Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Rutibex posted:

Why should I follow posting rules by Zorak, he hasn't been a mod in a long time.

He's gonna drop a space colony on you now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
If you're on OMP-i then why are you acting like syngas is all you have access to? There's a ton of other liquids it works with (Most of the ones in the game are compatible. Last map we had 5 of the turbines running off of a dimension with an ocean of ethanol.

Also they top out at 5,000 rf, which is a lot higher then most of the other smaller generators. A lot of people run efficiency numbers and then try and power their laser drills with 100 5 rf a tick Stirling generators or whatever. This makes me sad, because then I have to blow their base up.

edit: Bro, do you even math? A bucket of Syngas is 10million RF, it's 100 per milibucket.

edit: No, wait, that's MJ. I think it's more for RF. Syngas produces a lot of power.

edit: Ok, it's 1,111,000 RF per bucket. So doing the coal to syngas nets you a few extra hundred thousand RF over just burning the coal.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 19, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
OMP-I is still in the process of bug squashing, so there's no server download yet. We're killing dim doors now, cause it's a bad port. Wish StevenS would return to modding and give us a real version.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

MechaCrash posted:

If you use a stirling generator from Ender IO and upgrade it with an octadic capacitor, then you can turn a stack of coal blocks into about 55 million RF if you burn it. If you take this same stack of coal blocks and turn it into syngas, however, then you get about 22.6 million RF. It's true that octadic capacitors are a pain in the rear end to make, but Advanced Generators still take up a shitload of iron and are pretty bulky.

For ethanol-based power production, MFR bio-fuel reactors are better if you can get the blaze rods. Just make a line about eight blocks long consisting of a fluid conduit and a power conduit, then attach a biofuel generator to each side of it, and that'll crank out a bit over 5k RF. But presumably if you're running laser drills, you'll just build a drat Big Reactor, it's easier than some giant string of tiny bullshit generators.

You can get 63 million RF from burning that as liquifacted coal in an Advanced Generator.

Each coal is 100 milibuckets, which is 111,100 RF, each coal block is 9, and a stack of coal blocks is 64, so that's 576 coal, at 111,100 RF which is 63,993,600, minus the energy of melting the coal.

Melting the coal dust is 4,608,000.

Crushing it is 1,382,400.

So you net 58,003,200 RF if you process the same coal with Thermal Expansion and don't upgrade any machines or use more efficient mods.

Meanwhile with biofuel you're running 16 generators that can peak at 2560 Rf a trick, instead of one multiblock which is easier on the server that can do 5000 RF/Tick and has a built in 50 million RF reservoir.

Then, you can also build a heat exchange to produce steam, which you can then use to run a steam turbine of Advanced Generators or Big Reactors type, so number wise Advanced Generators are on par with any other power source, and provide a nice bridge to building your giant reactor that needs 10 turbines to run at 100%.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Yeah, do a Big Reactor Turbine if you can. Advanced generator turbines are not nearly as efficent, but they only take iron really. Early on before you have a lot of cyanite to build a full sized Big Reactor turbine it'd work, but you'd be better off using passive reactors or something else. The steam generation of Advanced Generators is pretty good though, I'm trying one out now to run Big Reactor Turbines on.

edit: It's also worth noting on the previous point that syngas is more for producing with wood and byproducts than it is actual coal. A log produces the same amount of carbon as coal does, after all. You might as well feed it that, or sugar charcoal, or other easily grown things. I haven't done the numbers, but woodpulp could stretch it further, not sure what the best way of generating that is.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 21, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Vib Rib posted:

I see yet another person here subscribes to the "just throw everything on the loving ground, who cares" school of home base design.

Any time I have a safe area (especially in skyblock-style maps) I basically just don't make buildings. I throw all my thermal dynamics machines flat on the ground in a messy cluster, and then all my Thaumcraft stuff in another cluster, and then somewhere over to the side I'll have my field of magic crops. Just a big mess of devices and special blocks. Who cares. I don't need a roof.

Just you wait till I get back home, you will eat those words!

Edit: Thy post all the pictures of all our so many roofs, please, my honour is on the line.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 21, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
As far as we can tell it's some sort of packet problem. 1.7 can't take packets over an arbitrary size well, so disconnects come with having that many mods competing for data for blocks, updates, machines, other players.

If someone finds some other issue then great, but it was a problem with the pack before on launch as well.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

StealthArcher posted:

Removing Cauldron cuts it down somewhat, in exchange the server can't even keep 5 TPS as a constant, and there's countless loving errors through the log repeating ad naseum.

Yeah, as far as we can tell there is no good fix for this. It sucks, but welcome to minecraft modding.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

StealthArcher posted:

Welcome to the infinite benefits of a version that never gets replaced. 19 months in 2 days folks! The 1.7 series just won't. loving. Die.

Now you know my infatuation with focused mod packs :p

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

StealthArcher posted:

Indeed, they're still incredibly shallow and boring though :p

One day tfc will have enough mod mods to make a kitchen sink with it. One day.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That's an OSHA violation there.

"But the plant operators only used lead lined, rather than invar jacketed pipes. This was a recipe for disaster."

Insert computer animation of accident here.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

wylker posted:

I mean compact machines is cool but why would you hide your awesome creations like that

So you can get more than 5 fps in your main base?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

30.5 Days posted:

Start a money server- he'll find you.

Do I smell a story?

wylker posted:

FPS is for losers

:(

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Don't update / make your own pack.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I really hope that pid script that cycles every tick doesn't bring the tps to a screaming halt on omp's server. It's bad as is.

Also hello Wylker, I'll let you know when the playlist is up. Love you, kissy kissy.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Falcon2001 posted:

Is there an easy way to reset my player position in 1.7.10? Getting stuck logging into a dimlet world and need to stop trying to laod to there :(

You can use an NBT editor to change your player.dat. Does the single player use that? If it doesn't then you can use the same program to directly edit the world.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Anyone experienced massive FPS loss involving Cryo-stabelized flux ducts? We had a big issue with them on OMP-i's server just now, with them killing FPS for everyone looking in their direction, even behind hundreds of blocks of dirt and stone. Trying to see if its a common issue, or some sort of interaction/bug.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Keep in mind you'll need 10 people on in the same area to really start noticing the time outs early on. Also, was that your base on OMPi?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You might still notice it. Who knows. It's such a hard to chase down fidling bug. I can't wait till mods move past 1.7.10

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
EnderIO is boring? What? Is this all because you can make things more compact by running fluid, power, item, and signals all in the same area if you want?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Travel Anchors also work for zipping from place to place in a base.

edit: And bane of arthropods doesn't mean you can't put sharpness on a sword, what the hell?

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jun 10, 2015

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
TFC packs tend to be small, since they although TFC is totally compatible, the mods don't always mesh well with the radically changed mechanics.

That said, I wouldn't be against bringing the pack and server back for a fresh start. I can think of a few additions that'd be fun, and I think there might have been a TFC update.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
So I was digging around in blightfall, and found a end fort, with a portal to the last millennium in it. Now I'm stuck in a void, and just watched an NPC named Xelos the Archmage fall into the darkness below me. I can't move, and my hunger won't drop so I can't get home? Is this intentional?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Talonos posted:

To get out of the Last Millennium, right click the portal in the middle of the spawn platform. It should respawn you in the "Dimensional recovery" room of the Jaded, which is normally inaccessible. Also about the Last Millennium, Enjoy the goodies Xillith gives you, he'll give you an extra box once per day, but the stuff in the chest and the bookshelf is a one-time boon. Killing Xillith is hard but possible; he gives you good stuff as drops (but then will never give you boxes again, because he is dead.)

I made a pink slime crossbow last playtest. Slime embiggening syringes are useful to get the most out of your pink slime.

Edit: Oh hey I have an avatar now. Thanks, whoever did that.

I can't click on anything. Maybe it's a multiplayer bug? I'm just frozen in place in the void. There's no platform.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Got a fluxed armor set from a machine bag. Gonna make a factory to produce gunpowder and say gently caress the fancy weapons, I'm mass producing black bullets and using a machine gun. We'll take the planet back the scifi way!

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Hey, ebeef, how about a big flowers mod?

Big Agriculture?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Ambaire posted:

Been playing the latest iteration of Ompi for a few days, and while it's quite fun with all the new mods, any mob wearing anything more than iron armor is completely invincible except to Ticon rapiers. Any idea which mod in this list is causing this behavior? I made a Lumium crossbow a few minutes ago, 13 heart attack with Manyullyn bolts, and it does not damage Crimson cult knights at all. In fact, it heals them. Nor zombies wearing osmium or glowstone armor. They're also immune to my 10 heart cleaver.

Edit: Also, NEI item subsets are all greyed out and unclickable. NEI works fine, and I tried reinstalling the pack but did not help. Everyone on the server seems to be having this problem.

Mekanism spawns vanilla mobs with armor. Cultists are not vanilla, they are thaumcraft mobs and default armored.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
TFC has edible seaweed that's pretty abundant on the coast, so that's a good place to head to if you don't spawn near it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
To be fair shift to crouch, double tap to run is pretty obtuse to. Nevermind minecrafts goofy crafting interface.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Actually, I've been pretty impressed with the mods you can run server side with minecraft now. I almost would like to see a server side only industrial mod. You can probably do a lot.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Blacktooth posted:

Ugh...Slowpoke. Probably the slimiest of the Anti-Technic crowd.

It is great the whole modpack thing has finally evolved to something more sane though.

Yeah, that is a shame.

Yeah, it's good that things are user friendly now, but a shame that slime bag and his friends are knuckle deep in it. The drama is so old though the users that were around for it are in the minority, so I guess it's all in the past.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Another Sigma could be a lot of fun with the new combat mechanics.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Eox posted:

Dungeon and magic mods have gotten more and more homogenous over the past few versions, it's a shame that the witches mod developed by an 8 year old and their parent didn't carry over to today. I would still lose dozens of hours in Sigma again if it had custom loot tables to counteract the constant "Great, 5 gold ingots" of dungeon crawling.

edit: Sigma on a server with hardcore darkness and that siege mod would be a hell of a ride

Yeah. Im starting to feel the itch for that again. Something I need to look into. The terrain generation these days is a lot nicer, too.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Blightfall, like terrafirmacraft is something I miss but can't stand to go back to because the new combat beats the socks off old combat.

Its got a rythm that was missing since the days of the apple sword dance back before hunger.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Eox posted:

I would give my left arm for a new Hexxit or Plus Sigma. I want something adventure/building focused, but the base loot tables suck rear end in almost every dungeon mod and it loses the magic if I make them myself.

There's RLCraft, which is scratching some of that itch for me currently. It's on the twitch launcher, and it's pretty much an adventure/combat focused pack with a little bit of survival thrown in.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Do you really need direction in a sandbox game, though? I'm not sure I get why people aren't just building things for the sake of building things and going to look at other people's things if they get bored with that? It's not like you need to even touch every mod in a kitchen sink pack. Usually I end up just focusing on one side of things, or making roads/transportation of some sort between people's bases.

That to me is the big appeal, you can diversify and let your group work on different parts, and people can ignore the things they aren't interested in, and in the end you get some wonderful builds out of it.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've always liked it, but it's probably still a resource hog.

There's also minecolonies if you want to be more direct in placing and managing the village, and ... there's one harvest moon style one that I forget the name of, but it was also pretty fun.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
if you need ice just nerdpole up until it is freezing and place water. it will freeze.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That one storage mod combo that roguelike adventures and dungeons has is pretty good. Dead simple, works well, and I love the visual of plugging my terminal into a chest the size of a house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Eox posted:

I remember at the tail end of Sigma I was a demigod charging between extremely lucrative battle towers on my golden chocobo and I have spent years trying to recapture that experience.

We all have been chasing that high, chief, we've all been.

:smith: