Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Ledgy posted:

Talking about music mods, I hope there'll be some kind of custom music integration.

KF1 was one of the first games on Steam that supported Steam Workshop and we're going to support it for KF2. We're going to try to have it working by the time we do the full release of the game so people will be able to put their mutators, custom music and community maps/weapons/characters up on Workshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

NT Plus posted:

Sooooo... any chance that this might be released at midnight? I know, early access and all, but it'd be sweet to mash some zeds with absolutely no regard for having to wake up at 7 in the following morning for work. :shepicide:

No, we're not doing a midnight release.

I've got a really important game of Apocalypse World tonight and let's just pretend that's the reason, before anyone asks "why not?"

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Gromit posted:

We're less than 20 hours out from SEA, and there's been word on the street that Australia (and others) may get a censored version for local release. Obviously this means I'll have to get a US goon to buy for me, but surely this close to SEA Tripwire would know if they have to have a cut version available or not?

From the store page for KF2 :

NOTE: It is quite likely that there are some regions where we may be required to make cuts in the future, particularly in the gore system, to comply with local ratings boards, once we get the game into its full release status. Regions most likely at risk of this are Germany (via USK) and Australia (via OFLC). Japan is another possibility (via CERO), but is an unknown quantity to us. To be quite clear: this means that, if you are buying from a region which regularly forces cuts on to games for gore, you may get reduced gore when we go to the full release version of the game.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Have fun!

And yes, I just tried buying a copy on a beta account and you may need to restart steam to launch the game.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Broose posted:

For people in the beta, Steam store is telling me that I won't be geting KF1 or 2 becuase I already own them cause I was in the beta. I'm hesitant to pay $40, then try to deal with steam support if poo poo hits the fan. Is it safe?

We're working on this weirdness with Valve right now. Wish I could say that I'm totally surprised but I'm not.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Broose posted:

Also, can you make sure that the Digital Deluxe Edition gives the copy of KF1 as a gift so I can give it to maybe the one or two people in the world that don't already have it? Or was it how Tripwire wanted it to be?

Already sent off that e-mail to Valve. We absolutely intended for it to be a giftable copy.

Also, DDE Upgrade should be in the store page and DDE content should be showing up for people who own it. Restart Steam if you're still having issues!

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Weird issue with the DDE upgrade that we're getting ironed out. It's most likely that you already own KF1 and it doesn't want to let you buy a second copy. Valve is already aware.

Current player count is over 10,400!

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

GenghisTron posted:

Scratch that. Loads the menus fine, but won't connect to any games.

Any Tripwire dudes have any ideas?

You get an errors or does it just sit there and do nothing when you click on them?

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Skoll posted:

Questioner, are you guys ever gonna put back in the killed by messages? And the lobbies should show server names imo.

On our (rapidly expanding) list.

Right now I'm just focused on making sure people can buy/play the game.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

GenghisTron posted:

Just sits there and does nothing, like I didn't click the button. I'm assuming it's because it will only download half of what it says it needs.

Yeah, there's something crazy going on with your install. Assuming you've done all the usual "validate your game cache" stuff I'd suggest trying to connect a different server region in your Steam settings. It's entirely possible that one of the Steam servers for Dayton, Ohio or where ever the gently caress has an incomplete build. It's in the "downloads" section of your settings tab.

I haven't done tech support in a loooooong time so if that doesn't fix the issue hit up the support section of the Tripwire forums and they'll be much better equipped to help trouble shoot your problem. Sorry you're not playing already, friend!

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Peewi posted:

Are there any problems with having the game and the server installed at the same time?

I figured I'd host my own game, so I downloaded the KF2 server from the tools tab in Steam and after that KF2 kept crashing right after the startup logos. Then I validated the files and now Steam is redownloading 2.3GB.

I didn't even run run the dedicated server, just download it.

Yeah, I just became aware of this. The dedicated server is downloaded via SteamCMD, not from Steam. That dedicated server that shows up in your tools tab in Steam shouldn't be there. Uninstall that stuff and verify/re-download the base game. Sorry!

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
We're asking our partners to put up more servers. Right now we're at about twice as many players as we initially estimated. :banjo:

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Tamayachi posted:

I would imagine it's like the old HL style where you just type Connect and then the ip address in Console. I could be wrong.

So basically Connect 68.232.183.112:7777

Open 68.232.183.112:7777

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Holy crap, guys. I'm so happy that people are enjoying the game.

20,000+ players worth of servers should be coming online over the next couple of hours and that will hopefully make it easier to find a game. In the mean time, thanks for hanging in there!

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Skoll posted:

Questioner86 and Turnways, are you guys going to be taking feedback for the game here or does it have to be posted via Steam or TWI forums? Just curious because I feel a lot of good tuning suggestions would originate here since most goons are basement dwellers who do nothing but play video games or Magic the Gathering all day.

I read all the posts and feedback in this thread and then I compile them into a document that I take to the daily live team meetings and we all put them up on the big screen and laugh at all the dumb virgins who think they know about games.

No, but really. We read all of this poo poo and we take it to heart but we've got a list as long as your arm at this point so don't take it personally when we don't make the thing you want into video game magic because we were busy trying to get the game working on people's laptops or whatever.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Bardeh posted:

Welp, bought it and it's almost impossible to get into a server. Has anyone else been finding that filtering by 'not full' isn't working?

We're working on improving this. The simple explanation is that the servers are filling up so fast that a server that was "not full" when you started your query is filling up by the time you get the results. We're rolling out tons of servers and working on improving our server query to help improve this.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Yes, I'm reading all the posts in the thread but it's close to impossible for us to be busier than we currently are at the moment so expect my posting rate to drop through the floor. You're still all magical internet goon friends in my eyes, rest assured I haven't abandoned you.

dogstile posted:

Questioner, here's a question i'm not sure you get a lot.

How does anyone do any form of automated testing on video games? Do you guys just playtest in between writing test cases or is there way more to it and i'm being dumb?

I get that question approximately every 6 hours via Linkedin. I AM VERY HAPPY WITH OUR CURRENT AUTOMATION SUITES AND TESTING METHODOLOGY, THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST! :downsgun:

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Geight posted:

Questioner if you could move this up to the top of your massive list of features to work on it'd be much appreciated.

I would but we have a strict policy to keep Killing Floor grounded firmly in the realm of fiction and Robo-Maggie murdering the under class and the immigrants sounds way too plausible.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
It's kinda interesting watching people call each other retard baby shits over the clot grab. Interesting and also loving dumb.

We don't even agree on it internally at Tripwire (Shocking revelation: we are not a game design hive mind) but if you're ever going to try out a mechanic early access is the place to do it. If it loving sucks we can always change it or make it an option or whatever. I'm just glad that something solves the problem in KF1 of not being able to move and not knowing that you're grabbed by a clot until a Fleshpound has expanded your anus.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Fina posted:

I was noticing the same issue, especially with Gorefasts which always seemed to survive point blank shotgun blasts to the face.

Yeah, this is a huge bug fix for support players and you should see the difference during game play.

Sit tight and we'll start letting you know what's coming next for KF2 just as soon as we're able. It's been a VERY busy week for us here at TWI.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

UltraVariant posted:

So apparently, if I don't enter in the password in console, I don't get the pop-up that lets me enter it anymore, it will just refuse to connect me. What's the format with the password?

Thanks for this. Got the bug into our bug tracker.

The command to bypass this would be:

open 192.168.0.1?password=abc

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
We've heard you all loud and clear on the reload canceling to iron sight and throw grenades (and to be perfectly honest it was something that the internal test team requested before the beta was released) but, without boring you with details, making that change in the weapons is very risky and isn't something we can do in the couple of days we've had to work since the game was released. It's a "when you gently caress this up you can't shoot/reload" kind of thing so we need to take our time and make sure we don't totally bork the weapons in making this change.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Patch Notes 1010:

Added the ability to cancel shotgun reloads by using iron sights.
Added the ability to cancel weapon reloads by throwing a grenade.

Patch Notes 1011:

Added the ability to fire shotguns

Patch Notes 1012:

Added the ability to throw more than one grenade

Patch Notes 1013:

Added the ability to reload shotguns

Patch Notes 1014:

Removed the ability to cancel shotgun reloads by using iron sights.
Removed the ability to cancel weapon reloads by throwing a grenade.

:smithicide:

Questioner86 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 29, 2015

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Please don't ruin my career by quoting me all over the internet and going "TWI CONFIRMED IT!"

It's on the list. We know people want it. I'll let you know when we can squeeze it in because it's been driving me nuts forever.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Do custom servers just not give XP now or what?

I'm preparing myself for a lot of flack here but I'll give you all the scoop. Paraphrasing myself here from elsewhere.

Yes, mutators aren't yet officially supported and there is no mutator white list. The custom servers that have been running up until this point aren't even really mutators, they're run through server actor commands in the admin tools and totally open to exploitation.

Since we have no way of knowing what the custom servers are doing (you might be running a mutator that makes clots give 1,000 XP each, for example) we're unranking custom servers for now. You're still welcome to play and have fun on whatever creation someone in the community comes up with, your progression just won't save.

There will be a more robust solution implemented once we start supporting mutators in the SDK. With the hacky way mutators are being run right now there's just no way to verify what they're doing and differentiate from Awesome Mutators That Are Lots Of Fun from Bullshit Servers That You Join And Instantly Gain 100 Levels (which would suck to join if you didn't know that was going to happen).

If anyone is familiar with how KF1 worked mutators were reviewed and ones that weren't detrimental to the play experience or exploitable got white listed and could be run on ranked servers. This could include everything up to an including custom game modes. We're pretty chill when it comes to custom game modes but this is one of the major potential security holes we closed with this patch and we'll try and get a better solution for mutators and custom code content as soon as we can.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
There's no map white list or black list. All maps are legit for earning XP. Custom maps won't un-rank a server so get out there and try new stuff. I know there's some really awesome stuff being worked on right now by some of the big community mappers from KF1.

It's just custom game modes (like 100 player servers) that are unranked right now.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Preview of our first early access content update for KF2, Manor.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/232090/announcements/detail/231151632201345579

We know people are hungry for info on what we're working on so here's your first taste.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
:negative:

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Go for it. Feedback is great for balancing and redesigning perks and perk abilities. Way more designers read the official forums than this thread so it can't do anything but help get more visibility.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Everyone SAYS they want FotNS style poo poo with exploding heads and You wa Shock playing in the background but I have a strong belief that if you're going to go that route you need to go whole hog and have welded doors just explode when you run up to them like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e_yyMn1Pt4

If anyone can find the clip of a table just exploding for no loving reason when Kenshiro gets up after taking a nap I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Cheers, big ears!

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Happens all the time during the trader. The bullets are actually deducted from your max ammo too, which is annoying.

Also another bug: sometimes my character will move at normal speed during Zed time. I have no idea if there's a certain action that triggers it since I can never replicate it, just seems to happen randomly.

There's a "localized ZED time" rule in place where if there's no baddies around you during ZED time it doesn't bother slowing you down because it sucks being in slo-mo when there's nothing around to kill. If it's happening when there's a ZED trying to eat your face, yeah, it's a bug.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Knifegrab posted:

THis seems weird, because like, if I am away from enemies myself, but down a corrider my friend is closer to enemies, and I look at him, won't he be moving in slow motion while I am the flash?

It's more complicated than I explained it so the short answer here is "No, it shouldn't do that."

Really, it just exists for that lovely situation in KF1 when you're off by yourself, a high level commando gets a 6x ZED time chain and you're off by yourself with no enemies in sight getting angry.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Update should be live! Have fun!

And don't fret, game balance is a big priority for future updates, that medic ability was just straight up bugged.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Yeah, there's a lot of melee refinement going on here at the offices and one of the reasons is that blocking and parrying should be a major tool in the Berserkers toolbox. Hopefully we can get to a point where all of the Berserker weapons have a niche that supports the perk.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Section Z posted:

Can we get any insight into why it seems that zed heads are extra resistant to Knife M1 swings?

Like, 9mm is 15 damage, and apparently the knife is 15 damage. On hard it takes seven 9mm bullets or M1 knife swings to the body to kill a clot. Then it takes two 9mm to the head to kill them, and apparently (many cheats enabled spawned clots later) four M1 knife swings to the head. Same amount of swings to kill by hitting anywhere on the limbs or body, but twice as many swings to kill with headshots :confused:

It's just one of those little things I'm curious about. Considering you can only ever notice it with knife M1s. M2 swings to the face will still one shot a clot dead just fine as ever, which is in line with the damage numbers dug up by the internet.

Don't quote me on this because I didn't code the melee system but my guess is that is has to do with how damage is calculated with melee attacks that have wide arcs.

My understanding is that different melee swings, achieved by moving in different directions while attacking, have slightly different attributes. A horizontal slash capable of hitting 4 clots standing in a row does less damage than an overhead strike. Also, I'm pretty sure those horizontal strikes deal more damage at the center point than they do around the edges. Depending on where the hit connects in the swing and what swing is being performed damage would vary wildly.

Again, not 100% sure on that. It's worth double checking while we're fussing around with melee, tho.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Given infinite time and money I know I'd LOVE to have a unique-but-totally-mechanically-identical sidearm for each perk. If nothing else but to see people argue because we didn't make their favorite hi-capacity 9mm pistol special snowflake enough in the game by giving it the ability to zoom in further and reload 20% faster because :bustem:

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Psion posted:

I have a list of models most likely to generate rage right here :getin:

Sadly, the limiting factor here isn't the lack of cool guns to choose from.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there a chance that medic grenades will stack again, albeit at a slower rate? I think they over-nerfed them in the current patch. Sometimes you just need to throw out all your medic nades at once, and careful usage of that SHOULD provide a higher heal/armor restoration rate than just having one nade out. It's also balanced by the existence of Sirens. Getting 5 nades at a time nuked by a Siren that would have otherwised completely healed your team and let them tank 2xFP is a pretty good risk/reward.

There's a lot of perk balance talk going on. We'll figure out something. I mean, it might not be something that makes you happy but I can say with absolute certainty that it will be something.

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature

Section Z posted:

Can we get any insight into why it seems that zed heads are extra resistant to Knife M1 swings?

Like, 9mm is 15 damage, and apparently the knife is 15 damage. On hard it takes seven 9mm bullets or M1 knife swings to the body to kill a clot. Then it takes two 9mm to the head to kill them, and apparently (many cheats enabled spawned clots later) four M1 knife swings to the head. Same amount of swings to kill by hitting anywhere on the limbs or body, but twice as many swings to kill with headshots :confused:

It's just one of those little things I'm curious about. Considering you can only ever notice it with knife M1s. M2 swings to the face will still one shot a clot dead just fine as ever, which is in line with the damage numbers dug up by the internet.

Figured out what bug was causing this the other day, thanks to you bringing it up. Now I can convince Alan Wilson that wasting time on the SA forums during work hours somehow benefits the company, so thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Questioner86
Feb 8, 2006
Gaming Freak Of Nature
Best part about the Flex stuff? You can just turn it off in the options menu.

Just like popping your game up to 4k resolution turning on high end graphics features is gonna cause a frame rate hit. Some people love putting everything on ultra settings on their Uber Machine, so they get the option. If you're happier with 120+ frame rate to match your monitor's refresh setting then you can just turn off all the advanced gore Flex stuff and run the game as-is. Easy peasy.