Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Kazvall posted:

Once you're past 5 or so it gets a lot better. Same with the firebug starter.

Ramsus posted:

Yeah, it's pretty lame.

Both of these statements are equally accurate. Demo gets massively better at level 5, the ability to chunk a grenade that goes off on impact does wonders for survivability, it's still rather weak compared to other classes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

At least it's a million times easier to level up in KF2 than KF1. Just "shoot zeds", no having to grind out welding doors, trying to nail stalkers before your team mates saw their shimmer and removed them, or having to get the killing blow on the Patriarch 100x times while you stand on your hands and wield your gun with your feet.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yes.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Insert umpteenth complaint about the Hans' melee being every so slightly overtuned here. It's great to go up against him and then moments later go "Wait, why did I die, I was at full health and 80 armor?" Because Hans decided to use his "kill player" ability.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

I finally gave demolitionist try tonight and...how the gently caress do people play this class.

Everything is super expensive and carries such little ammo. The grenade pistol is less like a grenade pistol and more like a shotgun. C4 is insanely expensive. The m79 is pretty great however, but like the RPG7 I feel like it carries such little ammo.

also where the heck is the MGL?

Demo really shines once you hit 5 and your grenades detonate on impact with a Zed.

Well, maybe it starts to glimmer. Shine is too strong of a word. Demo definitely needs work.

Kazvall posted:

Zerk really isn't that OP. I'd say the real thing going for them is the ability to block and parry which other classes simply don't take because of weight. They went from useless perks to some decent playstyle choices.

Yeah, I'll agree that Zerk isn't OP. Strong as gently caress, yes, but you still need to know what you're doing and not overly strong to reach the point of "OP" in a cooperative game where the RPG, microwave gun and the medic weapons exist as shiny toys to pull people away.

The real problem is that apparently Tripwire decided that their core abilities, block and parry, should be required by everybody. Nobody else blocks and parries besides the upcoming samurai/ninja/whatever class. So now you either have a good zerk or two, and are lucky that Hans/Scrakes/FPs home in on them or else the entire time gets flattened into the floor. It's very much a binary feeling of "this is survivable and fun" to "Oh, hey, someone turned off the fun and now we're all dead".

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Zomborgon posted:

Basically, I want my One True Class to be useful again at the boss fight.

Support's still incredibly useful against Hans. The AA12 still makes his HP melt incredibly fast...until Hans turns around and rips your face off at least. :gibs:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I have the weirdest technical issue that I can't figure out.

My voice chat receive volume keeps being set to 0 on every single load or every single new round. I mean, I fully expect my random team mates to say nothing/be idiots but it would be nice to be able to hear them to judge that for myself.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

I, too, like the arming mechanism for the demo. I just wish the demo had a better backup/trash clearer than the cluster pistol of MEH. Seiously, even a sawed of double-barrel with 12G frags would have been a breath of fresh air compared to the Demo's all single shot, all the time.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Explode on contact dynamite is so good I keep forgetting that Demo has another perk at level 5.

How about the demo gets a level perk where it reduces fuse delay/minimum distance before detonation by 4% every level? Demo really needs more % points per level.

Section Z posted:

A traditional Typical Pubbie would be complaining they can't kite Hans to a door full of C4 and instantly kill him :v:

I still think slicing the damage in half for the second C4 is bonkers though. Not just because of the damage itself, but because it makes multiple demos more afraid of loving eachother over if they try to use so much as a single C4 anywhere near each other.

Yeah, Zenos Nuclear Explosion is a dumb setup. It would at least be better if each demo had their own C4 explosion counter so if two demos set off bombs at once they don't count against each other.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

So I've come to the conclusoin that the Firebug's big purpose on Hans isn't necessarily damage but airblasting him about when he starts stabbing people. I start with the trench gun to try to knock off a good chunk of his HP as fast as possible, and start switching to the microwave gun more and more as he goes down the stages to where he's more likely to berserk some poor fool.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

I love that altfire, it should let you reflect/redirect the Husk's fire attack, maybe causing it to do more damage and/or explode

The fact that the alt-fire does damage too is useful. It's hilarious when you push back a charging FP/Scrake only to watch all the trash around him vaporize.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Away all Goats posted:

It's weird how many people run away from sirens. Especially people with shotguns. Rush that psycho and blow her head off. You'll take like 3-5 pts of damage at most if you do it right

As a Firebug, Sirens and Husks are the two zeds I charge with my Trenchgun. They're just dangerous/annoying enough to warrant attention and outside of panicked "OH GOD THERE'S A SCRAKE IN MY FACE" moments it's really not a Firebug's job to worry about the big dudes beyond adding a bit of damage here and there until you get the Microwave Gun.

Once you do have the microwave gun though it's my job to get into every big dude's face and start loving with them with a mixture of the airblast fireball and the bonus stumble from Heatwave (aim for the heads to cause even more knockback).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

If you're not picking up C4 by round 3 at the latest, you hosed up somewhere. The stacking penalty is also hardly as devastating as it's made out to be since a) C4 one-shots everything but the big bads, b) you shouldn't need to solo big bads by yourself with nothing but C4, and c) you can leverage radiation at max level to solo the big bads anyway.

The problem isn't the C4 or the grenade pistol it's, as said, the progression is cluster pistol->c4->GL->RPG7

In short you're stuck with the cluster pistol for way too long, which is only good for trash on a class who's stated job is "Anti-Tank Duty", when 2/3 of the big guys (Hans/Scrake) are very resistant to him. Though at least the FP makes it up by hilariously weak to explosions. In short the pistol is serviceable but you're stuck with it for way too long, especially at lower levels when you don't have the extra ammo for C4/instant detonatoin dynamite.

Oh, also the problem is the fact that the RPG-7 doesn't fly through zeds that are too close like some sort of harpoon or railgun and THEN detonate at its minimum arming distance. This is a feature I never realized I wanted until someone in the thread suggested it. The RPG is your ultimate weapon as a demo, and costs 10 weight. It should have ALL the shiny features.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Finally unlocked the Zed Shrapnel perk and oh my loving god this is the best ability. There may be more powerful abilities but this is the best! I think my favorite moment so far was spraying my MWGun into a group around a Scrake. Got 3-4 detonations which made everyone else stumble, which brought a Bloat low enough that he exploded, which brought the Scrake low enough that he exploded.

And while not as dramatic it's so very instantly satisfying to make trash detonate with a single shot of the Trenchgun.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Insert name here posted:

What does +range do for the trench gun? I haven't played FB all that much but it doesn't seem like the shots disappear.

Yeah, I've had no real issues with the Trench Gun at range, the shots don't just magically disappear. I have no idea how the +range/+width stuff would affect it unless it alters the cone of fire.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Honestly the problem I feel is that the perks that make a class a liability or a boon to their team are so very deep. First of all, no class should be a liability at any point, but if there is a class that is a liability they should get the skills to make them not poo poo early on. The classes should be fun to play, having to deal with more than maybe the first five levels as a class that's weak is just not fun at any point. I don't care about power creep, if a class needs an ability to be fun/useful, put it first and don't make the player slog through 60% of the levels to reach it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Playing with friends, they're relatively new (all sub-5) but we're in voice chat and communicating and not having too much trouble on Hard. Proving that teamwork and communications are really what's overpowered.

Then we get to Hans. "Don't let him touch you!" Is the advice me and my other buddy give the rest, knowing full well there's not much one can do when Hans decides to remove a face but feeling they deserved to be warned. My friend's responses: "What do you mean...oh..." :gibs:

Dear KF2 devs, Hans's melee is bullshit. I understand you need a sort of "gently caress off" button to keep players from kiting him forever but as is he just chooses a player and decides he/she is dead. Honestly it would be great if instead Hans got stronger each player he killed. 1-2 isn't so bad, you do have to worry about him a bit more but its not disastrous. Its when you get to 3-4 that he starts taking off and by the time the last guy is kiting him Hans is in full on freight train mode.

Also, do buff his gas grenades back a tiny bit when you dull his claws so they don't 2-shot players.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

cliffdiver posted:

My personal favorite is after a tough round and everyone on the team is hurting, the announcer lady yells at you to heal your teammates and buy armor 6 times in a row.

"You're looking a little low. Buy some ammo"

*Is sitting fully stocked besides the 9mm pistol backup* gently caress you lady, you just want my Dosh so I can't afford to buy a bigger gun next round.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Psion posted:

I would like bling a lot more if it gave you like 10 horzinebux every time you found one, but alas, no

Yeah, 10-20 dosh for finding/shooting one would be lovely.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Skoll posted:

The firebug is a living flashlight.

The weird thing is that the firebug acts as a flashlight for everyone but himself. The caulk and flamethower don't seem to create that much actual illumination for the user. For other people it's great though.

I do think that the burning zeds should create a little more illumination though. If only for the moment when they all go out and it goes dark again (because the FP or Scrake murdered the Bug)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Coolguye posted:

any berserker you see using the eviscerator shouldn't be relied upon at all

Dunno, I had a zerker with an eviscerator win me a round...

Because he died like a chump, as did everyone else on the team, but he dropped his Eviscerator which let me finish soloing 3/4ths of the wave as a medic after my medic guns ran out of bullets.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hans is just bullshit right now, and it's honestly really frustrating that TWI haven't sent a quick patch to fix it, or those that post in the thread haven't at least acknowledged our complaints. It's just not fun to deal with when he just chooses a player to die. Don't pass Go, don't collect 200 Dosh, Hans looked at you and now you're dead even faster than his pre-nerf machine guns. Those machine guns, as frustrating as they are, at least didn't make Hans un-fun enough that I didn't want to play. Now though, even if you know what was coming there's a very good chance that you simply won't physically be able to react in time. And the times you do manage to get out your combat knife/box cutter/scalpel and block to mitigate the damage from "instant death" to a mere "oh god that hurts", Hans will go "Oh there's a player within 5 meters of me, time to use my melee attack again!" and repeat until dead.

Seriously, buff the grenades, nerf the melee. Grenades can generally be dodged with players paying attention, especially now that they have big red markers. Maybe give the grenades an extra second of fuse time in response to buffing the blast/poison damage.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Alereon posted:

I'd actually say shorter range and more damage with a shorter fuse time. Maybe make the poison strength scale with how much poison you take? I feel like I currently spend too much time poisoned because I got forced into the edge of a gas cloud for a fraction of a second, but otherwise the grenades are trivial to avoid.

Either way, I think the Grenades really should be the biggest "skill check" since they mostly rely on the players paying attention. Having Hans go "You die." is just not fun, be it with his previously somewhat strong guns, and now his way too strong melee. Meanwhile dying to a grenade is...annoying but it's more likely to feel that it's your fault. Hans does need to pose a threat, even to players that have fought him 100+ times, but he shouldn't have the ability to single out one player to instantly die no matter what, even if they're clairvoyant. Because this sums up my views pretty well:

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah, i still have a fantastic time the 10 waves before him but that fight being so sucky has kept me from going back into the game for weeks now. Consistently ending on a frustrating note is the worst "tension arc" a match could have.

EVERYTHING ELSE is fine and wonderful. I mean, I can easily have a complete blast on Commando even though it's easily the most boring and frustrating class to play right now. Then Hans shows up and my choices are "quit, or watch Hans reduce the team to 1 player who spends 20+ minutes kiting before one or the other dies."

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Have a high level zerk, get a medic that's at least 20 and just have the zerk tank Hans forever, that's how I've killed him since the last update.

Even then a low level zerk can still mitigate a lot of damage via blocking and keep his agroo on himself.

Works right up until the point that Hans decides to activate his nitro-booster and go after someone else. Like, say, the Medic. A Zerker and a Medic (or at least guys with med-guns) is practically required but by no means actually guarantee of a victory no matter how good they are just because Hans can suddenly decide that one of the non-zerker players is annoying him.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Foreskin Problems posted:

When discussing wacky fantasy weapons why doesn't anyone ever suggest robocop's gun?

Well, it was in Blood Dragon...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Questioner86 posted:

He's actually got a really brutal attack the removes a player from the fight by shooting a loving rocket up their rear end.

So...basically KF1 all over again?

I remember those days when hearing "One in the pipe!" means there was a 50/50 chance one of your team-mates was gonna bite it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

You posters don't know what you want. That's why you're still goons, ' cause you're stupid! Just tell me what's wrong with the freakin' game!

Nah, I know what I want and it's not in the patch sadly.

Questioner, I missed your time for tonight but I hope you get this tomorrow or whenever: FIX HANS PLEASE! While I'm a tad frustrated that the Demo got nothing but his high level skill nerfed (which I don't have unlocked yet anyways) and a mild ammo buff to the RPG-7 it's not what's keeping me from playing this game. There are several other classes, and all of them are rather fun.

The issue is Hans and his ability to straight up ratfuck a player from full health to dead in about two to three seconds. Unless you have a zerker or two who're on the ball games either end in an anticlimatic whimper when Hans goes through the players like a chainsaw through butter, or it ends up drawn out for 30 minutes as one player runs around in circles, kiting Hans until the round ends (likely with the player's loss). This kills the entire fun of the game, and it's not something the player can control. Please, please, please prioritize working on Hans, or just simply revert him to his old state with high damaging guns and mediocre melee. Introducing the Patriarch will alleviate this a bit even if the Patriarch is perfectly tuned from the get-go, that's still a 50% chance that no matter what the final boss will suck and retroactively remove all of the fun from the round.

Hans's bullshit is why I, and many of my friends put this game down despite how much fun we had everywhere else. Please try to do something about Hans ASAP.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Require More Fire posted:

Can you mix-and-match what you have akimbo? I assume not but boy would that be neato.

Actually, you can. Non 9mm Akimbo weapons count as primaries, but if you've only got a single of a certain kind of weapon it counts as a secondary. Every single akimbo weapon for the gunslinger can be bought individually, and they're dropped/sold individually.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Elysiume posted:

I think they mean a deagle in the right hand an a 1911 in the left, at the same time.

Ah, fair enough. No you can't do that.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

While not so much ugly, at least to me I think it looks neat, here's something in the vein of the Calico you posted earlier.

The Bizon, another weird but neat magazine sporting SMG, this time with a big dumb tube that'll get you 64 rounds of 9mm.

Welp, that picture's giving me flashbacks to Battlefield 2. Not sure if it was that gun exactly but one of the classes on the MEC side (I wanna say the Anti-Tank dude) had an SMG with a helix drum mag.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Just give Medic a passive aura that gets tweaked via the skills you take. Done.

Give the medic bullets full of/made out of nanites. Every time you shoot an enemy, friendlies near your target get a tiny bit of healing from the healing nanites splashing onto them.

Maybe make it every 4-5th bullet for the SMG/AR, give them a visible bullet trail and call them "Nano-tracers". Make it opposite a skill that instead gives you incendiary/poison tracers. At the very least, you can't go wrong turning the medic's high-tech guns into pretty light shows.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Hadn't really played this game since I think Demo and Firebug first game out and quit because I'd gotten frustrated with a few things. Mainly balance and Hans's bullshit. Picked this up a few days ago and oh my god the game has gotten so much better. Most of my complaints have been taken care of, the classes all have skill choices that are mostly interesting, and Hans doesn't have nearly the problem with deciding to pick one player to melee down.

Also, oh god the selection of guns when playing Support! Now that guns can belong to more than one perk the nailgun actually has a purpose!.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Psion posted:

The medic SMG is a dosh trap option preventing you from buying a good weapon with that money. Same with the M4, despite the recent change.

speaking of dosh trap options

(AA12 + double barrel + medic pistol or medic shotgun depending on whether or not you take the capacity perk)

Good sir, you sound like a fun trap to me. If I want to ventilate a bunch of trash with high-projectile nails that now have massive penetration boosts AND an innate ricochet causing them to bounce around in tight spaces, then I loving will. :colbert: As long as you end up with the double-barrel as Support to stumble big dudes and equipping the supplier perk when you unlock it, I think you're doing it just about right.

Besides, its a weapon design that really made no sense from the start. I mean...ranged weapons on the zerker?

I will agree the medic SMG just doesn't feel all that great. Better than the pistol, yes, but that's a low bar. Might be better now that I have poison bullets but i haven't played since I got to level 15 on Medic. I feel it just needs a damage buff period as it sucks up too much ammo to take care of anything bigger than a clot or crawler.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Theta Zero posted:

I don't really like Support, it just doesn't have as much oomph as other classes and it can't as cleanly take out large zeds, but it's good as a, well, supporting class.

You want fast reloads if you're running the double barrel usually, since it doesn't benefit from increased ammo size. Otherwise increased mag size is the way to go. The nailgun isn't too hot, but the trenchgun works nice as a primary weapon. The Medic shotgun is like a bite-sized AA12, the new shotgun is like a combination of every weapon for Support (you can fire two shots immediately, it's magazine-based, and you only ever need to pump after two shots), and the M4 is really nice. Like, people hate on the M4 but it's really great. If you run the M4, I'd highly recommend swapping from tight choke to penetration since the M4 is pin-point as is. Looking at the numbers, the M4 has almost a two times tighter spread to begin with, tight choke is just overkill.

Your biggest threats are usually Husks and large zeds. Husks you can actually shotgun snipe their backpacks so they explode and you can solo Scrakes with some effort (the most effective is double-barrel blasting their head since it makes them stumble), but Fleshpounds is something you want help with. The best you can do to handle them is engage with two grenades and ammo dump into it, otherwise you want to let your Demo/Sharpshooter do the heavy lifting.

Actually I'd just take the increased reload on anything since so many of the Support weapons are reloaded one shell at a time. It buffs every weapon and means you throw shells into your shotgun at a million miles an hour while, as you said, extended mag doesn't make the double-barrel a triple-barrel shotgun and that thing is one of the most important pieces of Support equipment.

Like if you've got a team that just spits out damage you can set the AA12 aside and go with something kinda goofy, but the double barrel's ability to just sit a Scrake down (and give you time to reload) is a literal lifesaver.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Propaganda Hour posted:

Battlefield One has a 50% chance of putting me on an empty server or a server with 300+ ping every single time. To me it's crazier that there are matchmaking systems that actually work.

Is it still faster to close the game and restart it to get to the main menu in BF1 than it is to quit after a round is over?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

And it probably still runs Punkbuster too. For all the shade I've thrown on KF2, it never kicked me from every server after ten seconds nor forced me to buy the unlock packs to catch up to my friends when the problem finally went away.

On the other hand, when BF1 ran well, it loving ran well. Something about the screams of player rage when an entire team of goon defenders on Operations use their infinite lives to do nothing but bayonet charge into the attackers (rendering them un-revivable because the bayonet counts as a melee kill) and win that was utterly *sublime*. The Scrakes sadly don't ragetell and ragequit the same way when clowned by the double-barrel as real players do in similar situations.

Unfortunately my computer went from "runs the game perfectly fine despite the game SCREAMING about my hardware being out of date" to "simply doesn't even start" when the first additional map was released. I really do need to upgrade my machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Ape Agitator posted:

How about a Cajun Spice Injector for medic where if you kill the zed with it the tasty chunks will heal. Mmm cannibalism

For Firebug Ground Fire, I can hear the sound cue when I think it's working - a very brief roasting sound. I seem to get that on shots at their knees as well as sometimes shots just below their feet. Are there degrees of effectiveness or if I hear the roasting sound, I'm doing the best I can?

I've been trying to tap and create lily pads of flame for them to step on versus burning their shins and it feels more effective but I'm still unsure.

A syringe gun. If you fill a zed with enough Horzine Nanotech the zed swells up like a balloon and explodes upon death releasing a mini-medic grenade effect. Nearby zeds get poisoned, nearby players get healed. Effect is obviously relatively minor, but hilarious.