Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

This thread sure went some places overnight.

VoLaTiLe posted:

My Witcher 3 game shipped yesturday if the Royal mail have their poo poo together I could get the game by Monday :drat:

And I'm getting PS4 version I don't care about the 8 bit graphics the game will be awesome

Our chiptune version of the soundtrack will be better than the shoddy "real" PC version anyway.

VanillaGorilla posted:

Back to on-topic discussion:

So most of the coverage has pointed to two large-scale explorable "zones" after White Orchard: the Skellige Isles, and No Man's Land. I think Comte hinted that there was a third large area that hadn't been showcased yet that he didn't want to spoil - do we have any idea what that is yet? Some other thread on NeoGAF linked to a video that showed that the map for Kaer Morhen looked like it was somewhere close to the size of W.O. Is that the third area? Or is it something that we haven't seen at all yet?

The second expansion adds a new large zone whenever it comes out. Maybe you're thinking of that?

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 13:05 on May 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

gently caress me, finally. I'm an aard and yrden man, myself.

Yrden was always my favourite sign. Quen was undoubtedly the best, but Yrden was more fun.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yaos posted:

Anybody know what's up with the PC version? People have gotten early copies, but people are saying you need to connect to GOG for the physical version to work. The webpage says the game does not require an Internet connection so I'm confused why it needs to connect to GOG.

There's one initial connection for pre-installed copies to validate and unlock the files. Any copies brought after Tuesday won't have that.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Drifter posted:

Quen by it's nature is basically giving you free attacks and extra health...It's great if you're bad at combat and get frustrated easily, it's not great if you want a challenge.

Chill out. There's literally no way to make a skill like that be both useful and not overpowered. If you nerf it to give it challenge to people who want a challenge, then it's useless to people who have a hard time with combat, with then makes it useless for both.

They seem to have attempted to balance it by making everything else better, which is better than nerfing quen in my view. You can drink swallow in combat again, there are skills on the alchemy tree that let you heal when you drink any potion, there's the defence tree in combat set. They've just given you more defensive options.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm probably gonna put my skillpoints around in a bunch of things. Swords is important because combat and I'll probably put a bunch into aard so I can knock fools around and tons of points into alchemy because I loving love getting drugged up in this game.

But mostly swords and potions, signs aren't that interesting to me but they are useful in a pinch.

Yeah. I was thinking mainly alchemy, then with a bit of Yrden empowerment on the side. If you're not killing people while high as gently caress as a witcher, you're doing it wrong.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I don't normally play games on the hardest difficulty, but this is a game where I probably will. The focus on preparation should hopefully make it manageable if you've taken everything into account in advance.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Meta-Mollusk posted:

I like that there is a Gwent card called "Poor loving Infantry".

I really hope Gwent is good. I can't be worse than dice poker, I suppose, but still.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Infinity Gaia posted:

Well, I mean, in 1 the best silver sword in the game was literally given to you by the Lady of the Lake in an extended fancy-rear end cutscene. I'd say that's pretty loving magical.

That whole area was bizarre. With the Lovecraft fan-fiction and Arthurian legend. It felt like it came from a different game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

iGestalt posted:

Neutral Witcher 2 path is interesting, too. It exists, but it's hidden. Witcher 2 is such a neat game.

You mean the Anything -> Triss path?

As someone who's moving from PC to console, I've been having problems trying to work out what to generate for my import save. I'm definitely going Roche, saving Aryan and killing Sile, but I just can't decide what to do about Letho and the Triss/Anais choice. On the one hand, Triss is your girlfriend, on the other leaving a child locked up with a madman and going to save your girlfriend instead is a massive dick move. As for Letho, I've always thought it's pretty clear that you kill him if you save Triss, but don't if you do the other route, as he makes up for everything by saving her himself.

Eh, I'll probably just flip a coin.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Spikeguy posted:

This is like a legal battle. Just watched the 2013 trailer and I assume the thing people get upset about is the part that says "in-game footage." So it's sort of up to you on how you take that.

Honestly, developers should probably just avoid saying it all together.

They should just label everything as concept footage until the last few months.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Voxx posted:

Thaler hype

Thaler's in it? I must resist watching that trailer. Only 6 hours to go...

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

oswald ownenstein posted:

Dumbest thing about this game has to be the 2 potion limit where you have to go into inventory to swap poo poo out.

That never changes does it?

Not really, but one of the tier 4 alchemy abilities activates another random potion whenever you drink with no toxicity downside. I've not quite got that one yet though, a point or two short.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I've found matches against the higher tier opponents turning into Spy Swap, with us playing spies, using decoys to take each other's spies, playing them again and then decoying them again and again

Gwent - The Great Game

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

You're all wrong. The correct woman choice continues to be Shani and she's not even in the game.

Triss wouldn't give Alvin sweets, and there's no way Yen would.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Arglebargle III posted:

Shani's like 17 dude.

She can't be. She was a med student in the first book in the series.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, soon after they meet in the first book of the saga.

Literally as soon as they meet.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Levantine posted:

No, I did it too. It's a difficult fight and you can't really make mistakes but it's totally doable.

Or you can go out the side exits with the goats, wait for the troll to de aggro, run in, steal the tools before Geralt draws his sword then escape while having successfully not killed a troll.

Don't kill trolls.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

There are some sacrifices we just have to make.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Randler posted:

Is the first storyline boss the griffin in White Orchard just generally supposed to be this much of a pain or is it Death March difficulty? Because up until know everything on Death March was challening but enjoyable, but the griffin basically feels way harder. (Though I had similar feelings about the first "real" boss monster in Witcher 2 as well.)

I found there are two difficulty spikes on Death March. That's one, then there's one a couple of missions away from the end. Near ending spoilers: Imlerith.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

evilmiera posted:

- This is probably one of the best sets of stories I've played in recent memory. It is up there with Planescape Torment in terms of how complex and deep it is, in terms of how varied its characters are and how much genuine emotion and feeling it conveys. And as a notoriously nitpicky individual, I can only recall 2 times that I felt there was a possible flaw in the story : When the Wild Hunt general at that giant oak decided to fight you alone despite knowing you were coming and having the time to call for reinforcements, which seems a massive flaw when he also expected that his target, Ciri, was going to be nearby, and Philippa transforming into an owl in the middle of the streets of Novigrad, a city known for burning mages at the stake (was she expecting to outfly the arrows of the local guard/witchhunters? Seems a weird risk to take, not to mention it might get the locals riled up enough to go hunting for more mages again). .

With the general at the top of the oak, if you tell him Ciri's there too, he implies he was looking forward to the fight. Might explain why he wanted to fight you alone.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pellisworth posted:

Mads Mikkelsen as Geralt pls

I didn't know I wanted this, but I want this. A lot.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Pellisworth posted:

I would hope Cyberpunk 2077 is radically inclusive in terms of gender, sexuality, and ethnicity. That would fit the setting where all that poo poo doesn't matter to society at large.

I mean, who cares what humans are doing when we can all be racist against elves?

E: Dammit, I read Cyberpunk as Witcher.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sydin posted:

A lot if it will hinge on TES VI. Skyrim catapulted Bethesda from well known but otherwise pedestrian game studio to cultural phenomenon. It can't afford to only manage the level of "okay but not great" that Fallout 4 did.

Morrowind is one of the best games ever made IMO. Not sure I'd describe Bethesda as pedestrian.