Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Libluini posted:

I can't wait to test the new structures on SiSi. If they really want to allow the new structures everywhere, instead of just on moons, I'll do my best to make deathtraps, just in case I ever have enough money to be a real rear end in a top hat on the normal server. :allears:

I'm also interested to see how they want to combine drones and structures. Considering the probably still rather long lock-on times for even the new medium structures, I fully expect people to have some structures around just to spew out Warrior IIs to keep pesky little frigates away.

They don't auto-fire. All defenses must be manually controlled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

That seems to directly contradict their intention of not letting one fucker trollsteal your station.

they don't actually intend to stop that

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PathAsc posted:

Where did you read this, I didn't see that at all. It looks like controlling will be the same as current POS mechanics: fire dumb or train forever to utilize well. It's not spelled out at all on the blog.

In the thread, repeatedly.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

surebet posted:

Got my CCP petition reply (it was re: the 90 days/30bux resub promo I apparently missed over the weekend) and while they won't extend the pricing they apparently will extend the 12th anniversary stuff. I would've expected the reverse, but whatevs.

I used to get my time cards over affiliates like blink for the bonuses, is there anyone left giving out perks? Otherwise can someone pull the affiliate link from the goonswarm wiki for me?

Giving out perks now is considered RMT, so nobody does it. GSF's link is here: http://www.shatteredcrystal.com/code.php/eve_online/~1115-GFWIKI

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Blazing Zero posted:

i dont know much about greyscale other than goons hate him. is he just the martyr for changes a whole bunch of people made? that's how it usually works around here.

otoh, im a fan of albion having played the winter alpha. its a good game and i hope it continues to be so.

He was responsible for designing some of the worst changes. CCP is generally pretty open about whose idea is whose baby.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Klyith posted:

I hedge a bit since I'm not on the csm, so I don't really know what was up. Sion was pretty clear that he thought they'd been cut out, but I wasn't sure if it was really greyscale's intent.

I think when you list greyscale's biggest fuckups, you have to include the stuff he refused to look at or consider. Like the ore rebalance we're finally getting. Our csm guys had been after the devs to fix that poo poo for years, because supposedly valuable null ores were literally less remunerative than veld in highsec. Nah, greyscale thought highsec having the best mining & industry was fine. Is it a coincidence that shortly after the industry design guy is shown the door that it gets done?

To be fair, Greyscale is the one who finally made null industry better with the outpost upgrade changes.

probably because he finally got convinced he had to do it to kill jump freighters

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ZekeNY posted:

Sure, but these are the same people who thought it would result in the death of the Eeevil Gon Empire [sic], and still can't wrap their minds around the notion that the largest and best-organized group was (shockingly enough) in the best position to adapt to these changes and prosper from them.

The basic problem is that CCP keeps looking at nullsec and thinking "we need to make it harder so the major powers can't keep dominating it". But the thing is, you make it harder, then we're the only ones who can deal with it. Some new alliances can't get over the four foot hurdle? Then they're not going to make it over the five-foot one. But we'll probably find a way. We have to improve only a little: new people have to improve much, much more.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It's interesting to speculate where the 20m came from though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Also the Levi bonus used to be worthless, because when it increased the total shield capacity it didn't actually add that much in shields. So you'd then have to rep everyone up in order to get the benefit of the bonus. The Rag's bonus has always been pretty useless.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

37.5% Sig radius reduction is pretty significant. Even a full set of HG Halos is only half that, and you tend to see a major decrease in damage received when you've got a set of those plugged in.

Yes, but not for a capital/supercap. It's strictly useful while supporting subcaps, which makes it extremely rare that its useful. All the other bonuses are directly relevant to cap/supercap fleets (though now that dreads no longer active tank, cap is less relevant, but when titans were first built it was incredibly important).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

cybertier posted:

Yeah I learned my lesson and never touch highsec any more (didn't train a ganking alt yet).
I do my hauling through PushX now. Whose ship got promptly blown up on my first contract to them. :toot:

Lesson two: Allways collateral for what you paid, not for what some random page estimates.

Always collateral for more than you paid, so that if your package gets ganked you get paid for the inconvenience as well. In fact, collateral for the maximum they'll accept without charging more.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

How are BPOs seeded? How can someone get a titan BPO, or like any type of BPO?

By NPC sell orders. When you buy one from an NPC it's created then and there.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

polyfractal posted:

Doing some spring cleaning of equipment scattered around the universe, before moving to Dek. My Nidhoggur is in Syndicate right now...which is sorta close but far enough that I'm concerned. The jump fatigue stuff has me worried, since it doesn't look like I can just string cyno alts along the route anymore.

Should I just sell it locally and purchase a new Nid once I get to friendly territory? Or maybe I'll just let it sit until I've gotten accustomed to new Eve gameplay and move it later.

Cyno to station, dock, wait out spaceaids, repeat. It's not any more dangerous, just more time-consuming.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Traveller posted:

I got a solo kill! Someday my killboard will be in the green. Eventually.

That happens, right? :ohdear:

Just have your cap pilot show up at br-5 and rack up hundreds of billions of kills without even trying to killmail whore :sun:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wolfy posted:

There's a few flavors of wardecers. Some of them definitely siege POS.

Yeah, but only ones who found the pos first, then declared war. Nobody randomly declares war to then go find the pos.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Demiurge4 posted:

CCP really need to pull their heads out of their rear end and attempt to make all ship classes useful. The current meta is awful, I don't care if battlecruisers end up with a lovely, almost inconsequential, role but for fucks sake do something. Not really sure what their ship team actually does, they released the Confessor and Svipul in a fairly decent time frame from each other but since then they've released a few screenshots and some basic stats of the other two and left it for Fozziesov.

Hell I'd even be totally fine with it, if the way they made command ships relevant again was to just give them capital ship levels of tanking ability so they can stay on grid.

Making all ship classes useful is easy to say, and very, very hard to do. It's not like they don't know that would be a good thing.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Boat posted:

So I'm new & dumb and left some poo poo back in highsec when I joined goonwaffe & suicided my way to Ya0.

What's the best way to retrieve it? Fly my rear end back? Have one of my other chars fly it to me? Do both of the above & meet halfway?

Who knows. Its pretty hard to miss the two whole grayed out character slots on login, but people are idiots so....

What stuff? It's probably worthless.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

causticBeet posted:

What's the point of a non cloaky nullified ship ? Like great I can't be bubbled but the sabre can just long point me anyways.

I'd like to see them more cemented as support/tackle ships. Maybe reduce their combat efficiency but add things like web effectiveness, even more sig reduction. Instead of having a "combat" and "tackle" interceptor, why not have combat and travel. Travel captors can be insta warp nullfied whatever but with no bonused weps, and combat ones are similar to how they are now for tackle.

You warp out before you're pointed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pugnax posted:

Scouting.

But seriously, do interceptors pose any real threat beyond killing afk players? Windrunners are hilarious but are definitely a support/thirdparty gimmick. It's not like a pack of roaming interceptors is going to be able to do anything beyond looking for easy ganks.

Enough of them can kill any ratter. They are essentially a risk-free area denial tool.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Zephyrine posted:

Kittens are unambiguous cuter than puppies.

that's just plain wrong go play with a golden retriever puppy and then try to care about kittens

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

darth cookie posted:

My cat plays fetch like a dog and shits in a box for my convenience and doesn't slobber everywhere. Your move. :colbert:

my families dogs basically view their number one goal in life making sure i and everyone else like them and want to play with them, to the point that they started doing some noise that sounds like them trying to purr when they see someone for the first time in a while (when you were asleep counts as a while) because we all thought it was super cute

your cat barely cares if you die and that is only because of your status as food provider

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

hemophilia posted:

ISD moderation has pretty much single handedly killed the eve forums.

not single-handedly, there's also ccp employees pitching in on the moderation as well

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Goons also appear to have conned Derek Smart into thinking the list of idiot goons who have purchased Star Citizen was actually a list of goons who want refunds.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Enemu posted:

I googled Derek Smart and somewhat understand who he is but :iiam: the entire recent Star Citizen drama. What happened?

Star Citizen has about zero point zero percent chance of delivering on what it's currently claiming it will, has raised $85m, and keeps raising more money by promising new undeliverable things. I think the drama is another gamedev trying to be the face of the "hahahahaha this is never happening what the gently caress happened to that 85m" except that guy is more than a little bit of a tremendous idiot himself given the legal threats over screenshots of a public facebook post he's throwing about. But at least he is a tremendous idiot without $85m of people's money wasted!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Klyith posted:

Nobody can, the whole shebang is dead. Somebody made a boo-boo while trying to fix some code this morning.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=5888724

problem with the player database, someone probably used the ol' 'drop tables' name for their character

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wolfy posted:

Hilariously they were the only dreads that worked at B-R.

uh, my dread worked just fine https://zkillboard.com/character/1796668777/

well, not "just fine" considering the gun would routinely get stuck, but well enough to shoot poo poo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

NyxBiker posted:

And people are saying that it will go even well-over 2-3 if not 4b in a year or so, which I still don't believe and I really hope won't happen. Would be impossible to pay the game with ISK for alot of people. I'm sure that CCP will manipulate the prices to keep it down.

Can't be done, short of injecting free plex into the market (which will not happen).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

darth cookie posted:

They've dumped plex on to the market to suppress the price before.

They have cycled seized plex (i.e. selling at a temporary peak while buying at a temporary low) to smooth out the price. But they've done it in a way that doesn't inject new plex into the game over the long term, because doing that costs them actual money.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ice Fist posted:

Having not really followed eve recently I guess I find this interesting? Why are PLEX prices going up/expected to go up so much? What happened?

My feeling is that as new people in EVE dry up, there's fewer people selling plex to get a start. Also now that supercaps are worthless people don't plex for one anymore. Both cut down on supply. The isk chasing those plex increases as, again, new players dry up so the people buying tend to be richer.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ice Fist posted:

Supercaps are now worthless because CCP nerfed the poo poo out of jump range correct? Or was it something else?

Jump fatigue, as well as that with fozziesov any damage-dealing capital ship has no role. Dreadnaughts don't have things to shoot, so supercarriers don't have capitals to shoot, and titans don't have dreads or supercarriers to kill.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

What could cause CCP to be in actual trouble with plex is the fact that there's large stockpiles of plex out there. Since those have already been paid for, if there was something that caused people to start redeeming those more than they do now that would lower CCP's actual revenue (while from an accounting standpoint it may not for reasons not worth explaining, from a cash balance standpoint it absolutely lowers their bank balance) and that could cause CCP some serious problems. My guess though is that the sort of death spiral that would kill CCP would lead to most of those being abandoned on dead accounts rather than used.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

How would it lower their cash balance? To your point: stockpiles of PLEX are already paid for. I think it's the opposite from what you argue: from an accounting perspective, they may realize the revenue and cost of a subscription upon PLEX activation, even though the cash flow happened at some point in the past.

Because an increase in the amount of plex redeemed for subscription time is a decrease in paying actual dollars. The amount of plex that are outstanding would cause a significant hit in subscription revenue if people began burning those instead of paying recurring subscriptions (or, instead of purchasing new plex to sell on the market).

From an accounting perspective they can now realize the gain on the earlier plex sale as well so it's a wash. But it's not from a cash-flow perspective: they got extra cash a long time ago, wasted it on DUST, and now have to pay for it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ProSlayer posted:

Do you need a minimum amount of skill training before engaging in PVP?

You should probably be able to activate either a warp disruptor or a non-civilian weapon. Not exactly a high bar.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

orange juche posted:

Crokspeys ride again?

nope it is the age of the croker

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

abigserve posted:

Keep in mind as well that pissing goons off by making their space shittier/harder to hold is pretty much exactly what everyone else wants so it's not like the changes are completely irrational.

CCP don't really get that to give us competition you can't make it harder to hold space - you have to make it easier. We can deal with whatever shitshow of a system they throw at us because we have a decade of organization built up that we can throw at that system. Some new organization doesn't, and they just can't deal with it. We're going to be about the same no matter how hard or easy it is, so they have to make it easier on everyone else.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Azuth0667 posted:

Why doesn't entosis just work like the hictor bubble? No remote assistance and no prop mod.

because fozzie is dumb, which is the answer to most questions about the entosis module

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Libluini posted:

I always hated this attitude, since it combines fantasy tech of the far future with knowledge of how things work in real life in the 21st century. Which clashes horribly. If we're talking about cloning and the transfer of consciousness using technology from the year 10+k, it's easy to assume this problem has been solved. Like for example, what if the quantum transfer of memories to the empty clone is fast enough to make Mark "jump" to the new clone without dying? In this case, only the body of Mark1 dies, but Mark1 lives on in the body of Mark2, his empty clone. A clone which was specifically prepared for this sort of transfer.

Since Mark1 wasn't technically in his body anymore thanks to the transfer, he never died. An empty sack of meat died, but that's it.

Thinking about this highly fantastical future stuff like stuff works in real life today is really weird. It's like an ancient Sumerian wizard scoffing at the mere idea of computers because his spell book says it's impossible.

The issue is that it's not clear any technology could solve this issue, since from all external indications Mark1 died and Mark2 thinks he's Mark1 is the exact same situation as Mark1 actually now being Mark2. The only person who can "tell" is Mark1 and if they're dead they can't exactly do that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i don't think you have any idea how many towers there are in deklein, theres a reactor farm in nearly every station system

i think tower killmails would get old after the first thousand and then you'd probably have a lot more to go

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 1, 2015

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

0.0 missions and mining made the oldest of us, what now

yeah but look how you turned out

fetal missioning and mining syndrome is no joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Could be worse, could be the insanely entitled retards that think wormholes or perfect safety highsec incursions shouldn't be nerfed

yeah those are basically thalidomide babies

• Locked thread