Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The wait is loving killing me.

Comte hook us, your special friends, up with an early release. None of us will tell anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

megalodong posted:

I have here in my hand a list of 205—a list of names that were made known to the moderators of Something Awful as being members of the Witcher 3 shill department and who nevertheless are still posting and shaping gamer opinion in the Something Awful forums.

poo poo, we're screwed now, fellow viral marketing shills.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

gnarlyhotep posted:

Utnayan let me start by saying that I give less than no fucks about gamers and gaming, and I PLAY games myself. It is beyond me how anyone could be this invested in any industry which does not directly contribute to their livelihood.

Maybe he is, though. Maybe he's the shill the whole time.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Elukka posted:

It makes perfect sense. He's hired to generate controversy, which keeps the game and its name constantly on page 1.

:tinfoil:

This idea is like actually less crazy than his crazy ideas that everyone arguing with him is a shill. Considering everyone in the thread is arguing with him, that would make us all shills, so who would we even be marketing the game towards. 'Greetings fellow employees of CDPR, let's all talk about how good and not flawed at all the game we're all buying anyway is.'

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Utnayan posted:

Well, I'll say this.

If effects me when I see people posting on the internet promoting or defending unethical business practices. Doesn't contribute to your livelihood or theirs?

How about a little kid with leukemia that just spent their 40 out of 100 on a video game they saw on TV that looked awesome but was nothing like what was advertised.

Ever dealt with that? How about we start there, and all the other fucks in this thread that work for their organizations can start to chime in on defending it as they viral their two week launch window.

We see through your lies now, you vile shill. It's plain to see that you work for some marketing agency, generating controversy and making this the most interesting (hilarious) thread in games right now.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Murodese posted:

I'm not sure equating the disappointment of receiving a video game with slightly less deep shadows and leukemia is going to be very effective. One just seems a bit worse than the other.

Listen dying of cancer isn't poo poo compared to videogame graphics not being quite as good as expected.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Utnayan posted:

I'll finish the story.

This kid went to SA because of this.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473379

A part of that funding went to that kid.

Straw man my rear end you gently caress. Want to hear the rest of the story?

Ah yes, the general kickstarter thread, haven for children dying of cancer.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

gnarlyhotep posted:

"If only the draw distance was further out...." were his last words

Cdprojekt lied, totally real and not invented straw man Cancer Child died or something it's all a little vague at this point.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Utnayan posted:

That kid took some of his money and bought a game called Alien Colonial marines.

Why?

Because I was sitting there watching that movie with him and he loved the thing. His favorite part was when they set up the automatic machine guns and they went off and he knew when the guns were going off by looking at the counter tick down.

Aliens obviously.

He spent the money he got from this very site to buy that game. It was a horrid broken mess as we all know. And he wanted to buy it and I insisted that I do it for him and he insisted no, he was going to buy it because there were great internet people that helped him and it he wanted to let them know he had fun and spent that 40 bucks wisely so I made him a steam account, he downloaded it, and I bought him a nice gaming laopop to play it on since he was in his bed.

The game crashed constantly. Completely bug ridden as I found out later, and then knowing later through my contacts that the company... gently caress it.

This kid looks up to me and says, "This game doesn't work that well......" I tried to fix the computer, over and over, I gave him 5 laptops, nothing changed it. He said, "The movie was better I think".... And All I could think of, was that gently caress, ********* covering his rear end while he was being sued by ******** for 3rd party, yes.... what a mother loving bastard.

But those ads were awesome. You looked at the screen on the TV and you can sucker those casuals into buying your product or those moms and dads without thinking twice.

9 weeks later, that kid died.

You can see from why I am so adamant about being ethical when it comes to these games? Honeslty, no internet poo poo, have you ever had to explain to a kid that had some funds to spend to help him out and make him smile, and loved a game that oh well, "Those publishers suck I guess, lets go call it a life!"

Yeah some may think I am nuts. How about owning up to your product and not being an unethical gently caress. Has that ever once entered some minds.

Witcher 3 will be fine. What got me was the usual defense of obvious bullshit deflection.

Let me clue you in developers. We don't owe you poo poo. We bought your product, and sometimes off false promises and unfinished product. The hell you loving say we are entitled for feeding YOUR family. Get off your loving high horses and realize that false advertising is bullshit, and all your viral garbage will not make a few decent people go away.

Doesn't matter to you. You made your cash.

this exact same thing happened to me to except with duke nukem forever.

loving gearbox keeps murdering children.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Utnayan posted:

He spent the money he got from this very site to buy that game. It was a horrid broken mess as we all know. And he wanted to buy it and I insisted that I do it for him and he insisted no, he was going to buy it because there were great internet people that helped him and it he wanted to let them know he had fun and spent that 40 bucks wisely so I made him a steam account, he downloaded it, and I bought him a nice gaming laopop to play it on since he was in his bed.

The game crashed constantly. Completely bug ridden as I found out later, and then knowing later through my contacts that the company... gently caress it.

This kid looks up to me and says, "This game doesn't work that well......" I tried to fix the computer, over and over, I gave him 5 laptops, nothing changed it. He said, "The movie was better I think".... And All I could think of, was that gently caress, ********* covering his rear end while he was being sued by ******** for 3rd party, yes.... what a mother loving bastard.

But those ads were awesome. You looked at the screen on the TV and you can sucker those casuals into buying your product or those moms and dads without thinking twice.

9 weeks later, that kid died.

You can see from why I am so adamant about being ethical when it comes to these games? Honeslty, no internet poo poo, have you ever had to explain to a kid that had some funds to spend to help him out and make him smile, and loved a game that oh well, "Those publishers suck I guess, lets go call it a life!"

At no point did you, informed gamer with inside knowledge, explain to this made up cancer child that aliens: colonial marines was gonna be really loving bad?

Who's the real monster now, child killer.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Utnayan posted:

People wondered why I was so obsessed about calling out the bullshit in this industry over the course of my posting career.

Get better in this industry before it loving falls apart.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=Utnayan+NFL

Are you saying you're chris kluwe?

e: I mean, that's the first result on that page for me.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

CrazyTolradi posted:

What kind of cheapskate forces dying children to play a horrible game on a laptop? Get the kid a decent set up at least, wtf.

Yeah, I think it's clear who the real monster is. First he doesn't tell the kid colonial marines is gonna be terrible despite everyone knowing this for weeks or months before the game came out, then he makes the poor kid play on a series of laptops.

Truly, a monstrous crime.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

gnarlyhotep posted:

how long of a probe should I give him, games?

Utnayan posted:

Go nuts. In fact, Perma ban.

Making it so. I will not donate anymore time to a site which condones viral marketing false product on the dollar.,

Hmm.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
It's been fun witcher thread, but it's all downhill from here.

I just want this stupid game to come out (so I can get my kickbacks from the sales, obviously)

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

1stGear posted:

Any moment an admin is going to wake up and hit him with the month probation gnarlyhotep requested, so enjoy the Utnayan Experience while you can.

I would honestly, genuinely be shocked at this point if he doesn't catch a permaban, because he's a creepy obsessive stalker.

See him pm'ing people constantly.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Utnayan posted:

drat right: On my agenda:

1) Amazon reviews will be from verified purchases only.
2) Sites like IGN who make their money off publisher dollars for ads will no longer be able to review games based on said ad revenue.
3) Publishers will no longer be able to extort gaming sites with exclusive preview material, which those sites need to generate web hits, by making them promise they need good reviews for their game.
4) Publishers will come clean on any product changes 2 months before launch. Regardless of any "free game" promotions and will be heavily hit if those publishers do not follow through on features requiring said hardware. (Gee, lookie here, this game - to be honest this is more NVIDIA's fault as they forced CD to not say anything about the PC version downgrade)

To name a few at the top of my list.

With that said, it will be a great game. But next time, loving tell the truth to your customers. And days of the viral shoutdown artists here are over.

Everyone needs to get a say, everyone can freely express their opinion without being stifled or called a troll when calling out the truth of an anindustry that has needed the wooden spoon on it's rear end for years now.

Oh, and by the way, the next target? EA's new Star Wars game which is developed within 17 months and has 4 DLC packages already developed to sell you a game at $100 to get the full experience when it should have been launched like that all along.

Long live the gaming consumer! It's time for an rear end whoopin'!

I will now vacate the thread so the honest posters here can talk about their excitement to play a good game that is about to come out.

Why don't you take your particular brand of insane autism or whatever it is and at least apply it to something actually worth getting upset about. Videogames aren't poo poo, and the 'bad' that videogame companies do isn't even a blip on the radar of what other industries perpetrate. Why not take your insane moral grandstanding to an industry where actual, genuine evil is perpetrated instead of something as mild as 'ripping off gamers' or whatever. Why obsess about videogame ethics when there's companies that are destroying the environment, enslaving the poor, and displacing and taking advantage of the desperate? Who gives a poo poo, in the grand scheme of things, if people's disposable income isn't wasted quite as well as it might be.

I challenge you, crazy guy, to at least be crazy about something that matters instead of some worthless bullshit like games.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I'm sure Orv hasn't posted that much

Holy poo poo.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Drifter posted:

Maybe they deliberately put out a buggy game in order to encourage people to buy it and register their purchase so they could download the patches.

It's cdpr/gog, you don't have to register to download patches. Hell, some dev from CDPR even posted on various piracy websites in comments on various witcher 3 files up for 'preload' that they'll be able to play on the 19th and where to download the patch.

e: Well, someone claiming to be a dev, at least. There were screenshots in the other thread of the posts.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 16, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

shrike82 posted:

Wow, looking good.

That is old as poo poo and from the original preview, so uh.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Oh my god is this thread going to turn to poo poo again.

I'm not so sure, what he's trying to do is pretty obvious.

Less than 30 hours left, hold it together thread.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

It's done, game of the year 2015 right here.

Congratulations Comte.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

VanillaGorilla posted:

PC Stream looks fantastic outside of all the weird commercialized twitch poo poo that dude has going on. He's like 5 minutes into the starter area and he already found a world event that Vinny and Alex missed on their playthrough.

It's also readily apparent that this game is going to be even rougher on people that obsessively have to loot everything than Witcher 2 was, let's all pray for a no weight/autoloot mod quickly.

I hope it's just a setting to edit in a config or something (the weight limit, I mean).

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

CottonWolf posted:

I really hope Gwent is good. I can't be worse than dice poker, I suppose, but still.

How dare you, dice poker was great.

Now let me just throw these dice across the room accidentally.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Arglebargle III posted:

Geralt's right, they would have taken his head as proof so his plan was a mess from the start.
There's another way to solve it.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

The scale of the conflict is completely different.

I think that while initially the nilfgaardians were certainly the bad guys, at the point where the game is set they are a way, way better option than radovid.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Krogort posted:

What is in this Cave ?

It is guarded by lvl31 Wild Hunt ghosts and I encountered a walled door barring my way after a while, the minimap hint that there is a bunch of stuff behind that door including a ?.

It's used for some endgame story related stuff.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Metanaut posted:

New patch is up for PS4.

7.5GB. :eyepop:

Where's my pc patch ahhhhh I want to play!

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

The Sharmat posted:

For people on really borderline rigs (like me), is there a noticeable performance improvement post patch?

It's not out on pc yet so we don't know.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Well, gog galaxy is broken for me and I can't download the patch yet.

Cdpr you're killing me.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
They nerfed/fixed fall damage, holy poo poo in all the patch notes I missed that I guess.

This is the best patch.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone else care to throw down the gauntlet and declare this the best game ever made? Because that's what I'm doing right now.

I did that after playing like 10 hours and then doubled down on it a week later after I beat the game.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Dick Trauma posted:

I didn't play W1, and I made it maybe a third of the way through W2 because I didn't enjoy the combat. Does that mean W3 would be a bad choice for me?

The combat is significantly better in this, like, way, way better. Get this game.

e: It is seriously, out of the last ten years, the game that will probably be most revered as a future classic. It's incredible and shouldn't be missed by anyone, in my opinion.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

ymgve posted:

Playing Witcher 3 makes me wish the next Elder Scrolls game was coming out soon. While Witcher 3 definitely wins on overall prettiness, the writing and quest design front, some things were done much better in Skyrim:

- Much better in-game map function. The Skyrim 3D map made it very easy to get a "feel" of the topography of the world, in contrast with Witcher 3's zero-topography map.
- Few generic NPCs. Almost every NPC in Skyrim (Apart from guards etc) was named, and most had at least some backstory, in contrast with Witcher 3's hundreds of "Villager" NPCs.
- More varied architecture. Sure, there was a lot of copy-pasting in both games, but the cities/towns of Skyrim often had building interiors exclusive to that region.
- Better towns/villages. In Witcher 3, there's basically Novigrad, Oxenfurt, Kaer Trolde, and several dozen interchangeable villages. Nothing in Skyrim compares to the scale of Novigrad, but all towns have more personality than the Witcher villages.
- Better dungeons and caves. Almost all of the caves in Witcher are like one corridor, then a big chamber. There are like, half a dozen actual complex dungeons in the game. In contrast, in Skyrim the average cave/dungeon was pretty long, and even though they were samey due to all the prefabs, it felt like you actually was going deep underground in them.
- More interesting loot. Apart from the Witcher School gear, there's not really much unique and interesting equipment in the game. In contrast: Daedric artifacts.
- Better flower picking. seriously why does picking a flower open a loot window just put it straight into my inventory geez cdprojekt

edit: sorry, totally forgot about Crow's Perch, that's another quite unique town.

Is this a fake post?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Malcolm XML posted:

dear cd projekt please hire fromsoft's combat designers for witcher game remakes, tia

definitely please don't do this.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The major problem with M&KB is dodge on alt. If you have a button on the side of your mouse set it to that, and then I'd really recommend M&KB, otherwise controller.

I think that one keybinding is responsible for about a good 1/3 of the griping about the combat.

The first thing I tell anyone starting the game is to switch the dodge and roll keys, so dodge is on space and roll is on alt.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Palpek posted:

Watch out as people on the Steam forums report performance drops and crashes after installing the patch. Some of it may be due to mods but still it's a bit risky atm.

Performance does seem a bit worse from the few minutes I spent running around, but nothing dire. Game wouldn't even boot for me until I uninstalled all my mods so I'm gonna wait to play for a bit in the hopes that a couple key ones get fixed quickly.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Quote-Unquote posted:

So yeah horse racing is even more broken in BaW, race won't even start for me after reload or restart :( oh well, there are like a billion more things to do in the meantime.

I've had zero issues with horse racing, both with the patch alone and now with blood and wine. Something might be up with your install or mods or something.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Palpek posted:

What I'm doing is I'm stretching this B&W playthrough reallllllly thin and praying that Cyberpunk releases sooner than later.

Well, good luck with that.

See you in 2022

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Palpek posted:

Well, I didn't know until now.

They added it with the big semi enhanced edition patch IIRC, so don't worry, you're not crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Would Geralt really put himself at that much risk for justice that really doesn't mean much? I mean they both got chumped by peasants with pitchforks. That probably means Cat Witcher's a badass. Would he really risk fighting a witcher to the death for the gently caress of it?

yes dude, he would.

Geralt literally spends most of his time risking his rear end to settle situations like this, regardless of whether or not the other guy was a witcher he was clearly a monster and it's well within Geralt's character to kill him because of his actions, him hunting down and killing a monster after the monster killed a bunch of people (ie, the situation is already 'over') is not remotely uncommon, and especially given this monster's clear propensity for this type of action, hinting that it's not the first time and it won't be the last.

Add to that that it's clearly in his own best interest to deal with this problem, a witcher who has a history of brutally murdering shitloads of innocent people for no good reason isn't really the kind of thing you want running around when you're also a witcher, considering how badly they often get treated already.

Gonna get mighty hard to find a job or a place to sleep if the cat witcher keeps killing whole villages. Nobody is gonna want to hire you or put up with you if there starts to be a pattern of "village asks for witcher, whole town mysteriously and brutally murdered".