Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I noticed that there's a copy of a very well known medieval crane from Gdansk, Poland in the docks of Novigrad:

The same building was modelled in Witcher 2 in Flotsam:

Here's the actual photo of the building:

For a historical anecdote it's worth mentioning that the crane's mechanism was powered by people running in a giant version of a hamster wheel (very Witcher-fitting, eh?):

I like seeing things like this in games, it would be cool to see what real-life counterparts were used as references for some of the more prominent building models in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think the inventory system is worse than Witcher 2 - at least there I could sort things by name, weight, price and amount in an descending/ascending order and here it's just a giant pile sorted by type. Also how they managed to make those 'new item' stars practically invisible and not helpful in any way is beyond me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh poo poo, the Gwent cards DLC is up, I forgot to check the DLC page, this is going to be great.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Avalerion posted:

Nah it's lame, only changes the graphics on the existing cards.
Ah, a shame, the description made it sound like the abilities of the new cards are different.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Azazell0 posted:

Just learned about the polish TV show. Is it actually any good, or more like Hercules? "The legendary journeys of Geralt of Rivia"?
It's better than Hercules and has actually good actors. The casting was also pretty good. However they had small budget and it shows in the production values so the events didn't get the presentation they deserved and there are some really janky moments. Also lol at the monster make-up. If you must watch it then go for the series and not the theatrical movie, overall the whole thing doesn't come close to the quality of the games.

Still the series is much closer in its look to Witcher 3 than to the previous games:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I love the little random white-knight quests in the streets of Novigrad where some dude(s) harass women in a couple of typical RPG gaming moments but when you step in it ends with you either being insulted for not minding your own business or you being straight up wrong about doing so (the roleplaying between a whore and her client).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I just hope the expansions expand Gwent too. It would be sweet to get more counter cards or people cards with more complex abilities.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Konig posted:

Struggling with the first Gwent bloke you meet beyond the tutorial dude. He's absolutely rolling me in the first round and then winning because I have no cards. Is this one of those times where I should come back later when I've pay to winned a good deck and poop all over him?
You will get beat in Gwent for some time. Just buy every card you see in any shop/inn and you will still get your rear end handed to you if you don't use some basic strategy of remembering that you have 3 rounds to win with one hand. However spending all your money on cards might prove difficult in the starting area where it's not that easy to get a lot of money.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I just did the Letho come-back quest and man does his plan to appear to have died not make any sense whatsoever. I mean even Geralt points out to him that the bounty hunters could have made sure they killed him or cut his head off after he "dies" (which would 100% happen considering his infamy) and Letho agrees but then he continues talking about his cunning plan and how Geralt spoiled it as if that didn't matter.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Well yeah but Geralt wasn't in on the plan so the entire thing hanged on Geralt interfering one way or another anyway while he was asked not to do anything at all.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Fhqwhgads posted:

From what I've been reading, medium armor + signs seems to be underpowered compared to swords + alchemy, so is the light vs heavy armor more of an aesthetic choice, or are people going all in on either light or heavy but not both? Granted I only just got to Vizima so I'm still in the very beginning of the game, I'm just trying to do some planning. My ability points have been going to potions and the mind control sign for dialogue options so far. I'm still not sure if I should be doing light or heavy swordfighting just yet.
There's a respec potion so don't sweat it. It costs 1000 so it's not even that bad.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

CVagts posted:

Really dumb question: if the game lets me dismantle something (like texts for contracts, old quest items like the xenovox, etc), it should be safe to dismantle, right? I won't accidentally dismantle a quest item that I need later?
This question isn't that dumb as in Witcher 2 potion crafting ingredients would get filled up with quest items with no warning and you were a click away from using them on some random Swallow.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm still mostly riding around the map doing side quests and not going too deep into the main quest but so far a short list of references I've encountered myself: Pulp Fiction, Lord of the Rings, Twilight, Asterix, Monthy Python and the Holy Grail. The game is so big that this doesn't take away from its atmosphere by the slightest.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Huge thanks to MagusDraco for Necrodancer :3:. I really wanted toplay this you own.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Another tip for people beginning the game that I haven't seen mentioned - you can easily kill whole groups of enemies that outlevel you if you do it from horseback. Remember that when you hold the left mouse button during a fight while sitting on a horse - action will go into slow-motion and Geralt will hold the sword up ready to swing and it's really easy to hit people this way. I'm bolding that as I only discovered it by accident. As a bonus you will decapitate everybody and it's pretty sweet.

It's harder with monsters as your horse gets spooked but now with the free DLC there are some good relatively cheap sets you can buy even in prologue that make the horse brave enough for this tactic to be feasible. It's so easy to clear bandit/deserter camps or monster nests this way even being 10 levels behind your enemies that it's not even funny as you almost don't get hit.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Greenplastic posted:

Good ol' Roach working out

What's up, this happened to me today:

It's a strong horse.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Skilleddk posted:

This is seriously the best game I've ever played. I liked Witcher 1 and 2, but never finished them. This is a whole other level, I cannot loving stop playing. It's summer, friends are asking me to go to the beach and drink beers and all I'm doing is playing loving Witcher 3.
Yeah, CD Projekt RED just entered maestro level with this game. There's not a sinlge wasted dialogue or monster fight, the stories and their interconnections are the deepest plots I've seen in an RPG, it just all comes together in a way that is only possible to a team that has done AAA+ games in the past but now decided to go beyond that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Generic Monk posted:

In other news I really should've replayed the previous games (or at least 2) before playing this; in my struggle to remember the exact events of the second game I said I killed Letho (because I remembered him being a Bad Nasty Man) but then I remembered he was actually kind of a baller and I'd like to have met him under better circumstances. oops
I pretty much chose all the options that let more people live so that I get more content in Witcher 3. I remembered exactly who I killed in Witcher 2 and why but if said that somebody died then the only thing I'd accomplish is not getting an extra cameo.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I must say this game has incredible Polish version. Normally I hate playing games in Polish as they're badly written or the voice acting sucks (although the previous Witcher games were ok I guess) but people who did this one are straight up genius.

The dialogues and voice acting are really great but it's the random open world conversations and one-liners that regularly make me laugh like a maniac. I have no idea if the English version is like because the whole thing is built on the creative use of swear words, neologisms, slang, words associated with certain Polish social groups or sometimes even very vague and strictly Polish references.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Snuffman posted:

Wait...WHAT?

Anything good? Or just random monster bits?
You can just go back to the nest markers, the content is stiil there waiting to be picked up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

For people who own the Tabletop Simulator: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=458067385

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

how me a frog posted:

I CAN wrap my head around "let them come to you", the problem is, often they won't, and you're stuck fighting a gaggle of enemies about as threating as two goats and a hare, for 3 minutes.

This is NOT defensible.
So you answered a single argument and moved on with the outrage? If the crossbow doesn't work for you then take them down with witcher signs aka the basic gameplay mechanism. The game gives you plenty of ways of getting flying enemies down onto the ground and all I'm seeing is a guy furiously swinging a sword in the air under a swarm of circling harpies :downs:.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

This is probably one of my top 10 favorite games of all time right now. Anyone else?
It's currently number 1 for me. It shares this spot with a couple other games though which are hard for me to compare to as I played them quite some time ago.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

That quest is hilarious.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Honest Thief posted:

How the heck the crossbow becomes an instant kill weapon underwater and outside it just pokes drowners out? I kept avoiding using the crossbow because it never did that much damage out of water, but now getting those smugled crates is way easier
The crossbow has been specifically put into the game against underwater and flying creatures. It makes absolutely no sense to use it during regular fights but in those 2 instances it's crazy effective.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I think the particular region's ? map points appear after you read the notice board. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So cluttering your inventory with books and poo poo is not really worth it, just sell them for the 1-5 crowns to the next merchant you run across.
Or better sell them to the book merchant on the main Novigrad square. Not the one with an actual building but a guy standing on the square. He's paying way better for books.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The bug that randomly makes diving not trigger when you press the dive button until you reload the game is getting on my nerves.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I love how Polish the environments of the game are. People from the west playing this game probalby just see this as some sort of medieval fantasy setting but this game just looks like rural Poland but instead of contemporary buildings there's traditional Polish folk architecture, decoration and medieval structures based on some of the still existing Polish counterparts. The lighting, landscapes, sights, terrain, flora are all spot on with how some of the parts of the country look.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Madcosby posted:

Just beat it. 44 hours
I wonder how this is possible. Did you skip all the dialogues or didn't bother with most of the side quests/witcher contracts/witcher set missions?

Even howlongtobeat.com lists the main story alone as 39 hours on average.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Cripes, I must be a slowpoke. I clocked in at a full 100 hours with shitloads of stuff left undone.
Nah, that's normal:

Even the rushed run of the main story+side content sits at 51 hours and he needed 7 hours fewer. That's like super rushed which is why it made me wonder what his gameplay style was like.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

mcbexx posted:

Sure. But he seems to be complaining a LOT.
If a game keeps pushing my buttons - and according to his posts, it does for him - I just put it down.
You can enjoy a thing and still have problems with it and post about it. It's ok.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The books are also about Geralt maturing. He isn't an already estabilished personality, his experiences change him and his attitude towards things like death, war, his own job, his way of life and the lives of his friends/family shifts dramatically. In the end this change weighs heavily on his most important and final decisions. This is why the Witcher books are really amazing books in general and not just in the fantasy genre.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Nien posted:

My two bits after getting half way through the books.
It actually gets worse and more bleak later.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Earwicker posted:

so I am new to this series and have been mostly enjoying the game but what is up with the dude's voice? it's the exact same "growled whisper" used by the dudes in Deus Ex and in the Batman movies and its very silly and very distracting.

I really don't understand why people make games/movies with people who talk like this or what it is supposed to signify but in the case of this game it definitely takes away from what would otherwise be cool atmosphere
In all honesty you're the first person I've seen annoyed by Geralt's voice. Maybe there are more people who just don't post about it but it's a criticizm that doesn't really come up.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rycalawre posted:

Thats what Ive been doing, with the exception of Moon Dust which I dont have. Best Ive managed on the second fight is killing 1 of the 5 wraiths.
It seems you need to level up a little, using Yrden, oils and potions correctly should do the trick so maybe you're over your head when it comes to character level/equipment.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I'm loving this game but goddamn does it need a robust inventory ui revamp. Let us sort by price, weight, amount and name (even Witcher 2 had this). Divide the grid into rows of subcategories that you can hide. At this moment it really looks like they thought "one big gently caress-off grid worked for Diablo so it will work here" but Diablo didn't have a fraction of these item. poo poo, Skyrim had a better inventory system (and it was bad) and I'm sure it had fewer item types (especially crafting).

Also let us buy crafting components from the crafting window if the merchant has them. Add a little button next to the missing ones when the guy has them in store and bam, a lot of tedium in the game gone.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

My next playthrough will be a 'not getting involved' run only doing what I'm really forced to. I wonder what kind of ending this gives.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Tony Montana posted:

No, it doesn't make sense and it's frustrating. As I said, it looks amazing and I've got a new rig so I'll keep going and perhaps it will reveal itself as the amazing flower of modern open RPG that some of the people here think it is.
There are single questlines in Witcher 3 like Family Matters that have deeper stories, more realistic characters and better dialogues than anything Bethesda has ever created so no, I don't agree. There's a level of storytelling and character interactions here and themes that Skyrim or Oblivion don't even know exists (which are also in comparison giant fetch quest simulators while you mention that as an argument against Witcher 3).

I get that you don't like the game but trying to find some objective measure that it's bad like saying that its writing is on the level of fanfiction or intellectually not engaging isn't true if you start comparing it to Dragon Age or Bethesda games. I mean yeah, I wouldn't compare the best video game writing to a book but in this medium Witcher 3 is pretty outstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

A fetch quest is when you're told to get something, you go somewhere, fight some monsters, get the thing, go back and receive your reward aka Bethesda school of game design. Little variety to the formula, maybe some flavor books here and there but just quest after quest with barely more to do than this.

Witcher 3 still has people tell you to go see/research/find something but what this game does with these quests is what makes it different. On your journey to see/research/find things you'll (almost) always experience something that breaks the pattern: a new direction of the quest emerges and changes its goal/you discover a new neat custom quest when you get to the place/the quest has a lot of character and reveals something about the game world or even main character/you don't have to bring the thing back after all for 'reasons'/quest takes you to a completely new location in the middle of it etc. etc. The game utilizes tons of ideas here that allow it to break the usual script of go get the thing - fight some monsters - fight a boss - go back, which is the very reason for having a name for this kind of quest in the first place.

If you call every quest that starts with 'go to this other place to find something' a fetch quest then you might as well rename the RPG genre to Fetch Quest Game. In this genre people will send you off to adventures with goals at the end, it's the world of fantasy after all. Fetch quests are a lazy way to give you a goal while at the same time killing the adventure part - Witcher 3 does everything it can to keep that adventure part alive.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 22, 2015