Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone know of a good decision tree of important items from Witcher 2? Thinking of playing through it this weekend to build a save for 3 and figure I'll try and make sure I hit all the high points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

BadLlama posted:

So I am level 8 and I am still using the silver sword you can craft in White Orchard, have I missed a crafting pattern somewhere? The next silver sword I can craft I need to be level 12. Going from 2 or 3 to 12 in patterns seems like I missed something.

There are big gaps that you can occasionally fill with a random relic drop but in this case it sounds like you haven't found the Griffin set. I don't remember it's exact level, but I think it was level 8, and I went from the intro gear (and random drops) to the Serpent set, to Griffin (around 8), and now I'm on Feline/Enhanced Griffin (14).

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

I should really advance the main quest, huh. I haven't seen either of these.

Anyone found nekkers anywhere? I haven't caught a glimpse of them yet and I want their hearts.

Immediately north of your starting location in Velen is a Nekker nest. It's the sign post just south of the left most bridge leading across the river to the northern half of the zone.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Is there a better/faster way to amass tons of alchemy ingredients than tediously walking from place to place and mashing "E"? Someone needs to port over that mod from Skyrim that just grabs stuff automatically as you walk by it.

Also: Is alchemy even worth it in this game?

If you're playing on the first two difficulties you can mostly ignore it. Just randomly grabbing stuff occasionally will give you enough to get the basic potions/bombs/gear. Above that and it is pretty critical for the bonuses and abilities, as well as crafting the best gear.

Also you can buy most stuff you need for pretty cheap rather than collecting it, and the vast majority of random plants on the ground are worthless.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'll offer a different perspective on the combat, I actually don't see how people can stand to keep the difficult up. I started at the highest and gradually stepped down to story mode. The idea of preparing for each and every fight was great but it gets exceedingly tedious and very little changes. Wraiths for example, even the special contract/named ones, don't really have any significant difference in execution and higher difficulties didn't mean the fight was harder only that I had to spend more time being prepared for the fight. Did I have the absolute highest oil I could get at the time, or was what I had good enough? Did I have a good combination of potions and decoctions lined up, with the skill points invested in my abilities to avoid overdose? Was my gear slotted with the right rune stones and sigils for what I needed in the fight? So on and so forth.

Once you go to that stage and actually started the fight it all boiled down to learning the animations and how many screws up could you afford before reloading. To be fair that's about all I expect out of a game because going beyond that level of AI is really outside the scope of even a AAA title but front loading all the effort just made the fight itself seem more tedious than usual in other games.

After about 15-20 hours of that I just couldn't handle it anymore and had to start taking down the difficulty just so I wasn't playing fight prep simulator.

Edit:
If all fairness I could just be getting tired of repetitive difficulty. I seem to be doing this more and more in games. I was never a big fan of reflex based challenges/difficulty in the first place and I've reached the point where I don't even try anymore. At least this game, for a while, had me interested enough to prove I can still do it if I could ever justify those forms of difficulty being worth time.

nessin fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 28, 2015

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

GrossMurpel posted:

I don't prepare at all for fights, sidestepping is usually enough to win anything. And the more you level up, the more OP Geralt gets, no matter what build you have. I couldn't imagine anything but DM once you reach the last tier of whatever ability tree you focus on.

I stopped right about the time I had enough skill points and slots to start combos for stun locks or health regen and I saw the writing on the wall. I guess my point is why bother with keeping the difficulty up once you reach that point? I easily saved myself at least 10 hours, and based on other accounts maybe even 20-30 hours, over the course of the game by dropping the difficulty when I wasn't getting anything out of keeping it up. Even if I did step back on the preparation by the time I was wearing a full set of superior gear with skills to buff regular attacks (on the lower difficulties) I was one shotting enemies rather than spending 60+ seconds dancing around them and chipping away at health without feeling at risk. That is really what confuses me, the idea that the game is "easy" at Death March so you're keeping it that way? Either force yourself to make it challenging or just drop the difficult to you cruise through the easy combat at an even faster pace.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Asuron posted:

Guys I'm still doing the Bloody Baron quests where I'm now searching for his wife and my game time says I've played for over twenty hours. I keep getting distracted by all these Witcher contracts and cool side quests and I'm worried I'm going to end up overlevelled for all the main quest stuff later on if I keep doing this. Am I right to be concerned or can I keep doing side quests as much as I want. I mean by now I would've just gone ahead and progressed, but quests I thought meant nothing end up with things like meeting Lethos and I really don't want to overlook them.

You're going to outlevel something no matter what, unless you very carefully only do a few side activities as needed. However your level barely matters from an enemy perspective unless they're too high (red) or too low (grey). A few levels higher than a contract enemy or random encounter isn't going to be significant.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Just finished the DLC, and I have to say overall I liked it even more than the main quest (I felt it went too far off the rails at the end). They did a good job painting Olgierd as an evil rear end in a top hat and they never really backed down on that while leaving you at the end of question what kind of person he'd have been without the pact, someone worth saving or not.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

gently caress, super pissed to learn that you can't get the viper gear if you don't buy it the first time. I wanted to save my money for the auction and the game gave no indication that the vendor would disappear afterward. That doesn't happen for any of the other important diagrams and there's really no reason for her to, other than to dick over players.

Aren't they only like 200 total? I figured you would be able to pick them up latter but once I saw the price I decided to say gently caress it and how could anyone not afford it as chump change by that point?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
At any point in Blood and Wine do you need a strong Gwent deck? I like the game but I didn't have my old save so I started from the pre-built one and don't really want to grind out a deck again if it isn't needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Zerilan posted:

So about how does it take to blitz through the first two games for the story? I've heard the gameplay isnt' near as polished as w3 but still kind of want to see the whole plotline.

Just watch a video summary of Witcher 1, it's not worth it to even blitz. Witcher 2 can be fun as it's basically the in-dev version of Witcher 3's combat and so it can be tolerable to rush through the story if you really want to.