Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
This patch is pretty big- I'm showing 4.5GB in Steam. Are they always so big? I haven't played for long. Patch notes for the new changes here. There's a lot there, but the highlights are a new boss, a big nerf to Normal, the Dosh Vault (which looks like a new currency for unlocks?), a new map, and a huge pile of bugfixes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
KF-Wolfenstein is a terrible level. It's HUGE and very linear. I randomed into a server running it and we eventually wiped on round 7/7 because none of us were adore to get to the pod for three rounds running. If you find yourself on that map, just disconnect and find another match.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

At no point should any player be more than thirty or so seconds from any pod, let alone multiple minutes!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Any tips for dealing with getting swarmed as demo without the grenade pistol? I got swarmed while armed only with the grenade launcher and seeker six and neither actually detonates at point blank range.

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 22, 2017

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

Aim at the ground slightly away from yourself and jump-shoot. Don't bother aiming at the trash running at you, aim 45 degrees away and splash them.

Good advice, but I'm talking when I'm already surrounded and getting pounded on. I can't even see if anything running at me!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Thank you!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

So you can just cheat your perks up without getting banned or anything? I assumed that data would be stored serverside by Tripwire.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I love the Eviscerator but I feel like it's maybe too powerful on Normal? There's very little I don't feel confident about soloing with it.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

This gif got me to try the Bonecrusher and it's pretty fun! How do you get it to knock that Stalker away like that?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I love the M16 as commando - being able to clear out a small group in a panic or drop a grenade directly into the face of a medium Zed is really nice.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Oh god, did they at least make the trader available everywhere like wateronmars? Giant KF levels are the worst without that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

How can you tell where the next trader will be?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Lady Morgaga posted:

Hummm there is a compass in top left corner of screen.

I've somehow never noticed that, just the guide after the level ends.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Propaganda Hour posted:

I really like the new map. I feel like it blends the new post-The Descent style chamber maps and the classic hold-out maps incredibly well. The hold-the-zone gimmick is excellent, too.

I like the feeling that there's a place we're invading, holding off waves of attackers, and working our way toward the target. Makes it feel less like we're just there and more like we're actually doing a mission, you know?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I feel like it would help to cap hp scaling at some point but allow population to scale as high as the server can handle.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Killing Floor and Killing Floor 2 are included in the new Humble Bundle.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I don't know how anybody can stand to play harder than Normal, even on Hard everything seems like a terrible bullet sponge.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Vault dosh for everything you do instead of just the daily objectives is pretty nice.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I legit don't understand what the Cyst and Slasher rounds in Endless are supposed to be about. Just to give you a break, I guess? They might be more challenging if it were, like, four times as many zeds at a time, but when it's just trickling out a dozen or so at a time there's no particular point.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm loving the Husk Gun, except that when you're lagging it has the same problem any explosives do. Also the AOE could be a bit higher.

Also, what's with people welding random doors shut for no reason? Is there a perk that gets XP for ensuring that other players will round a corner only to find that what should be an escape is a dead end?

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 31, 2018

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Is anybody else not really seeing the Patriarch boss lately? I feel like if I play five games I fight four Abominations and either a Volter or a King Fleshpound.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Yeah, I guess just one of those things where weird streaks are random, too.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The wave they always gets me is Up, Up And Decay. Just can't figure out how to get out of the way of that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I don't think I'm a fan of more projectile enemies.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

I gotta admit Sharpshooter doesn't really click for me. I think it's because I spent a lot of the time on trash duty so I have to fight the urge to shoot at Crawlers and Clots instead of bloats/sirens/husks.

Plus I generally prefer to hipfire almost everything

I can play a sharpshooter and be bad on trash and great on larges, our I can play a pyro, commando, or demo and be good against everything.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I love the husk cannon but I would not protest a bit if they nerfed it. It's ridiculously powerful and makes the firebug way more solo capable. I played an endless round with it and just let my guy die around wave fifty because it was getting late.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm not a fan of the EDARs- they're tougher than Fleshpounds and they like to spawn in little groups. Also, one of the EDAR varieties is the Immobilizer, and for a game where constantly being on the move is absolutely essential to not getting killed, getting swarmed by three Immobilizers hitting you over and over with Immobilizer beams so that you can't escape or dodge incoming hits is really unfun- not least because those Immobilizers take a huge amount of damage to knock down. If the Immobilizer variety took a lot less damage it'd be something you'd need to prioritize quickly, which would be an added twist, but as it is they're way too much of a difficulty spike.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Also they nerfed the poo poo out of the husk cannon, but it's hard to complain owing to how overpowered it was and anyway they nerfed the hell out of a lot of good weapons, notably the Eviscerator. My real complaint about the weapons right now is that while I love the grenade pistol, and I love it even more once it's been hilariously upgraded, its ammo capacity is too low to use it as a main weapon like I want to past about wave 15.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I just want to take a moment to salute the intrepid lukechurros, who when I rando'd into a server looking to do the weekly mode, I found attempting to, as a level 22 Field Medic, solo a Scrake. Without any ammunition. His boosted speed gave him the ability to escape the Scrake and heal, then run back at it and keep slashing away. Unfortunately, the current weekly event is the one where injured Zeds bloat up and start regenerating when they're hurt, and he simply couldn't pour on enough DPS, as a field medic falling back on his knife, to overcome the Scrake's regen and finish the job. Which, hey, unwinnable situation, we've all been there. That's not why I want to salute him.

I want to salute him because I took this screencap after watching him do this for ten minutes, patience giving way to annoyance and ultimately to a need to find out how long it would take him to come to the understanding that he was doomed. I disconnected at fifteen minutes, the moment having passed.

Godspeed, lukechurros, whoever you are.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I actually like getting the Abomination- yeah, it's got a stupid amount of health and armor, but as long as you shoot the gooey poo poo-zeds, there's nothing the Abom can do to you unless you're in melee range, and you're faster than he is. You can just kite him forever, and since it's a boss round, there's ammo everywhere.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

As an old fan of the autosniper from Counter-Strike I'm really looking forward to the FN FAL.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I really like Kevin's grumpy, hostile grumbling and threats in endless mode so this should be a treat.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I have zero sympathy for the people on Steam whining about the paid headshot graphics packs- I love that KF2 keeps getting continual updates and special events and TW's gotta pay for those somehow. Entirely optional DLC that doesn't affect gameplay sounds marvelous.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

While checking out a map that draws extensively from V:tM Bloodlines, I encountered the rare triple Abomination!

Fortunately I only had to kill one of them, though I nearly died during the repeated cutscenes...

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's also just fun to run around exploding things with a fully upgraded grenade pistol.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Field Medic can feel really bad with a bad team, but I've been getting some really good groups lately and it's amazing how useful you can feel and how much you can contribute to the group when they're actually able to play defensively and healing them isn't just futile.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

aniviron posted:

Yeah, it's awful to hit someone with eight darts in a row and then they die anyway, how do they have so little self-preservation instinct. On the other hand, hitting someone who is good but out of position with eight darts, having them back up and survive feels awesome.

Also, that perk that heals you for 10% of your health whenever you heal somebody can make you feel goddamned invincible some rounds.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The freeze gun is fun.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The Santa's Workshop level is really good and feels like they're really building on their work with the Summer airship level. Instead of "You need to weld these spots before you run out of zeds to kill", it's "You need to weld these spots and there's going to be waves of zeds until you finish". Instead of "you need to pull this lever and keep the surrounding area free of zeds for awhile, and you fail if you run out of zeds first", it's "You're going to pull this lever [x] times, and you can only pull it if the area is free of zeds". So this all feels like a real improvement over the similar mechanics from the airship, and really present a feeling of progression that is otherwise absent from Killing Floor 2 levels other than Krampus' Workshop. Also, Gary Busey as Santa is goddamned hilarious.

Of the new weapons, I've only played with the Thompson so far, and I love it- it hits surprisingly hard and the reload time is surprisingly short considering how large the magazines are. The high fire speed does mean that you can burn through all your ammo really quickly, though, so spraying on full-auto like it's the Stoner is a bad idea and will run you dry quickly.

Overall I'm really impressed with this update so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Abandoned Toaster posted:

This latest Gary Busey map seems one of the worst yet. Infinite waves have never been appreciated and they sure aren't now. Lin fought a Suicidal 7 wave for an hour before I convinced her to throw and then she decided to go to bed so...

I blame Tripwire for this.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Stuff only keeps spawning if you ignore the objectives. That's the entire premise of the map.