Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Magical Zero posted:

Is anyone else really struggling with the soft target lock with mouse/keyboard? It seems like the smallest of camera movements will change the target you're attacking, even if the new target is outside your POV. And since every attack has these massively long animations I often find myself jumping in the wrong direction during combat with groups of enemies. It's ridiculously annoying. The hard target lock limits camera movement and visibility too much so I can't get comfortable with it either.

It looks like it's the softest of soft locks. Like, you have to aim into the direction of the enemy with WASD on top of being locked on to it. I've thrown many a igni into the opposite direction from the enemy because I was running that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Has anyone tried Focus + Adrenaline Burst for a signs build? Is it worth it or am I better off using two more blue skills with a blue mutagen?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

cram me sideways posted:

I have no idea how you can compare those games to this one.

Excessive use of detective vision, which they were talking about in the first place?
I liked it when I tried to get that old woman her pan back and she said "and they call ME kooky" when Geralt was mumbling about clues to himself.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

haris pilton posted:

I know now why almost everyone hates witchers in this game.
I'd be hella mad too if someone barged into my house and stole all my poo poo from under my nose.

"I'm mad with hunger" - peasant who I just stole two pieces of silver ore from

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Well he can't eat silver ore.

Can't or won't? :colbert:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Just installed patch 1.04. It more than tripled my loading times :wtc:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

nessin posted:

I'll offer a different perspective on the combat, I actually don't see how people can stand to keep the difficult up. I started at the highest and gradually stepped down to story mode. The idea of preparing for each and every fight was great but it gets exceedingly tedious and very little changes. Wraiths for example, even the special contract/named ones, don't really have any significant difference in execution and higher difficulties didn't mean the fight was harder only that I had to spend more time being prepared for the fight. Did I have the absolute highest oil I could get at the time, or was what I had good enough? Did I have a good combination of potions and decoctions lined up, with the skill points invested in my abilities to avoid overdose? Was my gear slotted with the right rune stones and sigils for what I needed in the fight? So on and so forth.

Once you go to that stage and actually started the fight it all boiled down to learning the animations and how many screws up could you afford before reloading. To be fair that's about all I expect out of a game because going beyond that level of AI is really outside the scope of even a AAA title but front loading all the effort just made the fight itself seem more tedious than usual in other games.

After about 15-20 hours of that I just couldn't handle it anymore and had to start taking down the difficulty just so I wasn't playing fight prep simulator.

Edit:
If all fairness I could just be getting tired of repetitive difficulty. I seem to be doing this more and more in games. I was never a big fan of reflex based challenges/difficulty in the first place and I've reached the point where I don't even try anymore. At least this game, for a while, had me interested enough to prove I can still do it if I could ever justify those forms of difficulty being worth time.

I don't prepare at all for fights, sidestepping is usually enough to win anything. And the more you level up, the more OP Geralt gets, no matter what build you have. I couldn't imagine anything but DM once you reach the last tier of whatever ability tree you focus on.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

nessin posted:

I stopped right about the time I had enough skill points and slots to start combos for stun locks or health regen and I saw the writing on the wall. I guess my point is why bother with keeping the difficulty up once you reach that point? I easily saved myself at least 10 hours, and based on other accounts maybe even 20-30 hours, over the course of the game by dropping the difficulty when I wasn't getting anything out of keeping it up. Even if I did step back on the preparation by the time I was wearing a full set of superior gear with skills to buff regular attacks (on the lower difficulties) I was one shotting enemies rather than spending 60+ seconds dancing around them and chipping away at health without feeling at risk. That is really what confuses me, the idea that the game is "easy" at Death March so you're keeping it that way? Either force yourself to make it challenging or just drop the difficult to you cruise through the easy combat at an even faster pace.

It's hilarious to stunlock enemies with your flamethrower who could kill you in two hits. Or having Quen active which absorbs more than 100% of your HP.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Has anyone found out whether Melt Armor for Igni ever does anything?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Andrast posted:

Does anyone know if the first Igni talent that reduces enemy armor works on everything or just humans enemies that have actual armor?

Didn't notice this post before I asked; To me it seems like melt armor never does anything, even while fighting against guys in full plate
Neither sword attacks nor subsequent sign attacks seem to do more damage after you use Igni on them.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahah holy loving poo poo!

I just got attacked by three bandits on their horses. So I used the knockback to get them off, and ran up to attack one, and since he was on the ground I just loving stabbed him the face.

Even better: Use Igni to make the horse throw him off!

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Woozy posted:

A fun trick for Drowners is using Tawny Owl to spam Igni until one of them starts on fire, then throwing a Dragon's Dream bomb at him.

You mean using Igni once with 100% burn chance and laughing all day.
Didn't know you could throw Dragon's Dream on an already burning fire though, that's hella cool.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 29, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

WastedJoker posted:

Family Matters

gently caress me that was a grim ending - Anna dead, Baron dead and I've freed a demon horse!

Also....Uma isn't a monster :colbert:

Guess She Who Knows wasn't lying after all.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I remember that time I played a Souls game with spells that take 0.1 seconds to cast and insanely fast sidesteps.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Annath posted:

I just picked this up on Steam.

How do I tell it what choices I made in Witcher 2? I played W2 on the Xbox, so I picked "simulate save", but it never asked for my choices or anything.

It happens when you leave the first area (White Orchard), you will be summoned for an audience and interrogated. You cannot miss it.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
So what's the thread's opinion about this God of War clone?

Annath posted:

Ah, ok! I haven't left White Orchard yet.

Kinda blown away by the size of just the intro area... Glad I've got a while before classes start again...

I recommend clearing every question mark in this area so you know what they're all about and you can be further blown away in the real open world.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

No, they are both the same one I believe I will read their ability closer though and report back. Even so, having a duplicate leader card would be a waste of money correct?

The point of leader cards is that you can select one. Yes, they're all called the same but they have different abilities.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Perestroika posted:

On the way to the Defender of the Faith quest, right? For something that's supposedly doable at level 11, there sure is a whole lot of really deadly stuff on the road.

You can outrun the Griffin if he doesn't land directly behind you and makes Roach's fear level shoot up but good loving luck getting through that village at the chokepoitn with level 25 ghouls in it.
And then you circumvent the village and have to fight level 9 guys. I think that's the silliest placement of high-level enemies I've seen all game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Krogort posted:

3 of those 8 power bond catapult :heysexy:

Scorch :negative:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I guess I never really got a good answer to my initial question though which was how leader cards actually work. You pick one for the deck that is taken out immediately correct? I'm still in white orchard and have only played the scholar who teaches it to you.

There's a faction perk (for example, Scoia'tael go first in the first round and the North draws an additional card when they win a round). On top of that, you can play your leader card by clicking it and clicking it again when ti comes up.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I wonder what the game would be like without the bug. The main quests are already much too easy and I can only imagine if I were 4 levels higher, they would be trivial.

Yeah you get overleveled really quickly.

Vehementi posted:

I just wish the high level enemies were actually high level because they're powerful. I should never see level 35 bandits or drowners, or level 3 griffons. But lo and behold, later in the game for plot reasons I'm cutting through swathes of level 30 bandits that could each singlehandedly solve the world's problems and probably take on armies alone.

I just wish those high level enemies would just be insanely deadly because they kill you in one hit, not because you almost do no damage to them. If at least my 100% burn chance worked I'd be fine :(

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

That's not what I mean; I am asking a really stupid question that I could probably answer myself which is only one leader card goes into your deck when building one. Its not like randomly drawn at the beginning like normal cards, meaning that having a duplicate of the same foltest leader card is useless.

Yes but only if it's the exact same one (same abiltiy). You pick the leader card beforehand, just like you pick your realm, it's not random.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Anyone know of a journeyman weaponsmith in Velen or Novingard?

I think I crafted my unenhanced Griffin weapons in Oxenfurt because there simply wasn't another weaponsmith available.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Avalerion posted:

Where is that? I got White Orchard, Novingard and Velen on my map so far... Cheers.

It's part of Velen, the city in the river to the east.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Thunderbro posted:

Armorsmith at Crow's Perch, Weaponsmith in some shithole west or northwest of Crow's Perch.

The icons disappear permanently every time the smiths stop working, like every single night. I don't know if it's a bug or not but it's a pain in the rear end.

Yeah I went to that weaponsmith first, he's amateur level, not journeyman.
Is there even more than one journeyman smith? Looks to me like each level has only one smith and the amateurs are basically useless anyway.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Thunderbro posted:

There might be one in Novigrad too. He's a super pain in the rear end to find without an icon though.

Oh yeah might be.
http://www.ign.com/maps/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/velen-novigrad
There seem to be two in Novigrad, one is the master smith, never been to the one northwest of Hierarch Square.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Broose posted:

Meditating in their little combat zone might give you a nasty surprise. Drowners and wolves at least come back if you meditate sometimes. Certainly happened to me more than once.

The worst nasty surprise is dying to some wraiths, reloading your quicksave and the wraith who you killed before saving somehow having respawned.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Verranicus posted:

I want to do a second run of the game for my youtube channel, but before I started I was curious: What questions exactly are you asked to alter the setting when you choose to simulate a Witcher 2 save? I want to know if I can alter my actual save in any meaningful way or if it's not worth the trouble.

It's when you get interrogated by the general before you meet Emhyr. I don't think it affects anything besides which characters show up.

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm still confused as to how you can accidentally lock off experience rewards from every single secondary quest and contract. :psyduck:

Set a flag "don't give XP" because a quest was grey and forget to turn it off afterwards, maybe?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Hmmm boxing ehh. I tried that at an inn in Novigrad and got one-twod by some bottomfeeder named Georgeous George. :smith:

Just dodge and/or parry :psyduck:. Fist fighting is the easiest part of the game, even easier than winning with maxed Igni.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

Dude is on a trading card of fantasy trading card poker, no poo poo people are going to know poo poo like that.

I still wonder how that could be insulting.
Just like in the beginning of W2 "folk say they plough witches come the equinox!"
Oh no what a terrible accusation :confused: or was he just jealous?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Because it's a game almost entirely based on how many healers and spies you have in your deck, that has ill defined rules for what you're actually allowed to put in your deck.

Theoretically the only thing stopping Geralt from having a deck of 50 avellach cards is because he doesn't happen to have that many of those cards.

Yeah it's kinda intense to play against the few NPCs with a good deck but player vs player would just be endless spying, decoying and medicing.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Sign intensity numbers are wonky, after loading you pretty much have to re-equip every blue mutagen to get the numbers halfway right.
Is it just a display bug in the character window, or the underlying damage calculations :ohdear:

I'm like 90% sure it actually fucks up the calculations. Try to trigger the bug by loading a save and then taking out skills until you are at <100% burn chance for your Igni. It seems to me that's the actual chance, not just a display bug.
It's pretty silly but just take out all mutagens and put them back in to fix it every time.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Junkenstein posted:

Do you need to do this when you load the game, or every time you load a save?

Every time you load a save, including reloading after you die.
Just make a note of how high your intensity is and check if it's up there before every fight.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
The active shield is really loving great, no more eating 5 raw livers during a fight
Only sad thing is that explosive shield doesn't seem to reliably trigger with it

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Sweet. Love me that Gwent. I spoiled myself, and the autistic kid will get me my first hero card. I'm assuming he won't be easy.

Need a Gwent iOS app STAT. MORE GWENT.

More Gwent chat:

What decks are y'all mostly using?

Novigrad looked powerful at first, with its tie-breaking but now that I've got my decoy/holding back cards/not dumping everything first round...Novigrad doesn't seem as good. My free card for winning seems way more powerful as Gwent is all about card advantage.

Monsters, as I said before seem way too weak against cold.

Scoiatel seems interesting. I like the whole pick which line the troops go in theme. Not enough cards to use it as a real deck, yet.

Northern Realms, with all its spies, seems like the best choice overall. :shrug:

I think Nilfgaard (stop saying Novigrad you sillyhead :)) has the same number of spies (four) as Northern Realms but they generally have higher attack values. And yeah, that +1 card ability is loving nice, as is siege Foltest.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

GWENT SPOULER: if it's not a mission gwent game with some important player/a big quest but a simple game with a merchant, THE CARD YOU GAIN THE FIRST TIME YOU WIN IS RANDOMIZED. Didn't like the card you just gained? Reload.
Also yes fill your deck with antimelee weather cards if you play against a monster deck. Losing a round on purpose and getting the best cards back with decoys work well. Multiple "that dragon card" attacks thanks to decoy works too.
I am mostly using a northern kingdom with catapults, spies, heroes anti melee weather and decoy (for more spies) and the leader ability doubling the catapult damage. The Empire deck is nice once you have all the spies and the many "10" heroes, there are multiple "normal 10" ranged card you can double to 20 and medics too.

Oh yeah like I'm gonna reload a save and sit through Dandelion's narration again just to get a different card.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Triss "I would get tortured and risk my life to help my friends and you" Merigold vs. Yennifer "go get my stuff Geralt" of Vengerberg
what a choice
not

Triss "I don't give a poo poo about Ciri and would rather side with the Lodge" Merigold vs Yennefer "immediately drop everything and flip off Philippa to go find Ciri" of Vengerberg.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Wiseblood posted:

People who have a problem with Ciri's English voice are probably still traumatized by Dragon Age 2 (Jo Wyatt voiced female Hawke).

I thought femHawke had a silly lisp, am I remembering that wrong?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

I guess not giving a poo poo about Ciri aligns with my own interests.

unrelated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnLFECnr_1U

lmao axii-ing the guy instead of just heavy attacking again to break through his block
lmao picking up each item instead of using the "take all" option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Levantine posted:

lol if you don't Axii all the time for instant kills

Yeah I could see how he totally instantly killed that guy :v:
Sorry, everyone is too busy being on fire to be mind-controlled