Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Hopefully MERS is gone, before I come back on the 22nd...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
How long until: "we apologize but, due to MERS virus we are not accepting middle easterners at the moment."

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
You have a better chance of being hit and killed by a car than actually catching MERS.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Can I make MERS pay me money if I get sick?

Well if you get MERS and take one for the team, we can find out? :agesilaus:

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
It turns out that I am accidentally overstaying my tourist visa whilst here (90 days) by a few days. Would I have any trouble by doing a visa run to Japan for a few days and nights and then return for about 30 days or so until I leave again?

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Love Stole the Day posted:

You'll be in trouble because of this, unless the extra days were over a weekend or something. Probably you'll get told to go visit the side office and then the Immigration Officers will ask you some questions about it and check to make sure you're not a criminal or anything. From there, I don't know what will happen. It could be anywhere from "okay goodbye" to "you'll have to sit in a jail cell for a few days while we figure out what to do with you" depending on the circumstances.

Yes, but with what I know, they will stamp the passport saying that I had left before the 90 days are up. Then re-stamp the passport with some new date that I must leave by when I return. Otherwise yes, I'll probably need to pay a fine or sit in a jail cell.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Rules are suggestions: Korea edition

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
I made a post a few pages about a visa-run to Japan. Anyway, I'm back here with another 90 days added to the passport.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

DontAskKant posted:

I'm assuming that was a tourist visa run?

I'm looking for a working visa run in the next two weeks. Right now it's a toss up of Osaka and Fukuoka.

Yes, a tourist visa run.

The only trouble I had was coming back to Korea from Japan where at the airport the person behind the counter demanded to see a receipt that I am returning to Australia. Other than that no issues in Korea.

Edit: I also stayed in Japan for a few days.

Raphisonfire fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 2, 2015

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
The only song that you all need is Itaewon Freedom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N8c1t1QTDI

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Does anyone know if the 복분자 (black raspberry wine) variations being sold at this time are any good? i.e. blueberry, mulberry, etc.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Happy Chuseok.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Is Hwayo Soju any good or still too expensive?

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
I once saw a no trumpets sign in Busan. I have a photo if you want that.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

AmbientParadox posted:

Goon-Favorite Showry chugs a bottle of soju

That look on her face at the 6 minute mark tho

She spits half of the flavoured soju on his crotch... Also did she become popular so quickly from the facebook videos or what?

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Which is your favourite Hello! Ryan emoticon?

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
I liked The party at Haeundae in Busan. Ashley's was okay for a cheap price. You could always go to Jungsik (정식당) if you just want to spend some money.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

EvilElmo posted:

So mostly my options for fine dining are European?

You're better off going to Japan.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

might be wrong posted:

Just got my TEFL cert, started reading this thread for inspiration and now I'm depressed.

You're better off going to Japan.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Start a goon run youtube channel called "drink your soju", if you don't want to teach English.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
What are you guys working as, if you don't mind sharing?

The closest thing I got to a job outside of ESL was working as a trader for an investment banking firm in Busan. The only catch was the visa (I was on a tourist one)

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

superm0nk posted:

Reminder that we do have a food map here: http://tinyurl.com/goonfood

It's largely concentrated in Seoul, but there are some in Gyeonggi-do and a few from our resident Jeju goon. If you have anything to add for your neighborhood, feel free. I'd say the less traveled the neighborhood, the lower the bar for what should be added (though we probably don't really need to know where the BBQ Chicken is in your neighborhood).

Whoever is tagging 보신탕 restaurants though...

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

E_P posted:

Bibimbap without rice? At that point youre just eating a very very poorly made omelette.

You might as well just eat a salad.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

lostleaf posted:

Any goon recommendation for busan Korean food? The goon guide doesn't have any places listed in Busan.

Some busan korean food that I had there was mil-myeon (밀면) in Nampo dong, Dwaeji gukbap (돼지국밥, it can be found every where), and Dongnae Pajeon (동래파전).

For Western food, You will find that the more trendy and new places are in Seomyun. The touristy places are in the Gwangalli + Haeundae + Centum City area. The non-touristy places are in Nampo-dong.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Koramei posted:

from a couple of weeks back but wait can you elaborate on Suwon? I'm staying there/ Osan for a month next year and all I'd heard about it is how boring it is.

They were bored to death in Suwon.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

TreFitty posted:

Had some girl move to my old town a few years ago and she was amazed with how safe it was within her first two weeks. I wish it were. I told her a few of said stories and she never talked to me again, lol. She was a HUGE K pop and K drama fan (which is why she was there) and annoyed me...probably why I told her the stories.

Korea is all rainbows, magic, and oppa's... Didn't you get the memo?

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

I mean... I really don't meet than many kpop fans among the incoming teachers.

Every other fellow foreigner I ever met in Korea... Was interested in K-pop or K-drama.

Employers for schools need to start adding TOPIK scores as a requirement so you get rid of 95% koreaboo applicants.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Wait, is the chorus from Cheer Up actually supposed to be "Cheer up?" Cause if so, holy christ the pronunciation is wretched even by kpop standards, to the point where I assumed it must be Korean and the English title is never spoken.

I switched tabs from the youtube video with captions(?) and heard "shut up" "shut up"

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Jeoh posted:

I don't remember who the goon was who posted that excellent list of rock music back in the day, but Jambinai just released their latest album and it's pretty awesome.

They Keep Silence

They released a youtube video as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB1k7CDVWVk

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Whizbang posted:

At the Gyeongnam Teacher Training last year the dumb bitch in charge picked a kid who had been in the country for like 3 weeks to give an hour long presentation about Life in Korea and he spent half of it going on and on about Mom's Touch.

Mom's Touch is love. Mom's Touch is life.

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

Japan is Korea run by grandparents. The boring kind, not the angry cutting in line kind.

With a little bit of mom's touch

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Are the ajummas in Jongmyo Park any good for the Bacchus? :allears:

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
I will join Kakao as well with an invite to the chat please... Kakao id: rafaelaragon

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

E_P posted:

At least Max and OB can go with a meal. How can you drink expired rice milk with some choice cuts of 먹살? You cannot because it tastes bad and it gives you a stomachache and only a nerd would drink it.

Makgeolli is perfect for bindaetteok :agesilaus:

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Can I be added back to the kakao chat please?

ID: rafaelaragon

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009
Is there somewhere online that does flower delivers in Busan on valentines day?