Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

jim truds posted:

I really would love to know who managed the cutscenes. The Witcher is one of the few games I've seen that knew how to artistically frame a shot.

I think most games frame shots primarily not to overload consoles with too much stuff. It's hard to get a decent cinematographic scene when your FOV is like 60 degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

brakeless posted:

Some reasons to enjoy Witcher 3, the game.

Roach, the badly behaved magic horse.

Pretty sunsets.

Nothing elevates an emotional cutscene quite like a deer wondering into the shot and obscuring most of it with its rear end.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Also higher level enemies in Witcher don't just turn into ridiculous bullet sponges, which is the main problem with Bethesda scaling.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It is! But personally I!d recommend playing it after the main plot and before Hearts, because then it feels a bit like Geralt's Mediterranean vacation between assignments.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

At the very least they needed to spend more time showing us why we should feel sympathy/empathy for him.

I think ultimately the point of that was to provide an arc for your friend who has to get over acting like a naive fool with misguided good intentions, and also to create a dynamic between Geralt and his friend (will you trust his judgment, or do things your way?), rather than to make the villain feel sympathetic.

SirSamVimes posted:

I would actually advise 100% against this. Blood and Wine is intended to be a conclusion, not an intermission.

Yes, but it's also a nice counterpoint to the tense conclusion of the main plot.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Transmetropolitan posted:

The screen? It was showing the actual Polish series

"Brazilian store managers stumped as Witcher merchandise sales plummet country-wide "

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

I did grab the goty earlier, before I dive in, are there any points of no return I need to worry about or will they all be clearly spelled out before you proceed?

There will be a warning screen.

But most things will remain available after ending the main content. Just finish secondary quests (not treasure hunts and contracts) if you think any sound interesting. Few may disappear.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nycticeius posted:

Speaking of Blood and Wine - how long is the main quest? I mean, do we have any rational pauses in the investigation to set off and do a ton of of sidequests, or is it a frenetic race to the end like the later part of the main campaign? I really hate the "Sure, the loving elf is on the mountain next Sabbath, but hold on, just lemme have one more fistfight" moments.

Tnere will be a point when you are presented with a very clear ultimatum, so it narratively doesn't make sense to do side stuff after that. But beforehands I felt there wasn't much pressure to keep things going. I mean, she gave you a vineyard, does she expect you not to take the occasional siesta there, investigate the cellars or something?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Food is hugely plentiful so you don't need to draw any particular item out. For more serious injuries you'll be using Swallow anyway, an essentially bottomless health potion.

On the second hardest difficulty I was able to go through the game on Gourmet alone, without needing Swallow almost at all. It's an incredible quality of life skill, since it means you can chug a bottle of water once a while, and you suddenly don't have to watch out for damage nearly as much, which also means you are less likely to get killed by the ridiculous fall damage.

Quen is very powerful if you are looking for a strong build, because eventually you are likely going to get some items / skills that progressively scale up your damage output as long as you avoid taking hits - and hits against your shield don't count. Also the combat skill that gives you back your health if it gets below zero, as long as you have some adrenaline, is possibly overpowered, because there's also skills to give you free adrenaline, and to give you bunch of adrenaline for dodging.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 30, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Personally my issue with the skill system is that swords are such an obvious backbone of any strategy, that the requirement to dump points into other trees to unlock their high level skills makes them non-viable. Or in other words, yes, investing into fourth level skills is not worth it. I need those sweet sword stats, man.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm pretty sure the dimetrium bomb also deactivates invisibility on enemies, which the article doesn't mention, and makes it relatively useful since invisibility is the most frustrating enemy ability.

E: Or am I thinking moon dust? I could swear dimetrium does the same thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lareine posted:

They were still a little late on the take for O'Dimm's final riddle. I mean, it's OBVIOUSLY a mirror. I'm poo poo at riddles but that one was easy as hell.

Well, the riddle isn't figuring out the meaning of the riddle.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Patrolling Ofier makes you wish for the White Frost.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought CD Projekt Red was a subsidiary of CD Projekt, the Polish distributor and producer. Have they been spun off as a wholly separate company?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hopper posted:

So I cleared all of lower Velen, learned that Ciri had gone to Novigrad, went there, found Triss, did some quests, aced the Fists of Novigrad thing (fist fights seem very easy compared to other fights) then played some cards. Beating the smug Merchant in upper Novigrad (the one that sells certain artifacts) took 6 tries and then I got me arse kicked repeatedly in the high stakes tournament in the first round.

rant:
HOLY poo poo are spy based decks ever annoying. I though I had accepted gwent for what it is and willed myself to play it for the experience (and the card cheevo tbh) but got drat was I annoyed. While I realize I am probably WAY too early in the game to play in the tournament, the whole spy based card multiplier that guy pulls is so annoying. Every single time I had him cornered in the last round he uses weird tricks to pull out 2-3 spies and doubles his cards to kick my rear end.
/rant

Anyway, good thing is I saved before entering the tournament so I went to check what these artifacts I bought are all about. Turns out I completely failed to realize that there is a rather large area east across the river from Oxenfurt that I can explore...

Question regarding crafting/alchemy recipes:
When a recipe is sold by a merchant, does that mean I can only get it by buying it or can I also find them all in the wild? Furthermore, if both is possible and I already have found a recipe that I can potentially buy as well, will there be an indication whether I already have said recipe when looking at it in a vendors inventory? (i.e. "You already read this".)

Go to Skellige and get all the easily accessible cards before you get into the high stakes championship.

I see lots of people hate spy decks, but I do quite like them, they make the game longer, but I do enjoy the swapping of cards and building of a hand, it's satisfying.

The area East of Oxenfurt is for high level players who are doing one of the DLCs.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, it's counter-intuitive, but there's no limit on travel between maps. Though I think you may need to do some story quests in Skellige to unlock the way back, but I'm not sure if that's true, and how many.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's possibly the best single quest line in any game, depressing or not. I love the constant tension of trying to figure out the truth about Olgierd.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

monster on a stick posted:

I haven't even been to a quarry yet or even heard of a quarry.

Yeah, it happened to me too, unfortunately it is possible to complete the sub-quests of this chain before even triggering the main quest. In the future don't get into fights in places the give you updates on various stages of the Big Feet quest, and leave them for when you stumble upon the quest NPC.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I AM BRAWW posted:

Also where is the best spot to stock up on Redenian Herbal to make White Gull for all these fuckin' potions?

The cheapest should be at the inns of Skellige, but money shouldn't be a real concern. Just cycle them, and take a couple of days of rest if you run out of stock.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
With a card like that and a low resolution, you should be able to get literally anything to work. Experiment, I find the in game settings good enough, and frankly I think the advanced, externnal settings fiddling brings a marginal improvement at best.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I have a 1070 at 1440p with all NVidia features on, there's no noticeable slowdown. Go for whatever you want, at worst you'll have to marginally lower your settings.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It just takes an emotionless mutant with a blanket immunity to poisons to bruteforce his way through that curse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
When you feel the instinct to "get one more hit in before I dodge", dodge immediately. Packs are much quicker to envelop you and drain your HP than one would expect, in my experience.

Also while dodging is usually preferable to rolling, use rolling to get away from packs so you can fight individual enemies rather than the whole thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If you are having rouble with health, make sure to get the Gourmet perk. It almost trivialized healing for me for the entire game. As long as you can keep dodging for a couple of secs, you will be fine with it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's one of the brown, all purpose perks. It makes all edible items last for 20 minutes instead o the default 30s (iirc)

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 26, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh, I didn't know that, I never played the unexpanded version.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

10 Beers posted:

Help me! Skyrim is on sale for $30 and I KNOW it won't hold up to W3. Help me not fall into the trap!

Why the gently caress would you even consider buying Skyrim of all things in tyool 2016

For 30 bucks, even! Maybe for 5.99 or something.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The "new version" just adds things that always were available via mods anyway.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Gwent is good and has just enough depth for a distraction minigame.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lareine posted:

You're acting like anybody would side with Djikstra

I was absolutely angry at him that he forced me into killing him with his stupid unreasonable scheming. I liked the guy, but enough is enough.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
%

Commie NedFlanders posted:

second, i don't really want any spoilers, i love the challenge of exploring this world and having to figure out how to survive and make my way around and develop skills. but when i play these games i am a definite item hoarder and i'm struggling to manage my carry weight limit

basically, my question is, which common items are worth picking up and hoarding? for whatever reason, broken into components or used to make potions or whatever

No > 0 weight items are worth hoarding, unless they are giving to you as unique quest rewards. And even those probably won't be too useful to you 99% of the time.

What you should do is make witcher gear sets and keep upgrading them, they are better than the usual stuff.

As for crafting materials, you will want as much dimetrium as you can get for the DLCs, if you end up buying those.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Nov 28, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mostly mean how do you access them. Is it like a standalone thing or a new place I go in game. If this question becomes obvious while playing the game, just let me know that.

You will find relevant contracts on bulletin boards.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SirSamVimes posted:

Gourmet is basically cheating though.

Eh, personally I think it just makes the game more user friendly by reducing routine maintenance. It doesn't make healing rates better, it just makes it so you don't have to constantly keep your eye on a timer, and automatically heals you outside combat so you don't have to bother with resting so much. Also because of the ridiculous fall damage, always being at full health can be a real lifesaver if Geralt accidentally falls to his death of a chair or something.

But yeah, it would have been nice if it for example unlocked a selection of expensive gourmet foods at inns, and the bonus only applied to those.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I AM BRAWW posted:

Having just gotten Corvo Bianco, would anyone like to explain what kind of "trophies" I can put on the little desks in front of my bed in the master bedroom? Also, are there a lot of paintings I might've missed? The only one that I recall being in my inventory had been Hemfart that I gave to Dandelion, and I have a Iris & Olg painting. Am I correct in realizing I cannot put this drat Caretaker Shovel up on a wall? :(

Trophies are obtained from various competitions. You will notice when you get one.

Paintings can be bought from some merchants, others will be obtained as quest rewards.

Weapons go on weapon racks, and I'm not sure if that particular one is compatible.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sanzuo posted:

For the first time I reloaded a save after a quest path split. During the conversation with Keira during 'For the Advancement of Learning', some dialogue option says something fairly innocuous like "I can't let you go" but for some reason it breaks out into a battle and forces you to kill her. I went back and managed to talk her out of the notes and let her leave.

It seemed strange to me that Geralt would be so miffed about being tricked, or that deception was even necessary at all. Why didn't Keira just ask Geralt "bring me the notes pretty please" as long as he was going to the tower and just tell him it was so she could find a cure.

In a game with a lot of good writing, this questline seemed really confusing to me.

She knows that Geralt knows that the notes are basically a documentation of a bio-weapons program, And Geralt, while he claims to be a neutral character, would never allow her to have them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm sure you always get it, but it may not be obvious, I don't remember for sure? The key is not to argue the morality of passing on those papers, it's to remind her that Radovid is going to kill her even if she presents him with an offering. Which makes sense, she has no reson to relent just because you asked nicely, but she is liable to give up upo realizing she can't restore her life as a luxury-surrounded court sorceress, which has been her sole motivation all alogn.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 4, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

On the other hand the notes aren't for a bio-weapon, but unethically obtained medical research.

Right, but the point is that the difference between a cure and a biological weapon is only in who gets to handle it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

omg chael crash posted:

I'm just leaving White Orchard and I feel like this game has way to many armor/weapon crafting ingredients and way too many flowers. Is there any guideline on what to keep/collect?

You will only need a couple of herbs of each kind.

Really the only things you should keep on your person at all time in small quantities are Redanian herbal, cherry cordial and mandrake cordial, which can only be purchased, never found, so it will save you some frantic shopping if you buy some when you see them even if you don't need them immediately.

As for armor and weapons crafting, keep pretty much everything, the high grade materials are rare, and in a pinch you can craft them from lower quality items, which is MUCH cheaper than buying them. NEVER throw away dimetrium or anything that can be broken up or upgraded to dimetrium.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
*talisman vibrates spasmodically*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Loose Ifer posted:

Well it seems this is exactly the game i'm looking for then. Hope the combat is passable.

It certainly is much better than Skyrim.