Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
At some point in the game they should have had a troll do the loading cutscene narration instead of Dandelion. Missed opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
God drat it. I did it and didn't bother trying the other option because I assumed his would look even worse.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's strange that the booze to make White Gull is literally never lootable and so ridiculously expensive to buy. I mean it's not like I have much else to spend my 30k gold on but having to spend more than I have on everything else in the game combined on booze to fill out the superior alchemy items is weird.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think I avoided the bad ending by a single choice playing completely blind. I am a barely adequate dad. :toot:

I too really, really want Cirri DLC. She's just so much fun to play.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

Yen is great.
She is. Triss is cool but has 0 pun conversations. Sorry Triss.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah that works. It's not as powerful as NR overall thanks to lacking spies but it's simpler to play. Just pack melee with cards, commander's horn, clear skies if they have a frost.

I see people in this thread using decoys but I never bothered. What are they good for other than stealing spies, which is only useful if the opponent is Nilfgard or NR?

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 29, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

In either case, I didn't trust her to only kill dickface,

I did and she did, so that was clearly the good resolution. :v: Quest just ends there and you never learn the other stuff though.

My favorite quest in the game is the loser wraith in the arena. I spent a good minute wandering around town trying to find someone who would give me a clue on how to fix him before it hit me. "Wait a minute, maybe I can just..."

Sindai fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 30, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

the wildest turkey posted:

Playing on easy/2nd easiest difficulty is definitely worth it. Honestly, I feel like it would be more tedious playing it on a higher difficulty because the enemies don't seem to have that many unique attacks/strategies/etc. so on harder difficulties the enemies just have more HP, it's not really more difficult/engaging fights (AFAIK).
I think difficulty has way more effect on enemy damage than enemy HP. I turned it up to the second-hardest difficulty about halfway through and was still two-shotting most things, but they actually hurt me even if they were > 5 levels below me. On the default difficulty underleveled enemies barely touch you.

What I really wanted was separate settings for difficulty and "realism" though. I liked the way enemy damage and HP felt on hard but not being able to replenish health by meditating was annoying since it meant having to push a button to eat a bunch of times between fights.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jun 30, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
There's only one point in the game where you can lock yourself out of a bunch of quests at once and the game will pop up a giant warning telling you to manually save at that point.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If your difficulty is set low enough that meditating restores your health I can't imagine any enemy taking long enough to kill that you'd need to do that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I used Quen pretty much all the time because I'm really bad at not getting hit and Swallow doesn't heal fast enough.

I never realized just how much tolerance that alchemy skill adds. I went through the whole game thinking decoctions were totally useless.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There's a sword skill that makes you immune to damage at any point during your dodge animation. Unfortunately the hit will still drop Quen if it's up.
Dodge and roll already behave that way though. I searched and everybody who's tested it seems to conclude that if the skill does anything at all it's too minor to detect.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 1, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

Ok so I've googled around and found a few sites that do pieces here and there, but if any of you know of a site where all the alchemy recipes are, Id appreciate it. I do so enjoy having the enhanced and superior recipe of something but not the regular one. :shepface:
For the most part it's random. Talk to every herbalist and alchemist you see, some will have a bunch of recipes. Anything you don't get that way is just a random drop from ?s and it's pretty much guaranteed you'll finish the game missing a bunch of superior oils.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Protip: the weight stat is the total of the stack, not per item. For a while I thought a bunch of particularly abundant crafting materials (dwarven liquor) were really heavy. :downs:

vandalism posted:

I wanna get rid of other stuff too but there are even quest items I can use break down on, so I don't want to gently caress myself over.
You can't break down quest items. Once they're no longer quest items they (sometimes) move to another tab and become sellable/destructible.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I didn't realize until nearly the end of Velen that it shared the regional map with Novigrad so throughout all of act 1 when I looked up north on the map and saw that giant city I was like "wow that's pretty big, I wonder how huge Novigrad is going to be???"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Section 31 posted:

Storywise though, I also wonder why Geralt just outright reject reinforcement soldiers led by Voorhis.
I assumed it was because Voorhis would obviously have orders to grab Cirri the moment the WH was defeated. Geralt wanted command of the troops.

But then he ends up working directly with the emperor and his troops on Skellige so :shrug:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I used the Jedi Mind trick and got called out. Everyone aggro'd, and I slaughtered all the Witchunters and Menge
Me too. At first I was worried I screwed up but then I realized the only "penalty" was getting to slice up a bunch of assholes so really there's no downside.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
What I'm most excited about is "horse behavior." I'd say the single most annoying thing in the game is how frequently Roach will stop dead upon barely brushing an obstacle or randomly veer sideways in the middle of an open field if you're not holding the forward key down.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Don't you miss out on where Djikstra's gold is, so that he doesn't help you in an upcoming battle?
Oh I guess there is a downside then. I forgot why they were there and assumed it was impossible to find the gold.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 6, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I wish your skills weren't limited by the unlockable slots. It felt kind of bad to end the game with a bunch of skill points I literally couldn't use, and that was only taking a single one of the misc skills.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
With multiple enemies they can attack at the same time so just redirecting the lock won't save you. Just get used to tapping block whenever you see an attack animation start, the parry window is extremely generous and sometimes the red flashes are misleading anyway.

And always be dodging/rolling so you're not surrounded.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 8, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If it's any consolation that might actually be the hardest fight in the entire game. 3 enemies that deal more damage to you than you do to them in an enclosed area with no healing, skills, magic, or items? I can't think of anything else like that.

(I just challenged them to the 1v1 outside and won easily.)

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 8, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
If you're crafting witcher gear relics will always be worse until around level 35, the useful part is all the gold you make selling them and the occasional alchemy recipe.

Usually exploration chests do give items closer to your level than that though, you might just have gotten unlucky on that one.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Level definitely impacts fist fights - or at least being underleveled does. The brawler quest fights are much harder if the opponent has a red skull, as you would expect.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Snak posted:

I am level 15 and have easily beat a red skull level 30 fighter.
Did you just never take a hit? In Skellige instead of just throwing haymakers that are easy to counter they start adding jabs that come out almost instantly.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

Also, what do dimeterium bombs actually do to golems? They're listed as a weakness but I don't see any effect on them at all.
It probably disables their "magic" attacks like shooting rock spikes at you. not a good tradeoff since it also disables your magic and quen is pretty important for fighting golems.

JetsGuy posted:

I've already had my unicorn sex though, so that's something.
Speaking of which, I kept getting a bug where the glowing hand effect and sounds sorceresses get when using magic would get "stuck" active after finishing a cutscene where they open a portal or whatever. By far the funniest time it happened was before that scene. The whole time Yennefer's hand was loudly crackling with blue lightning. :science:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 10, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Don't worry about it. I had that bug too and there are no consequences other than having a quest in the failed part of your quest log.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 13, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Wait you mean if you try to ride off the edge of the map? In that case I finished the game without learning that so good job.

Would have been really useful when I, like so many others, tried to reach that giant tree in southeast Velen.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

Geez, it is overwhelming arriving in Velen after a few days in White Orchard. I tried to do some side stuff before moving over to Hendrik, but almost every point of interest in the immediate area seems to be infested with enemies that are too strong to fight or just on the cusp of being too strong for a newbie such as myself. I was hoping to clear the side stuff by pieces of the map in the general vicinity of the main quest as I move through the world so it'd be less overwhelming and require less backtracking, but now I'm wondering if that's totally infeasible.
You will find level 30 quests in Velen, the game very much expects you to backtrack if you want to do side quests.

Luckily it has very strong fast travel system. There's signs everywhere.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Don't do that. You'll have more ability points than you can spend by the end of the game anyway, and you need the rare materials, recipes, and equipment from exploration points way more early on.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
(1) Yes. There are some document laying around that explains that the White Frost is advancing across their world and they're struggling to slow it down with magic, but they can't stop it. Which is why they're so desperate to get Ciri.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Neither option is great so don't feel too bad about it. Your choices are basically either kill Anne and the village that worshiped the crones or leave the kids with the crones.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Beeez posted:

But from what I hear, you don't get to kill the Crones in the path I've now locked myself into.
Nah the quest doesn't affect that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

OAquinas posted:

Anna is alive but mentally broken.
This seems like a bug. There's no reason for the crones not to punish her anyway.

Unless she does something to betray them more directly if you talk to her first?
I can't remember.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 30, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
No doubt cut because they realized they needed an alternate ending if you make the omelette out of beer, candy, and wolf liver.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I never figured that out. I would just stop driving and then counter-kill them one by one.

I also didn't figure out you could use the crossbow underwater until I read it somewhere out of game.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 31, 2015

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

Pretty sure Skyrim sold more copies in its first two months than Witcher 3 has and has sold more copies than Witcher 3 ever will so I doubt Bethesda will care at all.
Hell, according to SteamSpy more than 4x as many people have played Skyrim in the last 2 weeks than Witcher 3. As long as they keep mod support Bethesda has nothing to worry about.

http://steamspy.com/app/292030
http://steamspy.com/app/72850

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That sounds normal. I did everything in the game except the Skellige sea ?s and was missing a bunch of superior oils. For whatever reason unlike potions and bombs you're not guaranteed to get all the missing oil recipes off the druid guy.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I got exactly the same set of endings. I'd love to see the actual numbers but I'd bet that's more or less the most common outcome.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Stealing from everyone is really a public service. What were those peasants even going to do with alcohest and dimetrium bars? Not craft items to eliminate dangerous monsters I bet.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Yeah, dwarven spirits and alcohest are common loot from the generic crates/bags/shelves sitting around absolutely everywhere, so it's pretty much impossible to run out. And now that they weigh 0.0 there's no reason not to carry dozens around all the time.

The real solution is to use potions all the time. Now that we have 4 consumable hotkeys (my single favorite change in any patch) I just mash swallow/thunderbolt/blizzard at the start of any nontrivial fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
My rule was parry/riposte people, dodge small monsters, roll big monsters.