Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Advanced Generators is theoretically neat because you can start with a relatively small and simple generator, but you can later expand it with up to fifty turbines for more RF per tick. The problem is that it's usually less efficient than other options if you're going small, doesn't generate enough power to be worth it if you're going big, and it takes a mighty fuckload of iron to boot. If I could do something else with syngas, it might be worth it, but I can't, so who cares?

As for steam turbines. you don't necessarily have to use Big Reactor turbines. Those are large and expensive, and you need to either leave them running all the time (which is inefficient), babysit them (which is annoying), or automate it using a ComputerCraft computer (which is difficult). Unless you're producing stupendous amounts of steam, you can use MFR Steam Turbines. You can also make steam with MFR Steam Boilers, but I don't have the math on those. I don't know how efficient they are compared to Railcraft boilers, but I can tell you they're nowhere near as much of a pain in the rear end to make and use. There's also Big Reactors for steam generation, but that's only for...well, BR Turbine levels of steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If you use a stirling generator from Ender IO and upgrade it with an octadic capacitor, then you can turn a stack of coal blocks into about 55 million RF if you burn it. If you take this same stack of coal blocks and turn it into syngas, however, then you get about 22.6 million RF. It's true that octadic capacitors are a pain in the rear end to make, but Advanced Generators still take up a shitload of iron and are pretty bulky.

For ethanol-based power production, MFR bio-fuel reactors are better if you can get the blaze rods. Just make a line about eight blocks long consisting of a fluid conduit and a power conduit, then attach a biofuel generator to each side of it, and that'll crank out a bit over 5k RF. But presumably if you're running laser drills, you'll just build a drat Big Reactor, it's easier than some giant string of tiny bullshit generators.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I messed around with Agricraft for the first time today. I had previously made use of the sprinkler system for conventional crops, but ignored the rest of it, because it was derived from Industrialcraft 2. But the mod is actually kind of interesting, once the same premise is implemented by someone who is not desperately hoping you won't notice that their lovely coked-up used car salesman impression and monkey cheese humor is covering for a complete lack of usable information, and realizes that tedious bullshit is in fact tedious bullshit. I just wish I'd poked at it sooner, since while I don't know if a 7x7 field of Agricraft potatoes would have the same yield as my current farm, I know it'd have a much smaller footprint and be far easier to build, because I wouldn't need to worry about routing potatoes to the planter. I would miss out on poison potatoes, which is a minor problem because I built this and a sugar cane farm to make hootch to power everything and poison potatoes are great for that, but in the long run I don't think it would matter too much.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The thing about breaking an IC2 machine getting you a machine block gets better. If you used a wrench, that didn't mean you got the machine back. It meant you probably got the machine back. There was a chance, I think 10%, that you'd get a machine block anyway. Due to people complaining about this, the electric wrench was given a lossless mode that was guaranteed to get you back the machine block, but it used so much power that you could only do it once, then you had to recharge your wrench.

Why? Because gently caress you, that's why.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The computer program to run the reactor looks pretty nice, and very fine tuned, but I would take a different approach to it if the turbines supported vanilla redstone, or at least RedNet. My ideal setup would be as follows:

A Big Reactor on active cooling, cranking out steam to be stored in an AE2 Extra Cells deal. This would control the reactor to make sure I had a big enough backlog of steam. How big is "big enough" is something I'd have to mess with.

There would be a handful of turbines, each with an RS latch set up so that when base power gets low enough, the coils are engaged. When it gets high enough, the coils are disengaged. This could be done with either an actual RS latch or a handful of pistons and a block of redstone.

There would also be a series of ME fluid export buses set to redstone control. If the turbine's speed drops below a certain number, start cranking in steam. If it gets above a certain number, stop cranking in steam.

It's not as elegant as many (most) other solutions, but this has the advantage of "this can be built and troubleshot without needing to know how to program."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Tinker's Construct has no thematic overlap with Thaumcraft, because it's about using a smeltery and other such things to make your own tools from parts, which are better than vanilla tools. It has support for using thaumium to make tool bits, but as far as I know, that's the extent of it.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Eloraam was so MY VISION that she wouldn't let any other mods interact with hers directly. Remember that block that just took items and immediately ejected them into atube network? Those blocks were a workaround for the fact that she wouldn't let anybody see or interact with her code, so nothing could output directly to tubes.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I had completely forgotten about RP2's huge, ugly rubber trees. Chopping down one of those useless pieces of poo poo was a Minecraft day long endeavor with group help last time I played on a server that used it. But pretty much everything useful in RP2 has been replicated by now, so oh well. I did like volcanoes well enough, but...yeah, way too frequent, as were the horrible rubber trees. They would've been much more tolerable if they'd only hit two out of three of "huge, useless, and practically loving indestructible."

Thaumcraft hit its peak with 2, and has been getting worse with every version. I think it just keeps getting into packs because of inertia, and being one of the best known magic mods.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The problem is finding that one piece of charged quartz. On the server I'm on, getting any AE going took two days because we were trying to find some charged quartz.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mr Scumbag posted:

I'm using a big reactor for power, and I'm using rednet ports to change the fuel rods based on how much power is in reserve to increase its efficiency. I'd like to increase it further though, not that I need to, just cause I like efficiency.

What I'd like to do is to have an array of resonant ender cells as a buffer between my reactor and the rest of my base. I've done this before (I had a wall of 100 of them) but I'd like to add some logic to it this time.

Is there any way I can make it so the reactor will only kick in when, say x number of cells are depleted?

Energy cells can talk to comparitors, so you can use those (or their equivalent in other mods) along with RS latches, or a Rednet Programmable Controller, or even a couple of pistons and a redstone block in order to run the reactor. The reactor itself can also output redstone depending on its internal power buffer.

If you're just using energy cells, though, then what you can do is set a comparitor on the last cell on the line with a NOT gate (vanilla or otherwise). When power in that cell drops too low, the signal cuts out, the NOT gate turns on, and it activates the latch to turn on the reactor (or activates the piston to push the redstone block in front of the relevant port). When power gets high enough, the signal comes on and the gate turns off (and the piston retracts, if applicable). The signal stays, however. How you tell it "okay that's enough" is up to you, but I use "when the reactor's internal buffer gets full enough" as my condition. When that happens, it sends another signal, and turns off the latch (or shoves the redstone block back into its starting position).

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

If you run it in window, just bring up your inventory or something. That'll give you a mouse cursor you can use to click elsewhere, and the game will keep running.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I thought the "turbines explode if they're too fast for too long" stuff wasn't implemented yet?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

While this article is directly about MP3 vs OGG, and segues into Steam vs Origin, I do think its lessons are applicable to Minecraft vs Minecraft With Not-poo poo Coding.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think the short version for bees is that Gendustry makes them tedious and completely not worth the trouble even if you already know what to do, but at least it's something you can do. Without Gendustry, bees are basically unplayable, because on top of all the insane tedium and random bullshit, there's a much smaller variety of bees, you have to roll the dice every time you try to make a new bee, and a failed roll sets you back a few generations.

gently caress bees.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

About the only thing Forestry has that are worth half a poo poo are bees if you have Gendustry or something, and even then you run into the problem of "by the time bees are doing anything useful, you could have gotten way more via other methods." I kind of like Forestry ethanol production. It isn't as efficient as MFR biofuel production, but it makes up for it by being piss-easy to automate and only requiring one form of plant matter instead of nine.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I actually like having YouTube tutorials. To really understand a mod, you have to use it, but seeing the mod in action is a much better starting point than reading a bunch of descriptions.

That said, when the only documentation is from these videos, that's a problem. A video tutorial is great for the initial learning, but sometimes you just want to refer back to a thing. I still remember being cranky about there being no documentation for Equivalent Exchange 2, and having to sift through video tutorials because "which color on this magic ring does what" wasn't actually written down anywhere.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The good news that there are tech mods for 1.8.9 coming soon! The bad news is that it's Industrialcraft and Buildcraft. Industrialcraft has ditched the EU system and gone entirely with RF, just like Buildcraft ditched MJ and went with RF. I don't know if Industrialcraft is still full of fiddly bullshit and needing machines to make parts to make tools to make machines, but as you can see from the second video, Buildcraft is still full of exploding bullshit.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

When I saw the BC video, I noticed the date, and I figured "hm, possibly a joke!" But the fact that the IC2 video was posted the day before is what took me in.

I almost made it this year. Almost. :negative:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

senae posted:

I think a buildcraft pump is what you're looking for. Get 4 redstone engines to power it and put it above a 3x3 pool of water (because buildcraft pumps are generally garbage, and have a chance at just killing a 1x3 pool of water somehow)

I'm pretty sure some version or other of Buildcraft changed it so that if the pump is over an infinite water source, it will not actually remove the block. Although I agree that BC pumps are kind of crap. Unfortunately, I can't think of any other mods that have them off the top of my head, or at least has ones that are cheap and easy to use. I know that there's that pump from Extra Utilities that replaces the pumped blocks with stone to keep things from flowing for server lag purposes so you can drain the Nether without leaving a ton of flowing lava killing frame rates (the Endergenic Pump from Extra Utilities, I think?), but it's expensive and not really the same.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Did turbines ever get any sort of automation interface other than Computercraft? I think I could do something to automate running a turbine, the problem is that I don't know how to code in LUA, and don't want to learn how to code or download someone else's control program that's way too complicated for the kind of poo poo I want to do. I think I could do it with some simple, brute force, yes/no redstone gates and a bunch of pistons and redstone blocks to basically be RS latches, but that assumes that the redstone output ports for turbines exist like they do for the reactors.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Taffer posted:

They have redstone ports don't they? So anything that can do basic redstone logic. There are a bunch of tools for this, RedPower stuff, rednet controller, super circuit maker, etc...

No. The reactors themselves have ports to interact with Computercraft, RedNet, and Redstone, but the turbines are Computercraft or bust.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Honestly, there isn't much reason to automate turbines.

Turbines work best when you bring them up to speed and keep them there. This requires constant fuel burn, and manually tweaking the flow rates until you get a 900 or 1800 RPM. (The exact numbers are slightly lower for the optimal point, but I can't remember them off-hand. I want to say 1988 mB/t is the sweet spot for 37 Enderium coil blocks.) Bringing a turbine up to speed, even with the clutch, takes a long time, and isn't conducive to opportunistic starting and stopping like a passive reactor is.

I know, but I wouldn't want to do a lot of starting and stopping. What I'd do is use plain old redstone to set it up so that if the turbine gets to the lower end of optimal speed, start adding steam (where the steam comes from is another problem, but I already solved it). When it gets to the upper end of optimal speed, stop adding steam. There would be another set of controls to telling it when to engage and disengage the coils: when power gets below X% engage them, when it gets above Y% disengage them. The net result of this simple set of instructions is that the turbine stays at or near the proper speed and provides power when I need it, without using up all of my steam. There's Computercraft programs to do this, but like I said: way overkill for what I want to do.

I'd just throw my hands up and use Mekanism turbines instead, but those have no redstone controls at all that I can see. I'd have to rely exclusively on "give it steam/don't give it steam." The short version of where the steam comes from is "use the same 'if below X start, if above Y stop" to make steam, store it in an AE2/Refined Storage system or something, pump it in using aforementioned controls."

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The only thing I can think of is that you need to devote more RAM to the launcher.

In the upper right of the window is Launcher Options. Click that, then Java Settings. There's a dropdown box for Memory. A lot of packs want at least four gigs. Make sure that you have 64 bit Java installed too. For some reason, the automated installer only ever does 32 bit, so you'll have to get 64 bit manually.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The reasoning for the numbers is because of what each number means.

For example, Minecraft 1.10.2: It is Version 1 of the overall program Minecraft. Of that, it has 10 major revisions. And of those, there have been 2 minor revisions to the 1.10 experience.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Don't forget that in addition to finding the meteor, you also need to find some randomly spawning charged quartz, because a bunch of the good stuff requires charged quartz, and for some reason the quartz charger requires charged quartz. As you can imagine, this presents a problem.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Diogines posted:

1. If Steam is go by to indicate, there are approximately 500,000,000,000^10 minecraft clones on it and the rate of release is only increasing. Out of the countless, countless clones, are there any "mincraft-esque" games with novel or interesting tweaks that are actually interesting?

I think FortressCraft Evolved is okay? It came about because there was an audience for console Minecraft, and at the time there was no console Minecraft, and Microsoft's XBox Live Indie Games program was kind of a wasteland, so this was a perfect niche to move into. I wouldn't call it "a Minecraft clone," but there's also Space Engineers, which is very big on gathering up basic resources and using them to make bases and big fancy ships and stuff. Just keep in mind that you have to build your ships and bases block by block and that poo poo can get complicated.

But as a general rule of thumb, if something on Steam is on Early Access or Greenlight, and looks an awful lot like some other popular game (typically "an FPS" or "Minecraft," let's be real here), and it does not make it immediately apparent what makes it worth playing over the game it is shamelessly copying, then odds are pretty good it's complete poo poo.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Industrial Tech: Immersive Engineering
High Tech: OpenComputers
Magic: Botania
Transport: Railcraft
Farming: Agricraft
Nature: Forestry
Tools: Tinkers' Construct
Storage: Storage Drawers
Combat: Better Combat
Mobs: Ender Zoo
Animals: Mo' Creatures

My knee jerk reaction to Railcraft and Forestry is negative. Have they unfucked themselves, or are they still full of tedious bullshit, random explosions, waiting for the RNG to come up in your favor, and machines that only exist to make machines to make parts to make tools to do something actually interesting?

Normally I'd go "yep, Open Computers, have at it" but since it's the only mod in its category, I think it's worth noting that it does gently caress-all if you don't know how to program in LUA (or know where to find some pre-made programs), so I think something with a lower barrier of entry might be worth looking into. gently caress if I know what you'd count as high tech, though. I'd say Mekanism but that could also arguably go into the Industrial Tech slot.

The first thing I ever did with mod packs that included Mo' Creatures back in the day was rip it out. From the sounds of things, everything that was said about Ender Zoo being awful applies to Mo' Creatures, because it was severely unfun to step out of my house at night to deal with a million screaming horses and deer, then have a bunch of Wraiths swoop down on me while rats gnaw on my ankles and ogres crash through the walls and destroy everything I've ever built.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Falcon2001 posted:

That's actually a pretty drat neat idea for a mod - have a chunk restorer that just straight up reverts a chunk or area to the generated seed state, or one that redoes it with a different biome.

There also used to be a missile in one of the Mekanism sub-mods that respawned the chunks where it went off. I want to say ICBM? But to the best of my knowledge, it hasn't been ported to 1.10.2.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Rutibex posted:

The Ender-Batteries connect directly to my underground Big Reactor (it is deep underground in case of meltdown :ohdear:).

Unless Project Ozone hosed with it, Big Reactors do not explode. The worst that happens is you get a reactor with lovely overall performance, as it was made by a goon who grasps that poo poo randomly exploding if you don't do everything just right is not fun.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The transfer nodes of Extra Utilities can be set up to only keep a single item or single stack in the target inventory.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The problem isn't that IC2 is challenging, it's that IC2 is poo poo. If IC2 were replaced with a mod that didn't demand its own infrastructure and have poo poo randomly explode when you did anything wrong, which you will because nothing is documented, the modpack would presumably be less of a colossal pain in the rear end.

Industrialcraft is a Bad Mod and the fact that challenge packs keep including it anyway is a problem.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I've been getting the itch to get back into things, and specifically to play with the Direwolf20 pack (with Mekanism added, because Industrialcraft is garbage). Is the Twitch launcher no longer a dumpster fire? I'd rather use the Technic launcher, but even if there's 1.12 packs on there, there's no way to sort by Minecraft version, and it's certainly not going to have the Direwolf pack.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Isn't Roots the one that, every tick, checks your name and entire inventory, and if you have the right name and right item it gives you basically mod powers on the server?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

I'd have to say my favorite is the way they all use Direwolf's setup of using huge chunks of the video to point out what the recipe is, as if we're not all going to be using NEI/JEI anyway.

While I don't think it's something worth spending a lot of time on, showing how it's made at least gives an idea of how useful it'll be. A thing that stores 50 buckets of fluids and takes some iron and obsidian is potentially useful. A thing that stores 50 buckets of fluids and needs two nether stars is garbage.

Speaking of garbage, are there any skyblocks that don't use IndustrialCraft? MSB3 looks neat enough, but I don't want to have to suffer through that janky old bullshit.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Oh, right. I remember seeing some mod in there and thinking "ugh gently caress why," but apparently that was Buildcraft. Which is still janky old bullshit but it's somewhat less intolerable. Thanks, I will probably get around to taking a swing at MSB3 sooner or later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Crop stuff was originally added to IC2 as an end-game thing, so you had something to do while waiting for the UU matter to get made or what the gently caress ever. The problem being that by the time you could actually make any of this poo poo, you didn't actually need it, so Agricraft rejiggered things so it wasn't a "by the time you can use it you don't actually need it" thing.

And it's actually a lot less tedious and transparent than IC2's original crops, which is pretty damning of IC2 in general.