Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

pmchem posted:

what database of play/game data are you using? is it free? if you're using python based ML tools I'd be interested in seeing your source sometime. fun stuff.

Stat pulls were done using nfldb on a pythonxy install (though I now recommend Anaconda to others), and were cleaned/consolidated there.

Modeling and additional data wrangling was done in R, using the mgcv package for GAMs, the randomForest package for random forest models, and LearnBayes for calculating posterior distributions for individual players (compared to league-average).

I'll release most of the Python and R scipts once I actually getting around to writing things up for you folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I literally don't understand what you're even talking about

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I like when the football mans score the touchdowns and also when the defense guys do exciting things

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Speaking of defense guys, do you folks like the Texans D/ST or the Bengals D/ST this week? Texans look like they've got a higher ceiling, while the Bengals look to me like they'd be more reliable. Fantasy Pros has the Bengals ranked higher, too, but ESPN's projections (lol I know) have the Texans and Bengals tied on expected points.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Spoeank posted:

Damning with faint praise.

But good luck Double Z to rise up that depth chart with your 3.5 Y/A. Luckily you'll be on the Detroit Lions and their backfield situation isn't messy at all!

zach zenner #1 overall pick 2017

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I just realized I have now won my primary cash league three years in a row. All twelve team leagues, for that matter.

If fantasy football wasn't mostly random luck I'd be real loving smug, y'all.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Can't believe I'm gonna win my league when the only players still on my roster that I drafted are Newton, Marshall, and Gronk.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Tannyhills against NE or Carr Against KC in my championship game.

Kelce vs Oakland or Cobb vs Vikings for my Flex position.

WR PPR league

:smith:

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Dexo posted:

Tannyhills against NE or Carr Against KC in my championship game.

Kelce vs Oakland or Cobb vs Vikings for my Flex position.

WR PPR league

:smith:

Carr certainly

Kelce maybe?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Woodhead, L. Miller or Cameron Artis-Payne?

Normally I'd play Miller or Woodhead over C-AP. But with Whitaker out C-AP looks to get a bigger workload PLUS I don't like Woodhead (@Denver) or Miller (@NE) matchups.

And defense. Redskins @ Dallas or Colts @ Tennessee. I have the Redskins in now... figure that one might be a coin flip.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Playing week 17 is loving garbage. Even more loving garbage with 4k on the line. Im getting drunk

that being said Russ or Bort? I have Russ in right now

actually gently caress it Ill sink with Bort. I know he wont get randomly taken out. He has weapons. all aboard bitch

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 3, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Jesus Christ, $4000 with a Week 17 championship? Yeah that calls for alcohol

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Its a best record overall. Im tied with the other 11-5 guy and have the tiebreaker over him but he has a cupcake today while im up against Ben/Antonio.

My last year in the league way too loving expensive and stressful

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BonoMan posted:

Jesus Christ, $4000 with a Week 17 championship? Yeah that calls for alcohol

Yeah. I'm up for 1000 with a 2 week championship.

poo poo loving sucks. I'm not even gonna watch any games or Fantasy besides the Bears game today.

Jordan Reed potentially being rested has me sick.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Well i can just go ahead and relax as my team looks so far like theyre as interested in Week 17 as I am. Ah well 2nd prize isnt too shabby :)

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Can't wait to activate my "2nd-half Blake Bortles" trap card on these mother fuckers!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

the_american_dream posted:

Well i can just go ahead and relax as my team looks so far like theyre as interested in Week 17 as I am. Ah well 2nd prize isnt too shabby :)

Yep, no shame in that

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

maniacripper posted:

Can't wait to activate my "2nd-half Blake Bortles" trap card on these mother fuckers!

same

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Uh so is Gronk not playing?

WOULDA BEEN NICE TO KNOW

edit: opponent has Deangelo Williams, so that's nice at least.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 3, 2016

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Well this is just horrific timing for Bort to put up his worst fantasy game of the year. Shouldve rolled Russ afterall.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010
Everyone still playing should tell their league to stop being loving retards and not play week 17.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Should have loving played Tannyhills :smith:

I lied btw

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
Welp my team has taken a huge poo poo the last two weeks and now I'm down 5 points with my AP to their MIN D/ST.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
if he plays i actually like your chances but then literally every call ive made for me and a friend has been wrong today so ymmv

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hahahhahahha They pulled Russel Willson and Doug Baldwin. So long as Seferian Jenkins doesn't score in the next 2 minutes I win my championship.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dexo posted:

Hahahhahahha They pulled Russel Willson and Doug Baldwin. So long as Seferian Jenkins doesn't score in the next 2 minutes I win my championship.

That may have won my championship for me too.

Opponent has Wilson and Baldwin.

I'm up 29 and he just has Crosby to play.

Also, Cam loving Newton. Goddamn I love you. 36 points standard scoring in week 17.

loving Fantasy MVP right there.

edit: Also I ended up playing Artis-Payne over Woodhead, D. Brown and Lamar Miller. Turned out to be the right call!

In fact the ONLY miscall I made in my finale lineup was playing the Redskins D over the Colts D and that just ended up being a 2 point differential.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 4, 2016

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Congrats fellow week 17ers :cheers:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

the_american_dream posted:

Congrats fellow week 17ers :cheers:

Week 17 Bullshit :allears:

All Wilson needed was 3 more yards. and all Baldwin needed was one more catch.

Really hope no other adjustments happen. I already lost 5 points due to some post game adjustments.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 4, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Remember when some goon tried to say delanie walker wasn't good
94 catches 1,088 yards 6 touchdowns
Lol

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Wow. I put up 45 points this week and still won our championship. Sitting the Texans D/ST, Stafford, and J. Matthews was clearly the wrong choice. (But the Bengals, Bortles, and D. Baldwin looked so good...)

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
still cant get over Bort completely making GBS threads the bed but luckily playing him over Russ wasnt why I lost

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Metapod posted:

Lol

iirc they were saying something like a TE with a rookie QB wouldn't do well or something.

Sheeple
Nov 1, 2011

Metapod posted:

Lol

And he hadn't dropped a pass until a couple of weeks ago or something like that.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Metapod posted:

Lol

The best thing about it is he plays for the Titans so my league still won't give a gently caress about him and i'll have him again.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

VietCampo posted:

iirc they were saying something like a TE with a rookie QB wouldn't do well or something.

Vaguely remember this as two separate things. I think someone did post a stat that no tight end with a rookie QB had cleared 70 fantasy points (or something like that).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

RVProfootballer posted:

Vaguely remember this as two separate things. I think someone did post a stat that no tight end with a rookie QB had cleared 70 fantasy points (or something like that).

I believe that point was in a discussion about "safety blanket TEs" being a myth. Which statistically was correct iirc.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

RVProfootballer posted:

I dug up that there had only been two usable rookie TEs ever (Gronk and Ditka, so... Gronk) but I'm not sure where I posted that stat & I can't find it now, but there was a whole thing about don't trust Titans not even Delanie Walker, too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

I dug up that there had only been two usable rookie TEs ever (Gronk and Ditka, so... Gronk) but I'm not sure where I posted that stat & I can't find it now, but there was a whole thing about don't trust Titans not even Delanie Walker, too.

It wasn't the TE that was the rookie, it was the rookie QB throwing to the TE that sunk the value. The argument was that regardless of Delanie Walker being good or not, no rookie QB ever produced a really fantasy-relevant TE. Basically, this,

MacheteZombie posted:

I believe that point was in a discussion about "safety blanket TEs" being a myth. Which statistically was correct iirc.

Not only do rookie QBs not target their TEs more than non-rookie QBs, they targeted them less (IIRC). Then I thought the whole "Delanie Walker is a tire fire tight end" or whatever was separate and distinct, hah.

Anyway, if we're making fun of our awful predictions, I was so hyped for Bradford being a top 5 QB, and there being no way Brady was better than a back end QB1. I also, in like week 13 or something, made fun of people dropping Lacy for guys like Spiller... glad I randomly didn't say Hightower, because I absolutely would have, and whoops :frogbon: Also shout out to Aaron Rodgers for being godawful after I burned a first round pick in a 6 pt passing TD, -3 interception league. Managed 2nd despite that, but wish he had picked another season to break his streak of being a top 2 QB.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 4, 2016

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

ALFbrot posted:

I was down heading into Monday Night with only Denver's defense left to play. At the end of the fourth quarter, I was still down ~1 point. Luckily, Brandon McManus had one of the worst shanks I've ever seen and sent the game to OT. Denver managed to end the game with its only turnover, and so the last play of the fantasy football season handed me a one-point championship win :stare:

Lmao, I JUST found out that this hosed me over and I lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."
Ouch. Is it better to have won but then lost, than never to have won at all?

• Locked thread