now for $200 and would be a big step up. The e2 was good, just definitely worth the extra money for better chip and ram and the extra side button

Welp, I saw a refurb E2 on sale from the manufacturer for $70 and jumped on it before I saw these, so I guess I'm going to find out. I tend to go cheap when trying out new tech, so we'll see how it goes. I did the same thing with Bluetooth headphones - get cheap ones to figure out what I am looking for and if the base concept is workable, then go from there.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Got my Ticwatch E2 today, and so far it seems pretty neat. loving huge on my wrist, but it seems like it is going to be able to do the things I wanted. I can even reply to texts sent using a 3rd party app, and can control playback on VLC with it.

I've only had it for like 5 hours, so still getting used to it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LastInLine posted:

Why do you need a third party app to reply to SMS? The stock Messages app does this just fine (well not fine, but as well as Wear OS can do anything which is badly).

It's not SMS, it's a dedicated couples app called Between.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LOL - my Ticwatch is 46.9mm. It is ridiculously huge, but it was cheap. It doesn't help I have freakishly thin bird wrists.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Oh, good, I showed up just in time for a heated Android versus iOS slapfight.

In any case, I just stopped by to say that so far I'm pretty happy with my refurb Ticwatch E2, and the biggest issue I've had is with the charger. This seems to be a common problem with them, to the point it comes with a big warning to not connect it to a USB charger that puts out more than 1.1 amps. WearOS has been good for my purposes, and I'm still exploring the things I can do with it.

And so, in closing, Apple sucks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

lol the best galaxy watch 4 classic is gonna be 700 dollarydoos. gently caress that. saying this while wearing a Breitling worth 7 times that

Yeah, no - I didn't spend that much on my drat phone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My TicWatch E2 seems to be holding in there just fine, and I have a history of being hard on watches. Then again I think I have gotten a little more careful with that over the years.

Last week I did have a day where it was just sucking down battery like nobody's business, and I had an alert on my phone it was "debugging over Bluetooth" or some poo poo, but I think it was a Wear OS update or something because after a couple restarts and a full charge it's been back to reasonable consumption and lasting roughly 2 days per charge. Especially if I remember to set it to batter saver mode overnight, which I often forget.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Do any watches give you your body temperature? Or is that another thing that watches can do but is disabled due to regulatory hurdles?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sourdough posted:

I mean, if you have a bluetooth thermometer under your tongue or in your butt, I guess your watch could sync with it maybe?

#LifeGoals

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Hey, Mobvoi released the Ticwatch Pro 3 Ultra GPS today (phew, I hope my watch tracked the workout to say that full name.)

They're running a sale on the Ticwatch E3 right now that is really tempting me at $149. I like my Ticwatch E2, but the E3 has a 4100 processor, pulse oximeter, and a speaker in addition to microphone so I could answer calls on my wrist. My E2 has been great, but have a faster version that can check my blood oxygenation and let me answer calls from my watch is making me consider it.

I got my E2 for a song as it was refurbished, but I really have grown to appreciate it. Being able to handle texts without digging out my phone has been liberating, as has never having my phone make noise and instead just having my watch vibrate has been awesome.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LastInLine posted:

We told you!

Well, yeah, but I'd already pulled the trigger and it was only like $60 for the E2. I'm happy enough with it I am kind of torn about upgrading, but I like it so much that a faster version with more capabilities is really calling to me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LastInLine posted:

I'm using a ZenWatch 2 that I think my girlfriend bought five years ago for $30 for the same reason. On the one hand, it does everything I want or need it to do. On the other, new/shiny. Every time I think about it I just come back to the fact that this thing is doing fine.

I gave in and ordered it while the sale is still going on. Taking phone calls on my wrist and having it work as a pulse oximeter was just too tempting. Not sure if I'll keep the E2 around as backup or give it to someone or what. I really like it, but the E3 is faster and is actually supposed to get Wear OS 3 so should stay a little more current.

Of course now I need to order a spare charger for the E3, since of course they are different. And they take different bands so I had to order another one for the E3 since I think they look way better with brown leather bands.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gotta say I've been impressed with the battery life of the Ticwatch E3 over my old Ticwatch E2. More than a day with my normal use, which is a bit better than before. I also like that I can make an answer calls from my wrist since it has a mic and speaker, although I haven't played around with it much. The screen is great, though, and the 4100 processor is definitely snappier than the 2100.

Now if only my leather watchband would arrive for it. I really liked the hybrid band I got for my E2 but of course the E3 takes a different size.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I really like my Ticwatch E3, but find the available watch faces lacking. Is there a good clearinghouse for watch faces outside the Play Store or Mobvoi itself? Or a way to just make my own face that does what I want? I've found one that is workable but I actually liked the face I found for my E2 better, but it doesn't seem to exist for the E3. :confused:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not entirely sure whether I even like that Pixel Watch design. And I say that as an Apple Watch owner, a device that has also rounded edges. But that circular version looks just weird.

Looking at those images the two things that come to mind are "jewelry" and "fragile." I've always gone for fairly robust watches (like diving watches), and the lack of a bezel just looks wrong to me. On my Ticwatch E3 the lack of a raised bezel gives me pause, as compared to the raised bezel on my Ticwatch E2, although the E3 is an upgrade in just about every other regard.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

The thing is, those renders (based on either visual description or, more likely at this stage, design sketches) just aren't even practical.

The Gen 6 skimps about as much as you can on battery size, and it's significantly thicker at even 44mm and it was rumored that this watch was going to be on the smaller size (which is a dealbreaker to me as much as the non-standard bands.). The watch 4 non-classic in 44mm is about the smallest watch that doesn't look out of place on my wrist.

If the Watch 4 or the Ticwatch Pro 3 or Fossil Gen 6 can run everything that watch is running and we aren't getting any meaningful pixel experience upgrades, then there isn't one hell of a whole lot of point to this thing unless it's also quite cheap (which I doubt it will be).

But hey, for like $149 I could see that design being an OK buy to get a Watch OS 3 device for cheap.

My Ticwatch E3 is slated to get Wear OS 3 when it releases, and I don't think I paid much more than $149 for it. Actually, I just checked, and I guess I paid $169.99 for it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Krime posted:

Was there some recent update to Samsung Gen 4 watches that could be destroying my battery?

I normally go 8-10 hours on 40-50% usage but the last 2 days I'm down to 15% battery after only about 7 hours.

Frustrating and makes no sense.

I saw something similar happen on my Ticwatch E2 that seemed to be related to an update. My phone showed a weird notification that my watch was in debugging mode or something, but after waiting and a restart or two it went back to normal behavior in a day or so. I'd suggest making sure your phone has run any available updates and restart it, too.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Krime posted:

After a restart everything seems to be back to normal. I'm 9 hours in and still at 72% today.

Just to follow on with this further, the other day I fired up my Ticwatch E2 for the first time in weeks (since I switched to an E3) and it ran dog slow and sucked the battery down for quite a while, then eventually normalized. I know it was installing updates since it had been a while since I had turned it on and my E3 has had several updates over that time, but at least on the Ticwatch Wear OS 2.0 doesn't seem to give you any indication that's what it's doing. It would be nice if there was a system status notification somewhere, but AFAIK there isn't one.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

On my Ticwatches I've kept both tilt to wake and tap to wake on and the battery life has been good. On the E3 in particular I find the tilt to wake works well most of the time.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

A MINIATURE LLAMA posted:

Ticwatch E3 folks, are you happy with your purchase? Satisfied with battery? My Samsung Active 2 watch died and was considering this as an alternative.

I really like mine, and the battery has been good for me. For context, though, the only other smartwatch I've owned was a Ticwatch E2 that I liked well enough to upgrade to the E3. I don't really use the health related stuff much, and use my watch mostly as an extension of my phone so I don't have to pull my phone out of my pocket every time I get a text or want to check the weather or whatever. I also bought leather bands for it because I'm not fond of the silicone band it came with, and it's currently rocking a Timex band that I think makes it look a lot better than the base band.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I know my WearOS 2.x watches will suck down battery while running updates, but give no indication that's what they're doing (other than maybe being a bit slow and sluggish). I have no idea if that's what you two might be seeing or not, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

You mistake my meaning.

Google is still actually building the OS. The only reason why GW4 has WearOS 3 is Google basically handed Samsung a beta and said "here, fill in the gaps and get it on a device."

The OS just flat out isn't done yet. That's why we don't have a Pixel Watch. That's why we don't have Google Assistant on WearOS 3. That's why every other manufacturer is shut out from using it (because they all rely on reference OS builds from Google.)

This is a case of Google knowing they needed to do something but were a year away from delivering even a developer preview, so they called on the only other watch manufacturer that had software development experience and said "Spackle the holes with what you learned from Tizen while we try to finish this thing."

This makes me feel better about waiting on WearOS 3 on my Ticwatch E3. WearOS 2 has been running just fine for me.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

codo27 posted:

I almost get it but nonetheless one of the most bizarre things to me are analog watch faces on smartwatches

I have a hard time imagining NOT using an analog face on a smartwatch, so I guess we cancel out.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Three Olives posted:

Honestly, I am still so confused by round faces on smartwatches, it makes absolutely no sense from a usability or technology standpoint and skeuomorphism seems to have been soundly rejected in pretty much every other aspect when it comes to modern technology. I guess part of it is round displays are viewed as cutting edge, but, they really aren't anymore? I feel like you could do something interesting like a watch screen that is a bit taller but has a curve to it?

I don't know, round faces have been pretty standard for regular watches forever, so there is likely a certain amount of inertia that a watch as an accessory should be round. The only square watches I ever owned were super early LCD watches and calculator watches (to my eternal shame).

If someone put out a square Wear OS watch that had the hardware I want I'd consider it, for the usability reasons you mention, but I would have to get past my decades of wearing round watches to get used to it. As it is my round TicWatches are fine to use, and I'm not sure a square form factor would make the tiny keyboard much easier to type on.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My Ticwatch E3 started not being to able to find my location last night, and I'm not sure how to try to resolve it.

I've already tried:
- restarted watch
- forgot and re-paired to phone
- turned location off and on again on watch
- installed Google Maps (which also can't find location)
- factory reset the watch and set it up again on my phone

Anyone have any suggestions for how to make WearOS remember how to find my location? The above are steps I found Googling the issue, but nothing appears to be working.

Edit: Nevermind - I opened Maps on my phone, enabled location there, and now my watch is working as expected again. I feel stupid, but I swear I had allowed location in Maps previously - I wonder if the permission got reset by an update or something. It would be nice if my watch or Wear OS or loving anything involved in the loop gave me a meaningful error message or dialog about what was going on. Anyway, problem solved.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 25, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'd just like a Wear OS watch without the Mobvoi bloat of my Ticwatches. If Mobvoi's software was better it wouldn't be an issue, but it's a minor annoyance avoiding their apps and trying to parse their spam-level English translations. I should see how much of the Mobvoi suite I can uninstall and still keep the functionality I want, but :effort:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

I'm glad I'm not alone in not giving a poo poo about fitness features on a smart watch.

I like the idea of being able to check my heartrate and blood oxygenation, but that's not a huge deal for me. I didn't want a smartwatch so it could be a fitness nag, I wanted it so I didn't have to pull my phone out of my pocket for every random text or phone call. It's weird to me that searching for a smartwatch rather than a fitness tracker was surprisingly difficult - even the more capable watches push the fitness stuff first and foremost.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sourdough posted:

Fitness stuff is where they've been making more improvements (new sensors, new apps/tracking) and what differentiates different watches (gps on watch, what sensors it has). If you just want notifications, everything will work fine. Find one with long battery life and go for it.

It's kinda like no one advertising crystal clear call quality, smartphones are all fine there (and it's a rare and notable exception when they aren't). So if you mostly just want to make calls, just pick one, you're not going to find (a mainstream) one being hyped up as the ultimate phone call making phone.

I mean I wanted to not only be able to see notifications on my watch, but reply from there, too. I'm not sure that ability is present on as many watches as just getting notifications is. But, like I said, with the dominance of the fitness stuff I found it hard to dig down and find which watches actually had the features I wanted. I can call, text, and control VLC entirely from my watch, but in the marketing stuff I see more that I can swim with my watch and poo poo like that, little about the actual smart things it will do.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I definitely agree that fragmentation is a problem, including down to the level of super-proprietary chargers for each device.

I'm not anti the fitness stuff, nor do I disagree with your points, but I think my desired device would get some traction, too, if it were clearly marketed as such. That device being more or less an extension of my phone, like a second screen/UI. My Ticwatches largely accomplish this, albeit in a somewhat cludgy way. I just feel like the dominance of the fitness stuff over extending the usefulness of phones is a bit limiting.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

That sounds incredibly annoying. Both my Motorola One 5G Ace and my Pixel 6 never had a problem staying connected to my Ticwatches. The most annoying thing I've seen with Bluetooth was after switching my Ticwatch E3 from my Motorola to my Pixel and forgetting the Ticwatch from the Motorola I would still get prompts on the Motorola that it had found the Ticwatch and did I want to connect. I kept dismissing it but just had to turn off Bluetooth on the Motorola for a while to get some peace. For whatever reason it's stopped doing it now.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

If it has proprietary wristbands then I'd be concerned it won't fit me or I'll tear through watchbands like mad due to my weirdly thin wrists. And I agree that curved glass design looks fragile as hell.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Humerus posted:

Google engineers get paid more if they make something new that takes off as opposed to improving something existing and that getting big.

It's why they've made a dozen chat apps and made YouTube Music instead of improving Google Play Music and etc etc...

I always feel a little nervous when I like and start to rely on a Google product. Keep is a great notes and reminder app, but it seems like just the sort of project Google would lose interest in and vaporize.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

My smartwatches are round and they're fine. :shrug:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think the only square watch I ever owned was a calculator watch when I was 13 or so and hopelessly nerdy.

Aside from being like a centimeter tall my Ticwatches look like pretty normal watches with the bands I put on them.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Ah, but there are square mechanical watches.

Look, you aren't going to convince me. I don't want a square rear end digital watch on my wrist unless it's some throwback Casio, deal with it. Any difference in usability with a screen this small is meaningless min/maxing.

In other news, Google Assistant is live on the GW4.

Preach, brother.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I have to say that as much as I like my Ticwatches that the Pixel Watch is sounding more appealing to me. The proprietary apps on my Ticwatches annoy me and will activate without prompting if they think I'm exercising, and Mobvoi did a poo poo job properly internationalizing their apps and website. A pure WearOS watch is sounding pretty good to me.

That said, I haven't done my due diligence in seeing how much I can de-Mobvoi my Ticwatches - I think there is a way to use ADB to uninstall stuff, but I haven't taken the time to really research it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

No such thing though. The Pixel Watch is going to be Fitbit integrated for the most part.

Ugh. I have no experience with Fitbit stuff, but at least the website should be in better English, I guess.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, I think I've mentioned before that I don't really use the fitness stuff at all, and mostly use the watch as an extension of my phone. I do need to work on my health, so might use the fitness stuff some day, but I primarily use my watch to get notifications, see and respond to texts, decline phone calls, check the weather, and control my music when I'm in a car without great Bluetooth integration. Controlling the camera on my phone with my watch is something I've played around with but should probably get a tripod to really make use of.

I'm halfway through setting up Google Pay (Wallet) on my watch but keep forgetting to complete the process.

My Ticwatch E3 is still great, I just don't like the proprietary apps and their lackadaisical approach to translating their stuff into English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

hooah posted:

Got my Pixel 7 today, and transfered my Watch4 Classic over to it. Weirdly, the restore didn't trigger app downloads. So, I tried opening the Play Store. Failed to connect to wifi. Ok, go to the wifi settings, make sure that's connected, then go back to the Play Store. Now it's just a white screen with a cloud logo and a retry arrow. Restarted the watch, and now the Play Store just shows a blank white screen for a second or two before crashing. I guess I should just reset my watch again? But what the gently caress?

I have Ticwatches, but one complaint I have about them is that they give no indication when they are running updates. You might give it a little time to see if the behavior resolves on its own before resetting it again.