Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

You probably want the no enemy agent action mod and the 10% movement speed to everyone in their own territory mod if it's frustrating you on those fronts.

He was playing Chaos. The mod also affects AI. Chaos has no land of it's own. Therefore he'd literally have no chance with the mod enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can someone explain heroes to me? I thought I'd be able to use them to create and lead new armies but they don't have a recruit option anywhere. Are they only agents? If so how do I field new armies?

Moreover, how are they deployed in the first place? I see the option to do si but it only gives me one task per hero, when I see a whole list on the sidebar. Do they unlock over time?

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 2, 2016

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
How the gently caress do you confederate in this game? I can't seem to get anyone to confederate in any circumstances.

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!

Gonkish posted:

As evidence of one of the most annoying problems the game has:

I was finishing up my Chaos campaign. I've got Kholek and Sigvald chasing down Karl Franz, because his army is the last vestige of the Empire and thus the last thing I need to murder the gently caress out of to win the game. Karl proceeds to kite both of my armies across the loving continent. I defeated him (and Gelt) in Bretonnia. Karl managed to slip away... and just kept running JUST OUT OF loving RANGE of either of my armies for a good dozen or so turns. I swear to gently caress, EVERY SINGLE TURN he was JUST TWO loving PIXELS away from my army. EVERY. TIME. The AI's love of that poo poo, combined with my agents' love of spectacularly failing time and time again no matter what meant that when, FINALLY, by the blessing of Grampa Nurgle, I got my Chaos Sorcerer to finally loving not gently caress up and thus successfully block Karl's army (thereby giving me a fleeting moment of hope that I might actually catch him for once) meant that watching Kholek smash him into a billion loving pieces and then piss on his corpse was the greatest thing ever. Did I mention I caught him OUTSIDE OF CASTLE DRAKENHOF? Yeah. I caught him outside of Drakenhof, when the chase started in Bretonnia somewhere. I CHASED HIS rear end ACROSS THE MAP and only caught him due to loving RNG luck.

But honestly, gently caress chasing down AI armies. You will never catch them until your agents finally decide to be competent, and that's pure loving RNG (which is also completely stacked against you). gently caress the AI getting SLIIIIGHTLY more movement range than you, gently caress their agents being 100% super ninja jesus murderers while your are ALWAYS utter poo poo, and gently caress you Karl Franz just take your death like a loving man you worthless poo poo. Jesus.

Yeah, that sounds like the end of my Chaos campaign as well. There should be a severe down-side to just endlessly retreating like that. I mean it's not like you have a coherent force when you are being crushed over and over again.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

terrorist ambulance posted:

How the gently caress do you confederate in this game? I can't seem to get anyone to confederate in any circumstances.

Control about 2-3x as much territory as them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Deified Data posted:

Can someone explain heroes to me? I thought I'd be able to use them to create and lead new armies but they don't have a recruit option anywhere. Are they only agents? If so how do I field new armies?

Moreover, how are they deployed in the first place? I see the option to do si but it only gives me one task per hero, when I see a whole list on the sidebar. Do they unlock over time?

You can recruit Lords and Agents/Heroes out of settlements. Only Lords can recruit army units, but both act as tough single units on the battlefield.

e: Agents need a special building to recruit, Lords don't.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Heroes are agents, they can deploy to buff a province or you can target enemies to assassinate other heroes and lords or you can target settlements. You can create new armies by recruiting lords, it's the icon next to the recruit hero icon on a province.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Don't forget that you can add heroes to stacks and they are top tier fighters that can take armies by themselves or buff your army to new heights.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

Kaza42 posted:

But the Empire doesn't get them. I'm sure they'll be added soon enough, since the Lore's already there. We're only missing Shadow, Beasts and Life of the Battle Magic lores, right?
Fire
Death
Life
Beasts
Metal
Heavens
Shadow
Light

This is a few pages back but http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War:_WARHAMMER_Future_Content_Blog specifically mentions that there will be at least three new lores of magic as free DLC.

In general, I'm really excited about the future free and paid DLC for this game, the only weak thing really is heroes as free DLC but since they're going to be free, its no big deal.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
After you sack a city how long until you can go back and raze it?

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Korgan posted:

Yeah just checked that, I thought maybe because the original boss who completed the mission didn't get a casting slot it didn't award it for whatever reason, so reloaded and farted around until Azhag had enough boys to give it a go. Nope, same thing happened, got the award message, no Skull Wand of Kaloth. :(

So it looks like I'm not receiving half my mission reward items for whatever reason. Got two missions, one to kill a dwarf agent and one to use an agent against the dwarfs, completed both of them by assassinating the dwarf agent. Only got one magic item despite claiming I got two. I'm just bugged I guess. :(

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

thehandtruck posted:

After you sack a city how long until you can go back and raze it?

You can do it the very next turn.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

WarpedLichen posted:

You can do it the very next turn.

I see, so as VC is it worth it to occupy Zhufbar?

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Dongattack posted:

Daaaaaaaamn, did my first game as the Greenskins, then a VC one and now i'm trying Dwarves. Whomever labeled dwarves as the "easy" start in the game should be forced to face a full Grimgor Ironhide stack and a Waaaagh on turn 14, then be made to sit in the corner and reflect.

Same except it was Grimgor with 2 full stacks on turn 10. When I saw them I just restarted - while it was funny for a few seconds I got to turn 7-8 in my second attempt and just quit. Kind of a waste of time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

thehandtruck posted:

If you don't need a stack anywhere else, it's actually optimal to sit at war with somebody and continually sack the same settlement(s) because it's free XP for your lords/heroes and a pittance of gold per turn. When I play VC I like to go to war with an Empire faction early while they all hate each other so they won't get pissed that I'm at war with one of them and just kick them while they're down over and over to power up Mannfred and a Vampire Lord or two.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
With agents/captains/lords, magic, quick route & regroup this game absolutely calls for epic, multi-stack battles that the game / AI cannot provide. It's so frustrating, there's so much potential unrealized

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It helps if they're losing a war (with someone else).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Gonkish posted:

As evidence of one of the most annoying problems the game has:

I was finishing up my Chaos campaign. I've got Kholek and Sigvald chasing down Karl Franz, because his army is the last vestige of the Empire and thus the last thing I need to murder the gently caress out of to win the game. Karl proceeds to kite both of my armies across the loving continent. I defeated him (and Gelt) in Bretonnia. Karl managed to slip away... and just kept running JUST OUT OF loving RANGE of either of my armies for a good dozen or so turns. I swear to gently caress, EVERY SINGLE TURN he was JUST TWO loving PIXELS away from my army. EVERY. TIME. The AI's love of that poo poo, combined with my agents' love of spectacularly failing time and time again no matter what meant that when, FINALLY, by the blessing of Grampa Nurgle, I got my Chaos Sorcerer to finally loving not gently caress up and thus successfully block Karl's army (thereby giving me a fleeting moment of hope that I might actually catch him for once) meant that watching Kholek smash him into a billion loving pieces and then piss on his corpse was the greatest thing ever. Did I mention I caught him OUTSIDE OF CASTLE DRAKENHOF? Yeah. I caught him outside of Drakenhof, when the chase started in Bretonnia somewhere. I CHASED HIS rear end ACROSS THE MAP and only caught him due to loving RNG luck.

But honestly, gently caress chasing down AI armies. You will never catch them until your agents finally decide to be competent, and that's pure loving RNG (which is also completely stacked against you). gently caress the AI getting SLIIIIGHTLY more movement range than you, gently caress their agents being 100% super ninja jesus murderers while your are ALWAYS utter poo poo, and gently caress you Karl Franz just take your death like a loving man you worthless poo poo. Jesus.
Ahahahahaha that's even better than my wizard having to chase a norscan army across the entire north just to do one of Sigvald's quests.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Xae posted:

Control about 2-3x as much territory as them.

Factions I'm friendly with don't want to confederate, factions that are about to get destroyed decline it, factions that I outnumber 10:1 turn it down. I must be missing something.

Also, the gaze spells, and specifically the light wizard's one, are hilarious in the right circumstances. If you flank with your light wizard and just spam the light bolt spell at close range you can rack up hundreds of kills with him

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ammanas posted:

With agents/captains/lords, magic, quick route & regroup this game absolutely calls for epic, multi-stack battles that the game / AI cannot provide. It's so frustrating, there's so much potential unrealized

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. The Chaos Invasion and the Orc WAAAAGH mechanic are tailor made to provide 40v40+ battles on the regular.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Factions I'm friendly with don't want to confederate, factions that are about to get destroyed decline it, factions that I outnumber 10:1 turn it down. I must be missing something.

Also, the gaze spells, and specifically the light wizard's one, are hilarious in the right circumstances. If you flank with your light wizard and just spam the light bolt spell at close range you can rack up hundreds of kills with him

I think they have to be pretty friendly to you to want to do it. In my experience you once Chaos comes in and your relations go over +100 they'll confederate easily.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Re Confederation:
You need to build up to it, make NA pacts and alliances, give gifts. You also need to be rich and powerful as poo poo. It helps if you have similar enemies. I believe there's also a cooling-off period, you need to wait a few turns before you can confederate again. This is from playing as the dwarfs, anyway. I never confederated with an enemy.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I've been confederating left and right as The Empire in my current game, the way to do it is reasonably simple;

Make treaties whenever possible. Doesn't matter what they are (unless they would drag you into something troublesome), just sign them.
Do not make treaties with your confederation target's enemies (though you can typically get away with just a trade agreement or NAP).
They like when you're at war with their enemies, but it's only a small relations improvement - what they really like is when you actually go fight their enemies.
Give it some time, they won't confederate two turns after you sign a trade pact or something. It'll take awhile for the relations to build up.
Be bigger, stronger, and richer.
People get a lot quicker to confederate once Chaos shows up, so you'll probably go from one or maybe two beforehand to half your race afterward, if you play your cards right.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Kanos posted:

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. The Chaos Invasion and the Orc WAAAAGH mechanic are tailor made to provide 40v40+ battles on the regular.

I've had ONE in a 3vs1 battle I had no chance to win. Every waagh spends it's time losing men and fleeing my forces

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Don't Confederate for a small/low-value territory though. You get -8 public order for 10(?) turns, plus a huge diplomatic penalty. Make sure what you're getting is worth it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I just want to say that the checkerboard squares formation thing has been great as Empire. I changed it a little to have 3 front infantry squares with 2x units of infantry each right next to each other (so 3x pairs of infantry blocks as I found this limits the chances of one of your squares getting bum rushed and routing), with cannon and handgunners 1 square behind shooting at angles into the big gaps. Works really well, try it as Dwarves or Humans.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Playing as dwarfs on hard after my first campaign of Empire on Normal and man what a great nailbiter. I was busy with the Orcs down south when Mannfred decided to invade up north, I got a reinforcing army up near Zhulfbar but it got Underway intercepted by Heinrich Kemmler who was besieging the city. 1500+ troops on his end, mainly skeletons and zombies but also bats and dogs, and on mine, 3 units of quarrelers and 3 of warriors plus a dwarf lord. I was losing slowly until I sicced my lord on Kemmler when he foolishly joined the fight. Killed Kemmler pretty fast but his army kept fighting. Ended with Kemmler dead, most of my men dead, all of Kemmler's troops disintegrated, and my lord with 9/10 of his health remaining. Guy hardly broke a sweat.

madmac posted:

What the other guy said, but just because I feel like it I'll give you an Empire effort post.
:words:

Good effortpost but a couple things:

Spearmen with shields aren't bad against infantry. In my experience they're basically slightly more defensive swordsmen with no charge bonus. I think they're more anti-cavalry than anti-large, but they're fine defending against enemy mans.

Crossbowmen are great against enemy ranged infantry and they murder enemy ranged cavalry. You sort of hit this when describing how to use ranged cavalry but it's important to emphasize considering how otherwise annoying enemy ranged cavalry can be. Horses/wolves/giant spiders/etc are big fat targets and none of them have heavy armor if they're carrying ranged.

The Lone Badger posted:

Don't Confederate for a small/low-value territory though. You get -8 public order for 10(?) turns, plus a huge diplomatic penalty. Make sure what you're getting is worth it.

It's either 4 or 6 turns but yeah, don't do it for small stuff, that penalty really hurts especially once ambient chaos corruption starts hitting.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 2, 2016

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am sad this game has the same problem in all TW games, chiefly that the enemy army doesn't play by the same rules on the campaign map and will always be able to outdistance yours as you chase it around the loving map, your army never getting to within the right zone of control to attack it. I just chased a Chaos army that I destroyed in battle across two provinces only for it to regain units while mine suffered attrition. :argh:

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

I am sad this game has the same problem in all TW games, chiefly that the enemy army doesn't play by the same rules on the campaign map and will always be able to outdistance yours as you chase it around the loving map, your army never getting to within the right zone of control to attack it. I just chased a Chaos army that I destroyed in battle across two provinces only for it to regain units while mine suffered attrition. :argh:

Use ambush and the Block Army agent ability.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

Ahahahahaha that's even better than my wizard having to chase a norscan army across the entire north just to do one of Sigvald's quests.

I think the thing about the whole chasing the AI thing that makes it so frustrating is the AI knows the exact limits of your movement range and always parks just one step beyond it. It's not just that you can't reach them, but that they're rubbing your nose in it.

They should just make it so that you're allowed to attack in forced march stance, but you start the battle with all your units fatigued.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gonkish posted:

gently caress the AI getting SLIIIIGHTLY more movement range than you

The AI running away all the time is annoying, but I don't think they get more movement range than you. If movement is equal and they're just out of range, they'll stay just out of range as long as they move as far away from you as possible each turn. I've never noticed them actually gaining ground on my armies, so without evidence to the contrary, I'm assuming it's equal. If they are gaining ground, it's possible they have more +campaign movement modifiers than you. Other than the obvious general skill, there are several follower characters that boost campaign movement, possibly items too although I don't recall running into any so far.

thehandtruck posted:

As VC, you can't occupy Zhufbar. You can only occupy human and other undead settlements. Zhufbar is a Dwarven town, so you can only sack or raise it, unless you're running the occupy anywhere mod.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 2, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
A single lord of lands long defeated is seiging one of my towns. His stack is just him, the lord. How can one person seige a big town?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

madmac posted:

Steam Tanks

Kills everything, never dies.

Since turn 100 in my Empire campaign, I haven't used artillery other than steam tanks. Its main gun is more powerful and accurate than any ordinary artillery piece, it's faster than some cavalry, and it's unstoppable and unbreaking in close combat with its steam gun and ram.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wafflecopper posted:

The AI running away all the time is annoying, but I don't think they get more movement range than you. If movement is equal and they're just out of range, they'll stay just out of range as long as they move as far away from you as possible each turn. I've never noticed them actually gaining ground on my armies, so without evidence to the contrary, I'm assuming it's equal. If they are gaining ground, it's possible they have more +campaign movement modifiers than you. Other than the obvious general skill, there are several follower characters that boost campaign movement, possibly items too though I don't recall running into any so far.

The AI doesn't get any more range than players, but they almost always use march stance when they aren't attacking - since you can't attack in march stance yourself, it means that if they don't want to fight you, they will always be able to outrun you because they can march and you can't. If you switch to march stance yourself you can see that you could easily outpace them - not that it would do any good since you'd still have to wait another turn to attack (at which point they'll have moved out of range again no matter where you position your army).

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The AI doesn't get any more range than players, but they almost always use march stance when they aren't attacking - since you can't attack in march stance yourself, it means that if they don't want to fight you, they will always be able to outrun you because they can march and you can't. If you switch to march stance yourself you can see that you could easily outpace them - not that it would do any good since you'd still have to wait another turn to attack (at which point they'll have moved out of range again no matter where you position your army).

Yeah what I said is true irrespective of march stance which is why I didn't mention it

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

rockopete posted:

Use ambush and the Block Army agent ability.

I actually killed Archaeon with an ambush, then one of the other hordes was the one I defeated and ended up yakety saxing around the map with. I might re-roll, I played way too passive the first 20-30 turns and now the Chaos Waste armies are taking up every bit of my attention.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is it normal that you can't manually match the results of an auto-resolve? Like I can't even win a fight manually but the auto-resolve gives me a decisive victory every time. I can't use it because it feels like cheating.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
it goes both ways; i think it really overvalues the skill level of a general, for one thing.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Stack, ascetic, raise.

Unit, aesthetic, RAZE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
As the Greenskins, what do you do against a Dwarf army with tons of Quarrelers and a Grudge Thrower? I have a full stack, 5 units of Night Goblin Archers, I've had time to upgrade half my infantry to Big 'Uns. My initial plan was to start by killing their lord and breaking their morale, but my units obey and attack who I tell them to about 50% of the time (and refuse to touch the lord, period). Some are bogged down in enemy infantry but I've never seen an enemy have trouble extracting themselves from a cluster when they want to leave. What am I missing?

• Locked thread